It's SNOWING!!!!

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

It's SNOWING!!!!

Post by Tyek »

I live near Rancho Cucamonga in So Cal and it is snowing. This only happens about 1 time every 5-7 years. Wind is blowing about 30-40 mph and the snow is actually sticking a bit.

Weird, but cool.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: It's SNOWING!!!!

Post by Sirensa »

We sent you some from Oregon - Enjoy! =D
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Vegas got lots of snow past few days. That's rare too. Was sent some pics from there.

Never snows down in Phoenix though. Not in last 10-15 years or more.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

We're expecting about 10" of snow overnight and through tomorrow. I'll mail you some if you want.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Two storms coming my way, can't wait! Now cue someone using snow in California as proof that global warming is a hoax.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Well, if there's a storm heading for Bubba in Wisconsin, and one heading for Dregor in Toronto, I wonder what that means for me in Michigan? :p

We're told to expect up to a foot tomorrow. I hope someone bought me a snowblower for Christmas.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

We're expected to get about a foot tomorrow, and maybe another big storm on Sunday... this is after I JUST got my power back on last night after it being out for 6 days due to the ice storm that came through on the 11th.

This is starting out to be one hell of a winter.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

What do you do to prevent your pipes from freezing when your power is out for 6 days?

I just bought a house that I had to repair some broken pipes in, so I'd like to try and avoid it happening again if our power goes out.

Go Blue!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Leave your water running at at least a fast drip on all of your faucets. If the pipes are outside and exposed, insulate them as well.

It is snowing here as well! There is a new cold front coming down from Seattle as well...temps should drop to 20s or teens, yay! :D
en kærlighed småkager
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

Sylvus wrote:What do you do to prevent your pipes from freezing when your power is out for 6 days?

I just bought a house that I had to repair some broken pipes in, so I'd like to try and avoid it happening again if our power goes out.
Actually Canelek I'm on a well so that doesn't work, in addition I have forced hot water heat - so doing that "trickle" trick wouldn't do anything for the pipes. However the "trickle" trick will help if you are on city water.

I was lucky and my father in law had a very small portable 2500 Watt generator. It wasn't strong enough to run my well pump (240 instead of 110) so I had no running water, but it was strong enough to run my furnace, and run the chest freezer so I didn't lose any food (aside from what was in the refrigerator).

However Slyvus - you "generally" do not have to worry about pipes freezing for days and days. I didn't even hook up the generator until day 3, when the temperature in my house finally got down to the mid 30's. It's only in extreme circumstances in which a well insulated house will have pipes freeze (i.e. house is vacant for a week or more in the dead of winter, or it's poorly insulated such as the underneath of a trailer home, or 100+ year old buildings in which the water systems were installed after the house was originally built).

Now of course there is exceptions to this, if it extreme temperatures (well below zero for sustained periods), but in my case it was 10 degrees outside, and it didn't even get into the 30's in my house until day 3 (and it has to get below freezing, and stay there for a significant amount of time before a pipe will actually burst from the freezing). When I bought my house, it was a foreclosure, and had busted pipes as well, however that's because it sat vacant, with the power turned off all winter long.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Canoe wrote:
Sylvus wrote:What do you do to prevent your pipes from freezing when your power is out for 6 days?

Actually Canelek I'm on a well so that doesn't work, in addition I have forced hot water heat - so doing that "trickle" trick wouldn't do anything for the pipes. However the "trickle" trick will help if you are on city water.

I was lucky and my father in law had a very small portable 2500 Watt generator. It wasn't strong enough to run my well pump (240 instead of 110) so I had no running water, but it was strong enough to run my furnace, and run the chest freezer so I didn't lose any food (aside from what was in the refrigerator).

However Slyvus - you "generally" do not have to worry about pipes freezing for days and days. I didn't even hook up the generator until day 3, when the temperature in my house finally got down to the mid 30's. It's only in extreme circumstances in which a well insulated house will have pipes freeze (i.e. house is vacant for a week or more in the dead of winter, or it's poorly insulated such as the underneath of a trailer home, or 100+ year old buildings in which the water systems were installed after the house was originally built).

Now of course there is exceptions to this, if it extreme temperatures (well below zero for sustained periods), but in my case it was 10 degrees outside, and it didn't even get into the 30's in my house until day 3 (and it has to get below freezing, and stay there for a significant amount of time before a pipe will actually burst from the freezing). When I bought my house, it was a foreclosure, and had busted pipes as well, however that's because it sat vacant, with the power turned off all winter long.
I just imagined Slyvus - Matt's sneaky, canny but basically no-good twin brother. Oh wai...
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

I don't know if it has anything to do with avoiding busted pipes when the water isn't being used because of the house being temporarily vacant but friends I had would turn off the water main and leave the water on to empty the pipes in their cabin in ski resorts when they weren't being used. I don't why or what for, just that they did!

I thought I'd contribute that... You're welcome.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

If you remove the water from the pipes, you remove the source of the pipes bursting.

Pipes burst because the water inside them freezes. When water freezes it expands. Pipes don't expand, so pop.
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

Truant wrote:If you remove the water from the pipes, you remove the source of the pipes bursting.

Pipes burst because the water inside them freezes. When water freezes it expands. Pipes don't expand, so pop.
Agreed.

But in my case with forced hot water heat, it's a little more complicated than just turning on the faucet :P
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

So I went out and cleared the driveway this morning about 6:15 ish and finished about 20-30 min later in time to get the kids ready for school. There was a good 2-3 inches at that time and the streets have not yet been cleared. By the time we got back outside at 7:00 am the driveway was covered again. It's still flying pretty well now at 8am.
Fenna
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fenna »

I'm 30 minutes south of Bubba, and it's even a little worse down here. Apparently Milwaukee is getting up to 12 inches today, haha. So far we've had 26 inches of snow in the Green Bay area this "winter" season. And it's not even winter until Sunday.

This storm is the big one coming across the US out of the West Coast. Our next one is coming out of the North from Minnesota, due Saturday night into Sunday morning. Another 5 inches or more.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

There was at least 4 inches of snow on my driveway when I left for work, and my drive took me twice as long as usual.

I got in to this email from my boss:
I'm taking a snow day today. If you're already in, try to get out of there as early as you can.

I'll keep an eye on email, and will still be available via cell phone if needed.

Drive safe and have a good weekend. :)
What time does that mean I can leave? Lunch?

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Well, if you can leave now, I would say that is "as early as you can" :)
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

If you can work from home I'd take full advantage of it. I think the weather man is on crack here. On the radio he said that we got 1.5 inches. I think it dropped 1.5 inches in the last 20 minutes. At times it is a complete white out up here. I am hearing about all kinds of accidents. A truck jack-knifed and took out a half dozen cars on the highway south of here but north of Fenna.

We are going to be getting IP Phones for our homes where we could work from home and have quality phone service as opposed to using our soft phones. I used to hate working from home but then I realized that I can sit and play WoW between calls. Works for me.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I know we're at opposite extremes, but i wish we could get some of your snow down here :(
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

It's pretty crazy here in Battle Creek, MI. I don't even leave for work until 2ish this afternoon. It should be an interesting drive to work!
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

*taps foot*

still waiting here....
Timmah.

Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

correction...its falling now..yay..
Timmah.

laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

I'm with Truant. Can I get some of your snow please?
Laneela
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I've got quite a bit you can have. It's sitting on my driveway and sidewalk and accumulating more as we speak. Feel free to bring a shovel and take all of it with you. ;)

Go Blue!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

It has stopped snowing here atm. However the wind has picked up and the drifting has begun. Yay.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Sylvus wrote:I've got quite a bit you can have. It's sitting on my driveway and sidewalk and accumulating more as we speak. Feel free to bring a shovel and take all of it with you. ;)
Could you ship it instead, you lazy bastard?
Laneela
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

It *almost* came down to the level of my house, but no quiet ( live on Mt. Baldy rd. & Padua) in Claremont. It's friggin cold up here, too. Just a short jaunt down the road to Vons on Baseline Ave, and the temp comes up 5 deg.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

We got some snow one night last week here in Houston. I havent seen that much snow here since some winter in the early 1980's when I was in elementary school. Before that it was 1972-73, right after I was born. We see flurries every now and then, but nothing that sticks.

It covered our front yard to the point where you really couldn't see any grass, I dunno about an inch thick, I guess. We don't have any big trees in out front yard, so we got a nice solid coat. It was completely gone by the next morning.

Anyway it was surreal. We had a great snowball fight and the dogs went crazy :)
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

We finially got some here altho not much in the city, but the stupid fucking garbage men didnt pick up on friday morn, so i called them at 4pm asking wtf?.. I get a recorded message that said " we are sorry but we wont be picking up ANY garbage today so next week on Saturday will will NOT charge you for 2x the garbage", etc.

Yay, the mail lady will be pissed cause i aint draggin that shit back up to the house (it kinda blocks the box)

Snow MORE DAmnit!
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

2nd storm inc!
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

We have about a foot accumulated at our house now (SW of Portland Oregon) - which is surreal!~ On top of the TEN INCHES we got yesterday, we got about an inch of freezing rain, now it's snowing again on top of that. Nuts :D I love it!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

oh i will show you ten inches!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

It snowed overnight Saturday into Sunday. A good 5" or so. The drifting made clearing the driveway a bit tough and it was really cold out. We now have 5' snowbanks on either side of the driveway now. Today is nice and sunny out but very cold with wind chills around 40 below 0.

Tomorrow we are supposed to get 3-5" and followed up by another 3-5" on Wednesday. Christmas should be nice a clear for traveling. Then snow hits again for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. HO HO HO
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

We got about 5 inches on Friday at my house, a little more at my girlfriends.. 2 more on Sunday.

Funny thing... I had just bought a shovel on Thursday night (bought a house in late october). I shoveled her sidewalk and a place for her to park when she got home from work, and when we left her house, I forgot my shovel there. On the way to my house we stopped at both KMart and WalMart and they were sold out of shovels. Borrowed a shovel from my neighbor to do the bare minimum at my house, and I keep forgetting to grab my shovel from her place.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Isn't that the Eskimo equivalent of leaving a toothbrush at her place?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I think I am going to drop some kids off at the pool.
en kærlighed småkager
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:oh i will show you ten inches!
i think you can get in a lot of trouble for exposing yourself 3 times.

Go Blue!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

only if you are a michigan football player

OOHHHHHHHHH SICK BURN!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Over a foot of snow on the ground now, but my stairs had about 3 due to drifts. Chains required everywhere. It is bizarre---people skiing and sledding and shit.
en kærlighed småkager
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

It's almost 80 degrees (F) today, tomorrow it's supposed to be 30.

For the last 2 weeks or so, we've been off and on freezing temperatures, and almost hot. It's annoying as piss, and causing a lot of my workers to have sinus/illness problems.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

This is going to be an interesting commute home this evening. We have almost an inch so far this morning, but it does not seem to be letting up... forecast calls for freezing rain later...woot ><
en kærlighed småkager
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Wheeee I'm going to my friend's cabin at Boyne Highlands on the 13th. :D SNOW MOAR PLZ!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I just went to Boyne Mountain on Saturday, lots of snow up north right now, the skiing is as good as it gets in Michigan. Have fun.

Go Blue!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Awesome. It had been 40 degrees a couple days before we went last year, so conditions were icy. I can't wait to get on the cedar bowl.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I've never been skiing before.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Snowboard instead!!

:vv_dance:
I'd hate Hillary just as much if it was a woman. ┌┘ Winnow
you pretentious fuckwits ┌┘ Nick
:roll: ┌┘ Miir
thoroughly groped┌┘ Xyun
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

A pipe burst in our kitchen last Sunday (as I was coming back from my bachelor party, we went snowboarding a few hours away). The line is the one for a Refrigerator ice maker (we don't have one) and I'm still not even sure why the faucet top (it's copper) burst off, the handle for the faucet just shot off, so I'm guessing some kind of ice in the line somewhere. The weekend it happened, we had some crazy temperatures for our area, was -9 or something stupid. We had an inch of water in the kitchen, middle floor living room and in the basement. I've had some people come out with the industrial size air blowers and dehumidifiers, bought a copper cap and used some teflon (?) tape to replace where the faucet was behind the fridge. Apparently it happened to a lot of people in the area, State Farm just now got in touch with me. Good thing this all happened 3 days before I left for Puerto Rico for our wedding, pretty neat present. Guess I'll find out when I get home what I could have done to prevent this, if I could have. We've been in the house for 2 winters already and never had problems.

Oh and our igniter for our furnace (gas) went out the same day, we're not sure if it's water damage that caused it (water had dripped into the area there) or the igniter going out causing the drop in temp and pipe bursting. However, from what somebody was saying earlier, it shouldn't have happened that quick, even with no heat for a day (I didn't know you to manually light the furnace and wasn't messing around with gas) the house didn't get below 58F.

Maybe it's all a sign that I shouldn't be getting married!
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Leonaerd wrote:Snowboard instead!!

The only thing I've ever done in snow is walk and stand.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Spang wrote:
Leonaerd wrote:Snowboard instead!!

The only thing I've ever done in snow is walk and stand.
You've never pissed in a snowbank??
I'd hate Hillary just as much if it was a woman. ┌┘ Winnow
you pretentious fuckwits ┌┘ Nick
:roll: ┌┘ Miir
thoroughly groped┌┘ Xyun