Where did you get your name?

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Ocelott
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Ocelott »

Got my name from a South American wild cat.

<edit- removed double sig>
Last edited by Ocelott on July 8, 2003, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ocelott Puppythief
Kitty Rogue
Veeshan

"You do not need a parachute to skydive, you just need a parachute to skydive twice"
luvinn/shadfisst
No Stars!

Post by luvinn/shadfisst »

Luvinn was a bit of fine tuning from a randomly generated name, Luvvin is what came out, but the 2 v's next to each other looked liek a W.
Before i had Luvinn i made a monk named jackasse as a joke. Ironicly i ended up playin em to lvl 53. But his named was Gm changed to Shadfist. Since i played a new monk now hes iksar so i made is shadfisst, kinda like a lizard hiss
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I got Masteen from a character in "Hyperion" by Dan Simmons. Het Masteen was the captain of a treeship, a living starship grown by this planet of tree-huggers. Perfect for a druid, but the name filter wouldn't take Het, so I used the last name first, Team JPN style.
murr
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by murr »

Murr was just a made up word my friends and I used for awhile. It had a few different forms.. the declarative (Murr.), the exclamatory (Murr!), & the inquisitive (Murr?). It was really more pronounced as MAR, but one day Durr popped into my head and I wanted to use it as a char name. When I remade on Veeshan, my gnome rogue automatically became Murr. Surname at 20 was a glorious day :) Lol, it still amazes me how many people never got my name. Even up until I quit EQ I had people who'd been in guild for over a year saying "Omg I never realized it! Murr Durr! haha!"
Murr - Fires of Heaven - Black Dragonflight
Moongrinn
No Stars!

Post by Moongrinn »

Any one ever play majoras mask? JK

Moongrin was actually the name of my Diablo2 char on useast.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Got my name from the Zelda games.
My last name comes from Guard Pineshade at the orc lift who saved my life so many times back in the day.
Indigoiod
No Stars!

Post by Indigoiod »

Used to play OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of doom and one of the chars you could choose from was indigo, played OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of deathmatch in that game and took the name Indigo Icon of Death so when i started EQ i tried Indigo and that of course didnt fly so i went with Indigoiod, whats funny is that i never really played much PK in EQ.

Indigo
Skunki
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Skunki »

skunki= smoked a lot of skunk bud in the past and my friends called me that for a nickname. Never planned on leveling the cleric up but got into it.
Skunki Goldenheal
Retired!
Abelard
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Abelard »

I got Abelard from two different places..I first saw it when I was playing on the tunare server before I moved here under the name Tridint(after the gum). When I started on Veeshan I rerolled under a half elf warrior after I remembered the name Abelard from the play Abelard and Heloise. I think there was a dark elf ench named Heloise on veeshan too, pretty neat.
Ninnia
No Stars!

Post by Ninnia »

Zinnia (a kind of flower) with an N! Some mean people call me 'Shrub' TT
Knibble
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Knibble »

I used to play Rogue Spear and my name was Nutnibbler and the guild called me nibs so when I retired from Rogue Spear to play EQ I made Knibble Megentlee.(I always had a nut fettish)
Knibble Megentlee
65 Prophet "Retired"
Keepers Of The Elements

Demma,Karelily,Knibble on Blackburrow(EQ2)
Plague of Darkness
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

When I was trying to decide what to roll as my first character, my friend (Tibias) who got me into the game told me to try a wood elf druid. Having taken Latin in high school, I decided on the Latin word for forest, "silva". Since that's the feminine form of the word, I changed the ending of the word to the nominative masculine ending "-us" and switched i to a y for extra manliness.

For my surname, Tyrstalone, I had just dinged level 20 in like July of '99 and couldn't think of a good last name. I was trying to think of a properly warlike last name and thinking of the Norse god of war, Tyr. Then, for whatever reason, a totally ridiculous notion popped in my head that I could make my whole name sound kind of like Sylvester Stallone and thus Sylvus Tyrstalone was born.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Knibble wrote:I used to play Rogue Spear and my name was Nutnibbler and the guild called me nibs so when I retired from Rogue Spear to play EQ I made Knibble Megentlee.(I always had a nut fettish)
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

http://expn.go.com/athletes/bios/SPRANG_SKOGEN.html

Its also Swedish for "Forest". I can't even convey how many /tells I have gotten in the past asking me if I am swedish!
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

My first character was a druid. I named him Vaedin, which was a modified version of Vaelin, the person responsible for the thriving civilization of the Minbari on Babylon 5.

The I made my wiz, and at the time I had (and still do) have this urge to read up on Warcraft lore. Khadgar (added an extra 'r' for my toon's name) was the wizard responsible for destroying the portal in War2.

Then I made the troll you all know and <3. Sargeras was the name of the demonlord whose tomb is buried deep in the ocean south of Lordaeron. He is the master of Kil'jaeden, and he is the reason Medivh brought the orcs to Azeroth in the first place. Even though Sargeras is long since dead, complements of Aegwynn (Medivh's mother), his power still exists and can be felt by those powerful enough to weild the most powerful magic of the Burning Legion. Medivh needed an army of muscle and steel to get to the tomb, and to keep the humans from messing with his plans. So revealing the tomb's location to Gul'dan (warlock of the Orcish Horde, and student to Kil'jaeden) about this power, was what he needed to summon Gul'dan and the entire Orcish horde to Azeroth. Conquest of a world for the Horde (hence the Warcraft series), and the power of a demonlord for Medivh.

Gudluvin was made to describe the personality that I try to play off on Sarge. I got it at level 23 while Brittney was PLing me at the SK aviak village. He thought of the word, while I came up with the spelling. And the rest is history.

I gotta finish DLing the Frozen Throne expansion, I hear the first 5 or so chapters are about Sargeras. :P
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Diae Soulmender
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Diae Soulmender »

Jiae Soulmender
Riae Soulmender
Giae Soulmender
Xiae Soulmender

I worked with these guys. They invited me to join EQ and offered to let me take a name like there.

So I took Diae Soulmender.

Our name 'iae' was just 3 letters tossed together by Jiae.

Our last name "Soulmender" was given to us by Jiae and Riae's friend in EQ who was, I believe, in Aradani. I cant remember the dudes name, but at that time he was higher level then Jiae and Riae so they thought he was a God. Apparently that dude took a liking to the Dwarf Triplets (Jiae/Riae/Giae).

As time went on more friends joined our EQ Addiction..

Qiae Soulmender
Fiae Soulmender
Biae Soulmender
Kiae Soulmender
Piae Soulmender
Tiae Soulmender
Eviliae Soulmender

and around 5-6 others like

Xriae Soulmender
Phiae Soulmender

and I cant remember the others.

The only original people playing there original characters are:

Xiae Soulmender (aka Bashiae Soulmender)
Diae Soulmender (aka Riae Soulmender, Kashmiir, Masiae)
Eviliae Soulmender (aka Qiae Soulmender)
Tiae Soulmender (aka Scorpn)
Biae Soulmender (very part time player)

All of the others have moved on or given there characters away. Not a single Soulmender in our Clan has ever eBay'd or made a profit from the game in 'real life'.

HEY! YOU ASKED GOD DAMN IT!
hehe
Khrashdin 80 Protection Paladin
Vox Immortalis - Hyjal-US
#1 World Ranked 10man Strict Achievement Guild
#3 World Ranked 10man Strict Progression Guild
http://www.guildox.com The Premier Guild Ranking Site
beasted
No Stars!

Post by beasted »

heh...

My names come from ridiculous stories that are only funny if you were there at the time, but since you asked:

My paladin's name came from "beh", the alias I'd use when I didn't want to use my real name, back in the days of Quake II.

The "ox" at the end... lol.
A friend of mine started using "0x" instead of "0r" at the end of words, as a joke... don't ask. =p
A year or so later when I needed a name for my first EQ character, "Beh" was too short, so I added the "0x" at the end.
Behox was born... it was supposed to be a joke, and coming from the world of simple shooter games, I wasn't really aware of how permament my name was going to be... otherwise I may have thought of something a little more creative... heh.

As for my warrior... a friend and I saw this abnormally large/hairy guy walk down my block while we were sitting outside... he started laughing hysterically and called the guy a beast. Then he described him later as "beasting"... so I made a warrior named "Beasting", and when I had to re-roll because I wanted a human instead of a barbarian, I wasn't "beasting" anymore... I was... Beasted?

heh

I told you, you had to be there... :\
Sovereign
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

After playing as one of the 2 million 'Aragorn's in UO (to be fair, I had no idea how popular UO would be), I began playing Baldur's Gate 1 while waiting for EQ to come out. During character creation, I made up the name 'Aranuil' for my ranger. When I started EQ, I chose that name for there as well. While not a direct rip off from Tolkein, it's close enough. ><

I've also used the name Suvien, which I made up.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Rellix CoastBearer.

I started EQ making 9 different characters. None got past the 8th level, until Rellix. Now the name proccess was awkward. I was sitting there with a friend of mine and I thought, I need a name that's not too long, not too short, and has a ring to it. I was thinking roleplay as well. Relic, is a sort of historical roleplay thing. Tried it, no workie. Relix I thought would work, but no workie. Rellix fit. I still to this day haven't seen Relix log on. But hey, Rellix sounds better anyway. CoastBearer, well uh... I was excited about hitting 20 and wanted something fast and innefficiant, like all Americans! Yeah so I made it up and it makes no sense. Bite me =P
miir and I are best friends. <3
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

none of you basterds have original names, un-original basterds!
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Marbus came from Lewlyns Cabbalistic Enc., he is like the some ranking Demon with numerious legions under him. Years ago I needed a new name for TF character as I was joining a clan/team (GO NAVY SEALS! - we kicked ass!). I was reading some ancient Hebrew mystic texts at the time (pre-Biblical - pretty cool though, had the information in there on how to make a Golum) and the mythical name of a demon seemed like a good choce for a Demolition man. The Cabbalistic Enc. I had purchased to help me figure out WTF some of the stuff I was reading meant... anyway the page was open to M and so became Marbus.

Funny thing is my personality is pretty anti-demonic, heh maybe my secret desire as a child was to take Darth's hand an rule the Galaxy... eh, heh, nm... but almost all online versions of Marbus since then have been Paladins or Healers. We use to all meet for lunch and talk about EQ at work and everyone started just calling me Marb in those settings so... now I often go by both as you see fromI sign off.

That's it :)

Cheers!
Marb
Ogbar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Greblaja

Post by Ogbar »

I am pretty sure we have done this thread before. Anywho ...

Ogbar: tweaked random name /shrug
Ogbar - a member of the Tiger's Roar retirement community
murr
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by murr »

Aranuil wrote:After playing as one of the 2 million 'Aragorn's in UO (to be fair, I had no idea how popular UO would be), I began playing Baldur's Gate 1 while waiting for EQ to come out. During character creation, I made up the name 'Aranuil' for my ranger. When I started EQ, I chose that name for there as well. While not a direct rip off from Tolkein, it's close enough. ><

I've also used the name Suvien, which I made up.
HALO14!?!?!#!)@#(@!#
Murr - Fires of Heaven - Black Dragonflight
Acies
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Acies »

Acies De`Umbra

It is latin. Can anyone translate?
Bujinkan is teh win!
Startica
No Stars!

Post by Startica »

Startica Jurai

Startica - Tenchi'an festival for Winter Solstice(?) and Christmas mixed in.
Jurai - Tenchi royal family silly!

I am otaku.
Pahreyia
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pahreyia »

Pahreyia - because Pariah wouldn't work. Carey - Sounded funny.
Soloing druid, seemed to fit.

Tarachi - Trouble. Yfantis - From the darkness... loosely translated from greek.
Anyone who knows me will understand the first name. The surname just looked cool.

Empyrea - Slightly altered Empyrion, meaning the crest of the sun rising from the horizon. Gay ranger name. :). Liunara - Guess.

Oodles O'Healin - Cleric, nuff said.

Terk - Was playing FF7 one night when I spun up a warrior, yup, first disc, fighting the Terks at the time.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

I thought up Drolgin because it sounded like a Dorf! And Steingrinder had the right sort of dorfish ring to it as well. So there. R U BORED YET?
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

Morgrym, name I have used since paper and dice days. More Grim /shrug seemed to be a fitting name for a Necro so there it is. The last name of Boneblack was given to me way back in the day from Abash and Helek.

Skrunch, hell if I know..Lizzy and face looked kinda skrunched up. Nmunch just kinda seemed to fit.

So there you have the idiocy that is the names
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Dexail
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Dexail »

the first character I really played was a druid. Never been that original with names so I was trying derivations of Darkseid (yeah, the evil guy from DC comics) and wound up with Aseid. Was reading the Harry Potter book when I was looking for a last name and thought Gryffindor sounded pretty druidish.

I had actually created my rogue before I made the druid and used a slight form of a nickname and came up with Dexail. Going along with the Potter reference, I made his last name Ravenclaw. However, I refuse to take Hugglepuff as my cleric's last name.

/shrug
Dex
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Kwonryu DragonFist
------------------------
Kwon is Fist in Korean.

Ryu is dragon in Japanese.

Dragonfist was the style i trained back then.

In Shaolin i was called Fei Long (Flying Dragon) because i really enjoyed the Dragonstyle particularly and especially flying kicks etc.

-

Grakk MojoMasta
--------------------
Grakk sounded like a fitting name for a Troll :D

I thought MojoMasta was fitting for a Shaman/Oracle type of caster.

Masta Of Da Mojoz!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Ashur was the name of the primary Assyrian god in ancient/pre-Islamic times, in fact I believe the name "Assyrian" is derivative of the "people of Ashur/Assur". I didn't do a lot of reseach, I just always liked the sound of the name and the ancient Assyrian empire was a very facinating period to read about back when I was a History major in college. The Assyrians rode roughshod over just about everyone they came into contact with for quite some time with a very militaristic empire of conquest.

Didn't hurt that it gave me the nickname "Ash", which is easy enough to remember.

I still get tells occassionally "Are you Assyrian?!"
- Ash
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

Ashur [FoH] wrote:Ashur was the name of the primary Assyrian god in ancient/pre-Islamic times, in fact I believe the name "Assyrian" is derivative of the "people of Ashur/Assur". I didn't do a lot of reseach, I just always liked the sound of the name and the ancient Assyrian empire was a very facinating period to read about back when I was a History major in college. The Assyrians rode roughshod over just about everyone they came into contact with for quite some time with a very militaristic empire of conquest.

Didn't hurt that it gave me the nickname "Ash", which is easy enough to remember.

I still get tells occassionally "Are you Assyrian?!"
I thought that was "Zuul", a demi-god worshipped around 6000 BC by the Hittities. Of course, we all know that Zuul was a minion of Gozer, who was very big in Sumaria!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

When Gozer the Destroyer comes you will be sorry you stole my MOBs I can tell you!
- Ash