Way too much time!

Basic Ice Cream 101

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

10 large egg yolks
1 1/4 c sugar
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 vanilla bean(Split and scraped)

Cream the yolks and the sugar togather (beat real hard) until they become a pale yellow color. put the cream, milk and vanilla bean in a saucepan and bring it SLOWLY to a boil, remove the vanilla bean and pour into the egg mixture slowly, whisking all the while. Place the mix in a bowl over a pot of bpoiling water (a double boiler for those that know the term) and stir until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. We call this a bridge, you dip the spoon, use your finger to cut a line across it and if the line holds you have "formed a bridge" and it's done. Strain with a fine mesh strainer and cool, then follow instructions on your ice cream maker.

Variations:
Alpine strawberry and Balsamico- First thing to do is find alpine strawberries, you can grow them easily (they are teeny and act like a groundcover, a pain to harvest but awesome flavor) or maybe find them at a farmers market. Basically just make the ice cream and fold in the strawberries and then the balsamic (either use an aged balsamic, or reduce the regular stuff until it's syrup thick [about 85% reduced]), freeze and yum
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Really simple Orange Sherbert...

14 oz Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
72 oz of Orange Crush

Mix well and turn in an Ice Cream Freezer...

You can substitute basically any fruit soda in this recipe for variety...:)
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: concreteeye

Post by Arundel Pajo »

Strawberry, Lemon and Fresh Mint Ice Cream

Make base same as Pherr's, but without the vanilla and without milk. Set aside, uncovered, to cool.

When base is cool, add 1/2 lb to 1 lb of fresh chopped strawberries, juice and zest from half a lemon, and a few fresh mint leaves (don't go overboard). Puree until smooth. If a super-fine ice cream is desired, you can sieve the puree to remove seeds and whatnot. I usually don't bother.

Freeze according to your ice cream freezer's instructions. This is great in the summer.

Lemon Ice Cream

Cut 2-4 lemons in half lengthwise and, being careful to keep the rinds intact, juice them into a large measuring cup (one with a pour spout).

Once lemons are juiced, use a sharp paring knife and a spoon to carefully remove all pulp from the rinds. Discard pulp, and you should be left with hollow lemon rinds resembling little bowls.

Add heavy organic cream and baker's sugar to the lemon juice until desired tartness/sweetness is achieved.

Line a large plate or baking dish with dried rice, dried beans, pastry weights, or some other substance to help stabilize the lemon shells. Personally, I usually use dried rice because it's cheap. Pushing the shells down into the rice, hollow side up, arrange them on the plate. Pour cream mix into each of the shells - the rice around the sides should stabilize them and keep them from rolling and spilling. Fill each one until totally full.

Freeze for about two hours, and remove shells from rice. You should now have several half lemons filled with ice cream. Using a sharp knife cut the lemons in half again lengthwise, to make wedges.

Serve in the peel and garnish with some fresh fruit and a sprig of mint.
Hawking - 80 Necromancer, AOC Mannannan server, TELoE
Also currently enjoying Left 4 Dead on XBL. :)
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Sorbets are harder, dunno if anyone has interest, if so I will post.

Jefferson
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:Sorbets are harder, dunno if anyone has interest, if so I will post.
Pherr I'd be interested. I was at a restaurant the other night, and had a lemon sorbet for desert. It was delicious, and interestingly, it was served inside of the body of a lemon. Any idea how this is done?
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Sorbet Syrup

7 1/2 cups sugar
5 1/3 cups water
1/2 cup corn syrup (light)

Bring all of this to a boil and boil for 3 minutes and then cool.

This is the base, simple eh?

Ok now what you want to do is realize a few things. First lemons are not lemons, different times of the year bring a different acidity/sweetness to various fruits and such, so you have, I say HAVE to adapt, start alil short then taste and add till it's right, you'll get a feel for it but it may take time (or you may have a gift for getting it).

When you mix the base, the flavoring and 1 egg white (yes it needs the egg white) remember to taste halfway one more time, and add more flavoring if need be (that way it can freeze).

Flavorings

Lemon- start with about 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (never used packaged crap) it'll prolly be closer to 3/4 but start at 1/2

Lime Basil- This is my specialty, it's rocks socks, 3/4 lime juice and a about 15 basil leaves ground in a blender and strained, it'll blow your doors off, the best intermezzo you'll ever eat

Champagne- subtle, elegant and sure to charm her pants off, 1 1/4 cup champagne

Sweet fruits- peaches, strawberries and the like. Add 1/4 cup lemon juice to 1 1/4 pureed fruit, you are looking for balance here, not candy. Acid is your friend when used properly, I can't stress this enough.

Balanced fruit- Raspberries, pomegranates, blood orangescurrents, Just add a cup of puree

Jefferson
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

So all I have to do is freeze it after getting the flavor right, and then I'm done? Ideally what kind of container should I freeze it in? I could try the body of the lemon, if you think it's safe to do so.

The lime basil sounds delicious btw. I'm a huge lime fan, so I might try that after I try the lemon.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Ohh duh, freeze it in an ice cream maker for sorbet, to make granita freeze it in a shallow layer and move it around with a fork until it freezes.

Ohh and there is nothing in a lemon that'll hurt you, to high in acid for stuff to like it there

Jefferson
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Hehe I was more meaning, I'd be liable to screw up the presentation by poking a hole in the side while I was trying to carve out the insides or something.

Hmmmm... I'm wondering if they used an ice cream maker first, or if they just froze the mixture inside the lemon shell... I'll look online.

Found the following... http://whatscookingamerica.net/SorbetLemon.htm

Looks like it can be either done in an ice cream maker, or done in the prefrozen lemon shell.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

FOr texture purposes you'd want to make it in a ice cream maker, this incorperates air into it and makes it smooth, otherwise it'll be pretty damn hard

Jefferson
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Ahh ok, I'll price one out.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Cuisinart makes a decent one for like 50 bucks new, if you can find the delonghi for about the same it's a better machine (delonghi is the shiznit). If you are serious you can get the one I have, it's close to 200 bucks but I have made so many ice cream and ices it has been worth every damn penny. I found it here http://www.eshop.msn.com/eshopframe.asp ... opping%3d1 and the price is about right, it's a GREAT machine, one you will use often, won't take up freezer space (the cheaper ones force you to prefreeze the canister) and stops itself at the perfect point. Great damn machine

Jefferson
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

If you're in a rush, though, you can prepare it as a granita by pouring the sorbet mixture into a shallow container and freezing it. Stir it every 15 or 20 minutes as it freezes to develop a slushy consistency. Scrape up the granita with the edge of a largish metal spoon. The end product lacks the texture of sorbet, but has the flavor.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Granita is wonderful, I serve it all the time at my work, it is a different texture but in a good way

Jefferson