New Hockey Rules

What do you think about the sports world?
Dups.
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

New Hockey Rules

Post by Dups. »

So, What do you hockey fans think about the new rules?
The National Hockey League's General Managers today endorsed a series of recommendations for the 2004-05 season that, if ultimately forwarded as rule changes and approved by the Board of Governors: would prohibit goaltenders from handling the puck behind the goal line, would reduce the width of goaltenders' legpads from 12 inches to 10, would return the goal lines to 10 feet from the end-boards - thus restoring six feet to the neutral zone - and would restore the "tag-up" offside rule.
This would be interesting if they go through. I kinda enjoyed seeing certain goalies attempt to play the puck behind the net and getting screwed by coughing up the puck.

The one concern that comes to mind about the goalie not being able to go behind the goal line is that there will be many more footraces for the puck to negate icing or whatnot. Which as we all know often causes players to stupidly have to fight to touch the puck first and often end up flying head first into the boards.

:roll: :wink: I think they should bring back the rule of not being allowed to have a toenail in the crease. :roll: :wink:

So, what's your stand on it :?:
I have no sense of decency. This way , all my other senses are enhanced!
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

doesnt seem like it will do shit to me.

they really need to tone down the obstruction or whatever you want to call it that really stifles offensive play.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I'm all for more scoring. I can't say that this is the panacea that will make all games 10-8, but I think it'll help out to some degree.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Not enough. Until they do something to curtail the homosexual wrestling that shitty teams use to slow down scoring threats, hockey will continue to slide into the shitter.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Need to nuke the red line too. Goalies should be able to be hit if they come out of the crease just like any other player. They're the most protected on the ice, why shouldn't they be taking hits like everyone else?
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Because then they might hurt their poor widdle groins and only play in 14 games a season. :-x

Go Blue!
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

It's all about the proposed new scoring plan:

3 points for regulation win
2 points for overtime win
1 point for overtime loss

Also proposed was a shootout after 5 minutes of overtime play which means no more ties. Lovin it...
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Yeah but you're a girl, what do you know?

:twisted:

Go Blue!
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I've said it before. But I endorse every single one of Buccigross' ideas for rule changes.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

I hate the shoutout idea.

Getting rid of the red line seems cool for now, but players will just start dumping the puck from the other blue line doing the dump-and-chase routine. Extremely boring.

Goalies should get knocked onto their asses if they move out of the crease.

Tag-up rule owns.

I also would like to see them make it an automatic whistle for icing to speed up the game and reduce injury to other players.

3 points for a win is just to extreme for me and will be a while to get used to it. Pretty soon, team records will look like this (42-20-15-7-3-5)
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Lynks wrote:Pretty soon, team records will look like this (42-20-15-7-3-5)
How do you figure? The whole point is to do away with ties meaning it would look more like (42-20-15-15) (W-L-OTW-OTL) Unless I'm not understanding what you're trying to say in which case, ignore me.

I think the shootout idea is pure genius. I'm all for doing away with ties and I think a shootout would be a real fan pleaser. Also I think the proposed point system is brilliant. Teams will be less inclined to let the game go into overtime in fear of losing a point (3 points vs. the 2 pt. for OT win) which should improve offensive play.
Laneela
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Shootouts will be excellent, I can't think of a single bad reason to NOT have them if the five minute OT period fails to resolve the game.

The only addendum to that rule I would add is that shootout goals should not count towards a players goal/point total. They should be an individual stat which is separate.

Shootouts give the offensive players a chance to shine, as well as great goalies like Brodeur to make amazing saves. I think that will be one of the best decisions they could make right now.

Playoff games need to be continuous sudden death OT though. It would suck to lose the Stanley Cup on a shootout.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Everybody knows what the problem is, it just seems like people are afraid to try and enforce it.
-You purposely try and tie up someone w/out the puck or actively going for it, you get penalized
-You get a penalty for it's entire duration regardless of whether a goal is scored on the offending team or not

And you enforce the fucking thing

Saying a goalie can't handle the puck behind the net is stupid as it really only targets a handful of goalies. And it really isn't a problem anyway. Just because Brodeur can handle the puck doesn't mean garth fucking snow is trying to. And believe me, he thought he could after watching Hextall for the few years. Fucking oaf. Shit, how many fans held their breath everytime Fuhr stepped out of the crease. It's a useless rule and it's got NY sports fans up in a tizzy in the radio today because the Islander and Devils each have a goalie that can pull it off. I don't give a shit about either of those teams but the fans do have a point.
I have no problem w/ pad width if goalies are still safe

Ohh yeah, and maybe we should hold off on more expansion teams while we're at it. Try not to dwindle the talent pool ehh? Seriously, who gives a shit if the Peoria Wingnuts win?
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

I like all this, OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS, but I would add one more thing...

Want more breakaways, more exciting one on ones, more goals???
Bring back the fucking 2 line pass
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

The thing about shootouts is that hockey is a TEAM sport. Shootouts place the team's fate into 6 individuals. As a player, you just stand there and wait, and you cant do anything about it.

But, I would be ok with it if it was only during regular season games. The NHL better not touch the playoffs. I can't think of anything better than staying up till 1:00 am seeing your team in 4th overtime.

AS for the (42-20-15-7-3-5) comment I made, it was just an exageration of the NHL putting more stupid stats to the game. Overtime losses...who cares! The team lost, end of story.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Goalies should be able to touch the friggin puck behind the net, how many scoring chances have been made because of mistakes, I would add that if a goalie leaves his crease he is fair game, if he wants to 'hold' the puck back there until the last second he gets his ass knocked down, this would create their no goalie behind the net rule anyways. The shootout is after 1 or 2 OT periods of 4 on 4, I think its a great idea. Make teams play for the win, it doesnt take away from the team aspect at all, just means you better have some guys that can put the puck in the net by themselves. I would see a lot of changes and teams not having as many guys that just clog up the ice, thus restoring finesse to hockey.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

What they should do is get rid of maybe 5 teams. That would restore finesse to hockey by not spreading talent too thin.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Getting rid of the red line seems cool for now, but players will just start dumping the puck from the other blue line doing the dump-and-chase routine.
Getting rid of the red line doubles the size of the zone that a trap defense has to cover thus greatly reducing it's effectiveness.

The league needs to negate the trap, it's the main reason many games are just so fucking boring. The trap is a system that allows less skilled teams to be competitive and sucks most of the excitement out of the game.
The trap cant defend against outlet passes from the defensive zone to the opposite blue line. You'll see more odd man rushes, more aggresive forechecking and the skilled players will have more freedom to do what they do best.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

miir wrote:
Getting rid of the red line seems cool for now, but players will just start dumping the puck from the other blue line doing the dump-and-chase routine.
Getting rid of the red line doubles the size of the zone that a trap defense has to cover thus greatly reducing it's effectiveness.

The league needs to negate the trap, it's the main reason many games are just so fucking boring. The trap is a system that allows less skilled teams to be competitive and sucks most of the excitement out of the game.
The trap cant defend against outlet passes from the defensive zone to the opposite blue line. You'll see more odd man rushes, more aggresive forechecking and the skilled players will have more freedom to do what they do best.
Im aware of that but it wont create more oddman rushes. It will just open the door for dumping the puck into the offensive zone from over half the rink. Basically, they are just substituting one flaw for another.

Getting rid of the 2-line offside pass would get rid of the trap just the same without any drawbacks.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Well I think they made some good calls and blunders. The nice thing is they can test most of this in the AHL before it becomes real.

Goaltending equip etc - not the first time its been addressed but it can't hurt. Just look at the pictures of someone like Patrick Roy when he started his career and look when he retired: There has been a HUGE change in the bulk these guys take up.

Goaltenders handling the puck - a lot of people have said that goalies outside the crease should be fair game. I disagree slightly: goalies playing the puck behind the goal line/net should be fair game. You have to protect goalies who come out a bit to play the angles. I think it was Greg Millen (former NHL goaltender with Pit and a few other teams... now a comentator up here) who commented that by not allowing the goalies to handle the puck, its going to mean forechecking forwards are going to be able to use more speed and thus hit the defensemen harder in the corners... thus increasing the injuries. I do think goalies should be allowed to handle the puck though.

Tag up offisde - Love it! Welcome back!

More penalty shots for breaks even without absolute puck control - good thing.

Shootouts and more points for wins, etc - you know, as a Canadian who watched us lose an Olympic gold medal in Lillehammar to a shootout, I will never be a fan. My great fear is that if they adopt shootouts in the regular season, how long before they bring them into the playoffs? I never want to see a shootout in a playoff game. A team who works harder and plays more disciplined than a more talented team should not have their work ethic thrown away to a shootout. The additional point formulations... well...I think OTL pts right now are welfare. If they move to a W, L, OTW, OTL format I think at least its more fair to teams that win outright, compared to the way things are now. Will the increased point totals make teams open up? No way... unless they are behind in a game where they absolutely must have those points to keep their playoff hopes alive.

Messing with the lines - not sure how much impact the widening of the bluelines will have (as proposed for the AHL next year). Elminating the red line from the 2 line pass rule might help (as per the World Juniors) but I think I would like to see that tested.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Kaelina
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kaelina »

Yeah, under no circumstances do I want shootouts in the playoffs. Playoff games need to be decided like they currently are. Full OT periods until someone scores.

oops: last post was from Xou! forgot to change users.
Last edited by Kaelina on February 13, 2004, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Even if they implement shootouts, I can't see it carrying over to playoff games. It doesn't make any sense financially (the longer people are in the arenas the more they spend money - though during OT in playoffs, many people don't leave their seats to go to the bathroom, much less to buy a beer) and isn't as exciting. I think what the gm's are trying to accomplish is to make the game exciting again for people who've lost interest.
Laneela
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

miir wrote:

That's very possible. I might even try to enforce a rule where the offence line cannot skate backwards between the blues. Bitch to enforce but it certainly can help keep pressure to keep the puck in the offensive zone.

bleh, just shooting at targets here, could be a decent idea

Thing about the trap is that every team has the ability to do and run the defence the exact same way the Devils do yet they just do it better. The only reason to take it out is not to enable parity between teams but to make the games less boring. I know you've been vocal to me about how boring the Devils are to watch and I don't blame you. I keep my excitement for their games because I want them to lose so much heh