Need some tech help please

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Brotha
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Need some tech help please

Post by Brotha »

I've posted in some kind of windows help forum and got no response. Have tried defragging, virus scanning, re installing windows, and I've DLed the new windows patches, nothing has worked. I don't know shit about computers, but maybe someone here does.

I can play music just fine. Can play solitaire and those kind of games. Can DL anything and play video clips fine too. But when I play a real game (have tried UO, TFC, and other games), it works just fine for about 5 minutes, then suddenly closes. Most of the time it'll flash off and exit the game, other times I get some error with Kernel.DLL, and have to turn off my computer and let it sit for awhile, or I'll just get some error (again usually Kernel.dll...or maybe it's Kernal, can't remember exactly) when windows is loading back up.

The computer isn't incredibly slow or anything. It's a compaq and I use Windows ME. I know windows ME sucks ass, but I'm not going to be able to upgrade it anytime soon.

Is there anything that you guys can think of that might solve these problems? Thanks in advance
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

You probably have bad RAM and its giving you memory faults. If you have more than one stick then take one out and play a game and see if it crashes, and if it does then swap sticks and try again.

If you only have one stick then you'll have to buy/borrow another one.

That or you're trying to play PC games on your Intellivision again.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Actually, how much RAM do you have installed in it? A co-worker of mine was having the same problem, and lowering the amount of installed RAM to 256 fixed it. WinME doesn't recognize anything over that I believe.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

If it were a ram issued don't you think he would have experienced other problems besides the one he has? The first thing I thought of was your video card. That might not be able to handle the graphics. Then again, I had probs going into Kedge keep long ago due to the computer suddenly locking up or kicking me out of the game and it turned out to be the Soundcard. It couldn't handle the underwater sounds. Point is, just because it doesn't sound plausible doesn't mean that it can't be the problem. Check each piece.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

RAM can do very crazy things to your machine. Windows ME (and all the Windows 95-98 software) will not be able to use more than 512 mb of RAM and can get errors if you have more than that in it.

Just because it is only happening in games that are likely using Direct3D, I would lean towards video drivers. If you have just done a fresh install of Windows (and I mean formatting the drive and starting from scratch), then I would look for the latest video and sound drivers from the manufacturers of your cards. you may even want to look into downloading DirectX 9.0a. If you do upgrade your DirectX, make sure to reinstall the latest video and sound drivers AFTER you do the DirectX upgrade.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

The reason I mentioned the RAM first is that with WinME it CAN cause fonky problems. Also, it's always easier to change one thing at a time rather than go down a list and check each off. That way when you borked it up more, you know what you did in order to ficks it!

*edit* This is actually the exact same problem my co-worker was having. Yes, other things on her machine got fonky too, but she was only using it for EQ most of the time. The part about only being able to be in a game for about 5 minutes is what sparked the comparison. First things she tried were the downloads (drivers, DirectX, etc). When none of them worked she took out the extra memory and all was well.
Brotha
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Brotha »

Thanks for all the replies.

I have 256 mb of ram. Kyou, I have no idea where any of that stuff is in the computer lol. I'd probably end up fucking something up. Yeah Kilmoll, I reinstalled windows totally from scratch. I'll try DLing the newest version of direct X.

Like I said, I don't know much about computers, but I'm getting all sorts of error messages. I think there's OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS wrong with this computer.

If all of this fails, I'll hopefully just be able to get a new computer within a few months, or will try upgrading to windows XP or 2000. Pretty sure I can get them cheap from the college, but I've heard that when you upgrade windows it's very flaky and you can lose stuff. I don't have a zip drive and have a ton of stuff on here that I don't want to lose.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Zip drives are alright but you need a cd burner. Cd's are dirt cheap and hold a lot more info. You have the right idea in switching away from WinME.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

512MB is kind of the cap for RAM with Windows ME.

you can run more than that, but let's say you have a 128MB video card, because Windows ME is built on an entirely piece of shit OS that is built on another entirely piece of shit OS that never in its history has managed memory in any sort of sensible way - who will ever need more than 640k of memory!?! - you would run into the limitations of that piece of trash. the OS can't address much more memory than that and do anything else at the same time.

so with 256 you aren't pushing that limit, so it isnt a vcache problem. so you should be fine there. i would rule out the OS as a problem.

If you can't upgrade to WindowsXP i'd drop down to Windows98 Second Edition.
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

Wow compaq and windows ME. I would say you're screwed.

Compaq's are the current day Packard Bells of computer quality. Throw a craptacular OS like windows ME on top of it and you are just plain fucked.

I was having similar problems and an update of the motherboard bios fixed everything. Check all your bios levels and make sure they are current. Compaq should have them at their site.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

if he doesnt know how to check his RAM , you sure as hell shouldnt be telling him to flash his BIOS :)
Kargyle
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kargyle »

Actually, only the consumer line of HP/Compaq products suck. If it says Presario, don't buy it. However, the commercial line of desktops is actually pretty solid. Just blow away the overly bloated factory image that comes installed on it.
The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion. - Thomas Paine
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Also, changing the HD from the factory crap to something better helps. The Presario I had blew through two replacements before I said screw the warranty and put my own in.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Could well be a heat problem as well, playing solitare and generally idling the machine isn't exactly stressing anything, and 5 mins of 100% processor activity is enough to push the temp high enough to crash your machine if the fan isn't performing..

Most newer machines have a "power" setting in the BIOS where you can look at what the current temperature is of some components when you reboot after a crash.. if you've got a CPU anywhere near 65-70C by the time you get rebooted and into the BIOS you've got a cooling problem.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

I hear an awful lot of bad things about Win ME, but I have had virtually no problems at all on the 2 ME machines I have had running EQ and other apps for the last 2 years or so. I think they key is to not load too much crap onto the machines. Remove the junk from startup and don't download shit from the internet. Keep your drivers up to date and buy reputable products.

The only problem I have seen so far is that a clean install failed on the machine that Homer just built. A formatting and re-install cleared that up. It has been the most stable OS I have had to date.

Anytime I have a problem, I start with the basics. When you reinstall, test the machine without installing video drivers or sound drivers. Don't add any applications. test it and then install a piece at a time and retest. If you get no errors until you install a piece, then you have most likely found your problem.
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Zaelath probably hit on the best answer, when you go into a game you are usually pushing your processor and video card much harder. I would do a simple check, pop your case, use some canned air to blow out the inside of your case. Watch your fans, make sure they are all spinning. If this is all true, leave the cover off and try it.

Usually this will solve the problem if it is heat related, and it is cheap next to other possibilities, and if it turns out to be a heat issue, count the number of intake fans, and count the out fans. Add one or the other if the count is uneven, organize your cabling so it does not block the throughput of air, and if you have vents blocked, UNBLOCK them
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Fallanthas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fallanthas »

I'd say it's a heat issue.

Get the computer somewhere fairly open, remove the case and fire up a game. See if that allows you to play longer.

If so, you need to install some more airflow. compaq cases suck for being overcrowded.
Kargyle
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kargyle »

Most Compaq cases are designed for air flow when they are closed, and actually run hotter on the inside when the case is open. If you are going to run with your case open make sure and point an external fan into the case.
The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion. - Thomas Paine