Xbox One's downloadable launch games

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Xbox One's downloadable launch games

Post by Animalor »

Crimson Dragon
This is a fun, pretty but repetitive little game. I wouldn't pay 15$ for it but if it comes down to 5$ or 10$ it's worthwhile.

I played through it on Normal. Classic is the harder mode. When you play in Classic, you gain more experience and you also get some of the game's micro-transaction currency at no charge, which is a nice bonus.

It's a fun game that I will probably end up going back to.

Powerstar Golf
This was 25% off down from 20$ to 15$ last week.

It's a competent golf game in the same veins as Hot Shot Golf. You can level up your golfer however that doesn't appear to do anything and my golfer doesn't appear to get any better. One of my beefs with the game is that shots appear to be wildly unpredictable as far as distance, with shots coming up far short of what was predicted in the shot preparation.

It can be as fun as it is aggravating at times.

Max and The Curse of Brotherhood
Really well done platformer build with the Unity engine (traditionally used on mobile platforms). You can see that Unity is pretty rough on Xbox One as the frame rates tend to stutter every now and again even though there's nothing going on here that would warrant it.

Inventive puzzles, fun platforming and exciting moments are littered throughout this game. Cannot recommend it enough.

Peggle 2
More Peggle. If you liked the original then get this. You won't be disappointed. New masters are pretty fun to play.

Halo: Spartan Assault
This is the Windows 8/Windows Phone 8 twin stick shooter ported to the Xbox One. I was surprised how well it played on Windows 8 and it's even better on the Console/TV. Non-touch controls make for a much more precise and fun experience. All the Halo weapons and enemies are here. Level are fun and bite-size making for shorter, but still very intense experiences.

Another fun thing is that MS is leveraging their cloud sync on this title and my progress is automatically available cross-devices, wherever I play the game. The unfortunate part of that is you need to buy the game separately on all 3 platforms.

Unplayed
I haven't played Lococycle nor have I played a lot of Killer Instinct.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Xbox One's downloadable launch games

Post by Animalor »

Apparently Crimson Dragon got patched today and they added multiplayer. I will investigate this tonight.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Xbox One's downloadable launch games

Post by Animalor »

So LocoCycle is 10$ this week so I bought it and just played for about 90 minutes.

This one but pretty shitty reviews and I can understand how that happened. Gameplay is shallow, graphics are last gen(putting it kindly) and the whole concept is completely ridiculous..

..and had it not been that this is a Twisted Pixel game, that last one would've been much more of a problem.

Here's the thing. If you enjoyed Splosion Man or Comic Jumper's humor, you'll probably find something that you enjoy here.
The humor(at least so far) hasn't been as good as the latter 2 games but there has been some lol-worthy moments in the cut scenes.

At 20$, I can't recommend this to anyone. For 5-10$, you'll get some humor, entertainment and more of those funny, completely awkward FMV sequences that Twisted Pixel make alongside with a game that is at best, completely average.