Altomail by AOL...yes AOL. Try it!

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Altomail by AOL...yes AOL. Try it!

Post by Winnow »

I signed up to get an account for Altomail which is a free service offered by AOL...hard to believe but something good has come out of AOL. This isn't your old disk spamming ISP service AOL anymore.

Altomail takes your gmail, yahoo, icloud, AOl or possibly other types of email accounts and presents it in a much more friendly way.

To sign up go here:

https://login.altomail.com/

Type in your email account to get an invite. I received an account in about 5 days.

Here's a video of what it's about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqZclFWrEY4

It basically filters your emails into stacks. Some premade ones like photos, attachments, social crap (facebook, etc), advertisements (newegg flyers, best buy, etc), and then you can easily breat a stack for a person or group of people or any other stack you want.

This may not sound that interesting but it works incredibly well and the UI is super slick and works well.

Highly impressed. It's worth your time to try it out with one of your email accounts. It doesn't create a new email account for you, just uses whatever email account (or accounts) you give it. Completely web based.

I have all of my email accounts handled through google so I used my google account so I can see all emails from all of my email accounts. There is integration with Google Calendar and Google Drive as well.

The UI is anti-obnoxious. Looks great. As you click around your various stacks (there's also standard inbox full list), tabs are created at the top of the screen to easily move between recently viewed stacks. The photo stack is great. I saw images in there I hadn't seen in a long time, it also links the emails so it's easy to delete what you don't want in a visual way as opposed to rooting through your emailed for attachments and images. The attachment stack shows all the pdfs, docs, etc files.

You can choose whether you want an email designated for a stack to go directly to the stack (skip inbox) or still show up in your inbox. For example, I still want to see emails from my bank in my inbox but also want them to go to the stack so I set it up to do both. You get a little "new" icon on your stacks as well so even if you choose to send directly to stack without seeing it in your inbox at all (like newegg specials), you'll still be aware there are new messages in your stacks.

You can view stacks as pages (fully formated, arrow key navigation between emails). This works well for ads, subscription newsletters, etc), you can view in tile view (works well for daily sale special type emails, and in a more traditional list view) The page view looks fantastic. (Apple, Best Buy, Newegg ads look fantastic in page view for example)

The search feature works and looks great as well. If you hover over the stack, it shows you the latest email, or just shows that email if you don't choose an image.

You can add cover images to your stacks as well, (bank logo for example) to make it easier to visually identify stacks

Seriously, try it. It took me all of ten minutes to determine it's the way I'll be viewing my emails from now on.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Altomail by AOL...yes AOL. Try it!

Post by Zaelath »

You'll be pleased to know then that gmail has ripped off that tabbed email idea.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:You'll be pleased to know then that gmail has ripped off that tabbed email idea.
Altomail is great. If it, along with Mailbox and other new clients finally get the major email providers to put some effort into their clients, it's a good thing. I think Yahoo just updated their email client this weekend as well.

Give it a shot.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Pass!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Pass!
Why? Or it it just another one of the "key word" instant denials you have which appear to be your MO? Just curious. Don't care if you use it or not.

Don't bother responding unless you have an actual intelligent response.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Because I process my email as it comes in. I don't need it processed into 'stacks' which basically just sounds like a filter which is cake to set up with any email client. This is just one more "point of failure" for the inevitable 'AOL got hacked' scenario.
Winnow wrote:Don't bother responding unless you have an actual intelligent response.
You're not the boss of me! I'll do what I want!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Good for you!

For those that don't have a zero message inbox, Altomail works really well. It's much better (and more) than just fancy folders but if someone else actually tries it out, we'll have more than one opinion to go by.

Email is a pretty boring subject so this had to be extremely special for it to stand out to me. I'll now see how it holds up over the next month. Reliability is always the most important factor.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Got an invitation in about twelve hours. Not gonna use it.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Winnow needs a Snickers.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

So far so good after one day!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Spang wrote:Got an invitation in about twelve hours. Not gonna use it.
Wish I was retiring soon, then I could get in line for the next iProduct and not buy it.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.