Support, Discussion, Reviews
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Please Help Me

Post by Tyek »

I am probably better on computers then the general public user, which means I am no where near the level of ability of the users on this site. So PLEASE HELP ME. I have been tagged hard by some weird redirect virus issue. I get rid of it and the next day it is back. I type something in to look up, click the link and get either Spry Magazine or Relish website or Searchnow. I have tried everything I know and everything I have read and it works for a bit, then bam, issue back. Any ideas?

It is almost impossible to use the computer because I want to smash the screen and I will never use either of those sites even if I wanted to because I now HATE them.

Thanks!
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Please Help Me

Post by Funkmasterr »

It sounds like a root kit. I know of a good tool to get rid of them but can't think if the name off the top of my head. If no one helps you before I get home I'll let you know.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Thanks
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Stonie
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Stonie »

The best way to be sure is to low-level format your hard disk and re-install a fresh OS.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

I wouldn't go that far, but you will probably find it quickest to reinstall Windows to a new folder (if it's Windows 7 it will just move your current one to windows.old).

Make sure you backup all your saved passwords first, documents, etc. The files will still be in /windows.old/users but it's a pain in the arse to get to them.

We used to have a process for cleaning most of this shit up at work, but it was an all day process of scanning machines from boot CDs and sometimes manual removal on top of that, it's way more hassle than it's worth.

The only way a fresh install won't clean the issue up is if the root infection is on a USB stick, or the MBR, or some site you regularly visit.... and there's only one of those that would be any different if you used a new HDD.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

If you decide to try and remove it, remember to disable your system restore. Then when you feel confident you did what you could, reboot and then turn system restore back on.

If you knew when this happend you could actually use a system restore. As you aren't sure when you got this virus, a system restore would be hit or miss depending on how far you went back.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Explode that drive with a reformat grenade and stay away from Limewire this time.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Leonaerd wrote:Explode that drive with a reformat grenade and stay away from Limewire this time.
Never use Limewire, I do use Newsleecher though
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I keep everything on seperate drives so when I have to reformat it takes me about 15-20 minutes. I haven't had a nasty virus in years but I have cleaned off a couple from co-workers home PCs for them. Trying to diagnos what you have and DLing the proper tools to get rid of the virus is time consuming and a frustration unto itself.

Reformatting is much faster and works 100% of the time so that's what I would suggest!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Just some advice for the future.

1. create an OS partition that's reasonable in size ~150GB

-these days, buying a 128GB SSD or 256 GB SSD HD specifically for your OS would be the best solution.

2. Buy Acronis True Image and make monthly back ups of your OS partition (should only take 15 mins max and can be done in the background. Be sure to burn the recovery DVD)

3. If you run into trojans/virus, etc you can't get rid of, restore your last OS partition from within the last 30 days. (use one 2 months old if the 30 days one has issues as well) Restoring to an SSD drive is also hella fast. This also prevents you from having to re-install and configure all of your programs and settings. All you lose is any program you setup within the last 30 days which usually isn't much at all.

4. Keep all of your personal files, etc as far away from that OS partition as you can.

As for your current situation. Download the free virus scanner named after that crazy fuck Kapersky that's been in the news.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/free ... INT1675328

It should at least detect all the trojans and viruses on your PC so you at least know what you're dealing with.

Here's a huge list of free virus scanners but in the end they recommend Kapersky but on the rare occasion a different scanner might detect the issue.

http://www.7tutorials.com/test-comparis ... us-scanner