Microsoft's IllumiRoom

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Microsoft's IllumiRoom

Post by Winnow »

Not sure I like this:

http://kotaku.com/5974616/microsofts-il ... game-level

Maybe part pf next Xbox. They'd need to improve on it to make it useful and not cause headaches. If they has some sort of projector that could provide more detail it might be ok.
Microsoft’s IllumiRoom Concept Turns Your Entire Room into a Video Game Level

Microsoft and Samsung apparently think that your TV—no matter how big it is—isn't big enough. That's the only possible explanation for the two companies' partnership on IllumiRoom project, which projects images and colors across the space that you're playing video games in.

Shown off at CES during Samsung's keynote today, IllumiRoom pairs up a Kinect camera with a projector to accomplish its very cool-looking feats. The Kinect apparently takes geometrical data of the physical space, which gets fed to a projector that blasts expanded imagery on the walls and furniture where you are. It's a bit reminiscent of Philips' amBX technology but way, way more ambitious than just changing colors.

IllumiRoom looks a lot like the concepts teased out in the Immersive Display Experience patent that Microsoft recently filed. The possible applications of this tech—hinted at in the video above—are mind-blowing. And, man, that part where the room looks like it's vibrating is really frickin' cool. Here's hoping that something like this winds up in the next Xbox and that we all get giant living spaces to play with this stuff in.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Microsoft's IllumiRoom

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, not interested. It's just another gimmicky thing that wouldn't have a big impact on games outside of Wii party type games.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I'm on board. I have the perfect room for it.

Immersion is the #1 thing I want out of my video games. It's why I have a triple monitor set up on my PC with 5.1 surround. It's why I have a 70" 3D TV with 7.1 surround in a black out room. Anything that allows me to get further into the experience is going to get bought!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Just drop some acid first. Cheaper and there's some immersion for ya...
en kærlighed småkager