War hammer 40k: Space Marine

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

War hammer 40k: Space Marine

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Great game. It's a cross between God of War and Gears of War, with a dose of Wolverine mixed in. In keeping with the background of the 40k universe, you forgo the use of cover entirely. Instead, you run straight into large groups of orks and other enemies, bolter blazing as you close the distance, and decimate the thinned out ranks in brutal and bloody close combat. It is amazingly satisfying. Your health regenerates with finishing moves in CC. It has a healthy dose of 40k weaponry and THQ straight up nailed the setting and tone (as always). The single player campaign seems to be 8-10 hours long, cinematic, and takes place around some nice set pieces. Next month, there will be a free update enabling 4 player co-op for the campaign, which makes my pants tight as fuck. The game is kind of a one trick pony with the standard shoot-then-melee combo driven system, but it's just so well done that it never gets old. It even has an "overdrive mode" which is activated by clicking both sticks when your "rage meter" is full (taken straight from God of War). You can use this to slaughter everything that moves in melee, or slow down time for precise shooting with ranged. Very fun!

Multiplayer is a blast. 3 classes. Tactical, Devastator, and Assault marines. Each one has strengths and weaknesses. Each one has a wide variety of weapons and perks to unlock. Game modes are TDM and Domination with a couple others in there I have yet to try. I haven't been this excited by PvP since Transformers: War for Cybertron (which was awesome but the community died in 4 months). You can customize the shit out of your marines. It's fantastic, but takes awhile to unlock all the options. I've already had some amazing PvP moments and I've been playing the vs about 2 hours total.

It's a great game! Check it out!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: War hammer 40k: Space Marine

Here is a great video review of the customization available for your marines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlurHvYx ... ata_player
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Playing this on the PC using an Xbox Controller.

The combat is fun although the game is completely on rails. It plays like a movie with lots of cinematics.

In the campaign, your two partners fully engage the enemy although I don't know if they do a whole lot. They did a nice job of making the other team mates in the scenes look like they are doing something useful.

You gain new weapons as you progress although there's no choice or upgrading involved so far through Chapter One. You just gain the use of items as you go and then get ammo for those guns.

Graphics are good and things splatter nice. Artwork is well done for a Warhammer setting.

The story is pretty dry though. I'm not vested in any of the characters. I think the developers forgot about that part of the game which is always one of the most important parts of a game for me.

Jetpack is fun although I've only got to use it in one little sequence so far.

Multiplayer and CO-OP look like they will be fun.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'm half way through it. The game keeps you moving at a steady pace. There is very little downtime. You get to exchange some of your weapons at various points in the game. I hate having to decide if the next section will require a sniper weapon or a shotgun. If you choose the incorrect one, the next conflict can get real fucking interesting.

I just finished several great chapters with some really fun parts (jump pack + thunder hammer = AWESOME). The game is great. However, I don't have any friends on my XBL list playing this. They're all playing Dead Island, which blows my mind. I would've thought Space Marine would've been much more popular!

They really nailed the calm and cool attitude of being a cold blooded killing machine. The space marines in this game go up against some crazy odds and they never break a sweat.

FOR THE EMPEROR!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I was pretty excited about this game until I played the demo and found out it was being released on the same day as Dead Island, Resistance 3, Disgaea 4 and Driver SF.

The game really just looks like an average 3rd person action/shooter.

It's a pity.. if it had been released a few weeks ago, it would have been a day 1 purchase for me.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:I was pretty excited about this game until I played the demo and found out it was being released on the same day as Dead Island, Resistance 3, Disgaea 4 and Driver SF.

The game really just looks like an average 3rd person action/shooter.

It's a pity.. if it had been released a few weeks ago, it would have been a day 1 purchase for me.

It will be 40$ in a month and 30$ or less by Christmas. Pick it up on the cheap later and play your more urgent games now. I'll be doing that a lot this fall. Lots of AAA games being released right now. It's a great time to be a gamer!

Out of all the ones you mentioned, I wouldn't even rate Driver. Dead Island would've been at the bottom of any list I made, and Disgaea always seemed like more of a niche series to me. I honestly would've put Space Marine at the top of the list and it seems like sales-wise it will come in behind Dead Island for the month. We'll see. Those Euros love themselves some Space Marines and may tip the sales charts.

I bought Disgaea 4 on a whim (Amazon credit) and saw Disgaea 3 was available for the PS3 for 20$ so I grabbed that too. I played Part 3 for about an hour and left off in the hub world. I did the same thing with 4. Other than graphics, you would think they were the exact same game. The tutorials were almost identical and so are the initial hub worlds where I logged off for each. I'm glad to have them in my PS3 collection though. I'll get to them eventually.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Driver SF is actually a fantastic game that's reviewing better than both Dead Island and Space Marine... but until I played the demo, my interest in it was nonexistent.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I bought Disgaea 4 on a whim (Amazon credit) and saw Disgaea 3 was available for the PS3 for 20$ so I grabbed that too. I played Part 3 for about an hour and left off in the hub world. I did the same thing with 4. Other than graphics, you would think they were the exact same game. The tutorials were almost identical and so are the initial hub worlds where I logged off for each. I'm glad to have them in my PS3 collection though.
I think I've put more hours into Disgaea than any other video game series. I put in over 250 hours combined on the PS2 and DS versions of the first game and 100+ into Disgaea 3. Wasn't a huge fan of the second one and only played it for 70-80 hours.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

dbl pst
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

A couples hours into the game (free with PS+) and I'm shocked by how mediorce and dull it is.
Slicing and dicing Orks should a blast.. but it's just meh.