Time for a new headset

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Time for a new headset

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I am in need of a new gaming headset. I have a few things that I require though so my search has been a difficult one given the time I have to actually search.

I'm looking for:
Single Ear
Over the head
Microphone
Either Wired(USB) or Wireless
No more than $100

I'm still looking when I can but if anyone else has something in mind that'd be awesome.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Time for a new headset

Post by Fairweather Pure »

PC, PS3, Xbox?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I think Turtle Beach probably makes some that fit your requirements.

I just bought a Turtle Beach PX5 (definitely doesn't fit your requirements), and it might be the coolest thing I've ever owned. Highly recommended if you have $250 to blow on a headset.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Just curious but why single ear? Stereo is definitely the way to go.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Just curious but why single ear? Stereo is definitely the way to go.
Bubba lost hearing in one ear back in the early 90's to an asian hooker while overseas after she boxed his ear in response to a misfired donkey punch.
Last edited by Winnow on March 24, 2011, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Your request for a single ear is really going to limit your choice and quality and models. I don't even know where to begin with helping you on that front.

The Logitech G35 is the best headset I have ever owned, and I've owned plenty of headsets for comparison. It's USB and PC only.

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
The Logitech G35 is the best headset I have ever owned, and I've owned plenty of headsets for comparison. It's USB and PC only.
I tried those and returned them. They completely close out outside sound which I don't like. I know some may like that style but I like to hear the doorbell go off, etc.

I currently use "Fatal1ty USB Gaming Headset HS-1000" which I owned previously to trying the Logitech G35 headset. They have the Sound Blaster X-Fi built in so sound very good and they also have a very good mic.

Drawbacks: they fit over ears so after 3-4 hours may start to be uncomfortable but you can at least hear outside noises (which may or may not be a good thing for you)

Not sure why, but I didn't feel comfortable with the G35s. Big factor is probably if you like outside sound being completely cut out or not. Considering Bubba's looking for single ear type, guessing he doesn't want complete immersion.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

I'm guessing he wants a single ear because he's using a good speak system for the rest of the audio and only voice on the single ear headset. Newegg had the best selection I found in about 2 minutes of looking, $50 being the most expensive one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... ngle%20Ear
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aardor wrote:I'm guessing he wants a single ear because he's using a good speak system for the rest of the audio and only voice on the single ear headset.
The annoying thing about that is then the sound from the speakers usually goes over the mic and other people playing now get to hear an echo.. Don't be that person!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If you're going to do that, just get a mic and no headset at all.

Get a directional desktop microphone!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Sorry about that. Yes I need a headset for PC. The reason for single ear is so that I can hear what is happening around me outside of the game. Winnow's not far off but since my time in Japan and SE Asia I have become sort of "jumpy" I guess would be the term. I've gotten much better over the years but I still find if I am too focused on what I am doing and someone were to jar me out of that I tend to react in a violent defensive manner. Like I said though, I have gotten much better since then and only on rare occasion do I have this reaction but I'd rather not have it happen. My kids will have to go through therapy as it is without adding this into the mix :lol: .

All of this is moot however as I went to Best Buy and bought myself a Logitech headset. It's 2 ear but it built so that you can hear the outside world as well. The only odd thing is that I never had a headset that went behind the head instead of over the head. It will take some getting used to. In the event I can't get used to it I'll refer back to this thread.

Thanks all.