What do you think about the world?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Fix the National Budget

Post by Fairweather Pure »

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010 ... aphic.html

I think I read somewhere that the list is limited to things that have actually progressed to a point where they were considered? I would be curious to see how a National Health Care plan could reduce Medicare/Medicaid in the future.

Anyway, it's an interesting little exercise IMO. We're not nearly as bad off as others would have us believe. It's just going to take some changes. However, getting Republicans to reduce the military is about as easy and likely as getting the Democrats to reduce social programs.

The people are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Re: Fix the National Budget

Post by Siji »

Makes you think, but still didn't seem that hard.. reminds me of that movie where the guy stands in for the president and balances the national budget with his CPA friend.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Dave wrote:So we're spending 2 millions dollars a year to make people feel better about a car they already bought?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ireland faces a pivotal week

After insisting for days that Ireland doesn't need financial assistance to stay afloat, the country is poised to accept tens of billions of euros from the European Union and the International Monetary Fund. The country formally requested substantial assistance on Sunday. The prime minister said the government would work over the next few days to cut 6 billion euros before it wraps its current budgetary cycle on December 7, and planned to eliminate a total of 15 billion euros over the next four years. Public support for the government is at a record low, and the government's razor-thin majority is expected to be cut even further on Thursday, when a by-election will fill an empty parliament seat.
Where's Nick? I thought Ireland was doing so well!
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

Let's beetlejuice him back.

Nick.
Going out to play pool now with my fellow klan members. Have a nice night. - Midnyte
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

25% tax

75% Spending Cuts
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Tyek wrote:25% tax

75% Spending Cuts
Defense, Social Security, and Welfare would be 60% ... :)
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

It showed those results, I would have to go do it again to see how exactly it came up with those numbers.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon