PA first state caught abusing the Patriot Act

What do you think about the world?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

PA first state caught abusing the Patriot Act

Post by masteen »

The PA DHS was paying a private security company to spy on all sorts of non-violent non-criminals. Dubya's legacy, right here:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... ity_1.html
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: PA first state caught abusing the Patriot Act

Post by Zaelath »

FSB wrote:Snap!
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Wait a sec.....hasn't Obama been in office for 2 fucking years? How exactly do you pin that on Bush?

This shit doesn't surprise me in the least, seeing as how the Obama administration put out memos detailing an awful lot of law abiding groups as potential terrorists. You can blame Bush all you want, but your pal Obama is the one slapping the terror labels on people that are involved in any protests.

http://qbit.cc/homeland-security-docume ... errorists/
All of these obviously NON terrorist groups, are classified as terrorists and lumped in with other real terrorist groups like Aryan Nation Prison gangs, and violent anti-semitic hate groups, in this Department of Homeland Security document.

This document can broadly classify ANYONE as a terrorist. Please read it. Please pass it on. Below you will find a selection of the most dangerous parts and some comments. The full PDF is linked below.

This product provides definitions for key terms and phrases that often appear in DHS analysis that addresses the nature and scope of the threat that domestic, non-Islamic extremism poses to theUnited States.

- Notice how it says domesitc, non-Islamic extremism…. aka Americans.

(U) alternative media (U//FOUO)
A term used to describe various information sources that provide a forum for interpretations of events and issues that differ radically from those presented in mass media products and outlets.

- If your story doesn’t match the ‘official’ story, you are a terrorist. This crushes the 1st amendment, freedom of the press, freedom of speech.

(U) decentralized terrorist movement (U//FOUO)
A movement of groups or individuals who pursue shared ideological goals through tactics of leaderless resistance independent of any larger terrorist organization.

- Any individual can be branded a terrorist, just for having ideological goals. He doesn’t even have to be part of a terrorist group.

(U) direct action (U//FOUO)
Lawful or unlawful acts of civil disobedience ranging from protests to property destruction or acts of violence. This term is most often used by single-issue or anarchist extremists to describe their activities.

-It says LAWFUL ACTS of CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE AND PROTEST is TERRORISM!

(U) hacktivism (U//FOUO) (A portmanteau of “hacking” and “activism.”)
The use of cyber technologies to achieve a political end, or technology-enabled political or social activism. Hacktivism might include website defacements, denial-of-service attacks, hacking into the target’s network to introduce malicious software (malware), or information theft.

-The first sentence translates that using a technology for politics, like reporting political news on the internet, is terrorism!

(U) leaderless resistance (U//FOUO)
A strategy that stresses the importance of individuals and small cells acting independently and anonymously outside formalized organizational structures to enhance operational security and avoid detection. It is used by many types of domestic extremists.

-Again, any random person can be called an ‘individual cell’ and be branded a terrorist.

(U) militia movement (U//FOUO)
A rightwing extremist movement composed of groups or individuals who adhere to an antigovernment ideology often incorporating various conspiracy theories. Members oppose most federal and state laws, regulations, and authority (particularly firearms laws and regulations) and often conduct paramilitary training designed to resist perceived government interference in their activities or to overthrow the U.S. overnment through the use of violence. (also: citizens militia, unorganized militia)

-So people who believe in the 2nd amendment are terrorists, even though it says we have the right to bear arms and form militias.

(U) patriot movement (U//FOUO)
A term used by rightwing extremists to link their beliefs to those commonly associated with the American Revolution. The patriot movement primarily comprises violent antigovernment groups such as militias and sovereign citizens. (also: Christian patriots, patriot group, Constitutionalists, Constitutionist)

-If you think the American Revolution was a good thing, or you believe in the Constitution, you are a terrorist.

(U) sovereign citizen movement (U//FOUO)
A rightwing extremist movement composed of groups or individuals who reject the notion of U.S. citizenship. They claim to follow only what they believe to be God’s law or common law and the original 10 amendments (Bill of Rights) to the U.S. Constitution. They believe they are emancipated from all other responsibilities associated with being a U.S. citizen, such as paying taxes, possessing a driver’s license and motor vehicle registration, or holding a social security number. They generally do not recognize federal or state government authority or laws. Several sovereign citizen groups in the United States produce fraudulent documents for their members in lieu of legitimate government-issued forms of identification. Members have been known to advocate or engage in criminal activity and plot acts of violence and terrorism in an attempt to advance their extremist goals. They often target government officials and law enforcement. (also: state citizens, freemen, preamble citizens, common law citizens)

-Again if you believe in the Bill of Rights and the Constitution, which are the supreme laws of America… you are a terrorist.

(U) tax resistance movement (U//FOUO)
Groups or individuals who vehemently believe taxes violate their constitutional rights. Among their beliefs are that wages are not income, that paying income taxes is voluntary, and that the 16th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which allowed Congress to levy taxes on income, was not properly ratified. Members have been known to advocate or engage in criminal activity and plot acts of violence and terrorism in an attempt to advance their extremist goals. They often target government entities such as the Internal Revenue Service and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. (also: tax protest movement, tax freedom movement, antitax movement)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I don't get what that link has to do with Obama...It was published just weeks after he took office.

I somehow doubt that one of his first priorities after getting sworn in was to publish a document that contains defitions of some terms used in relation to domestic terrorism.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yea, because it only had specific passages in it that directly referenced him. Or maybe there was another first African-American President that was elected before him that none of us were informed of.....
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Yea, because it only had specific passages in it that directly referenced him. Or maybe there was another first African-American President that was elected before him that none of us were informed of.....
We must be reading different documents.

The only reference to 'African Americans' in the document are in the definition of Black Nationalism and Black Separatism.
No references to Obama or the President.

(U//FOUO) Homeland Security Reference Aids—prepared by the DHS/Office of
Intelligence and Analysis (I&A)—provide baseline information on a variety of
homeland security issues. This product is one in a series of reference aids designed to
provide operational and intelligence advice and assistance to other elements of DHS,
as well as state, local, and regional fusions centers. DHS/I&A intends this background
information to assist federal, state, local, and tribal homeland security and law
enforcement officials in conducting analytic activities. This product provides
definitions for key terms and phrases that often appear in DHS analysis that addresses
the nature and scope of the threat that domestic, non-Islamic extremism poses to the
United States. Definitions were derived from a variety of open source materials and
unclassified information, then further developed during facilitated workshops with
DHS intelligence analysts knowledgeable about domestic, non-Islamic extremism in
the United States.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Wait a sec.....hasn't Obama been in office for 2 fucking years? How exactly do you pin that on Bush?

This shit doesn't surprise me in the least, seeing as how the Obama administration put out memos detailing an awful lot of law abiding groups as potential terrorists. You can blame Bush all you want, but your pal Obama is the one slapping the terror labels on people that are involved in any protests.
Because it was Cheney and Rumfelds' over-reaching legislation that enables it to happen? It was uneeded in the first place as everything they needed in this respect was already available in existing law, with court supervision? Of course as an administration they thought they were above court supervision.

Which I might add Obama hasn't done much to change\repeal the Patriot Act, as he said he would. Along with many expansions of executive privilege.

These guys are late, the FBI was abusing the Patriot Act almost before the ink was dry.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:
Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Yea, because it only had specific passages in it that directly referenced him. Or maybe there was another first African-American President that was elected before him that none of us were informed of.....
We must be reading different documents.

The only reference to 'African Americans' in the document are in the definition of Black Nationalism and Black Separatism.
No references to Obama or the President.

(U//FOUO) Homeland Security Reference Aids—prepared by the DHS/Office of
Intelligence and Analysis (I&A)—provide baseline information on a variety of
homeland security issues. This product is one in a series of reference aids designed to
provide operational and intelligence advice and assistance to other elements of DHS,
as well as state, local, and regional fusions centers. DHS/I&A intends this background
information to assist federal, state, local, and tribal homeland security and law
enforcement officials in conducting analytic activities. This product provides
definitions for key terms and phrases that often appear in DHS analysis that addresses
the nature and scope of the threat that domestic, non-Islamic extremism poses to the
United States. Definitions were derived from a variety of open source materials and
unclassified information, then further developed during facilitated workshops with
DHS intelligence analysts knowledgeable about domestic, non-Islamic extremism in
the United States.

Well allow me to retort:

http://www.fas.org/irp/eprint/rightwing.pdf
(U//LES) Rightwing extremists have capitalized on the election of the first
African American president, and are focusing their efforts to recruit new
members, mobilize existing supporters, and broaden their scope and appeal
through propaganda, but they have not yet turned to attack planning.
that certainly fucking seems to mention Obama directly.
(U//FOUO) The possible passage of new restrictions on firearms and the return of
military veterans facing significant challenges reintegrating into their communities
could lead to the potential emergence of terrorist groups or lone wolf extremists
capable of carrying out violent attacks.
wow....another direct mention of the new regime
(U//FOUO) Proposed imposition of firearms restrictions and weapons bans
likely would attract new members into the ranks of rightwing extremist groups,
as well as potentially spur some of them to begin planning and training for
violence against the government. The high volume of purchases and
stockpiling of weapons and ammunition by rightwing extremists in anticipation
of restrictions and bans in some parts of the country continue to be a primary
concern to law enforcement.
again directly referencing the high volume of arms and ammunition relating to the fears of Obama and his crew attempting bans (which he and his crew stated they wanted to do)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Perhaps you should have linked that fucking document, idiot.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I figured that you might actually be competent enough to find the entire document. I was wrong.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:I figured that you might actually be competent enough to find the entire document. I was wrong.
Completely ignoring the fact that those are TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DOCUMENTS. :roll:

One is a lexicon of terminology used in reference to domenstic terrorism and the other is specifically about right-wing extremism.
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

Ok, did you guys even read the article? None of it points towards Obama or Bush. Let's be fair here, this private company was hired by Pennsylvania! There were no illegal wiretaps, and more often than not the company targeted left-leaning causes rather than right-leaning causes. It went after environmentalist groups, not pro-gun advocacy groups or Tea Partiers. This is more of the legacy of the privatization of our intelligence gathering methods than the Patriot Act. This company did everything it could to trump up what it found in order to maintain its contract -- or perhaps -- garner an expanded contract. Quit bickering bitches. For the most part the Patriot Act has worked. As the righties said in the during Bush's admin, if you aint doing nothing wrong you aint got nothing to worry about.

Also, bonus +awesomeness to the ACLU source that used the phrase "manage-a-trois" and "frack" in one sentence.
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS