Support, Discussion, Reviews
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Computer as DVR?

Post by Dregor Thule »

I hate watching shows live on TV. Between commercials and having to stick to a schedule it's just obnoxious. I'm also not exactly well off, so no DVR or on-demand stuff for me. I have a digital receiver from my cable company that has a DVI out, and DVI in on my PC graphics card. Is it possible for me to hook them up to watch and record television on my computer? What software would be required?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Computer as DVR?

Post by Winnow »

There's a ton of ways to use your pc as a DVR. That's not my specialty so I offer you this google search string!

use pc as dvr

http://www.google.com/search?q=use+pc+as+dvr

From one of those links:
Yahoo has released a beta version of software that turns a PC into a digital video recorder.

The software, Yahoo Go for TV, is free to download. After the software is installed, people plug their computer into their television's video and audio input connections. The computer can then record and play back shows on the TV just like with a standalone DVR. Consumers can also play DVDs, music, photos or other downloaded content.

The cost of a few cables and TV tuner card, in comparison with the hundreds of dollars being shelled out for DVD players or DVRs, could lure consumers away from DVR competitors like TiVo. And many industry leaders see TV-computer combinations as the portal for reaching consumers.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/2100-1026_3-606525 ... z12Xlo1XgU
If you have any kind of bandwidth at all and some cap room, probably torrents would be the way to do (if you can't swing something like giganews/newsleecher pay service)
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

I did do some googling :) I was just getting tired of starting to read an article and noticing it's from 2005.

TV Tuner Cards/Capture Cards... are these necessary still? I have a digital receiver, I have a graphics card with a DVI port. Is that just for those that don't have the receiver?
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

There is that commerical for Windows 7 with the kid sitting in the hall while his roommate is banging some co-ed. He's watching tv that he dvr'd.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Hadn't spoken with anyone about this lately but some folks I know were running MythTV a while back with good results.

http://www.mythtv.org/
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."