Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

iPhone Non-Stop Reboot

Post by Siji »

So I plugged my iPhone (3G) into the PC the other day to let it charge/synch/etc and the next time I looked at it I noticed it was in an endless boot cycle. There was a carrier update and an update for 4.01 that I have been prompted for over the last week or so, which I have been declining. (I had actually updated to 4.0 previously and found what an amazingly horrible dog it is on the 3G and reverted back to 3.1.x)

In any case, for the life of me or my phone I can't find a fix so I'm hoping perhaps someone here has an idea or method that I might not have found yet. Things I've tried:

o Putting the phone in DFU mode and doing a restore via iTunes - Failed, error (9)
o Putting the phone in DFU and trying redsn0w with 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0 firmwares
o Putting the phone in DFU and trying blackra1n

For both redsn0w and blackra1n it looked like they were doing their jobs properly but they would both fail at the reboot part. In other words, they went through their synching or patching process then gave the message that the rest of the process would happen after the phone reboots. Unfortunately, the phone wouldn't reboot out of DFU mode at that point for either program.

For the iTunes restore, it looks like it's going to do it, reboots back to the factory apple logo, gives the progress bar at the bottom of the screen but about 25% of the way through it reboots again and I see the custom boot logo. So it doesn't appear to be wiping the drive/flash/whatever to begin with.

I did notice there was a program out for Mac's that seemed to be a more forceful reset of the iPhone but no windows version and I don't have a Mac anywhere near me.

-

Worst case I'll go get a 4G but I'm really trying to avoid that because it involves renewing for another 2 years on one of the wife's parents lines which I carry on my plan. I'd rather not. Wife and I aren't eligible for an upgrade and I'm not paying an extra $200. I thought about just terminating the contract but 350 + 175 in termination fees (minus $5 a month after the first year) for the two lines still in contract is too much.

Any ideas/tips? I really don't care about saving data at this point. I just want to get the phone going again.

Thanks!

Edit: I tried this on 3 different PCs by the way.. Windows 7 x64, Windows Vista, Windows XP
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: iPhone Non-Stop Reboot

Post by Winnow »

You should post your message over on

http://modmyi.com/

Make sure you note the exact jailbreak you used before and after. That forum is your best chance at getting a response.

This message was posted from my iPad. It's really bad-ass if you can afford one!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Ouch! Good luck Siji
- Ash
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

I'm guessing it's a corrupted storage medium problem, but since I don't have anything that will just mount the iphone to let me format it (if such a thing is possible) there's not much I can do. Apple could probably repair it and I may take it to a Apple shop to see eventually. But for now I guess I'll just pick up the 4G and look for a case.