Mobile Games

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Mobile Games

Post by Winnow »

Because we need this category.

Here's a game for the iPhone that looks promising if you like FF type games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuiXjmhZ4-8

Square Enix and Wild Arms maikng F game for iPhone.

Might be fun to pass the time using iPad on the crapper!

On a Rip Off note:

Square Enix released the iPhone app:

FINAL FANTASY XIII Larger-than-Life Gallery

It's 8.99 for 24 FFXIII Images (same images you see in the Strategy Guide), same cost as full FF I or II games on iPhone.

Worst rip off ever! I grabbed it off the usual sites to check it out. It's pretty much just a thumbnail gallery with 24 images. And even worse, it's 53mb in size for 24 images. Crazy talk! Greedy bastards. This caused me to renew my pirate license for another year!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-fa ... 37135?mt=8
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Mobile Games

Post by Fairweather Pure »

FF1 for the iPhone is pretty damn good IMO. I'll get FF 2 after I finish the first one.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I played Pocket Legends early on when I first got my iPad and it seemed cool but I got sidetracked by other things at the time. It's free to play game with items you can buy but, like most free games, can play without ever buying things, especially if you play casually. It has PvE and PvP areas. More PvE which is a good thing. There's an impressive amount of stats/items/skills in the game to keep you busy.

The game has done well and is supported with expansions and improvements. It's the best MMO for mobile out there (iphone/touch/pad). It has a server named Fnord so it has to be at least worth a try!

Check out this nice video done by some guy covering the game play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj_nXg7K4LE

There's only so much you can expect from a mobile MMO but this looks like he game to play if you have an i-device. It also has a lot to do with your time. If you spend a lot of time away from your PC then this game might be perfect. Something like this would be cool for someone that commutes.

(and yes, it' more fun than FFXIV)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Looks like I'll have to boot up Pocket Legends again. I played it through the first 2-3 areas and had fun with it. My little archer was good at kiting the bosses!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Looks like I'll have to boot up Pocket Legends again. I played it through the first 2-3 areas and had fun with it. My little archer was good at kiting the bosses!

I found another good reason to play this game. My cable went down for a little while so I played this on my iPhone 4. I could have used myWi and played on my iPad but wanted to see how it was on a smaller screen. Looks great on the retina display. The UI is great...I hate to say it but, shitloads more intuitive and useful than FFXIV's. I did a few quests.

Here's the full res image of my iPhone PL screen:

It looks pretty good as is but it's super crisp when all of these pixels are shrunk onto the little 3.5" screen. I'm thinking a ranged character might be better to play. Still deciding between using the virtual joystick to move or the click to move option.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Just got done playing Dungeon Defenders game. It uses the same Unreal Engine that Infinity Blade does but looks completely different.

It's a tower defense type game but you have a hero and it's in 3D. It's awesome. I played the first 5 waves/level of the single player campaign and then jumped into some multiplayer which was fun as well.

Check out the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeyQ-PC_cwc

This game is highly polished. Tons of stats to track and work on besting. Excellent tutorial with great voice narration.

Dungeon Defenders

This game (same app) works on both iPhone and iPad. I played it on the iPad as there's a lot going on so like the bigger screen to see better.
Description

'Dungeon Defenders: First Wave' is a groundbreaking genre hybrid: Epic Online cooperative Action-RPG meets Strategic Defense!

Take on the role of one of four distinctive Hero classes, tasked with fending off hordes of invading creatures by strategically summoning a variety of Towers & Traps throughout your Castle. After laying out your fortifications, directly participate in the action-packed combat with your hero, while leveling up, gathering tons of loot, customizing & upgrading equipment, and developing your unique class abilities.

All of this can be played in seamless online multiplayer using GameCenter, as you cooperate and compete throughout the story Campaign & Challenge Missions to build the strongest heroes and achieve the highest scores in the kingdom.

Combining the depth of strategic gaming with the satisfying action of RPG character building, in a beautifully stylized 'toon fantasy setting built with Epic Games'(tm) Unreal® Engine 3, Dungeon Defenders is designed to be an addictive experience for casual and veteran gamers alike!

DunDef is currently localized in: English, Français, Deutsch, Italiano, Español

ESRB Rating (Mobile): Everyone 10+
PEGI Rating: 12+

--Unique Features--

* Strategic Defense Meets Online Action-RPG

Choose your class, customize your hero & equipment, assemble your defenses, and participate in action-packed battle to preserve your castle against the invading horde!

* Drop-In/Drop-Out Multiplayer

Team-up with 3 friends to defend cooperatively, with hero classes that support each other’s strengths and weaknesses. Dynamically join or leave at any time, so that the game's always full.

* Loot & Level-Up

Grab the mounds of money and items that your defeated foes drop, sell them or store them for later use in your Item Box! Getting Kills and Completing Waves earns you XP, which can be used to upgrade your character, your skills, your equipment, and your Towers on a per-statistic basis. The choices are yours to make. Store your massive overflow of money in the "Mana Bank", and then spend it to improve your equipment or trade with other players. Proudly show off your best equipment in your own "Adventurer’s Tavern", without fear of item theft!

* Distinct Character-Classes

Each Hero class has a unique balance and set of weapons, towers, and special abilities, for a different style of gameplay.

*Hordes of monsters and massive Bosses

Armies of enemies will attempt to tear through your defenses. Only by employing the most effective defensive strategies, teamwork, and strong heroes will you defeat such devilish foes! Many creature types, running the gamut from big Orcs swinging huge axes, to sly Dark Elf Archers striking from the shadows, to crazy Kobolds armed with explosive packs. Unique boss monsters provide set-piece battles and take relentless teamwork to defeat!

*Fight your way up through the castle!

Each level has a different setting, layout, enemy types, traps, and distinct scripted surprises. Four difficulty settings from novice to master, which also adjust the rate of experience and types of loot earned. Storybook cinematics tell the tale throughout the Campaign Mode. Survival Mode pits increasing waves of enemies against the players until they fall, with the goal being to defend long enough to achieve the highest Leaderboard score. Challenge Mode allows players to tackle any mission with uniquely altered rule sets and goals!

*A Mountain of Stats

Pore over the voluminous report of each session to analyze your team’s performance, review your best stats for each level, and compare your data online with other players to see who is the greatest hero of all. Your Achievements are visible for all to admire within your very own Adventurer’s Tavern, and your scores in each mode are ranked on the Leaderboards!

Unreal, Unreal Technology and the Powered by Unreal Technology logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Epic Games, Inc. in the United States and elsewhere.
The game looks and plays great.

Took me a sec to get a handle on the inventory/equip process but once that was under control, everything went smoothly.

You have a build phase which, in single player, allows you as much time as you want to run around setting up your defenses. You have mana/build points with which you can use to plan your defense. These are bankable as well, I think allowing you to use on your other characters.

There's four classes and it ranks them from easiest to hardest. Tons of loot drops and the game makes it easy to see quickly if the item dropped would be better than your presently equipped armor/weapon.

I had a blast playing the first 5 waves (complete first level)

Jumped into a multiplayer game afterward. It's just as fun. You dont have unlimited time to set up your defense so you run around doing what you can and then the waves start in with players able to join before each wave. If you join during a wave you get to "ghost" watch the other players.

We made it though to the last wave but a big ass ogre boss mob popped with a shit ton of hps. I was working it down as it beat on our last defense before the defense crystal we were protecting but a goblin with dynamite strapped to his back bonzai'd me and took me out just as I was finishing off the boss. You respawn after ten seconds. We fended off most of the hordes but there were too many and the crystal fell. Fun!

This game is very well done. The screen caps may seem busy with a lot of controls but it's really not that bad and once you've completed the well done tutorial, you're all set.

You'll notice the microphone. You can talk in multiplayer which is cool.

Lots of stats. Even during the action you can click on your defenses to see how effective they've been, etc.

Highly recommend trying this game out if you like Diablo-ish/Leveling Up/Loot/Strategy Defense/Fun games

I like that in single player you have time to work on your defense and get the lay of the land before you click your crystal and the hordes start coming. The level map is also live (shows real time/damage, etc to defenses so you can respond) Also nice that a single app works on both iPhone/iPad. They didn't try to gouge the consumer twice as some games do.

Watch the video to get the best impression on how the game is.