Music/concert reviews and discussion

Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Lala Website

Post by Winnow »

Did I miss something?

Now when you do a search for an artist on Google, you can play their full songs right from the search engine.

The songs are played from this site:

http://www.lala.com/#home

where apparently you can play 8 million full length songs and setup playlists even. You can search for any artists/song and the full song plays instantly, unlike Pandora where you have to listen to random songs.

Seems like endorsed by google for the results to show up right at top of google searches. Apparently there will be an iPhone app for this place as well that allows you to stream music.

What is interesting to me is that you can basically now search google or lala and play any full length song you want and even queue up and entire album if you log in. So many music options for free these days.

I simple google search:

All those choices to listen as well as plenty not listed like LastFM, Playlist.com, etc.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: Lala Website

Post by miir »

I guess it's not bad if you listen to mainstream music.
I don't see any results from that site when I do a google search.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:I guess it's not bad if you listen to mainstream music.
Exactly, I think you have a very different taste in music :)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

hmmm, well someone liked this Lala music:
Apple acquires music service Lala

By Gabriel Madway and Yinka Adegoke Gabriel Madway And Yinka Adegoke 1 hr 20 mins ago

SAN FRANCISCO/NEW YORK (Reuters) – Apple Inc has acquired digital music service Lala, as the dominant online music retailer explores new models for selling songs.

Terms of the deal weren't disclosed by Apple, which confirmed the purchase on Friday.

ITunes is the leading music service in the United States with more than 70 percent of all digital music sales and it is the leading music retailer overall.

But newer music streaming services from the likes of News Corp's MySpace Music and Spotify have begun to win over music fans in the last year.

"Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time and we generally do not comment on our purpose or plans," Apple spokesman Steve Dowling said.

A source familiar with the matter said the iPod, iPhone and Mac maker is seeking new ways to expand iTunes to move it beyond being a predominantly download service for songs. The source asked not to be named.

"Apple recognizes that the model is going to evolve into a streaming one and this could probably propel iTunes to the next level," said the person.

The iTunes store offers more than 11 million songs. Apple has sold billions of tracks through iTunes since its launch in 2003.

The Lala service allows users to stream from the Internet any tune in its catalog of more than 8 million songs once for free, and then sells unlimited streams for 10 cents per track and MP3 downloads starting at 79 cents.

The Palo Alto, California-based company's investors include Bain Capital Ventures, Ignition Partners and Warner Music.

Lala founder Bill Nguyen said in October his company's revenues total less than $10 million. He said the company had about 100,000 customers.

Internet search giant Google Inc recently partnered with Lala to provide users song samples along with links to purchase the music.

Lala has also partnered with Facebook to offer music through the social networking site.

(Reporting by Gabriel Madway in San Francisco and Yinka Adegoke in New York; Editing by Richard Chang and Carol Bishopric)
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

miir wrote:I guess it's not bad if you listen to mainstream music.
They have quite a lot of indie stuff on there, if that's your thing. They actually purchased/funded WOXY For a while when it was in danger of running out of money. I try to buy all my music there now, but not sure what will happen with the Apple purchase.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Well, found another cool music site that's probably known to others.

http://listen.grooveshark.com/

Groove shark is another great way to find and listen to music for free on the web.

I like the UI

they just released an App for the iPhone on cydia (since Apple wouldn't approve them of course)

As always, test it out for finding those rare songs you music snobs!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

http://www.statesman.com/business/techn ... 51915.html
Apple shutting Lala.com; 'Cloud' music on horizon?

Apple is shutting down Lala.com, the online music retailer it bought last year. The move comes amid speculation that Apple will soon offer a way for people to access songs from distant computers.

A message posted on Lala's home page late Thursday says the service isn't accepting new users and will shut down at the end of May.

Some executives in the online music industry suspect Apple is working on letting its iTunes customers buy and listen to songs in a way that doesn't require downloads. Instead users would access music stored on servers through cell phone networks.

Such so-called "cloud music" services have gotten a boost from recent price cuts and applications that allow playback even outside of cell-phone coverage.

Apple declined to comment Friday on its future plans.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Sad to see it go, but curious to what Apple does with it.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy