Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Only in FL

Post by Siji »

TALLAHASSEE - Vietnam veterans who left school to serve in the war and never got a diploma would be able to get that important piece of paper under a bill headed to the governor.
The Florida House unanimously passed the bill (SB 316) Wednesday. It had already passed the Senate.
Florida already grants diplomas to World War II and Korean War veterans who left high school to serve in the military. More than 3,000 World War II veterans and 500 Korean War veterans have gotten the diplomas.
The department hasn't estimated how many Vietnam veterans will apply for a diploma if the governor signs the bill, but more than 450,000 live in the state — more than World War II and Korean War veterans combined.
Each diploma costs the state about $13.
wtf does a 60+ year old, most likely mentally fucked, individual need with a high school diploma? I mean, really? Let's assume that 50% of the 450k that live in FL take them up on the offer.. there's $2,925,000 spent. Is there seriously nothing better that this money could go to? Knowing that there's roughly 450k people that this could potentially apply to, it means they've approved the potential expense of $5,850,000 to do this. That (any of it) money could be better spent on veteran healthcare or benefits. High school diplomas at 60+ years old are about as useful as a Kleenex in the rain.

"Unemployment is in the double digits, but damn, you got a high school diploma! You're hired George!"
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Only in FL

Post by Aslanna »

Why do you hate the troops?
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

He might be a terrorist.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Dixie Chicks > Toby Keith !

FTK!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Siji wrote:
TALLAHASSEE - Vietnam veterans who left school to serve in the war and never got a diploma would be able to get that important piece of paper under a bill headed to the governor.
The Florida House unanimously passed the bill (SB 316) Wednesday. It had already passed the Senate.
Florida already grants diplomas to World War II and Korean War veterans who left high school to serve in the military. More than 3,000 World War II veterans and 500 Korean War veterans have gotten the diplomas.
The department hasn't estimated how many Vietnam veterans will apply for a diploma if the governor signs the bill, but more than 450,000 live in the state — more than World War II and Korean War veterans combined.
Each diploma costs the state about $13.
wtf does a 60+ year old, most likely mentally fucked, individual need with a high school diploma? I mean, really? Let's assume that 50% of the 450k that live in FL take them up on the offer.. there's $2,925,000 spent. Is there seriously nothing better that this money could go to? Knowing that there's roughly 450k people that this could potentially apply to, it means they've approved the potential expense of $5,850,000 to do this. That (any of it) money could be better spent on veteran healthcare or benefits. High school diplomas at 60+ years old are about as useful as a Kleenex in the rain.

"Unemployment is in the double digits, but damn, you got a high school diploma! You're hired George!"

I have no problem with the idea the money could be better spent on giving these individuals the health care they deserve, I actually agree with you there. But saying that because they are a Vietnam vet they are mentally fucked?? Really? How many Vietnam vets do you know personally?
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

an inaccurate generalization, but there are a lot of mentally fucked vietnam vets. ask a hobo or 2 about it.
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Gzette wrote:an inaccurate generalization, but there are a lot of mentally fucked vietnam vets. ask a hobo or 2 about it.
I'm not saying they aren't out there I just thought it was a stupid generalization to make.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Fuck whoever made you a mod again without keeping a way to ignore you.

You had me at goodbye.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Funkmasterr wrote:Pretty much all kettles are black...
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Pretty much all kettles are black...
You're so clever. But you're right though, because I've made generalizations in the past means I can't point out when he's being a retard. Just struck a nerve cause my dad is a Vietnam vet and is most certainly mentally sound, even if he has jumped on the Obamawagon.
Bojangels
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bojangels »

Why is the topic of this thread 'Only in FL'? Don't several other states do this? I think it's stupid that they waited so long to do it. They should just pass a bill that covers all wars, past and future so they don't have to worry about this every time.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Gzette wrote:an inaccurate generalization, but there are a lot of mentally fucked vietnam vets. ask a hobo or 2 about it.
Absolutely. And WWII vets, Korean war vets, Gulf war vets, Iraq vets, etc.. Vietnam wasn't anything special in that regard, it was just the first time it became a popular news item. Much better story than reality, and supported the axe the press had to grind at the time.

Does it mean a lot? Probably not to many except for those receiving them. It's a nice gesture to those who gave up something most people can't comprehend.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."