Music/concert reviews and discussion

Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Toadies - No Deliverance

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I've had a thing for the Toadies since I first saw them live on the Jon Stewart Show all the way back in 1995 when I saw them play "Possum Kingdom", a song that still gets my blood pumping today. Their entire first album is a staple in my collection. Tyler and Away tie with Possum Kingdom for my favorite songs on the first album. I have probably sang along with those 3 songs at max volume in my car more than any other songs I have ever listened to in my life. Combined.

Anyway, they took waaay too much time off, and eventually released "Hell Below, Stars Above" back in 2001. It took a couple of listens to get into the groove, but overall I was surprised how little they had changed (in a good way). I mean hell, bands like Pearl Jam change from album to album and I swear they release one every other month :P I listened to Hell Below/Stars Above for a good long while, and I think "Push the Hand" is my favorite on that release, although "You'll Come Down" and "Dollskin" are also great, so I guess it just depends on my mood.

Since then, Toadies have broken up and the lead singer went on to from Burden Brothers who made 3 albums. They had a particular song that I played for freinds and it was universally liked. It was "Still" off the album "Mercy". I liked Burden Brothers, but a replacement for Toadies, they were not. I missed that muddy sounding bass and wild feedback that fuels Toadies music.

So, I happened to see a new Toadies CD on an end cap at Best Buy, so I immediately went home and DLed it.

I really like the album. I'm even more surprised at how close they have managed to stay to their original sound. The first listen was decent, but by the end of the second listen, I already had a hard time trying to decide which song was my favorite. It's a toss up between 5 of the 10 tracks. It's all foot tapping, great fun. I'm already trying to memorize the lyrics so I can have another Toadies album to sing along to in the car! It sucks that all I can think about is how great this album would be for Rock Band :P Every insturment and even the singing would be fantastic fun IMO.

I think all of these songs are worthy of singles:

I Am a Man of Stone
No Deliverance
Hell In High Water
Flower
Don't Go My Way

The remaining songs are also great, but if I had to pick, I think the above would just fair better on the radio. The song "Give Me Yor Love" is slow to start, but by the 1 minute mark it's pure fucking win. The guitar solo around 1:20 is so much fun.

If you like Toadies, for the love of God, get this album. Virtually every song is sing-along-worthy, which is very rare in today's music IMO.

PS: The American Idol chick, Kelly Clarkson (I had to look that shit up!) was obsessed with the Toadies and followed them all around Texas in her youth. I just thought that was interesting and where the hell else am I going to be able to share that info?!?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Toadies - No Deliverance

Post by Spang »

I saw The Toadies open up for Bush back in high school. The Toadies were better.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Fairweather Pure wrote:So, I happened to see a new Toadies CD on an end cap at Best Buy, so I immediately went home and DLed it.
This sentence started out great... then, EPIC FAIL!!!!

I <3 the toadies. thanks for the tip, i'll go buy it immediately.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I would so go see them in concert, but they need to get the fuck out of Texas and tour my area :P
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I would so go see them in concert, but they need to get the fuck out of Texas and tour my area :P
Maybe if more people in your area supported them by, I don't know, BUYing their music...
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The last CD I actually paid for was either Hell Below/Stars Above by Toadies or Toxicity by System of a Down. Both would've been around the middle of 2001. I've since burnt those CDs and sold them, along with the other 850ish CDs I once owned. I think I actually re-downloaded them both because I burnt them at a low bit rate.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:The last CD I actually paid for was either Hell Below/Stars Above by Toadies or Toxicity by System of a Down. Both would've been around the middle of 2001.
You almost sound proud of that.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:The last CD I actually paid for was either Hell Below/Stars Above by Toadies or Toxicity by System of a Down. Both would've been around the middle of 2001.
Are you surprised?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:
Indifferent actually. Boog's comment just made me realize that Toadies last album may well have been the last CD I actually paid for.