iPod - Removing Duplicate Songs - FreeWare?

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

iPod - Removing Duplicate Songs - FreeWare?

Post by Canelek »

Anything out there, Freeware-wise, that will clean up dupes from iPod? Manually doing this sucks!

thanks,
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: iPod - Removing Duplicate Songs - FreeWare?

Post by Funkmasterr »

Canelek wrote:Anything out there, Freeware-wise, that will clean up dupes from iPod? Manually doing this sucks!

thanks,
Fucking AMEN!

I have like 6k songs in my "duplicates" in Itunes.. I'm not sure why it just randomly duplicates some shit that I add. But I'd really like to clean them up and I can't see myself sifting through all 6k of them.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I have still only seen this happen once. I can't remember what caused it that time, but I also can't figure out what you might be doing to make it happen more often...

In regards to Canelek's question, were you talking about removing them from iTunes or from an iPod?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:I have still only seen this happen once. I can't remember what caused it that time, but I also can't figure out what you might be doing to make it happen more often...

In regards to Canelek's question, were you talking about removing them from iTunes or from an iPod?
I don't know what I could be doing either :( I add them, drag them onto a playlist, and drag that onto my iPod. Not all songs get duplicated... There are like 5-7k dups or so out of 20-25k total songs.

I won't speak for him, but removing them from iTunes would be sufficient, cause I could just wipe my iPod and re-sync it.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I guess the library or hard drive would suffice due to itunes resynch.

Not sure how it happened... it would be cool to periodically clean up the mess though.
en kærlighed småkager
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Hasn't been updated in a million years, but would probably do the job for you: http://www.softsia.com/spaceman99-download_f4h0.htm

Pro: it uses md5 hashes to find duplicate files with different names, so if you have the same song w/ different names it will still find it.

Con: md5 hashing thousands of files, and comparing them is slow. I believe you can turn off that part of the duplicate algorithm though...
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

I manage the IPods that are used at my work. I use a program called EphPod to rip whatever is on the IPod off and then you can reset it to scratch and copy what you need back on. EphPod has some nice features and it's free.
Deward