What do you think about the world?
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Boy told he can't pitch

Post by Tyek »

Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player— too good, it turns out.

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho’s team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho’s coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn’t quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league’s field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

“He’s never hurt any one,” Vidro said. “He’s on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?”

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

“I feel sad,” he said. “I feel like it’s all my fault nobody could play.”

Jericho’s coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league’s administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

“I think it’s discouraging when you’re telling a 9-year-old you’re too good at something,” said his mother, Nicole Scott. “The whole objective in life is to find something you’re good at and stick with it. I’d rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner.”

League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

“He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower,” Noble said. “There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport.”

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

“Facing that kind of speed” is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials say Jericho’s mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

“I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho’s mother exhibited Wednesday night,” Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho’s parents Monday to discuss legal options.

“You don’t have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it’s wrong,” he said. “Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?”
I think the real factor is mentioned about midway through the story. We moved my daughter to a bigger league 2 years ago and no one knew her. Three weeks after the "top teams" had started practicing, we were called and told to meet our team. We were told we had no coach and as an expansion team had to find 2 sponsors, one for the league and one for our team. After seeing my daughter practice that night I was pulled aside and told to ride out this season and next year they would move her to the "top teams" since she was good. I promptly pulled her out of the league.

I was called the next day and asked to reconsider, they told me they could move her to a better team and I explained that would be the opposite of what I was trying to accomplish. I was horrified that winning a under 10 division was more important then developing young players. We moved to an even bigger league that puts all players in a draft and also counts points for pitchers so it is fairly even.

I ran into a guy who was on the team we left. They lost every game badly that year, but he recruited a number of talented young players in the off-season, he was winning the league and the "top teams" were upset that he did not put those players into the main draft.

Unfortunately I also hate the other side of this, which is giving everyone a trophy. There has to be some kind of middle ground between psychotic parents and league officials, and awarding everyone something.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Boy told he can't pitch

Post by Truant »

Obviously a crooked league. And I can say from my own experience, they're more common than not.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I believe the children are the future. Teach them well and let them lead the way.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Maybe he can be brought up to pitch for the Braves or Reds.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

When I played Pee Wee football and baseball, my school always had enough kids to make 2 teams. As children, we simplay called them the good team and the bad team. I was always on the bad team, lol.

My very first year, the good football team won every game except one. Meanwhile, the bad team I played only won a single game. It was the last game of the season and we beat the only other team in the league that had never won a game either. We scored a single touchdown, which was our only score the entire season. Our celebration was so great, you would've thought we just won the Super Bowl.

I fucking hated sports. I have no idea why I played them every year for so long. I dropped out when everyone hit puberty except me. Fuck that noise.

I'll take wrestling over all those other sports I played as a child.
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Growing up playing in Youth soccer leagues for 12 years or so, I had the pleasure to be in the age group of the league commissioner's son. That team was a powerhouse of good players that almost all would end up on the all-star/tournament teams along with myself and a handful of others. I don't think we had something this blatant where new talent showed up in the league and they got immediately put on that good team, but I always assumed every league had some crazy awesome stacked team.

Also, although that powerhouse team was usually really good, we did beat them 1 or 2 seasons and it was one of the greatest fucking feelings ever.

I know my situation doesn't exactly relate to this, that fucking league forcing that kid to not play/pitch is a fucking tragedy. When I read stories like this, I get scared that my kid won't have the awesome experience of youth sports I had growing up. I've played on some exceedingly awesome and very terribad sports teams throughout my 14+ years of sports and I'd be hard pressed to think of a time when it wasn't fun. (I did get a soccer ball kicked straight into my nuts a few times, those games were not fun.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

sports forum?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

It's good to see that some of the people that post rarely make sure they post about something meaningful when they do.
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Funkmasterr wrote:It's good to see that some of the people that post rarely make sure they post about something meaningful when they do.
Sports were a pretty big deal for me growing up, I found the OP meaningful!
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I'm not sure that I'd classify averaging roughly 3 posts a week over 6 years as "rarely posts," though.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

im pretty sure he has his vag in a twist over Kev's post. nevermind that the single post contains more meaningful thought than funk's entire history
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

cadalano wrote:im pretty sure he has his vag in a twist over Kev's post. nevermind that the post contains more meaningful thought than funk's entire posting history
You are correct, die in a fire.

:D
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

cadalano wrote:im pretty sure he has his vag in a twist over Kev's post. nevermind that the single post contains more meaningful thought than funk's entire history
I wasn't sure if he was talking about my or Kev's post, I assumed mine since I post much less than Kev.
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

In that case, make that 'averaging nearly 8 posts a week.' The point remains.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Xatrei wrote:In that case, make that 'averaging nearly 8 posts a week.' The point remains.
I hadn't seen a post from him in quite a while now and thought it was funny he chose to make a post like this. It annoys the shit out of me when people make one liner posts about what forum the topic is in, or when people respond with a link to a previous thread and nothing else.. it's just obnoxious.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Oh shut the fuck up you whiney little bitch.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

I read the Current Events forum on a daily basis, and I simply think that this topic would fit better In the sports forum.

Should I have written an fucking essay to get my point across?

Sorry to disappoint you Funk, I know you represent the higher standards among VV posters.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Glad I got the dingleberry brigade all riled up.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I find this complete horseshit.

Let the kids play. Keep the parents the fuck out of it. This kid has every right to pitch with his friends. He is 9 for pete's sake! Also, let the kids hit against him. If they can't, so what? Most of us played some manner of sports at that age. For me, it was football. Believe me, my parents didn't get riled up when my team played against a team that had better/bigger kids on it.

This whole incident has NOTHING to do with the kids. Talk about sending confusing messages... and this whole business about a team forfeiting is total bush. Hell, is it now better to quit if you think your competition is too good? Hey, if this kid ends up being something when he is older, the other kids can at least say they struck out to so-and-so when they were younger.
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Canelek wrote:I find this complete horseshit.

Let the kids play. Keep the parents the fuck out of it. This kid has every right to pitch with his friends. He is 9 for pete's sake! Also, let the kids hit against him. If they can't, so what? Most of us played some manner of sports at that age. For me, it was football. Believe me, my parents didn't get riled up when my team played against a team that had better/bigger kids on it.

This whole incident has NOTHING to do with the kids. Talk about sending confusing messages... and this whole business about a team forfeiting is total bush. Hell, is it now better to quit if you think your competition is too good? Hey, if this kid ends up being something when he is older, the other kids can at least say they struck out to so-and-so when they were younger.
They are just weeding out the kids that they don't think will do well enough before they get to high school. Hell, my high school is a public school and they recruited kids for all different sports from all over the country even though that's not legal.

We won a lot of national and international championships for a variety of sports, but I can tell you for certain the number of parents in the bleachers screaming at the tops of their lungs at their kids/their team, which to me just defeats the purpose of the sport, and is big part of the reason I never played sports.

The problem is that the people running the teams only care about winning, and to be honest as much as it sucks I don't think you'll see that attitude changing anytime soon, if ever.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

I thought it was CE more then sports because it relates to the whole dumbing down and easing we are doing here now to this younger generation. The whole, here's an award for showing up shit is stupid. They are telling this whole league, he is too good so we won't make you play him...huh??? I am sure the league administrators team has some damn good players who are free to play wherever they like.

In baseball, we had Jim Edmonds, Mike Harkey and George Hendrick's kid, Brian (Brian was 6'3" in 7th grade and could throw HARD). We also had a kid named Corey Kapano (http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Randy_Kapano) who was probably the best player in the league, but had temperment issues that got him kicked out of high school and other sports. Looking back we were stacked as well, we did it a little more subtly. Corey's dad was our club soccer coach, so Jimmy and I threw our tryouts along with about 5 other players and Brian Hendrick so we dominated, but I became a much better player for playing with and later against them. Making All-stars was difficult with that much talent, but I worked hard and did it. We even had Dana Hall (the pro football player) in our league.

I think every league has a powerhouse. I know in my kids soccer league, there are 3 or 4 adults who scout players all year and know who the best 7th rounder is, as well as the best 1st rounder. I have no issue with that. What I have issue with is this league telling a young player he cannot have fun and play the game in the position he enjoys. He has hit no one, so I don't see the issue. Batting against Mike Harkey was scary as shit, but when I made a connection the ball sailed forever. I felt like I really accomplished something.

I do apologize if I put it in the wrong forum.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

This story could go in either forum, its as much CE worthy as sports worthy.

I think its horseshit and the kid should be able to play, its not like he is killing kids with wild pitches
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Pretty sad that the idiot parent-brigade allowed this to happen. It's good to see it become a big news story, those people must feel humiliated and embarrassed now for being shown to be the assholes that they are.

The assumption must have been that they would have got their own way in their little shitty community.

Hopefully, the pressure the media has put on this by exposing it will stop the whole nonsense and play can resume.

Frankly though, the media really should have better things to do than report on this shit.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

The media is a rather large entity. They can't all report on Iraq.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Nick wrote:Pretty sad that the idiot parent-brigade allowed this to happen. It's good to see it become a big news story, those people must feel humiliated and embarrassed now for being shown to be the assholes that they are.

The assumption must have been that they would have got their own way in their little shitty community.

Hopefully, the pressure the media has put on this by exposing it will stop the whole nonsense and play can resume.

Frankly though, the media really should have better things to do than report on this shit.
I kind of agree that there are other more important things that can be reported, but like you said, hopefully the pressure of the media stops shit like this from happening. I think letting things like this go can end up leading to kids realizing that hey, if I don't think I'm gonna win, let's just make the other guy quit or rearrange the rules because ME winning is fucking end all be all, screw anyone else. You know, the whole kid's are the future and all that stuff; there's a lot of bad parenting going on and anything that can be done to put a stop to that, I'm all for it.
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Oh, I think the media plays a very positive role in situations like this. These 'local' stories often create community outrage and force shady asshats to make the "right" move in order to fix what they fucked.

Not like they share news vans!
en kærlighed småkager
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

I work at a small community newspaper, and we never ever ever cover things like the War on Terror. Why? Because that's what major news outlets are for. There's room for all sorts of coverage, and yes if there is a conflict it should be covered, especially when an organization (I'm assuming a non-profit) is involved. I'm guessing a small, community newspaper was the first to report this.

Sometimes Nick, these odd stories gain traction and get picked up by large outlets. I've seen it happen with stories of mine, which only immediately impacted the community, but were compelling nevertheless to outsiders. But I think Nick only deals with superlatives and OUTRAGE!
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Gzette wrote:I work at a small community newspaper, and we never ever ever cover things like the War on Terror. Why? Because that's what major news outlets are for. There's room for all sorts of coverage, and yes if there is a conflict it should be covered, especially when an organization (I'm assuming a non-profit) is involved. I'm guessing a small, community newspaper was the first to report this.

Sometimes Nick, these odd stories gain traction and get picked up by large outlets. I've seen it happen with stories of mine, which only immediately impacted the community, but were compelling nevertheless to outsiders. But I think Nick only deals with superlatives and OUTRAGE!
There's no think about it, you're dead on. There's so many terrible things the U.S. is doing in so many different areas that it's absolutely unacceptable if all areas of the media aren't focused on them 100% of the time.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I obviously wasn't referring to local papers, I was referring to the global outlets. Like a local paper is going to do in-depth coverage of world events. :roll: It's like I'm talking to fucking monkeys here sometimes.
Sirton
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sirton »

:lol: we fking suck this shouldnt even be coming up as a story...R we the US or what?
CRY HAVOC...........AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR!!!!!
Lynxe
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lynxe »

I'm gonna get flamed for saying this, but I don't totally disagree with taking him out of the league.

I am a parent of young kids and the idea of anyone (I don't give a flying fuck what age) throwing a baseball at my young child half as fast as the average major leaguer scares the crap out of me. I don't care if he's never hit anyone because he might, or one of the kids might walk into the path of it (9 year olds remember, not pros). Someone doesn't have to get hurt first to realize that situation is far more dangerous than the average chance at a "sports injury".

I'd be upset if the league never spoke to the parents and child, played up his amazing ability yet explaining the concerns of the other parents and offering alternatives (like a different position or or a league better suited to his talent) - but they did.

I know this sounds cruel, but if my choice was not hurting this kids feelings because he is "too good" or letting my child face down 40mph pitches... my child would win.
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

so where do you draw the line, then? what mph is too much?... sorry but getting into these types of situations ruins it for everyone. All sports have dangers involved and guess what, they'll get over it.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Fash wrote:so where do you draw the line, then? what mph is too much?... sorry but getting into these types of situations ruins it for everyone. All sports have dangers involved and guess what, they'll get over it.
What speed does your average 10 year old pitcher on a team like this throw at?
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I understand Aslanna's perspective, but it really has little to do with the context of this particular event.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Aardor wrote:
Fash wrote:so where do you draw the line, then? what mph is too much?... sorry but getting into these types of situations ruins it for everyone. All sports have dangers involved and guess what, they'll get over it.
What speed does your average 10 year old pitcher on a team like this throw at?
Why ask me? Anyways, what.. did this kid get bit by a radioactive spider or something? How much faster can he throw than the others? A baseball hurts at any speed, and isn't this why they wear helmets?
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

*shrug* Why allow kids to play sports at all? There is risk. Should we ban football now? Swimming? Skateboarding?

Tell ya what, we can just have government-issued helmets and padded coveralls for children under 12 and call it a day.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Nick wrote:I understand Aslanna's perspective, but it really has little to do with the context of this particular event.
Do you dare question Whitney's wisdom? It's applicable to every event!

--
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Aslanna wrote: Do you dare question Whitney's wisdom? It's applicable to every event!
How will I know?
Bojangels
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bojangels »

Fash wrote:
Aardor wrote: What speed does your average 10 year old pitcher on a team like this throw at?
Why ask me? Anyways, what.. did this kid get bit by a radioactive spider or something? How much faster can he throw than the others? A baseball hurts at any speed, and isn't this why they wear helmets?
And cups! Why don't they just move this kid up to an older or more competitive league?
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Yeah, it's really a nonsense non story only applicable because it highlights the petty nature of local sports parents. Aslanna's just pandering to the the local sports parents base!!!

Ultimately, I'm not a parent, so I have zero fucking clue whatsoever what it feels like to have my own child in danger. I get it *stealing an Obama line*

But still, this whole thing is only in existence because the parents of a rival team wanted him on their team, he refused, and this is the backlash. Aslanna, do you acknowledge this?

A child like this should be cherished for his natural talent, not made to feel like a communities villain because some other person's kids are horribly shit at the game of baseball. Isn't that pretty much the be all and end all of this story? No?

So the kid should be moved up to a higher level of play. All this emo drama nonsense is merely parental jealousy run amok.

No?

duuurrrr, well ok.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I think you're confusing someone elses post with mine! My only perspective consisted of a Whitney Houston quote...

--
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Man I really need to start swotting up on my Whitney quotes 8)
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

*shrug* We were taking batting practice in the 45mph cages in the 11-12 year old division (that's only one higher than the one in the story). I'm pretty sure there were cats who could throw those speeds at that age.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Lynxe wrote:I'm gonna get flamed for saying this, but I don't totally disagree with taking him out of the league.

I am a parent of young kids and the idea of anyone (I don't give a flying fuck what age) throwing a baseball at my young child half as fast as the average major leaguer scares the crap out of me. I don't care if he's never hit anyone because he might, or one of the kids might walk into the path of it (9 year olds remember, not pros). Someone doesn't have to get hurt first to realize that situation is far more dangerous than the average chance at a "sports injury".

I'd be upset if the league never spoke to the parents and child, played up his amazing ability yet explaining the concerns of the other parents and offering alternatives (like a different position or or a league better suited to his talent) - but they did.

I know this sounds cruel, but if my choice was not hurting this kids feelings because he is "too good" or letting my child face down 40mph pitches... my child would win.

Ok Lynxe, please do not take any offense to this but you pretty much sum up exactly whats wrong with society today. I've been playing baseball since I was five and it was tee-ball and I've been hit more times than I can remember. I was on the mound and took a line drive right above my right eye. Baseball is a pretty hard sport to get hurt in, espicially at a young age. But seriously, when did society start coddling kids so much? When I was younger I was playing baseball,football and basketball year round and got the crap kicked outta me because i wasn't a big kid. But you know what, i never regretted it, it never discouraged me from playing, it motivated me to push harder and perservere. And I honestly think it made me a better person now because of it. I'll admit I may have a rather naive stance on this because I don't have children, so I really dont know how I would feel if I did and it was my kid batting.

And as for this poor kid, just because he's been given a natural gift of being a more developed player than joey bagadonuts kid doesn't mean he should be punished for it. This is the exact reason why I despise youth sports these days. All these fucking soccer moms and washed up dads trying to live their legacy through their kids minor athletic achievements and putting themselves before their kid. I personally believe a father should not be allowed to coach his own kid because of the blatent favoritism that they always show for the own child.

The bottom line of this rant (sorry baseball is a passionate subject of mine) is that this kid should not be punished for his abilities. Because in the end, the other kids are going to catch up to the speed anyway. It in fact makes them better players in the process because they'll be used to seeing the speed and will learn to adjust or choke up and bring the bat around quicker. Shit take them to the batting cages so they can learn how to hit his speed. Instead of setting fucking limits on the kids, try to help them become better.

/rant off
Timmah.

Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

I personally believe a father should not be allowed to coach his own kid because of the blatent favoritism that they always show for the own child.
I don't disagree with this, except it is almost impossible to get coaches as it is. I have another knee surgery in a few months and every step is painful, but I got roped into helping again because they needed help and our team had 1 coach who was new to coaching.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I would just bump the gifted kid up to the next level of the league. Everybody wins.
Lynxe
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lynxe »

People can be so quick to judge. If you try to keep your kids safe you are coddling them, and when something bad happens, you were not keeping them safe enough. The world is not that black and white. There is a happy medium between safe participation and endangering. Accidents happen, but you don't create an environment that drastically increases the chances that they will.

If an adult could throw a pitch at 40mph, he/she wouldn't do it playing a game with a bunch of 9 year olds because at that age, children are not advanced enough to receive it. It could seriously hurt one of them and it would scare them. The fact that this is a child throwing those pitches doesn't make in any less dangerous, in fact it makes it worse.

Some of you are missing an important line in that story:
League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.
Thus my previous comment of:
One of the stories I read said his parents refused the league's offer to let him play against the older players because they thought it was the leagues way of targeting him over his refusal to play on the defending team. Scared kids and their parents walked away when this kid took the mound, that wasn't "the league". At 9, ball is supposed to be fun and I think this kids parents were too wrapped up in the competition than caring about the safety of the other 9 year olds he played against. Oh sure they'd figure it out when some child goes up to bat, notices his lace is untied and walks into a 40mph pitch as he bends to tie it, but it is a little late then isn't it?
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have