New 1.5 TB drive from Seagate

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

New 1.5 TB drive from Seagate

Post by Xatrei »

http://www.hothardware.com/News/Seagate ... _Capacity/

I welcome this, as it should drive 1TB drives down in price a bit. I'm planning on building a beefy media server for our new house when we move next month, but I may wait a bit longer if it looks like 1TB drives might be in the budget this fall.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: New 1.5 TB drive from Seagate

Post by Winnow »

Xatrei wrote:http://www.hothardware.com/News/Seagate ... _Capacity/

I welcome this, as it should drive 1TB drives down in price a bit. I'm planning on building a beefy media server for our new house when we move next month, but I may wait a bit longer if it looks like 1TB drives might be in the budget this fall.

You can catch 1TB drives on sale for under $200 now and 750's are $109 at Fry's.

I'm still hoping for a static storage solution in the future but my plan is to get a velociraptor 300GB drive as my OS/work drive, partioned, and then have a few mammoth 1TB or greater drives to screw around with. I keep looking at recordable blu-ray and it's too damn expensive. With my hotswap four drive storage bay, just buying another 750 HD for $100.00 is equal to buying about $450.00 in recordable 25GB Blu-Ray disks, along with also needing to buy bluray recorder.

My short term solution for saving files I want is creating 100GB Truecrypt files and then just dragging them over to another HD periodically as a backup.

I can picture having two 1.5 TB drives in two bays and then hot swapping other HDs out on the other two bays, treating 1TB drives like floppy discs like I do with my smaller HDs now. I think 3TB would be enough to handle most frequently accessed data and then swapping the rest. I might also just break down and build a dedicated server.

I have a way to remotely stream any video or song on my network to my new cell phone. So cool. All the encoding is done on the fly and then a 3g video is broadcast. You can stream live TV as well.

Orb (free) works great with the Instinct (and iPhone, etc)

http://www.orb.com/en/screenshots

this is where my recently increased 2Mbps upstream helps from Cox.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

I've tried Orb and just about every single media streaming software out there. For some reason I always run into either some firewall issue (and nothing in the docs/forums helps) or I can't get WMP to play the streams.

Winnow, just put together the dedicated fileserver. I did and love it. I ended up with W2K3 and used the OS raid 5. So far been working great for me.
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

valryte wrote:I've tried Orb and just about every single media streaming software out there. For some reason I always run into either some firewall issue (and nothing in the docs/forums helps) or I can't get WMP to play the streams.
Orb is no different! It has issues with Vista but works fine on my Laptop using XP.

I went nuts for an entire day trying to get it to work on Vista, thinking it was a router issue, port issue, etc. I finally went over to my laptop, installed Orb, and it worked right away. Orb's a little slow with updates so it might be awhile. That's one of the reasons I was considering a dedicated fileserver that I could use XP on (I'd use Linux but it's lame).
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

I run XP...so it's not a Vista issue. I imagine they have been some changes in the past year, so I might try it out again and see how it's doing. But as far as I'm concerned, no one has gotten it done right yet. A friend and I considered creating one, that actually worked, but we've been too busy with other stuff.

The issues they all have in some form or another are:
  • Firewall issues with no simple solutions
    Media compatibility
    The players suck (many use the Flash player, which sucks because it saves the entire file on the clients machine).
    No support for on the fly media conversion
    UI's suck
    Poor support for MP3 tag information/searching/grouping
    Problems playing via 3rd party media players like WinAmp or WMP
That's one of the reasons I was considering a dedicated fileserver that I could use XP on (I'd use Linux but it's lame).
XP?...Forget Linux, just use Server 2003.
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm holding out for a 3Gb or 5GB drive.

I've got too many 750GBs and 500's lying around. Need a nice big drive and then I'm going to start saving TV series, movies, etc and use my hotswap front drive bay like a floppy for movies with up to 5,000 movies on a single drive. I still seem to have crap all over the place even with 3.5TB of space.

I think that with maybe 20 TB 4X5GB drives, you could seriously consider having everything stored in one place. I never felt that way in the past, even when I bought the original 1TB Terastation years ago it didn't seem like enough space as a full blown media server.

Even full Blu Ray movies at 1080p are only 10GB without the extras so you could have almost 500 of those on a 5TB drive. Not bad.

Fry's has 1TB drives for 149.00 . It looks like with the 1.5TB being only 189.00 we may be in for another round of announcements from the HD companies.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Winnow wrote:I'm holding out for a 3Gb or 5GB drive.
Good luck with that!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Truant wrote:
Winnow wrote:I'm holding out for a 3Gb or 5GB drive.
Good luck with that!

They'll be here within a year or less. I'll make an avatar bet if you want!
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

are we talking minus years?... are you posting from 1993?

g != t
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Damn it! That was a typo on purpose in case I was wrong! Shhh
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

ROR
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

Mwave.com has 1tb drives for $125. The 1 tb drives are dropping in price fast.
Deward
Tombfyre
No Stars!

Post by Tombfyre »

Hey Winnow - how do you handle your hot swappable drives? Do you have a case that supports hot swapping, or do you have some sort of external enclosure? I'm looking to set something like this up, but I'm not really sure the best option.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tombfyre wrote:Hey Winnow - how do you handle your hot swappable drives? Do you have a case that supports hot swapping, or do you have some sort of external enclosure? I'm looking to set something like this up, but I'm not really sure the best option.

You can see my setup near the bottom of this thread:

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... 25&t=20532
Tombfyre
No Stars!

Post by Tombfyre »

Nice! Thanks a lot =)