Cedar Rapids vs New Orleans

What do you think about the world?
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Cedar Rapids vs New Orleans

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

What exactly has been the major difference between the Iowa floods and the Louisiana floods? Is FEMA that much better now? Is it because the people in Iowa are not utter retards? Will the citizens of Cedar Rapids turn on the gubment and blame them for everything?
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Cedar Rapids vs New Orleans

Post by Ashur »

I'm curious myself after seeing the eerily familiar pics of flooded downtown. No one is raging against the government and George Bush and his secret hatred of Iowans.

EDIT: They are definitely bemoaning the lack of Flood Insurance though... not that I blame them...
- Ash
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Ashur wrote:I'm curious myself after seeing the eerily familiar pics of flooded downtown. No one is raging against the government and George Bush and his secret hatred of Iowans.

EDIT: They are definitely bemoaning the lack of Flood Insurance though... not that I blame them...
That's because the fault didn't lie with Bush for New Orleans, and it's no different with this situation. It is also because these people have at least somewhat of a sense of responsibility, as opposed to the mostly lower-income people from New Orleans that are already very used to blaming "the man" for everything that is bad in their lives.
This is far from the first time this has happened in Iowa/Southern Minnesota, etc - and it will not be the last. The people living in those areas know damn well this is a possibility each and every spring, and they still choose to take that chance.

And can you blame the insurance companies on the flood insurance? Don't live on the bank of a river that fucking floods every year and maybe it won't be a concern. I mean some of those towns the government has actually said enough is enough to, and made the entire town move further up on the riverbank to avoid as much of a flooding issue - because they are sick of having to spend government money to rebuild these places.

This is the same logic that should have been used in NO. We cannot assure that any equipment we set up will keep the town from flooding again, so the town will not be rebuilt.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Um, there was flood insurance for people in the "normal" flood zones. This is flooding 500 year flood zones, which do not require flood insurance. Also, it isn't the insurance companies that decide if it is needed or not.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

One of those groups of people have been told they were victims, one of them don't consider themselves victims and bonded together. They didn't expect everything to be done for them.

Where are all the reporters? Where are the claims of the government abandoning them? Where are the insinuations that Bush blew up the levies?

The farm lands lost in this tragedy will have a much greater impact on the country's economy versus the damage done in New Orleans impacting the local economy of New Orleans.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:The farm lands lost in this tragedy will have a much greater impact on the country's economy versus the damage done in New Orleans impacting the local economy of New Orleans.
I'm not so sure about that. If I recall correctly, Katrina fucked up a lot of our oil refining capacity on the Gulf coast.

Also, not talking about mandatory flood insurance, but optional flood insurance. It made me think "Do I need it?" and consider any/all local watersheds. Something I did NOT do when I first bought my home.
- Ash
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I've been out of the media loop a lot more the last few days than I was during Katrina, is the damage on a similar scale? I heard a brief mention of the Mississippi flooding on the radio this morning, but other than that haven't heard anything about this. Granted I haven't been around a television in a number of days, and I haven't visited cnn.com (but will now).

Similar amount of deaths, property damage, people being evacuated to a location that had inadequate supplies of food and potable water? Was it centrally located in a major metropolis?

Forgive me questioning, I'm just a bit out of the loop and remember previous comparisons to katrina.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:I've been out of the media loop a lot more the last few days than I was during Katrina, is the damage on a similar scale? I heard a brief mention of the Mississippi flooding on the radio this morning, but other than that haven't heard anything about this. Granted I haven't been around a television in a number of days, and I haven't visited cnn.com (but will now).

Similar amount of deaths, property damage, people being evacuated to a location that had inadequate supplies of food and potable water? Was it centrally located in a major metropolis?

Forgive me questioning, I'm just a bit out of the loop and remember previous comparisons to katrina.

There are a couple of issues in Iowa. A lake (can't remember the name) flooded over and made its way to a (somewhat) nearby river and obviously took out everything on it's way there. On top of that, all (I think 9) of the major rivers in the area are flooding. That is oversimplifying it, but gives you an idea.

This is worse than most years but what people don't understand is this happens every year in southern MN, and Iowa..
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Just referencing the research I did last time, and comparing with numbers currently on CNN.
Katrina wrote:the Louisiana government reports that it killed around 1500 people. Other figures put that number closer to 3000 when including all the states affected by it. An estimated 600,000 pets were killed or left without shelter. 1.5 million people were rendered homeless. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $150B worth of damage was caused, the costliest natural disaster in US history.
Cedar Rapids wrote:Midwest floodwaters have killed five people, displaced 38,000 others and damaged $1 billion worth of crops in Iowa alone.
Seems to be a bit of a different scale, but feel free to compare them.

Go Blue!
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

They evacuated many areas. The Mayor fo chocolate city, refused to evacuate.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

if you are making an honest comparison between katrina and the iowa floods, you are either completely misinformed or just vanilla stupid. the fact is that no meaningful comparison can be drawn between the two without the exclusion of common sense. starting first and foremost with the logistics of the scenario, as Sylvus pointed out..
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:Just referencing the research I did last time, and comparing with numbers currently on CNN.
Katrina wrote:the Louisiana government reports that it killed around 1500 people. Other figures put that number closer to 3000 when including all the states affected by it. An estimated 600,000 pets were killed or left without shelter. 1.5 million people were rendered homeless. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $150B worth of damage was caused, the costliest natural disaster in US history.
Cedar Rapids wrote:Midwest floodwaters have killed five people, displaced 38,000 others and damaged $1 billion worth of crops in Iowa alone.
Seems to be a bit of a different scale, but feel free to compare them.
The scale of it doesn't negate the original point that was being made, sir. You have one group of ignorant, section 8 douchebags that blame the government for everything pointing the finger at the government because of Katrina. Then you have another group of people who probably felt just as hopeless but decided to do something about it instead of looking for someone to blame.

You didn't hear about it because the people teamed up and stacked sandbags, helped evacuate, etc. They didn't blame Bush because their mayor and governor didn't sit on their ass while people died.

There is a major difference in the reactions here that is most certainly worth pointing out.

That and I am going to guess that the 1 billion dollars in crops that was destroyed is going to have a much larger than 1 billion dollar effect, when you consider how it will effect the prices of already extremely high produce prices.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:They evacuated many areas. The Mayor fo chocolate city, refused to evacuate.
WICKED troll, bro

we're only allowed to blame the government if its an incompetent black mayor in a black city, am i right?
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Personally I keep waiting for an event that takes Manhatten underwater, like maybe Namor of Atlantis gets pissed at the evil land-dwellers and decides to punish us.

Lord knows that he's dying to!
- Ash
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

cadalano wrote:
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:They evacuated many areas. The Mayor fo chocolate city, refused to evacuate.
WICKED troll, bro

we're only allowed to blame the government if its an incompetent black mayor in a black city, am i right?
No, but someone should take every opportunity they can to take black people that blame "the man" for everything down a peg, and make them feel as completely worthless as humanly possible.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Ashur wrote:Personally I keep waiting for an event that takes Manhatten underwater, like maybe Namor of Atlantis gets pissed at the evil land-dwellers and decides to punish us.

I like Manhattan! :P
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Canelek wrote:
Ashur wrote:Personally I keep waiting for an event that takes Manhatten underwater, like maybe Namor of Atlantis gets pissed at the evil land-dwellers and decides to punish us.

I like Manhattan! :P
Me too :( I'd much rather see him smite New Orleans, and finish the goddamn job this time.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Though the devesation in property in Iowa might be comparable to that of Katrina, the devestation in human (and animal) life was astronomically higher with Katrina (due in part by the fact that the flooding after Katrina was unexpected while the floods in Iowa were somewhat predicted making it easier for people to evacuate).

Iowa Floods:

Katrina:

Though both are sad, it's human nature to care for the human more than the material.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

laneela wrote:Though both are sad, it's human nature to care for the human more than the material.
Eh, I think you'll find around here that it isn't. Or else some people don't consider those affected by Katrina to be humans...

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:
laneela wrote:Though both are sad, it's human nature to care for the human more than the material.
Eh, I think you'll find around here that it isn't. Or else some people don't consider those affected by Katrina to be humans...
I think you are being a tad dramatic, and completely ignoring/avoiding the original point of the thread, which was not how comparable the scale of the two events were destruction wise.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

So, if they were on the same scale Sylvus would fully expect the same barbaric reactions from the Iowa folks. I'm sure you really believe that Sylvus. I'm sure you do. HAHAHA
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Isn't the population of Cedar Rapids like 20% of New Orleans?
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:Isn't the population of Cedar Rapids like 20% of New Orleans?
Wouldn't you say that probably in excess of 80% of black people in New Orleans eat corn bread that was originally made from corn from the midwest?

I can throw around numbers that are irrelevant to the topic at hand too, if that's the game everyone is gonna play.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Oh, I already answered the original question, which was "What exactly has been the major difference between the Iowa floods and the Louisiana floods?"

The difference is in scale and logistics. You yourself said "This is worse than most years but what people don't understand is this happens every year in southern MN, and Iowa". New Orleans, as far as I know, doesn't flood annually. It wasn't centrally located in a major metropolitan area that lacked the infrastructure to get people out of the area in a reasonable time. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that most of the people affected by these floods had much easier access to vehicles than a lot of the people who lived their whole lives downtown in a city that didn't generally need vehicles.

Am I being overdramatic? Perhaps, but when you're suggesting that we make people feel as "worthless as possible", and midnyte (admittedly in the linked thread) is referring to people as animals (okay, upon reviewing my post before submit, looks like they are barbarians too), and your biggest concern in any of the threads so far seems to be the $1B in crop damage, am I making a huge logical leap from "it's human nature to care for the human more than the material" to "i think you'll find around here that it isn't"?

For whatever reason, at every turn, you guys try to make the Katrina tragedy less than what it was. It is definitely partially the fault of the mayor of NO, some part belongs to the US government, and yeah there were a number of bad people who did bad things or pointed their fingers the wrong way. But the fact of the matter is, there were a lot more innocent people who were killed, hurt, or rendered homeless, and it doesn't seem like you or midnyte or a few other people have even the slightest bit of empathy for them.

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:Oh, I already answered the original question, which was "What exactly has been the major difference between the Iowa floods and the Louisiana floods?"

The difference is in scale and logistics. You yourself said "This is worse than most years but what people don't understand is this happens every year in southern MN, and Iowa". New Orleans, as far as I know, doesn't flood annually. It wasn't centrally located in a major metropolitan area that lacked the infrastructure to get people out of the area in a reasonable time. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that most of the people affected by these floods had much easier access to vehicles than a lot of the people who lived their whole lives downtown in a city that didn't generally need vehicles.

Am I being overdramatic? Perhaps, but when you're suggesting that we make people feel as "worthless as possible", and midnyte (admittedly in the linked thread) is referring to people as animals (okay, upon reviewing my post before submit, looks like they are barbarians too), and your biggest concern in any of the threads so far seems to be the $1B in crop damage, am I making a huge logical leap from "it's human nature to care for the human more than the material" to "i think you'll find around here that it isn't"?

For whatever reason, at every turn, you guys try to make the Katrina tragedy less than what it was. It is definitely partially the fault of the mayor of NO, some part belongs to the US government, and yeah there were a number of bad people who did bad things or pointed their fingers the wrong way. But the fact of the matter is, there were a lot more innocent people who were killed, hurt, or rendered homeless, and it doesn't seem like you or midnyte or a few other people have even the slightest bit of empathy for them.
I guess I don't really agree. It sucks to be them, and to a part of me feels bad for them. But a part of me thinks there is absolutely no reason to live in a city that should be part of the ocean and may become exactly that at any given time.

Yes there are natural disasters all around the country, but I choose to live in a area where the disasters that could effect me (tornadoes) don't generally hurt many people and rarely form in the area I live in.

By all means though, continue to defend black American's birth right to neglect their duties as parents (and blame it on their parents), their right to live in section 8 housing and leach off the government that is supposedly holding them down from getting a real job (again, and blame it on the government), to shoot and kill each other in the streets (also white mans fault) over drugs that the government obviously planted in their neighborhoods to help get them all in jail.

See a pattern? NO responsibility at all, which was a big part of the NO problem.. Weird, huh? You really don't think this is an issue? I guess it all must be their way of giving themselves reparations for slavery? Give me a break.
Last edited by Funkmasterr on June 17, 2008, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Funkmasterr wrote:Yes there are natural disasters all around the country, but I choose to live in a area where the disasters that could effect me (tornadoes) don't generally hurt many people and rarely form in the area I live in.
Eh, I think you're off a little there. You were born or raised in an area where you have little to worry about from natural disasters, and are affluent enough to stay there or move somewhere more to your liking if you decided, for example, "you know, the bridges around here are poorly built and are collapsing, I think it'd be safer to move". I'm the exact same boat here in lovely Michigan, where the disasters are as infrequent as the economy is bad. But I could go if I wanted.

I think that the opportunities for a low-income family in downtown New Orleans are much more limited. Not to mention that it was terribly difficult for them to pack up and evacuate once they were told that they should, for a number of reasons outside their control. I agree that it's terribly stupid for anyone to live below sea-level in hurricane alley, but most of the people that were affected by Katrina probably aren't urban planners, they probably aren't the city's founders, and they probably didn't even rent a U-Haul and decide to settle in that spot.

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Yes there are natural disasters all around the country, but I choose to live in a area where the disasters that could effect me (tornadoes) don't generally hurt many people and rarely form in the area I live in.
Eh, I think you're off a little there. You were born or raised in an area where you have little to worry about from natural disasters, and are affluent enough to stay there or move somewhere more to your liking if you decided, for example, "you know, the bridges around here are poorly built and are collapsing, I think it'd be safer to move". I'm the exact same boat here in lovely Michigan, where the disasters are as infrequent as the economy is bad. But I could go if I wanted.

I think that the opportunities for a low-income family in downtown New Orleans are much more limited. Not to mention that it was terribly difficult for them to pack up and evacuate once they were told that they should, for a number of reasons outside their control. I agree that it's terribly stupid for anyone to live below sea-level in hurricane alley, but most of the people that were affected by Katrina probably aren't urban planners, they probably aren't the city's founders, and they probably didn't even rent a U-Haul and decide to settle in that spot.
I wouldn't really argue against your second paragraph. That doesn't mean that anyone isn't capable of busting their ass and getting their family out of a bad situation if they truly want to.. At least IMO.
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

Tossed in a local TV station link so you can get a bit more of the local type coverage as the national coverage just tends to focus on all the bad stuff. http://www.kcrg.com/

Lots of pics and some video as well. http://www.kcrg.com/younews

I dont think we will see the level of complaining about FEMA in this one but I do think we will see the people way out on the 500 year line asking for cash to rebuild.
Forthe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Brutus709

Post by Forthe »

If a fraction of the people that died in New Orleans were currently dying in Cedar Rapids while the president was busy doing photo ops with birthday cakes there would be a much bigger uproar. Imagine the effect of a few pics of white bodies floating in the water would have.

You are the ultimate apologist trying to excuse the complete incompetence displayed duing Katrina. Isn't the (often touted) first responsibility of the president to protect USAdians? Katrina was a huge FAIL.
All posts are personal opinion.
My opinion may == || != my guild's.
"All spelling mistakes were not on purpose as I dont know shit ." - Torrkir
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I see the usual bunch of fuckwits are getting the digs in on "the blacks" while they can.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Forthe wrote:If a fraction of the people that died in New Orleans were currently dying in Cedar Rapids while the president was busy doing photo ops with birthday cakes there would be a much bigger uproar. Imagine the effect of a few pics of white bodies floating in the water would have.

You are the ultimate apologist trying to excuse the complete incompetence displayed duing Katrina. Isn't the (often touted) first responsibility of the president to protect USAdians? Katrina was a huge FAIL.

I'd love to hear how it was a huge fail. A tragedy happened and FEMA and many others went in and helped everyone. Besides the animal behavior of gang members and thugs raping women, looting every store within hours of the flooding, hordes of scum walking around with guns and shooting people, how did the government fail them? Is the government failing Iowa? Why are things things happening in Iowa? Oh yeah, because the flodding was severe, but not as severe. I get it.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I think it took a few days before help arrived in New Orleans. The media were all over the fucking place, but they weren't helping. They were too busy telling us the obvious.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Spang wrote:I think it took a few days before help arrived in New Orleans. The media were all over the fucking place, but they weren't helping. They were too busy telling us the obvious.
I was wrong. The Mayor did call for a mandatory evacuation. Just a bit late(easy to say in hindsight). I'm not calling for his dismissal. My apologies.

http://thinkprogress.org/katrina-timeline/ liberal slant

http://www.factcheck.org/article348.html/ conservative slant

The facts are there if you wish to look beyond the slants. Ask yourself why it was painted as badly against the republican led government right from the jump. Was it because they were mainly black and the evil Bush was president? Was the race card played right away in the face of such a tragedy? Is it possible they would use such a tragedy for political gain?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:A tragedy happened and FEMA and many others went in and helped everyone.
I'm pretty sure help didn't arrive until days later.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Spang wrote:
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:A tragedy happened and FEMA and many others went in and helped everyone.
I'm pretty sure help didn't arrive until days later.
Yeah. I heard you the first time you said this exact thing. That's why I posted a few timelines for you to read.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I'm not exerting too much effort engaging a discussion with you.

You can blame that on your reputation.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Spang wrote:I'm not exerting too much effort engaging a discussion with you.

You can blame that on your reputation.
convenient.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Not fair!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

If it doesn't X this has never been more accurate:

May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Forthe wrote:If a fraction of the people that died in New Orleans were currently dying in Cedar Rapids while the president was busy doing photo ops with birthday cakes there would be a much bigger uproar. Imagine the effect of a few pics of white bodies floating in the water would have.

Jesus fucking christ dude, how shallow are you?

It is the local governments job.. Remember, the ones that wouldn't allow the federal aid that was being offered for how long? By the time they got in a lot of the damage had been done and couldn't be helped, making the feds look like shit to dense people like yourself when really it wasn't that simple.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Funkmasterr wrote:Remember, the ones that wouldn't allow the federal aid that was being offered for how long?
That's just absolute fabrication...as are most of the rapes and violence attributed to post-Katrina New Orleans. I was there one week to the day after Katrina hit.

There are a number of huge differences in the two events. First and foremost the flooding in the midwest has been a gradual build-up all spring giving loads of time for evacuation and back-building, literally months in many cases. New Orleans flooded in about 8 hours, and after the Corps and News agencies had announced that the City was largely safe.

Second, there are essentially 3 roads out of New Orleans and a population density a few thousand times greater.

Third, The Midwest areas being flooded are highly agricultural and many folks have equipment ready at hand to assist in earth-moving, sandbagging and experience doing so. New Orleans is totally urban. They had to truck/fly in sand and equipment.

You also seem to act as if the entire populous did nothing to aid themselves. I recall lots of photos of residents helping float the elderly and infirm out through deep floodwaters.

So yeah its fair to compare the two disasters...that comparison should lead to the conclusion that the situations were extremely different.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Sylvus wrote:I agree that it's terribly stupid for anyone to live below sea-level in hurricane alley
Asshole. ><
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Arb :D
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Arborealus wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Remember, the ones that wouldn't allow the federal aid that was being offered for how long?

That's just absolute fabrication...as are most of the rapes and violence attributed to post-Katrina New Orleans. I was there one week to the day after Katrina hit.

There are a number of huge differences in the two events. First and foremost the flooding in the midwest has been a gradual build-up all spring giving loads of time for evacuation and back-building, literally months in many cases. New Orleans flooded in about 8 hours, and after the Corps and News agencies had announced that the City was largely safe.

Second, there are essentially 3 roads out of New Orleans and a population density a few thousand times greater.

Third, The Midwest areas being flooded are highly agricultural and many folks have equipment ready at hand to assist in earth-moving, sandbagging and experience doing so. New Orleans is totally urban. They had to truck/fly in sand and equipment.

You also seem to act as if the entire populous did nothing to aid themselves. I recall lots of photos of residents helping float the elderly and infirm out through deep floodwaters.

So yeah its fair to compare the two disasters...that comparison should lead to the conclusion that the situations were extremely different.
No, it's not.

Yes, there are many ways they were different, but you people can't seem to focus on the original question, and the point I've been arguing.

The midwest was better prepared? Exactly, I don't give a fuck if New Orleans is urban, it's below sea level and there are hurricanes annually, they should be better prepared than just having levees set up. I'm not interested in excuses for the people there, they hold no relevancy.

What I want addressed is the difference in attitude between the people of New Orleans and the attitudes of the people in the midwest - hell, the attitudes of people that dealt with any other disaster I can think of didn't have the shitty attitudes they did.

I forgot though, I'm talking to a bunch of people that make every excuse for people to act that way. Whatever.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

No no, you hold on there a second there, it is a fabrication, now shut up moron.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

laneela wrote:
Sylvus wrote:I agree that it's terribly stupid for anyone to live below sea-level in hurricane alley
Asshole. ><
Laneela, I respect both you and Sylvus so I'm curious why you're calling Sylvus an asshole for stating, what I would believe to be, the obvious?

Maybe substitute "stupid" for "unwise"?

EDIT: typo
- Ash
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I'm assuming it's because she lives in Miami, and my blanket statement includes her. But she knows that I don't think she's stupid!

She just has bad taste in music.

Go Blue!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I know Miami is on the coast, but I didn't think it was actually below sea level.
- Ash
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

And Florida is still better than NO because Florida has the Everglades, etc to get rid of the water. Still couldn't pay me to live there.