Media Monkey 3

Music/concert reviews and discussion

Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Media Monkey 3

Post by Winnow »

I upgraded my Media Monkey to the latest version today. It seems like a good time to mention again how great it is. If you have a large collecion of music, it's the fastest, most versatile, music manager.

Available free from here:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

I'd highly recommend getting the Zune skin as the default skin is so so but the Zune is quite nice. It can be found here:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... and_higher

Someone's making an iTouch mini player as well but here's some examples of the mini Zune:

Image ...Image

The full size Media Monkey has a new (optional) iTunes type search, normalizes audio levels, etc.

There's really a ton of features. It's easy to use but you can also get really detailed with it. Very powerful tagging features.

You can see all the things that have been added/fixed since version 2.55:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/whatsnew.txt

From the amount of fixes listed, it's obvious that they spend a lot of time making sure this app works well.

It's very fast updating the database. I only have around 5K songs atm but it indexed them quickly (even the first time) and can deal with 50K songs according to their web site.

This is the mini player iTouch version that should be out in a week or so:

Kinda cool. I like to have some sort of music window up most of the time since I have a second monitor so these are a little more pleasing to the eye than most. There are still task bar modes etc. You can set transparency levels, etc.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: Media Monkey 3

Post by miir »

I still can't find any compelling reason to use this over Itunes.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:I still can't find any compelling reason to use this over Itunes.
Not a big deal if you can't find a reason to switch but it's much faster for me and iTunes freezes up on me while downloading podcasts or music every 15 seconds or so as if it needs my entire PC's resources to write the data to my hard drive. It takes forever to load as well. I much prefer using Media Monkey as my default player as it pops right up when I'm browsing through songs in newsgroups sampling them or if I find a song on my HD and double click it. Itunes feels like an ordeal in comparison to open and close. Plus, it's damn fast in finding a song I want to listen to which leads back to my not really wanting to wait around for the more sluggish iTunes in the areas of loading, closing, searching.

I still use iTunes for grabbing audio and video podcasts but switch right back to Media Monkey afterwards. If iTunes was that great, I'd just stick with it.

It's not a "must have" app like some of the other ones I pimp around here. : )
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Does evil lyrics still work with this version?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Does evil lyrics still work with this version?

I saw a screenshot of lyrics being displayed in a window with media monkey. Hasn't it worked in the past or you? I've used evil lyrics with Media Monkey 2.55.

I just tried EvilLyrics with 3.0 and it works fine. (separate window). I reset EvilLyrics to defaults and it worked. I think I had screwed somethingup awhile back using a karaoke option in EvilLyrics. Somehow I think you can integrate the lyrics into the main application. I kind of like having a separate lyrics window though.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Winnow wrote: Someone's making an iTouch mini player as well but here's some examples of the mini Zune:

Who's the chick on the board in the background?? :)

oh yeah...media monkey...wooo!
Timmah.

Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

But does it play streaming mp3 files or will I have to keep Winamp installed for just that task?
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xouqoa wrote:But does it play streaming mp3 files or will I have to keep Winamp installed for just that task?

It has some built in streaming media options:

Is that what you meant or something else?
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Winnow wrote:
Xouqoa wrote:But does it play streaming mp3 files or will I have to keep Winamp installed for just that task?

It has some built in streaming media options:

Is that what you meant or something else?
I may check it out -- if it has a shoutcast directory, it'll probably play woxy.com.

I just remember being amazed when I found out v2.x didn't have it.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Remember to try out some other skins (Zune) linked in the first post. I Don't think the default one is the best. Not a fan of Orange!