What do you think about the world?
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Benazir Bhutto Assassinated

Post by Fash »

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 624126.ece
FORMER Pakistani leader Benazir Bhutto has been killed in a gun and bomb attack.

At least 20 people were killed when the bomber struck after opposition leader Mrs Bhutto addressed a political rally, witnesses said.

It has been reported that Mrs Bhutto was shot in the neck and the chest before the bomber blew himself up.

Wasif Ali Khan, a member of Bhutto’s party who was at Rawalpindi General hospital, said Mrs Bhutto died at 6.16pm Pakistani time (1.16pm GMT)

Babar Awan, Bhutto’s lawyer, said: “The surgeons confirmed that she has been martyred.”

A witness at the scene of the attack said he heard two shots moments before the blast.

“As party leaders, including Bhutto, started coming out a man tried to go close to them and then he fired some shots and blew himself up,” said a police officer, at the scene.

The United States condemned an attack that killed Pakistani opposition leader Benazir Bhutto, a U.S. State Department official said on Thursday.

“The attack shows that there are still those in Pakistan trying to undermine reconciliation and democratic development in Pakistan,” the official said.

Police said about 15 people had been killed in the blast.

Earlier, party officials said Bhutto was safe.

Body parts and flesh were scattered at the back gate of the Liaqat Bagh park, in Rawalpindi, where Bhutto had spoken.

Police official Abdul Karim had said Bhutto had already left the area in her vehicle when the blast went off, just minutes after her speech to thousands of supporters.

Another police official, Saud Aziz, said it was a suicide attack.
:(
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Benazir Bhutto Assassinated

Post by Nick »

Pakistan proving once again that it is one of the most retarded shitholes on the face of the planet, and the people living there really need to sort their fucking shitty little lives out.

:( :( :( :( :(
Last edited by Nick on December 28, 2007, 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

I'm finding it harder and harder to have any sympathy towards people that use violence and murder to make their point. I know that I have no clue what it's like to live in their shoes, but I can't imagine a world where it's necessary to do the things they do on a regular basis.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Normally I wouldn't give a shit but Pakistan does have the bomb and it's a pretty unstable country with India close by, also in possession of the bomb.

You can't just let them kill themselves off when there's nuclear weapons involved.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Siji wrote:I'm finding it harder and harder to have any sympathy towards people that use violence and murder to make their point. I know that I have no clue what it's like to live in their shoes, but I can't imagine a world where it's necessary to do the things they do on a regular basis.
I love you.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

In many ways, this is our fault. We pulled out of Afghanistan before really doing anything other than remove the visible Taliban government, leaving the border to Pakistan a haven for Islamic fundies.

The really shitty part is that instead of having 1/3 of our forces fighting in the country that borders Pakistan, we have all of our troops bogged down a thousand miles away.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

masteen wrote:In many ways, this is our fault. We pulled out of Afghanistan before really doing anything other than remove the visible Taliban government, leaving the border to Pakistan a haven for Islamic fundies.

The really shitty part is that instead of having 1/3 of our forces fighting in the country that borders Pakistan, we have all of our troops bogged down a thousand miles away.
LOL

Of course it's our fault. HAHA
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Well, we did arrange for her return to Pakistan from exile...
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yes, I remember where we forced her into returning. I believe we had threatened to kill her family if she didn't do it. And then it was an American who killed her in the suicide bombing. All truths I cannot refute....as much as I'd like to.
nneenaK
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by nneenaK »

I am not even going to pretend to understand their culture. Nor will I dismiss the influence that the US has had in that region and in no way can I justify this action because of US policy. With that said, Their culture is as screwed up as it can get. Politics aside, any group of people that resort to assassinations, suicide bombings and other acts of violence to silence a voice is wrong.

These people have been doing this type of thing to each other long before the US got involved. Now, they just have someone to blame. But what I really want to know is: When are they going to realize that taking someone’s life because they disagree with their ideas is not brave, it is not honorable; it is cowardly.
Tangurena
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Tangurena »

Boogahz wrote:Well, we did arrange for her return to Pakistan from exile...
We twisted Musharraf's arm to convince him to drop corruption charges against her. Not dropped were corruption court cases in England (one of the countries she sought refuge in during her exile), Switzerland and Spain. Bhutto's husband became notoriously known as "Mr Ten Percent" for his cut of all government contracts.

That being said, I believe that the prime candidate for having her killed was Perez Musharraf. Bhutto was the leading candidate running against him in the Jan 8 elections. Sharif is a distant second and he's reported getting shot at by snipers several times in the past couple of days.

Bhutto's party, PPP, says they're going to have 40 days of mourning. Which means they won't be able(?) willing(?) to propose a replacement candidate until almost a month after the elections are scheduled to occur.

I give the rumors of AlQeda intereference zero credibility. First, they've not been at odds with Bhutto, who has been out of Pakistan for 7 years. Second, they have been at odds with Musharraf and his cooperation with the US. Third, Bhutto's administration was the one that recognized the Taliban, making them one of only 3 nations in the world to officially recognize the Taliban as the "legitimate" government of Afghanistan (the other 2 nations are UAE [home of Dubai] and Saudi Arabia). 3.14159th, funding for the 911 attacks came from Pakistan, UAE and Saudi Arabia. Fourth, the only source for the claims of AlQeda involvement is Musharraf's administration.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I give the rumors of Al Qaida intereference zero credibility
Yeah, it's hard to believe the Pakistani government thinks people will buy this story of "OMGZ IT WAS THE AL QAIDAZ"

If anyone wanted her dead, it was Musharref. He at least shares a large portion of the responsibility, even for the shitty security arrangements that were in place.

This is a really really bad event to be honest. For Pakistan, and a real victory for fundamentalist fascist fuckwits everywhere. :(
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

They do love their bombs...
- Ash
eOmniz
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by eOmniz »

Considering one of the main premises of her campaign was getting rid of Al Qaeda in Pakistan, I'd say they had some motivation to off her. Not to mention the simple publicity of a high profile target.

I just can't believe everyone spouting off about what a sad thing it was that happened. Bhutto was thoroughly corrupt while she was in office, her new campaign is just appealing to what America wants to hear so she gets help getting back into power. The average Pakistani doesn't trust any of the candidates and just views it as the elites fighting over who gets to hold the controls, which it basically is.

Personally I agree that the US's support of Musharraf (even though it's tapered off somewhat since the martial law bit) is bullshit, but anyone who really thinks things were going to be a big improvement with Bhutto is naive at best.
Current Incarnations:
Flintler, EQ2, Crushbone, HOOAC
Grahmiam, WoW, Firetree, The Crazy 88