XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

RIP - Pimp C

Post by Boogahz »

http://www.tmz.com/2007/12/04/rapper-pi ... otel-room/
Rapper Pimp C Found Dead in Hollywood Hotel Room
Posted Dec 4th 2007 2:12PM by TMZ Staff
Filed under: Music, R.I.P.

Pimp C, real name Chad Butler -- and one half of the rap duo UGK, was found dead in a hotel room this morning. He was 33.

L.A. County Fire responded to a 911 call at the Mondrian Hotel, located on trendy Sunset Strip in Hollywood. They arrived to his sixth floor hotel room to find him dead in bed.

UGK is best known for appearing on the Jay-Z track "Big Pimpin'" in 2000, and more recently with Outkast on the song "International Player's Anthem (I Choose You)." Pimp C had just performed with fellow rapper Too Short at the "House of Blues" in L.A. on Saturday night.

UPDATE: Jive Records has issued the following statement regarding Pimp C's death:

"It is with great sadness that Jive Records announces the passing of Chad "Pimp C" Butler, a member of the celebrated rap duo UGK (Underground Kingz). Jive Records' President and CEO Barry Weiss states: "We mourn the unexpected loss of Chad. He was truly a thoughtful and kind-hearted person. He will be remembered for his talent and profound influence as a pioneer in bringing southern rap to the forefront. He will be missed and our prayers remain with his family and Bun B. I've known Chad since he was 18, and we loved him dearly and he was a cherished member of the Jive family."

Born in Port Arthur, Texas, Butler's father was a trumpet player who played professionally with Solomon Burke. Outside of his father, the 33-year old rapper's influences varied, ranging from Bobby Bland, Jimmy McGriff, the 1960's Motown artists to Run DMC. Butler met his inseparable partner Bernard "Bun B" Freeman in high school where they formed UGK. In 1992, the duo signed to Jive Records and went on release a total of eight albums for the label. They earned their highest achievement earlier this year when their most recent album, UGK (Underground Kingz), debuted in the number one position on the album pop chart. According to the New York Times, UGK "helped inspire a generation of Southern hip-hop stars, from OutKast to Lil Wayne."

Bun B is not available for comment at this time."
Last edited by Boogahz on December 4, 2007, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: RIP - Pimp C

Post by Aslanna »

I know like.. None of those names. Pimp C? (lol) UGK? Too Short? Sorry!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

UGK = Underground Kingz

One of the few consistently good (IMO) rap groups for the around twenty years.

Not sure how to explain Too $hort other than having more sexually charged lyrics than most at the time he was starting to get "exposure." See: Freaky Tales, Blow Job Betty, etc..
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Damn, sad to hear that. I really liked him and agree with you that him and Bun B have been pioneers and have made consistently good music for a long time now. I wonder what happened, all that time of him being in jail and everyone excited for him to come out, and this happens such a short time after..
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I burned a top 100 rap songs of the 90's mix (it's a great mix, I don't think anyone could argue it's pretty accurate for a top list) to listen to at work and "One Day" is on it, one of my all time favorite songs period, and pretty fitting for this situation. I remember in junior high when it came out my best friend and I listened to this song on repeat for like 8 hours straight.

Side not Boo: You might want to find a torrent for the New Dj Drama: Gangsta Grillz The Album ... I found one pretty easily just searching google. The reason I say so is there is a damn good new Outkast song on there, 3000 is actually rapping, not doing his goofy shit.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

sucks for anyone to die even if no cause of death was listed

not my demo though. never heard of the guy or of any of the songs that were listed in the article. you adopt a stupid alias and can pretty much write off my chance of listening to your shit
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm just making an assumption here but I won't be surprised if he died the same way DJ Screw did (from sizzurp, lean, whatever you want to call it - it's liquid codeine and promethazine - slows you down / put's you to sleep.. also isn't hard for people who have been drinking it for a long time to OD.)

I'm sure if he was alive he would be upset that you don't approve of his stage name... You must have hate most actors/actresses/musicians then, considering most of them have adopted stupid aliases as well. He was one of the best and most consistent rapper/producers from the south, but if rap isn't your thing your response doesn't surprise me.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

This song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQxFsblruE is the only "Pimp C" song I've ever heard (I just randomly youtubed him).

Wow, I really must have missed the boat on this one, thank god. These people are so horrifically generic it's ridiculous. What types of grown men actually get on like this? Pioneering? I'll take your word for it. It still sounds awful.

It's vaguely catchy in a sort of "this would fit into a crappy action movie as some background music when the protaganists (probably cops) are walking down the street in slow motion", and that's about it. Terrible music. Aural assault yo.

Boring beats, which are shite compared to the complexity of something like Thom Yorke's Eraser album or, obviously, an Aphex Twin album: lyrics that are ....well....ironic to say the least
All you record company people need to shut the FUCK UP! (shut the fuck up!)
'Cause y'all keepin up that bullshit rappin (uh!)
The white people laughin at 'em, that's was happ'nin (that's was happ'nin)
The same stupid ass niggaz s'til ain't figured it out
Long as they stay divided, man we gon' run the South! (uh!)
Y'all need to get up out the dumb shit (out the dumb shit!)
I got a bread truck, get up out that crumb shit nigga!
Way to fight the power by perpetuating the stereotype G.

Admittedly, it's going to take at least a listen to an album to make a decision, but really, after first impressions, I have little faith that this will be dross beyond a base level. (Hence I'll not waste my time).
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

To be fair nick, that is definitely not a good example of a song of his.. here are some (in case you are bored or something.)

One Day Great song, I mentioned it earlier, this is probably my favorite UGK song.

Pocket Full of Stones - this is one of their first popular songs, another good one.

International Players Anthem - This is like the southern rap pioneer song, lol- UGK (Pimp C and Bun B), Outkast, 3 6 Mafia. It's from the new UGK album.

Pourin Up - Another one of his newer songs, please do me a favor and ignore the Mike Jones verse in this song (he is the second verse) because he is the definition of a shitty rapper and I have no idea why they put him on this song.

Anyways, there are plenty of other good ones too, just thought I'd toss out a few examples.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I'm not really a fan of the southern stuff...

His rhymes aren't terrible... that's about the nicest thing I can say about it.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Funkmasterr wrote:I'm sure if he was alive he would be upset that you don't approve of his stage name...
well now he doesn't have to worry about my opinion.
You must have hate most actors/actresses/musicians then, considering most of them have adopted stupid aliases as well.
some, not most. but it's ok, you can defend the absurdity of an alias like pimp c.
He was one of the best and most consistent rapper/producers from the south, but if rap isn't your thing your response doesn't surprise me.
of course it shouldn't surprise you. it doesn't surprise me either
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:I'm not really a fan of the southern stuff...

His rhymes aren't terrible... that's about the nicest thing I can say about it.

Hey that's better than nothing! I can totally understand how southern rap wouldn't be your thing, up until recently it's been by far the least popular.

You gonna be on EQ2 tonight? I finally got the expansion, lol.. Just gotta install/patch it.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Funkmasterr wrote:You gonna be on EQ2 tonight? I finally got the expansion, lol.. Just gotta install/patch it.

Good luck with that...I still have issues with it trying to do full patches when I log in. Now I am just logging into other stuff whenever it decides to screw up.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:You must have hate most actors/actresses/musicians then, considering most of them have adopted stupid aliases as well.
Other than Prince... Who else did stupid things with their name? Just about all the examples I can think of are from the rap/hip-hop camp. The Puff Daddy/P Diddy idiot being the first one that comes to mind. And no I don't consider 'stage names' to fall into this category. In most cases they are still 'normal' just not their birthname.

Also, Prince has the musical talent to offset his weirdness.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:You must have hate most actors/actresses/musicians then, considering most of them have adopted stupid aliases as well.
Other than Prince... Who else did stupid things with their name? Just about all the examples I can think of are from the rap/hip-hop camp. The Puff Daddy/P Diddy idiot being the first one that comes to mind. And no I don't consider 'stage names' to fall into this category. In most cases they are still 'normal' just not their birthname.

Also, Prince has the musical talent to offset his weirdness.
Then we can agree to disagree, a stage name is a stage name. And in the case of rappers, many of them actually got their nicknames well before they were famous, and carried them over.. actors/other musicians just make the shit up, which in my opinion is stupid.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

If you're not too lazy today, read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stage_name
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Spang wrote:If you're not too lazy today, read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stage_name

I read it, and two things:

1- I am not sure why it seems like the only time you post is to try and annoy me, it's actually getting creepy.

2- In most cases that is bullshit, someone's name being "unattractive" is going to make zero difference to anyone with a fucking half of a brain. I don't buy into marketing techniques, I mean - I realize they work for stupid, gullible people (ie: the majority) but an actors name isn't going to get me to watch a movie, just like a commercial isn't going to get me to buy something I wasn't already planning on buying.

3- If that is your argument, then you should have also addressed your smart ass comment at them, being as their take on why people use stage names applies to the case of "Pimp C" just as much as "Michael J. Fox".

4- I think I already pretty clearly stated that in my opinion- I find it to make much more sense and be far less stupid when someone uses a nickname that was given to them by their peers long before they were famous. Actors going under a different name because it will sound better is kind of equivalent to people here running their mouths even though they are puny little nerds in real life.

That cover it?

Way to derail a thread about someone who died. I'll make sure to be a complete dick and derail the next thread someone makes about some idiot rock singer or actor that I'm not interested in.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Funkmasterr wrote:2- In most cases that is bullshit, someone's name being "unattractive" is going to make zero difference to anyone with a fucking half of a brain. I don't buy into marketing techniques, I mean - I realize they work for stupid, gullible people (ie: the majority) but an actors name isn't going to get me to watch a movie, just like a commercial isn't going to get me to buy something I wasn't already planning on buying.
This is actually a lot more prevalent than you might think. Plus, in reference to actors, the Guild laws are very strict. Also, you won't act if you aren't a member of the Guild. If the Guild says your name cannot be X, your name cannot be X if you want to act.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

That's ridiculous. Sounds like a union to me, and we all know how I feel about those.

I think it should be like in Team America, FAG instead of SAG.. much more fitting.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Funkmasterr wrote:That's ridiculous. Sounds like a union to me, and we all know how I feel about those.

I think it should be like in Team America, FAG instead of SAG.. much more fitting.
I think the Guilds are worse than Unions personally. One of many reasons why I left my path into Theatre.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:That's ridiculous. Sounds like a union to me, and we all know how I feel about those.

I think the Guilds are worse than Unions personally. One of many reasons why I left my path into Theatre.

That's too bad, if that's the case it sounds like they are a major contributing role to why everything in the media industry has gone down the toilet, which I was never aware of.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Funkmasterr wrote: it's actually getting creepy.
Further "I'm the centre of the universe and I have stalkers" bullshit. Keep it in CE and stop flattering yourself.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Nick wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote: it's actually getting creepy.
Further "I'm the centre of the universe and I have stalkers" bullshit. Keep it in CE and stop flattering yourself.

Dude you can't be that dumb, I refuse to believe it. Take a look at spang's post history, I can almost assure you that of the last 50 posts he has made, at least 25 of them have been some stupid one liner aimed at me, I can almost gauruntee that without even checking.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Just ignore me.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Funkmasterr wrote: Dude you can't be that dumb, I refuse to believe it.
Oh waaa waaa stop calling me names stalker.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Spang wrote:Just ignore me.
Done, and done(Nick). Now I can post without having to listen to the third grade bullshit responses the four of you on my ignore list have to nearly everything I say - it's like taking a load off my back actually, thanks for the great suggestion!

Now you can all say all the shit you want about me, not that I'll see it - but I've got a feeling you all like to hear yourselves talk, so everyone wins!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Unfortunately, I was right.

Cough syrup cited in rapper Pimp C's death
Rap artist Pimp C, an influential hip-hop figure who had recorded an ode to getting high from cough medicine, died accidentally at a Sunset Strip hotel because of the combination of a medical condition and cough syrup, the Los Angeles County coroner said Monday.

The 33-year-old Pimp C, whose real name was Chad Butler, was found lying on his bed at the Mondrian Hotel in West Hollywood on Dec. 4 after he failed to check out as expected. The coroner's report said the death was "due to promethazine/codeine effects and other unestablished factors."
Him and DJ Screw that I know of now..
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

That really sucks he died. I still listen to their latest album a great deal and love it.

Pretty ironic that he died off one of their hit songs though. =/

(Sippin' on some Syrup, before you give up!)
Fuck Michigan!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah he talked about it in a ton of his music, all those texas rappers do. I liked his newest single "pourin up" a lot.. and that is precisely what the song was about "smokin out, pourin up, keepin lean up in my cup".. Stupid fucking way to go, but it still sucks.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Yeah, it took them long enough to figure it out too!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

wtf.. all these responses and not a single Midnyte post saying how he deserved to die?

this thread sucks.