Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Queens of the Stone Age, Amazon.com and UPC's

Post by Funkmasterr »

So, Guitar Hero and Rock band have made me want to buy some Queens of the Stone Age music. Since Demonoid.com is gone and I don't want to pay for newsgroups stuff yet, I am actually thinking about buying a couple of them.

I was looking for them on amazon.com and almost every one listed has in the notes that there is a hole cut through the jewel case and the UPC is gone. I have bought a fair amount of cd's from amazon.com in the past and I've never had the UPC (let alone the jewel case around it) be cut out. I just have no clue what the hell all these warehouses would want with a queens of the stone age UPC.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Re: Queens of the Stone Age, Amazon.com and UPC's

Post by Fash »

gomusic.ru

i've heard of the cd hole punch before, but i thought it was for demo discs so they couldn't be returned/re-sold.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Yeah they are ones they send to staff, radio stations and stores for in store play so they cannot be resold as inventory.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Clipped cases and no UPC are promo discs. As mentioned, they are the discs that are won when radio stations give them out as prizes. They are also sent to distributors to help influence them into purchasing more of the CD's to sell in their stores and such. There generally is nothing wrong with them, but you ARE buying a used CD from someone online...

Some of the promo discs are pretty sweet. I received a copy of Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies, and they had plastic flies in the enclosed area on the right side of the case, heh
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Yeah, some are cool. I have some limited edition collection discs the labels only gave out from back in my college days when I managed a Music + store.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Get songs for the deaf and rated R if you want QOTSA before they got shit.

(I still bought a ticket to see them in Belfast in February) :D
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Nick wrote:Get songs for the deaf and rated R if you want QOTSA before they got shit.

(I still bought a ticket to see them in Belfast in February) :D
I was going to get those two and also era vulgaris, because it has 3's and 7's and I really like that song. Is the rest of that cd crappy? If so I'll just find that song somewhere.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

After Nick Oliveri was kicked out Josh Homme was left having to rip off an old Pearl Jam riff in almost every song he ever made.

Which is a shame. Because QOTSA were amazing and Josh Homme is pretty cool. He's just become horrendously samey since he kicked Oliveri out (which was the most retarded musical move he ever made).
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Nick wrote:After Nick Oliveri was kicked out Josh Homme was left having to rip off an old Pearl Jam riff in almost every song he ever made.

Which is a shame. Because QOTSA were amazing and Josh Homme is pretty cool. He's just become horrendously samey since he kicked Oliveri out (which was the most retarded musical move he ever made).
So I guess that means the rest of the cd is no good? :)
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Nick wrote:After Nick Oliveri was kicked out Josh Homme was left having to rip off an old Pearl Jam riff in almost every song he ever made.

The first album (self-titled) is awesome but damn near impossible to find in a store. Rated R is good, and Songs for the Deaf kicks ass. Lullabies to Paralyze originally didn't impress, but it's grown on me a lot. Era Vulgaris, however, is terrible. 3's and 7's, River in the Road, and Into the Hollow (sounds like something left over from Lullabies, honestly) are decent tracks, but the rest is pretty much shit. How anyone can call Sick, Sick, Sick music is beyond me. The title track was ok, but it was released separately via internets. Era Vulgaris was the biggest musical let-down of 2007 =(.

Basically, QotSA, R, and Songs for the Deaf are three awesome albums. Lullabies is decent. Era Vulgaris sucks. If you want to buy some albums, that's awesome, do it. But I really cannot advise anyone to even consider paying for Era Vulgaris. If you want to listen to 3's and 7's just search for Era Vulgaris on any shared file search. Searchshared.com for example.

Also, I think Nick has probably mentioned them at one point or another, but if you like QotSA, give Kyuss a listen (Homme played guitar for them prior to Queens).
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Drinsic Darkwood wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:

The first album (self-titled) is awesome but damn near impossible to find in a store. Rated R is good, and Songs for the Deaf kicks ass. Lullabies to Paralyze originally didn't impress, but it's grown on me a lot. Era Vulgaris, however, is terrible. 3's and 7's, River in the Road, and Into the Hollow (sounds like something left over from Lullabies, honestly) are decent tracks, but the rest is pretty much shit. How anyone can call Sick, Sick, Sick music is beyond me. The title track was ok, but it was released separately via internets. Era Vulgaris was the biggest musical let-down of 2007 =(.

Basically, QotSA, R, and Songs for the Deaf are three awesome albums. Lullabies is decent. Era Vulgaris sucks. If you want to buy some albums, that's awesome, do it. But I really cannot advise anyone to even consider paying for Era Vulgaris. If you want to listen to 3's and 7's just search for Era Vulgaris on any shared file search. Searchshared.com for example.

Also, I think Nick has probably mentioned them at one point or another, but if you like QotSA, give Kyuss a listen (Homme played guitar for them prior to Queens).
Thanks, I'll check them out as well! I also have "maps" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs stuck in my head, I've listened to it on youtube about 10 times today to try and get it out of my head but it just made it worse :(
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Is that one of their better songs? I liked the guitar but thought the vocals were terrible.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Drinsic Darkwood wrote:The first album (self-titled) is awesome but damn near impossible to find in a store. Rated R is good, and Songs for the Deaf kicks ass. Lullabies to Paralyze originally didn't impress, but it's grown on me a lot. Era Vulgaris, however, is terrible. 3's and 7's, River in the Road, and Into the Hollow (sounds like something left over from Lullabies, honestly) are decent tracks, but the rest is pretty much shit. How anyone can call Sick, Sick, Sick music is beyond me. The title track was ok, but it was released separately via internets. Era Vulgaris was the biggest musical let-down of 2007 =(.

Interesting. I don't hate Era Vulgaris. It's certainly my least favorite of their albums, but I think that speaks more to the strength of the first three than the weakness of EV. Perhaps it's just me.

I love QotSA. Josh Homme is awesome.

/edit: What QotSA songs are in Guitar Hero?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:
Drinsic Darkwood wrote:The first album (self-titled) is awesome but damn near impossible to find in a store. Rated R is good, and Songs for the Deaf kicks ass. Lullabies to Paralyze originally didn't impress, but it's grown on me a lot. Era Vulgaris, however, is terrible. 3's and 7's, River in the Road, and Into the Hollow (sounds like something left over from Lullabies, honestly) are decent tracks, but the rest is pretty much shit. How anyone can call Sick, Sick, Sick music is beyond me. The title track was ok, but it was released separately via internets. Era Vulgaris was the biggest musical let-down of 2007 =(.

Interesting. I don't hate Era Vulgaris. It's certainly my least favorite of their albums, but I think that speaks more to the strength of the first three than the weakness of EV. Perhaps it's just me.

I love QotSA. Josh Homme is awesome.

/edit: What QotSA songs are in Guitar Hero?
3's & 7's, Go with the Flow, Little Sister and Sick Sick Sick appear in either Rock Band or Guitar Hero (or both.) I think actually in GH3 only 3's & 7's, the rest are in Rock Band.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Ahh, there are a lot of great songs you probably haven't heard then. If I had to pick one album, I'd probably go with Songs for the Deaf. Followed by QotSA and then Rated R.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:Ahh, there are a lot of great songs you probably haven't heard then. If I had to pick one album, I'd probably go with Songs for the Deaf. Followed by QotSA and then Rated R.

Yeah I think I will grab those three, can get them for like 3 or 4 dollars each on amazon. I would like to add that I think the music video for No One Knows is hilarious, and it is the only rock song that my Jamaican friend has ever admitted to liking.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Just to add, Dave Grohl plays drums on Songs for the Deaf, which I also think is a great album.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Is that one of their better songs? I liked the guitar but thought the vocals were terrible.
Nope it's not one of their "better" songs, but I think the instrumentals alone make it worth a listen.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Funkmasterr wrote:Is that one of their better songs? I liked the guitar but thought the vocals were terrible.
That's QotSA actually, not Kyuss. It was on the Kyuss/Queens of the Stone Age split. Anyway, try Demon Cleaner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkN1bBVz9Fw
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Good call on the Kyuss Drinsic :)

Demon Cleaner is absolutely fantastic and the cover version by Tool is worth a listen as well. I never really loved the Kyuss vocals but thats not really the point of them, its more about the rocking guitars :P
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Nick wrote:(I still bought a ticket to see them in Belfast in February) :D
I have seen them quite a few times and they have never disappointed. I think you will love the show dispite your oppinion of anything new from them.

Songs for the Deaf for the win!