What do you think about the world?
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Dem debate seemingly all about Hillary

Post by Fash »

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071031/D8SK5GBG0.html
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Democrats Barack Obama and John Edwards sharply challenged Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's candor, consistency and judgment Tuesday in a televised debate that underscored her front-runner status two months before the first presidential primary votes.

Obama, the Illinois senator, began immediately, saying Clinton has changed her positions on the North American Free Trade Agreement, torture policies and the Iraq war. Leadership, he said, does not mean "changing positions whenever it's politically convenient."

Edwards, the former North Carolina senator, was even sharper at times, saying Clinton "defends a broken system that's corrupt in Washington, D.C." He stood by his earlier claim that she has engaged in "doubletalk."

Clinton, standing between the two men, largely shrugged off the remarks and defended her positions. She has been the focus of Republican candidates'"conversations and consternation," she said, because she is leading in the polls.

She said she has specific plans on Social Security, diplomacy and health care. "I have been standing against the Republicans, George Bush and Dick Cheney," she said, "and I will continue to do so, and I think Democrats know that."

But she avoided direct answers to several questions. The New York senator wouldn't say how she would address the fiscal crisis threatening Social Security, she declined to pledge whether she would stop Iran from developing a nuclear weapon or say whether she supports giving driver's licenses to illegal immigrants. Rather, she tried to turn every issue into an argument against President Bush.

It was the Democrats' first debate in a month, and during that time Clinton has solidified her front-runner position, gaining in polls, taking the lead in fundraising and dominating the agenda. The Iowa caucuses are scheduled for Jan. 3, and the New Hampshire primary could be even earlier.

Clinton defended her Senate vote in favor of designating Iran's Revolutionary Guard as a terrorist group. Obama, Edwards and others have said Bush could interpret the measure as congressional approval for a military attack.

Edwards caustically challenged Clinton's claim that she stands up to the Bush administration. "So the way to do that is to vote yes on a resolution that looks like it was written literally by the neocons?" he said.

"In my view, rushing to war - we should not be doing that - but we shouldn't be doing nothing," Clinton said. "And that means we should not let them acquire nuclear weapons, and the best way to prevent that is a full court press on the diplomatic front."

Clinton also was the main focus during a discussion of the Iraq war. Again, Edwards leveled the toughest charges against the New York senator.

"If you believe that combat missions should be continued in Iraq" without a timetable for withdrawal, Edwards said, "then Senator Clinton is your candidate." Edwards vowed to have all combat troops out of Iraq "in my first year in office."

Clinton replied forcefully, saying "I stand for ending the war in Iraq, bringing our troops home." She added, however, that "it is going to take time," and some troops must remain to fight al-Qaida in Iraq.

"I don't know how you pursue al-Qaida without engaging them in combat," she said.

Edwards, drawing a link between Iraq and Iran, pressed on. "What I worry about is, if Bush invades Iran six months from now, I mean, are we going to hear: 'If only I had known then what I know now?'" He was alluding to comments Clinton has made about her 2002 vote to authorize military action against Saddam Hussein.

Some candidates expressed frustration that most of the questions were directed to Clinton, Obama and Edwards. Seventeen minutes into the debate, Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich had yet to get a question and blurted out, "Is this a debate here?" Minutes later, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson threw up his hands in protest that he hadn't been called on either and exchanged a frustrated glance with Kucinich.

Obama, alluding to the partisanship that bedeviled Bill Clinton's presidency, told the former first lady: "Part of the reason that Republicans, I think, are obsessed with you, Hillary, is because that's a fight they're very comfortable having. It is the fight that we've been through since the '90s."

Richardson criticized his rivals for challenging Clinton so sharply, rebuking their "holier-than-thou attitude."

But Edwards and Dodd cited Clinton's relatively high unfavorability ratings.

"Fifty percent of the American public say they're not going to vote for her," Dodd said.

On Social Security, moderator Tim Russert of NBC News asked Clinton why she told an Iowa voter, in an offstage comment overheard by an Associated Press reporter, that she was open to raising the cap on payroll taxes when the proposal is not part of her platform.

Clinton said she did not have a "private position" on Social Security. She would convene a bipartisan commission to recommend ways to strengthen the program, she said, and all the well-known suggestions "would be considered."

Only briefly did the candidates aim their remarks at Republicans. Delaware Sen. Joe Biden said former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani "is genuinely not qualified to be president."

Giuliani's entire message is "a noun, a verb and 9/11," Biden said, but that he had "done nothing" to implement anti-terrorism recommendations by the 9/11 Commission.

Edwards, meanwhile, felt at least one jab. Kucinich, alluding to Edwards' past financial dealings, said: "When people get money from New York hedge funds and then they attack another person for getting money from Washington interest groups, you know what? They're both right."

Clinton said a New York state proposal to give drivers' licenses to illegal immigrants "makes a lot of sense," but she stopped short of a wholehearted endorsement. Only Dodd said he flatly opposed the idea.

In the debate's lightest moment, Kucinich confirmed seeing an unidentified flying object at the Washington state home of actress Shirley MacLaine. He said, with a smile, he would open a campaign office in Roswell, N.M., home to many alleged UFO sightings.

Obama said he would accompany his daughters in trick-or-treating on Halloween while wearing a Mitt Romney mask, which has "two sides to it, it goes in both directions."

The debate, held at Drexel University, was aired by MSNBC. Organizers excluded former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel on grounds that he did not meet fundraising and polling thresholds.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1007/6634.html
PHILADELPHIA - - We now know something that we did not know before: When Hillary Clinton has a bad night, she really has a bad night.

In a debate against six Democratic opponents at Drexel University here Tuesday, Clinton gave the worst performance of her entire campaign.

It was not just that her answer about whether illegal immigrants should be issued drivers’ licenses was at best incomprehensible and at worst misleading.

It was that for two hours she dodged and weaved, parsed and stonewalled.

And when it was over, both the Barack Obama and John Edwards campaigns signaled that in the weeks ahead they intend to hammer home a simple message: Hillary Clinton does not say what she means or mean what she says.

And she gave them plenty of ammunition Tuesday night.

Asked whether she still agrees with New York Governor Eliot Spitzer’s plan to give drivers licenses to illegal immigrants, Clinton launched into a long, complicated defense of it.

But when Chris Dodd attacked the idea a moment later, Clinton quickly said: “I did not say that it should be done.”

NBC’s Tim Russert, one of the debate moderators, jumped in and said to her: “You told (a) New Hampshire paper that it made a lot of sense. Do you support his plan?”

”You know, Tim,” Clinton replied, “this is where everybody plays ‘gotcha.’ ”

John Edwards immediately went for the jugular. “Unless I missed something,” he said, “Senator Clinton said two different things in the course of about two minutes. America is looking for a president who will say the same thing, who will be consistent, who will be straight with them.”

Barack Obama added: “I was confused (by) Senator Clinton's answer. I can't tell whether she was for it or against it. One of the things that we have to do in this country is to be honest about the challenges that we face.”

Earlier, when Clinton was asked whether she had made one statement on Social Security publicly and a conflicting answer privately, she ducked the question, saying she believed in “fiscal responsibility.”

And when Russert asked her if she would make public certain communications between herself and President Clinton when she was first lady, she responded weakly: “Well, that’s not my decision to make.”

Perhaps just as bad was her general tone and demeanor. All of her opponents seemed passionate about one issue or another. But Clinton seemed largely emotionless and detached, often just mouthing rehearsed answers from her briefing book.

True, she was relentlessly attacked all night. But she can’t claim that she was stabbed in the back. She was stabbed in the front.

“Who is honest? Who is sincere? Who has integrity?” Edwards asked and then provided the answer: Not Hillary.

“She has not been truthful and clear,” Obama said at one point.

Hillary Clinton will certainly live to fight another day. She still has a huge lead in the national polls, a good staff and a ton of money.

But, in the past, Clinton could always depend on her opponents to lose these debates. All she had to do was stay above the fray to win.

Those days seem to be over.
I wish I watched this... I don't know if attacking her so vigorously is the best approach, though, what do you think?

When I recently put my hat in the ring for a high level position at work, I made it a point not to attack any of the other candidates and focus instead on why I was a good choice and what I would do. Does that mean I'm a nice guy, or am I just the guy who didn't get the position :o

This is great.. Kucinich admits to seeing a UFO, Richardson says the Gov't hasn't 'come clean' on Roswell, and Obama intelligently brings the conversation back to Earth. :lol:
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Dem debate seemingly all about Hillary

Post by Fash »

Campaign call reveals Clinton debate concern
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/cam ... 11-01.html
Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton’s (D-N.Y.) top advisers, doing damage control after the candidate’s debate performance Tuesday, told supporters on a conference call Wednesday that the campaign needed more money to fight back.

Mark Penn, Clinton’s senior strategist and pollster, and Jonathan Mantz, the campaign’s finance director, told the supporters on the call, which The Hill listened to in its entirety, that they expect attacks from Clinton’s rivals to continue, and she will need the financial resources to deflect their attacks.

Clinton came under withering assault in the Philadelphia debate, and some supporters on the call agreed with analysts that she stumbled.

“I wouldn’t say she lost her cool,” one caller said. “But I would say she lost her footing.”

The caller addded that Clinton’s response to questions about records from her time in the White House that have been sealed by the National Archives “made me roll my eyes.”

The criticisms followed Penn’s assertion that Clinton was “unflappable.” He also said criticisms from Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) and former Sen. John Edwards (D-N.C.) would backfire and that he was already “detecting some backlash,” particularly among female voters.

Those female voters are saying, “Sen. Clinton needs our support now more than ever if we’re going to see this six-on-one to try to bring her down,” Penn told those on the campaign call.

He, Mantz and several supporters hinted repeatedly on the call that Clinton was unfairly targeted by Tim Russert, debate moderator and host of NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“Russert made it appear that President Clinton had done something new or unusual,” Penn said, before adding that it “is, in fact, an extremely confusing situation … I think there will be further clarification.”

“I hope so,” a female caller responded. “To me, it was the most uncomfortable part of the debate.”

Penn turned again to Russert. “The other candidates were asked questions like, ‘Is there life in outer space?’ ”

The object of the call, and a follow-up breakfast Thursday morning with campaign chairman and former chairman of the Democratic National Committee (DNC) Terry McAuliffe, was apparently to stop whatever bleeding the senator might have sustained during a debate in which Clinton wore a bull’s-eye on her back throughout the evening.

Penn and Mantz said “a new phase” in the campaign had begun with about 65 days to go before the Iowa caucuses. They expect Obama and Edwards to go “negative on TV, and we’re going to need the resources to fight that front.”

While one supporter voiced his concern that the Clinton campaign is not devoting enough money and staff to Iowa, lagging behind Obama, most supporters who commented on the call expressed their displeasure with what they saw as the moderators’ focus on Clinton.

One caller from Oklahoma City said that “the questions … were designed to incite a brawl,” and that Russert’s and Brian Williams’s moderating was “an abdication of journalistic responsibility.”

Another said Russert “should be shot,” before quickly adding that she shouldn’t say that on a conference call.

Penn and Mantz said they were hearing a lot of the same sentiment from other supporters, but they do not plan to engage the media or the debate’s moderators.

“We’re not challenging the media on that, but the sentiment you’ve expressed is obviously one I’ve heard,” Penn said.

Penn added that he conducted polling before and after the debate — a focus group, perhaps — that saw Clinton as the winner. Sen. Joseph Biden (Del.) “had a good night” and John Edwards “did better,” Penn said, though he added Edwards’s numbers have been going down. “Obama did not have a particularly good night,” Penn said.

Those results diverge sharply from the assessment of most analysts who watched the debate, and thought Clinton did poorly. Her campaign appeared to be in full damage-control mode Wednesday.

It received a big boost at midday when Clinton received the coveted endorsement of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME).

Gerald McEntee, AFSCME’s president, mentioned the debate during his endorsement speech, and took Penn’s and Mantz’s view of the results.

“Some of you may have seen last night’s debate,” McEntee said. “Six guys against Hillary, and I’d call that a fair fight. This is a strong woman.”

Obama and Edwards continued their assault throughout the day, trying to capitalize on the first chink in Clinton’s armor that they have seen in months.

In a memo from the Obama campaign, spokesman Bill Burton said Clinton “offered more of the same Washington political calculation and evasion that won’t bring the change America needs.”

“The ‘politics of hope’ doesn’t mean hoping you don’t have to answer tough questions,” Burton wrote.

Burton wrote that Clinton dodged questions on Social Security, Iran and the National Archives issue. And on one of the more talked-about moments from the end of the debate, Clinton’s position on a move by New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer (D) to grant driver’s licenses to illegal aliens, Burton said, “Twelve hours after the debate ended, the American people are still waiting for an answer on Sen. Clinton’s position … She didn’t answer the question in the debate and her campaign couldn’t answer it afterwards.”

In Wednesday’s conference call, Penn said Clinton “clarified that she does support governors like Gov. Spitzer” who are faced with the issue because of the federal government’s failure to offer comprehensive immigration reform.

The Edwards campaign, apparently referring to the AFSCME endorsement, said Clinton was “trying to change the subject after losing a debate.”

Clinton drew fire throughout the day from the Republican National Committee, which sent around a compilation of negative press releases from state Republican parties in Texas, Florida, Georgia and California.

Two conservative bloggers filed a complaint with the FEC charging that Clinton had engaged in questionable, and possibly illegal, fundraising practices.

The Clinton campaign released a video Wednesday, entitled “The Politics of Pile On,” showing clips of the senator’s rivals going after her by name during the debate.

The senator did not appear ready to surrender Wednesday, though. When accepting the AFSCME endorsement, Clinton handed McEntee a pair of boxing gloves.

“When it comes to fighting for America’s working families, I’ll go 10 rounds with anybody,” she said.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Hillary can take anything that anyone can dish out. She's one of the very best politicians I'm likely to see in my lifetime.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

you can watch the entire debate here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18296908/

scroll down about half way on the page and it says "Watch all debates" click on the oct. 30th debate. It was decent debate until the last 15 minutes or so where it became really awesome. Finally, Hillary's true flip-flopping pandering colors shined through. I'm a pretty hard core liberal but I can't stand that two-faced whore. I call her Count Cuntula.
Last edited by Xyun on November 1, 2007, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Hillary can take anything that anyone can dish out. She's one of the very best politicians I'm likely to see in my lifetime.
Could you set your sights any lower?
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Fash wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:Hillary can take anything that anyone can dish out. She's one of the very best politicians I'm likely to see in my lifetime.
Could you set your sights any lower?
I could've voted for Bush.
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

Kerry was the true flip-flopper. Hillary takes it to the next level when asked to choose one or the other and her answer is just "Yes".
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Are we going to have to put up with this moronic "flip flopper" term becoming fashionable again?
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Nick wrote:Are we going to have to put up with this moronic "flip flopper" term becoming fashionable again?
If it's true....why not? Does it bother you that much that people speak about the obvious?
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

All sides are "flip floppers", its called changing your mind, and isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's a moronic phrase.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Totally agree. It became (and still is) a remarkably retarded catchphrase (re: on both sides of the aisle).
en kærlighed småkager
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

I used to think it was ok, but now I think flip-flopping is for weak pieces of shit who've got no backbone.
VariaVespasa
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by VariaVespasa »

Nick wrote:All sides are "flip floppers", its called changing your mind, and isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's a moronic phrase.
Changing your mind is fine, got not problem with that. But not being willing to say which side your mind is on at any given moment IS a problem. As is changing your mind every 2 minutes according to what you think people want to hear. Thats the issue here.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

VariaVespasa wrote:
Nick wrote:All sides are "flip floppers", its called changing your mind, and isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's a moronic phrase.
Changing your mind is fine, got not problem with that. But not being willing to say which side your mind is on at any given moment IS a problem. As is changing your mind every 2 minutes according to what you think people want to hear. Thats the issue here.
Exactly.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

VariaVespasa wrote:
Correct. Hence, the catchphrase. :D Very rarely do politicians listen to each other (or the public) enough to change their point of view (honestly).

So, not disagreeing with the definition, just the catchphrase itself, as I do not like them. ;)
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hillary is a cockmunch.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:Hillary is a cockmunch.
I believe you meant carpetmunch.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:
Winnow wrote:Hillary is a cockmunch.
I believe you meant carpetmunch.
Bill doesn't shave?
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

The reality is that Hillary Clinton is a fucking hack who has no chance of being President. Even if she did by some miracle become the next President it would ultimately just be an outright disgrace to the USA's supposed ideals anyway (the ones you like to carry and base your arguments on - despite them these days having increasingly less relevance or legitimacy in relation to reality). However more than likely she won't win the election.

Worryingly, the fact that the Dems seem to moronically think she is the best choice for President of the United States of America means nothing more than the fact that the Dems are in a seriously messed up frame of mind; messed up in so far as they are obviously completely fucking retarded. The reality, as everyone with a brain knows, is that the Dems would/could easily win the election hands down if they nominated anyone at all other than this silly bitch.

When the Republican candidates for 2008 are so absolutely fucking laughably moronic in absolutely every degree, most of all that fuckhead of a man Guiliani, the Dems really do deserve to lose if they end up choosing Hillary Clinton. Still, the American people choosing a Republican, especially a Republican out of this current pathetic lineup, is substantially more retarded even than the Dems. I guess it's pretty unfortunate that the lowest common denominator decides these things: Idiots.

This is painful to say, for someone who so deeply wishes to see the USA be less stupid. You would be well advised to not vote for a Republican, lest you wish the world to view your nation as a country full of fucking idiots. At the end of the day, despite Clinton's idiocy, she is still much less of a fucking moron than Guiliani (although not by much), not that that would actually be hard (in fact it would be impossible). Nevertheless, Someone like Biden or Obama are obvious choices, yet we all know this won't happen. Logic, rationality and common sense seem to have little relevance in American politics. How free you all are. :roll:

Every candidate on both sides is a shill, flip flopper (Are you reading this Midnyte you stupid fuckhead?) and asshole, but at this point, from a world perspective, a Republican President is pretty much an unadulterated admittance by the USA that its citizens dont view their luxury as the worlds sole superpower with any great respect or seriousness, and you would all do well to be more than painfully aware that you are going to be treated accordingly in regards to your choices in coming years, which, frankly, makes it that much worse that the Dem's main candidate seems to be this fucking moron (Clinton).

It is a shame, especially since if any nation could have made things cool, it would have been the USA. I guess we will find out if the US' irreversible decline is well and truly under way by early 2009.

Make the fucking change assholes, we're relying on you. :roll:
Warheart
No Stars!

Post by Warheart »

And what do you have to say about Ron Paul, omniscient one?

I'm sure he's a kook with the best voting record in congress... right?
Like Cancer, I usually come back.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Nick wrote:The reality is that Hillary Clinton is a fucking hack who has no chance of being President. Even if she did by some miracle become the next President it would ultimately just be an outright disgrace to the USA's supposed ideals anyway (the ones you like to carry and base your arguments on - despite them these days having increasingly less relevance or legitimacy in relation to reality). However more than likely she won't win the election.

Worryingly, the fact that the Dems seem to moronically think she is the best choice for President of the United States of America means nothing more than the fact that the Dems are in a seriously messed up frame of mind; messed up in so far as they are obviously completely fucking retarded. The reality, as everyone with a brain knows, is that the Dems would/could easily win the election hands down if they nominated anyone at all other than this silly bitch.

When the Republican candidates for 2008 are so absolutely fucking laughably moronic in absolutely every degree, most of all that fuckhead of a man Guiliani, the Dems really do deserve to lose if they end up choosing Hillary Clinton. Still, the American people choosing a Republican, especially a Republican out of this current pathetic lineup, is substantially more retarded even than the Dems. I guess it's pretty unfortunate that the lowest common denominator decides these things: Idiots.

This is painful to say, for someone who so deeply wishes to see the USA be less stupid. You would be well advised to not vote for a Republican, lest you wish the world to view your nation as a country full of fucking idiots. At the end of the day, despite Clinton's idiocy, she is still much less of a fucking moron than Guiliani (although not by much), not that that would actually be hard (in fact it would be impossible). Nevertheless, Someone like Biden or Obama are obvious choices, yet we all know this won't happen. Logic, rationality and common sense seem to have little relevance in American politics. How free you all are. :roll:

Every candidate on both sides is a shill, flip flopper (Are you reading this Midnyte you stupid fuckhead?) and asshole, but at this point, from a world perspective, a Republican President is pretty much an unadulterated admittance by the USA that its citizens dont view their luxury as the worlds sole superpower with any great respect or seriousness, and you would all do well to be more than painfully aware that you are going to be treated accordingly in regards to your choices in coming years, which, frankly, makes it that much worse that the Dem's main candidate seems to be this fucking moron (Clinton).

It is a shame, especially since if any nation could have made things cool, it would have been the USA. I guess we will find out if the US' irreversible decline is well and truly under way by early 2009.

Make the fucking change assholes, we're relying on you. :roll:
Voting a democrat into office isn't going to change a damn thing. Likewise, voting in a repbulican won't have much of an effect either. We, the American people, have to get rid of the two-party system. I don't think anything will change until that happens.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Nick wrote: Make the fucking change assholes, we're relying on you. :roll:
Worry about Ireland.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Ireland's doing fine for itself.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Nick wrote:Ireland's doing fine for itself.
So are we.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

You have a pretty low definition for "fine".
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

http://www.abcnews.go.com/print?id=3825609
Clinton Papers Won't Be Released Until After Election
Diane Blair Papers Detailing 1992 Clinton Campaign Won't Be Released Until 2009
Nov. 6, 2007 —

Democratic frontrunner Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., has been taking heat from her Democratic and Republican opponents for the reams of papers detailing her various activities as First Lady that the National Archives has yet to release from the William Jefferson Clinton Presidential Library.

And now questions are being raised about why another set of papers relevant to her political career at yet another Arkansas library will not be available to the public until well after election day 2008, despite earlier indications that the papers would have been released by now.

Those papers were written by Diane Blair, a close friend of Bill and Hillary Clinton, who taught and engaged in Arkansas politics until her death due to lung cancer in 2000.

As a trusted friend during then-Gov. Bill Clinton's successful presidential run in 1992, Blair was permitted to extensively interview 126 senior and junior Clinton campaign aides, which resulted in four enormous binders full of information.

The information was to be published in a book that Blair, a historian and author, ultimately never wrote.

Only two copies of the Blair Report were ever made; one was given to the Clintons, the other remained in Blair's custody until after her death, whereupon the books were given to the University of Arkansas Library.

Last month the University of Arkansas announced that the Blair Papers would not be made public until 2009. Andrea Cantrell, the head of research services at the university library's Special Collections, told reporters that the Papers were not yet processed.

But that claim seems questionable, according to statements the Library itself has made obtained by ABC News.

In its 2005-2006 University Libraries annual report, for example, the University of Arkansas reported that the process was almost done. "Archivists were hired to process both the Diane Blair Papers and the records of former third district Congressman Asa Hutchinson, and both collections are nearing completion."

Moreover, while in November 2005 the University appointed Kerry Jones the "Diane Blair Papers Archivist," the University Of Arkansas Library Newsletter one year later, in 2006, implied the job has been completed, describing Jones as having "previously processed the papers of the late Diane Blair."

Jones was desribed as taking on a new task, as part of the Special Collections Department team "gearing up to begin processing its largest manuscript collection, the papers of former U. S. Congressman John Paul Hammerschmidt."

A representative of the University of Arkansas Special Collections could not be reached for comment.

A spokesman for Clinton's Senate office, Philippe Reines, told ABC News that no one from Clinton's Senate office, her campaign, or from the office of former President Clinton have had any contact with the University of Arkansas about delaying the release of the Diane Blair papers.

The library newsletter indicated that two years ago Jones had extra help in processing the papers.

"Visitors to the Library's Special Collections Department might notice two students working diligently processing the papers of the late Professor Diane Blair," wrote the University Of Arkansas Library Newsletter in 2005. "These students are the first two Diane Blair Interns appointed by the University Honors College in a collaborative venture with the University Libraries."

Intern Lindley Carruth Shedd "commented that she finds her work in the Blair papers fascinating, and she believes the Blair collection "will be a great resource to those who want to study women's issues, state politics, or Bill and Hillary Clinton."

Two biographies of Clinton released this year and criticized by the Clinton campaign -- Jeff Gerth and Don Van Natta Jr.'s "Her Way" and Carl Bernstein's "A Woman In Charge" -- reported on the Blair papers as a treasure trove of information about the 1992 Clinton campaign.

Blair's "questions, based on extensive preparation," wrote Gerth and Van Natta, elicited candid remarks from aides who trusted her. She chronicled the highs and lows of a dogged campaign and quickly generated a mountain of insightful information. In the end, she compiled her lengthy report -- the introduction alone numbered thirty pages -- into 'big bound volumes.'" Bernstein was able to interview Blair before her death and see the papers.

Despite Clinton's suggestions that she would support a more transparent government as President, Newsweek first reported, that in November 2002 former President Bill Clinton specifically requested that the Archives "consider for withholding" various "confidential communications" including those pertaining to "sensitive policy, personal or political" matters as well as "communications directly between the President and First Lady, and their families, unless routine in nature."

The term "withhold" is a term of art relating to presidential papers not necessarily meaning that the papers be kept from the public, but rather that they be reviewed before release.

Historians have complained that while the decision of what to release is ultimately up to the National Archives, Clinton's letter at the very least doesn't expedite the process and may even been delaying it, though the former President disputes that.

The National Archives controversy, as well as questions about the release of the Blair Papers, touch on a murky and well-traveled ground where politicians insist they are releasing information while historians and reporters suspect forces at play delaying immediate disclosure.

Information as yet un-released from the the days of her husband's presidency stored at the Bill Clinton Library constitutes more than 99 percent of 78 million pages' worth and 20 million emails worth of documents, according to the National Archives.

In response to questions about papers not yet released by the Clinton Library, Sen. Clinton told Radio Iowa, "I think it's like people think we have boxes of records in our basement and why don't I just go and get them and hand them over. And you know my husband has never blocked a record ever. He has been the most forthcoming of all presidents."

Bill Clinton's 2002 request and Sen. Clinton's confusing answer on the subject when asked about it at last week's debate, have fueled attacks from Clinton's Democratic and Republican opponents that the Former First Lady is, if not hiding something, not willing to completely disclose everything.

"We have just gone through one of the most secretive administrations in our history," said Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, during the recent Democratic debate "And not releasing, I think, these records -- at the same time, Hillary, that you're making the claim that this is the basis for your experience -- I think, is a problem."
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.