Downloads?

Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Downloads?

Post by Moonwynd »

I installed EQ 2 again - but so far the updates have 78 hours left - they have been downloading for 4 hours already - I have a high speed cable connection - is this normal? Anywhere online one can go to download these files?

Regards,

Moon
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Downloads?

Post by Niffoni »

That fucking patcher ETA is notoriously retarded. You've probably got a full evening's worth of downloading to do, as the damn game is huge. At worst, the recent patching will make it an all-nighter from traffic. But the ETA should settle down about 30 mins in and give you a less ridiculous estimate.

So yes, it's huge and takes forever, but not 78-hours-forever.

You're 4 hours in? Hm. That's longer than it usually takes to settle into sanity.

But I've never heard of it taking more than a day except on dial-up. =/
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

I rebooted - and restarted my cable modem as well - now it settled in to an 8 hours "estimated" time.

Oh well, I have the next 4 days off - so I guess I can wait until tomorrow to play.

Thanks for the info, Niffoni.

Regards,

Moon
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: BeaverButter

Post by Vaemas »

Depends on how far back you're patching. If you're patching from the original EQ2 files, you're in for a lot of content download. My EQ2 directory (with all expansions) is over 9 gig...that's not counting my log files either. I expect you won't end up with that much content as the data for DoF, KoS, and EoF is rather large, but there have been significant changes since the original game was released.
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Well, it is not even a quarter patched and it has been running for 12 hours now. I have the original EQ2 CD's along with the DoF expansion. At this rate I am going to be downloading for at least three full days before I can play - and I have the next three days off so that sucks...
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Yeah, I went there Mid - It let me download the 83MB Play the Fae trial - but that's all that was out there...

I guess I just have to be patient and wait three days to patch this beast - I will just play Two Worlds on my laptop whilst I wait impatiently...
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I don't remember it taking me anywhere near that long when I reinstalled early in the summer, but I might have not installed any of the expansions off of downloads.
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

I am not installing any expansions off of the download. I own the media for the original EQ2 that I bought on release day - and I own the DoF media that I also bought on release day. I did not purchase any additional expansions yet - so the only thing I did was install the original EQ2 and the DoF and then logged in to watch it patch - and boy does it patch...and patch...and patch - and after 16 hours of patching it is 1/4 done patching.

I tested my download speed and downloaded some other files - I am getting around 290 KB / second - which is great for me. I can even login to CoD2 while patching EQ 2 and I get no lag at all. But I don't want to do anything on this PC other than patch at this point - I turned my firewall off - turned my AV off - turned my anti-spyware app off - nothing helps.

Not really bitching - just wondered if there was any way to get these files other than off the patcher - but no luck thus far :roll:
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

That sucks dude. I don't get it.
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Me either
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

I gave up after 21 hours of patching and still only slightly more than 1/4 patched. I went and bought the All In One pack which includes the original, DoF, KoS and EoF with the hopes that it will not only get me up to speed on the two expansions I did not have - but reduce patching time.

Unfortunately this is not the case. Been patching for three hours and just about 1/8 patched....

Uggggh
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

have you actually been bored enough to call Sony to see wtf is going on? Seriously, I can't think of any reason for it to be that slow, lol
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Yeah - I will be calling Sony tomorrow. I actually left and went to the movies - two movies in two days. If tomorrow is a bust I am going to make it a three movie weekend :lol:
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

I am fully patched! That didn't take long at all....pffffft. :lol:
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Vaemas »

SoE's having CAS issues today. So good luck getting in! Tech support thread is up to 24+ pages. People are getting booted at random, assuming they can get in at all.
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

I logged in without issue - but I saw the system message about the issue.

I bought DoF and played for about 1 week after that then quit. When I logged in today I wanted to see the character creation screen - WOW...SOE really updated the races and classes since I last played!

Since my character on Permafrost was only level 8 - I decided to make another (I went with Fae..and Mage). I think this will be my main for now - his name is Elyrion.

Look forward to seeing you in game later today - off to the corn maze/pumpkin patch with my wee one.

Regards,

Moon
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Vaemas »

If you need anything, feel free to shoot me a tell. I'll be off and on the next few days as Vaemas/Shorticus/Task/Pelias/Nachturas.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Just thought I'd bring to light why you were downloading so much, or at least possibly. You just recently restarted after playing before, yes? They've been running a promotion to bring back old players with the free month, and it also includes all expansion packs for free. So even if you only had the original + DoF, you got KoS and EoF as well.

As for how slow it was going. Yeesh. It took me 4-5 hours to download the whole game. All 4 expansions + adventure packs + extra sound packages and such.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Vae you on Guk too?

Marb
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Marbus wrote:Vae you on Guk too?

Marb
We're all on Permafrost
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

So if they were giving old timers like me who bought the game when it first came out all of the expansions...then I went out and purchased EoF (which included all of the others) for 30 bucks for nothing?

Oh well - that was 30 bucks well spent - after 21 hours of downloading I was nary more than 1/4 patched - at that rate I still would not be playing today...

By the way - a big thanks to all who have been helpful and encouraging - thanks to Niff for offering to invite me to his guild - I do appreciate the offer.

And a big thanks to Miir who made me packs, made me spells and gave me gold. Sorry Miir - I already blew it on hookers - sometimes we just have to make our own mistakes despite the good advice! :lol:

Regards,

Moon (Elyrion on Permafrost)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

And a big thanks to Miir who made me packs, made me spells and gave me gold. Sorry Miir - I already blew it on hookers - sometimes we just have to make our own mistakes despite the good advice!
Hehe...
If you need anyhting just let me know...
I have...
65 tailor for cloth/leather armor and cloaks.
56 Jeweler for (obviously) jewelry and scout combat art.
70 Sage for mage and priest spells.

Armor is not of utmost importance for a caster (esp a conj), but keeping your spells at top quality (adept3 or master1) is.

Shoot me a tell or a PM for tips on how to make money.

And as always, don't be afraid to ask in guildchat if you need directions, advice or help with quests. Most of the folks in guild will jump at the chance to mentor down and burn through lower level quests and dungeons... or they will log on an appropriate leveled alt,
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

So if they were giving old timers like me who bought the game when it first came out all of the expansions...then I went out and purchased EoF (which included all of the others) for 30 bucks for nothing?
They probably just activated the expansions for the trial[/] period that lasts until Nov 4 (i think it's the 4th). After that, your accout would have reverted back to only the expansions you have purchased.

I could be wrong... but like you said, it's only 30 bucks.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:Shoot me a tell or a PM for tips on how to make money.
Watch out! It's a pyramid scheme!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Boogahz wrote:
miir wrote:Shoot me a tell or a PM for tips on how to make money.
Watch out! It's a pyramid scheme!
Shhhhh... ;)
Somali
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Somali »

Sweet I'm all about teh Pyramids.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

What the hell, WoW is boring me. I'll reinstall today and come check things out on Perma :)
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yay!. See ya in game Kald.
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Kaldaur wrote:What the hell, WoW is boring me. I'll reinstall today and come check things out on Perma :)
Cool beans!
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Kaldaur wrote:What the hell, WoW is boring me. I'll reinstall today and come check things out on Perma :)
Woohoo Kaldaur!

The most fun thing is that it was mostly an impulse thing for many of us (to return to EQ2 or try it out in the first place for Nick), and lo and behold, now a bunch of us are on Permafrost! :D

It's fun stuff EQ2! :D
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah to my surprise I'm actually having quite a bit of fun with EQ2. It's nice to see so many people coming back/starting!
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Well, I went back to WoW to join thirty friends or so who were doing a reroll guild. Lo and behold, but I remembered why I left. I loved playing my coercer on EQ2, so I might give him a try again. Do we have a list of what everyone is playing, and if they're good/evil? I would love to play something to balance out a group, depending on what we have. I enjoy playing any class, as I've tried them all over a period of a few years.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I can try and put a list together tonight, cause I can't remember for sure what everyone's class is, however I think we have a bit of a variety so far.

I am a dirge, I know that much !
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I have a few characters, but my main is my 70 Wizard. I haven't been online in a week or two due to other commitments for my time and some Xbox 360 releases taking up my available gaming time.
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Well, I am a young Fae Conjuror - but I have to read up on how to progress down the Mage path - I remember when I first played when EQ2 came out and you had to do this sort of trial at level 10 to go down the path you wanted - of course after you did the island in the beginning and chose your initial path.

Now that I am starting anew, there was no island and I am level 14 and I have not seen anything about going down a particular path. I guess I need to go use Google!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Yeah, you now choose what "path" you will take at character selection. They basically got rid of the subclass concept, and I am glad that they did so. I hated having to adjust my playstyle for a character a few times before actually getting to PLAY the class I intended to be in the first place.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

meh, i'll have to have a character on perma...I have the vv channel, so eventually will announce my excellence.
en kærlighed småkager
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Damn guys, I guess I'm going to have to create one too... is there 1 guild everyone is in or are people spread out? I'll probably make a... crap, lol no idea. But something...

Marb
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Marbus

On Perma, it seems as if the Veeshanites are not terribly split up, merely divided in two guilds.

The League and The Knights! Healping each other in need! :D
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I am in the download hell that Moonwynd vacated. I picked up Kunark after work. I have been downloading for 6 hours. I logged in once for a few minutes, but everything except for my UI was black upon entering Kunark for the first time. When I logged out to try to fix it, I had to start downloading the same fucking files again.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

No clue Boog. I downloaded the Rise of Kunark All-in-One pack in about 4 hours. It was something like 5gb or more in three seperate downloads.

I use http://downloadstore.gameinvasion.net . I bought it for $40 bucks and their servers are fast as hell.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I let it run overnight, and I even restarted it when it showed that it was both updating and done updating once. I was able to log in this morning without any additional downloading. I did a couple quests around the docks before heading to work.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Just curious Midnyte why would you buy online for the same cost as retail (well, no tax...) and be left with the PITA of having to download it all and not getting any additional material with the retail packaging.
- Ash
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Convenience, I would assume.
I personally MUST have the retail box for any game I buy.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Yeah, I have done Digital Downloads in the past, but I feel the need to get the retail version after some poor experiences with other games.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I dunno. It was very convenient. While the servers were down all day Tuesday, I was downloading and patching the expansion. I was ready to rock when the servers came up.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I always preferred retail expansions even if they cost more. I guess I just like something tangible for my money.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:I always preferred retail expansions even if they cost more. I guess I just like something tangible for my money.
Yeah me too, not sure why but I just like to have the box/discs.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Used to be that shit like the manuals and maps that came with games were all a part of the experience. Nowadays you're lucky to even get the instructions that allow someone who can't even boil water to install the game.