NFL Thread

What do you think about the sports world?
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

NFL Thread

Post by Zamtuk »

Since Winnow chose to gay up the other appropirate one with a fucking clothing argument (really?), I'll make a new one.

Dear Homercles,

hahafuckinghahahah. 51-45 Browns!

PS: Fuck you kilmoll, I hope the Steelers get aids.
Fuck Michigan!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Spang »

Go Bucs!
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I guess the Cardinals aren't as bad as I thought!

Arizona 23 Seattle 20

S.F. is 2-0 so I suppose they should be thankful they beat the Cardinals in the last 26 seconds of the Monday Night game!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Ben Rothlisberger is tougher than a fucking car, AIDS simply won't stick to him.

Norv Turner is the only man on the planet who can't figure out how to run the Charger's offense. It's the tactical nuke of NFL offenses, yet this assclown can't make it work.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Kryshade »

All I know is I'm glad Carson Palmer is my starting fantasy quarterback!! Tomlinson hasn't done squat for me so far. :(
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

I'm Homo for Romo!
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Hasn't Norv Turner already shown that he sucks? Is that really the best coach the Chargers could come up with? They are lucky that most of the teams in that division suck or they might not even make the playoffs in a strong AFC.

WHO DEY! Apparently Dey are the doormat of the AFC. I would say I am amazed, but then the Bungles really should be 0-2 since they SUCKED against the Ravens and only 6 complete gifts from the Ravens kept them in the game. It was nice ot see the officials tried to keep the Bungles in the game this Sunday as well....that was absolutely attrocious what they were doing to the Browns. That game could have been 51-28.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Despite the apparent gaps in the run defense and continuing issues in the red zone, the Broncos look like they can continue to win, ONLY if they shore up the those problem areas. That Cutler kid has serious potential, and excellent poise. If they keep getting better... big challenges ahead though. If they can pull out wins against Indy and SD....tough fucking road man.

I really think SD went in the wrong direction with Norv, who maybe is on maybe par with the likes of Wade Phillips(hackhackhack).
en kærlighed småkager
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

Norv and Wade will never be anything but good assistant coaches. The years they had as head coaches were pretty much disasters. I don't know a lot about Norv but Wade has the personality of a Sea Sponge. He was a good assistant coach when he didn't have to do as pepping players up and such and could concentrate on his specialties but he just blows whenever he tries to call an offense.
Deward
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I just remember wade from his stay as head couch[sic] in Denver....that was awful.
en kærlighed småkager
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

I am really enjoying Kornheiser, Tirico, and Jaws as the commentators of MNF. I am extremely critical of commentators of all sports (i'd say 80% are terrible), but these guys just do it for me. Additionally, I think that they should permanently add Charles Barkley to the staff, after his appearance during the Redskins Eagles game.

The half time show isn't that great, in my opinion. Chris Berman's 3 minute drill isn't very exciting anymore, but maybe it's because i've seen clips of all the NFL games the day before. The PTI segment is great, but way too short. I would be much happier if they gave the full time to Kornheiser and Wilbon to do a PTI thing.

Does Jacked Up still exist? I thought it was before the kickoff of MNF, but I have not seen it the past two weeks. My roommate claims it was during halftime, and was replaced by PTI, but I think he's wrong.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I can't stand Kornheiser...period...or is that three periods...
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Boogahz wrote:I can't stand Kornheiser...period...or is that three periods...
Can I ask why? Don't want to debate his merits with you, just curious why you dislike him.

He comes off as a prick sometimes (or most of the time). From reading old articles hes written (i don't think he's written since 2003 or 2004) and various interviews with Wilbon, I have come to understand that he is a very timid person, and when hes uncomfortable he acts more like an asshole.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Actually, I really hated 'Jacked Up'...of course, I can't stand most football personalities (esp Bradshaw, Berman, Madden and Howie Long). What I do like: flex scheduling for sunday nights later in season...
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Aardor wrote:
Boogahz wrote:I can't stand Kornheiser...period...or is that three periods...
Can I ask why? Don't want to debate his merits with you, just curious why you dislike him.

He comes off as a prick sometimes (or most of the time). From reading old articles hes written (i don't think he's written since 2003 or 2004) and various interviews with Wilbon, I have come to understand that he is a very timid person, and when hes uncomfortable he acts more like an asshole.

You nailed it with the prick and asshole comments.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Don't forget he is dull and is better suited for some fantasy fanboi's basement and not a TV booth. :D
en kærlighed småkager
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Kitna said during the summer that the Lions would have a 10 win season this year.

2-0? About to play (stomp upon?!?!?!?!) the eagles.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Leonaerd wrote:Kitna said during the summer that the Lions would have a 10 win season this year.

2-0? About to play (stomp upon?!?!?!?!) the eagles.
Dawkins is going to knock him out for more than a quarter this game!
Canelek wrote:Don't forget he is dull and is better suited for some fantasy fanboi's basement and not a TV booth. :D
Why do you say this?
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

I can't stand kornheiser either. I get the impression that he really doesn't know shit about football and whenever someone disagrees with him he rolls his eyes and takes on a better than thou attitude. Is he supposed to be funny as well? I just don't get him at all.
Deward
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Bring back Dennis Miller!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Ok, lots of Kornheiser hate..so do you like this years groups (kornheiser, tirico, jaworski) is better or worse than last years (kornheiser, tirico, theismann)? Furthermore what current announcer group do you like better? And what group of announcers have you liked better in the past?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Jaworski is excellent. Jaws knows his football and blows away Theisman.

That Korn dude sucks and so did Dennis Miler. I'm not sure why they need a "comedian" in the booth at all.

They also kept Charles Barkley as a guest a bit too long in the booth last game.

Boot Korn and let Jaws and Tirico get the job done.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I'm kind of with Winnow on this one. I don't really mind Kornheiser, but I don't think he adds much.

That said, this team is much better than last years. Theismann was a bad fit on that crew, and Jaworski is better even without any fit issues. Tirico is good too. I don't necessarily mind having a three-man booth, but I'd rather have a color guy who adds more.

I do like having Kornheiser do the PTI bit at halftime. I also like him better this year than last, partially because he's less annoying without Theismann around, and partially because he just doesn't talk as often as he did last year. Sometimes, though, it seems like he thinks "oh shit, I've been quiet for awhile, time for a Tony moment," and he busts out with some loud proclamation or boldly confrontational statement that disrupts the flow of the game I'm trying to watch. That's annoying, but I think it's better than last year.

I'd personally prefer that they just ditch Kornheiser's position altogether and let Jaws and Tirico do their thing, but at least they could add a colorful former athlete or something like that instead of Kornheiser. I don't really want Barkley in there (since he doesn't know much about football), but he's a great commentator and the Charles Barkley of football (if one exists) would be a perfect Kornheiser replacement.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Monday Night Football has declined over the years--mainly due to scheduling, and partially due to booth talent. There is also too much fluff intro and that hank williams jr shit has gotta go already. Unless my team is playing, I rarely watch it, and even so, most of it gets muted. That is just opinion, of course.
en kærlighed småkager
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I love Barkley because he's got that slow, Alabama delivery that lulls you into thinking he's a simpleton, but just when that happens, he slips in a great comment that really gets you laughing. He's also got an awesome poker face, it's real hard to tell when he's fucking with somebody until he gets his punchline in.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Knarlz
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Knarlz »

On the east coast, Monday night football turns into Tuesday morning football.
I don't even watch my home team the rare times they get scheaduled.
Of course that is the Buffalo Bills so fuck me!.
The stinking Bills are 0-2, with 10 point on offense and play the Pats this week.
There is always next year!
Pride of nationality depends not on ignorance of other nations, but on ignorance of one's own.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I like Madden and Michaels.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

I find NFL coverage interesting, especially because the comentators, don't pull a lot of punches when talking about bad teams, personnel or coaches. I grew up on CFL and NHL coverage where they will refer to the "struggles" of a team, their injuries and talk about their places in the standings but never really talk about how bad they are. It almost seems a case of "be careful: the shoes you piss on today may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow" throughout the entire complex. I guess its because guys like Bradshaw, Ditka, Madden, Tiki, the Bus et al are famous enough they don't have to soft peddle shit to anybody, and the lesser lights seem to feed off that attitude.
Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:I am going to call Joey Harrington Comeback Player of the Year. I think he leads the Falcons to the playoffs.
Sorry Kilmoll, but I extracted this one to snicker at (I honestly wish you well on the rest of your picks). With the Falcons signing Leftwich I think Harrington's days in Atlanta are numbered, but with 13 sacks to go with his 2 ints and 0 TDs, I do wonder how much is his fault and how much is the O-Line's. A QB has to see the rush and try to avoid (and Harrington looks like he has concrete weights for feet) but the line still has to buy him some reasonable time when passing too.

The other rumour is that Sexy Rexy may be wearing out his welcome in Chicago. They haven't gone out and signed a replacement but his numbers aren't sterling either. Is this likely that they would write off the young QB that took them (admittedly on the backs of the defense and special teams) to the Super Bowl?

And to make QB comments a trio, how about McNabb's comments the other day? I thought it was interesting how they mirrored some of the discussion (points brought up by Sueven about black QBs) we had about the Michael Vick thing. I live a fairly placid, isolated life in terms of racial tensions/overtones: its just not an issue in my part of the world (predominantly white Western Canada). Thus my first reaction is that McNabb deserves to have some criticism or at least questioning based on his play (6 losses in last 7 starts) and his ability to continue based on his past and current injury status. I think the Eagles need to be realistic about the possibility that McNabb, who is widely espoused as not 100% healthy, could get hurt again and they have to plan for that. And at his age (31 in November) you have to wonder if the next shot will end his career. Personally, I like what I have seen of McNabb in the media, from his play and the personality he projects as an intelligent, well spoken man, not afraid to voice his thoughts and opinions but not with a chip on his shoulder either. And I do think back to some of the (Sueven's again?) comments about the Philedelphia fans/media when Jeff Garcia stepped in for him last season and wonder if his comments weren't at least partially justified as well.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

In all reality Joey has actually looked sharp....and has put the ball on the money. Unfortunately, his line can't block anyone and his receivers like to tip balls in the air and watch defenders grab them and race for 6. That is one attrocious team right now.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

The ATL line was selected more for their ability to get the fuck out of Vick's way than their ability to block.

The Bears have more problems that just the Sex Cannon. Their running backs and leading receiver are coughing up the ball at an alarming rate, and their offensive line isn't blocking worth a shit.
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

I am pretty old school. I want announcers that will announce the game and do good replays, not talk about some players mother's chili recipe for 15 minutes while action is occurring. I get really annoyed when they are talking garbage while plays are running. I so prefer to listen to radio announcers. THey don't talk garbage while plays are happening.

Madden is a dumbass. He needs to retire already. He hasn't been relevant in years. If I have to see his bus one more time I may have to track him down and shoot him. He has no real insight into the game anymore. He just states the obvious ad nauseum.
Deward
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Turn on the radio and mute the television! I've done that a few times before and it was interesting.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Boogahz wrote:Turn on the radio and mute the television! I've done that a few times before and it was interesting.
The pause between radio and TV has just gotten too huge for this to work for me. It's seriously about 15-20 seconds in my area, when watching the game on an HD station.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Aardor wrote:
Boogahz wrote:Turn on the radio and mute the television! I've done that a few times before and it was interesting.
The pause between radio and TV has just gotten too huge for this to work for me. It's seriously about 15-20 seconds in my area, when watching the game on an HD station.
Yeah, it's been a while since I did it, but that delay was actually the interesting part! I used to do this in a way when working on my mom's land. I would be filthy and taking a break on the porch while the game was on inside. I would listen on a radio headphone set while I was working, and I would just leave them on while watching through the window :P
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Lets take this time to mention that John Joseph Harrington now has a completeltion rate of 71.9 and a QB rating of 98.2!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Lets take this time to mention that John Joseph Harrington now has a completeltion rate of 71.9 and a QB rating of 98.2!
And still no offensive line. But apparently neither do the eagles.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Lets take this time to mention that John Joseph Harrington now has a completeltion rate of 71.9 and a QB rating of 98.2!
Maybe the Bears should try to get him? :p
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

Aardor wrote:
Justice got wrecked the entire game. He is the reason Donovan got creamed so much.

Eagles need their key starters back. I almost cried when we lost to NY.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Gonzoie - Luclin wrote:
Aardor wrote:
Justice got wrecked the entire game. He is the reason Donovan got creamed so much.

Yeah, Justice got destroyed. However, it was his first game starting, and his 2nd real NFL game. I think a big problem might be Mcnabb. Not that he's not any good, but the first rusher seemed to get him almost every time (not 2nd or 3rd effort). So we need to change the protection scheme, or I am afraid Mcnabb will get hurt again.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Aardor wrote:
Gonzoie - Luclin wrote:
Aardor wrote:

Yeah, Justice got destroyed. However, it was his first game starting, and his 2nd real NFL game. I think a big problem might be Mcnabb. Not that he's not any good, but the first rusher seemed to get him almost every time (not 2nd or 3rd effort). So we need to change the protection scheme, or I am afraid Mcnabb will get hurt again.
You're just saying that because he's black and black quarterbacks take more criticism than white ones... like Rex Grossman.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I just want to take this moment to say GO PACKERS!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

noel wrote:You're just saying that because he's black and black quarterbacks take more criticism than white ones... like Rex Grossman.
Rex Grossman takes a lot of criticism because he sucks. If Peyton Manning was a shitty quarterback, he'd be taking a lot of criticism too. However, if you're a black quarterback, regardless of talent, you are heavily scrutinuzed.

Let's take a look at some present season numbers:

black guy - 943 passing yards, 5 TDs and 1 INT

white guy - 500 yards passing, 1 TD and 6 INTs

The black guy is throwing up some decent numbers this season, but the team ain't winning so let's stir up those trade rumors!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I just don't agree. I think black quarterbacks take a lot of criticism when they suck. Before he was a known dog defiler, M. Vick took heat for having a shitty completion percentage.

D McNabb got no criticism the year he and T. Owens made the NFC Championship. Maybe it's different in Philly, but outside of Philly, and as far as I'm concerned, D McNabb prior to his injury was one of the best Quarterbacks in the NFL. If he fully recovers from his injury I have no doubt he will be again.

I don't really think he was out of line for saying what he said. If he feels that way, I'm glad he said it. I just don't know where that perceived black criticism is coming from.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

All quarterbacks take a lot of criticism when they suck, especially if they play in Philly. Those fans are ruthless. One season in Philly during a game, they fucking bood Santa Clause. I think I may have misunderstood your initial post, because I don't agree with it, but I do agree with your most recent response.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Looks like my team gets to most likely lose its RB soon.... How on earth could you be so fucking stupid to fail a 3rd drug test??? Oh Henry....
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Canelek wrote:Looks like my team gets to most likely lose its RB soon.... How on earth could you be so fucking stupid to fail a 3rd drug test??? Oh Henry....
I hear that Ricky Williams is trying to get back into the league!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Boogahz wrote:
Canelek wrote:Looks like my team gets to most likely lose its RB soon.... How on earth could you be so fucking stupid to fail a 3rd drug test??? Oh Henry....
I hear that Ricky Williams is trying to get back into the league!
Yeah, I heard that as well. Good luck to him, I say. With all the real crime being commited around the league, ya figure a little gange would be less an offense than jaywalking these days. :) Come on guys, just abstain for 30-45 days before reapplying!

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_br ... ams_i_cant
en kærlighed småkager
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Whats really sad is all Travis Henry had to do was wait until Oct 1 to smoke and his slate would have been wiped clean.
NFL wipes your substance abuse record clean after two years in the program with no positive tests.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Think this a great article about the problems with the NFL currently, and sports in general:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/ ... id=3050882
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Shocking development....Kurt Warner hurt. Bye bye Cardinals season. Thanks for being.....you.