If we go to war...

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

If we go to war...

Post by Bubba Grizz »

How many of our august body of posters and lurkers would be directly effected, as in put on a boat and sent to the desert?

How many of you are prior service? (not designating country due to a common bond)

What are your thoughts on the possiblity of reinstating the draft in the US?

Would war directly effect you then? (are you a potential candidate for being drafted?)
Mort
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mort »

Im 31 years old, but I will go fucking sign up Tomorrow if they could use me.....(Smoker/Pothead/Washed Up Rockstar who has "Abused" many a drug in his day) but I would go in a HOT SECOND if they put out the word that they needed people.

Bring It!
Morteus - 60 NE War - Cenarius
Warlord of <Driven>

"I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct....."
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

I am prior service but got out during officers training due to heart palpitations (after serving 6 years as enlisted). This makes me non-eligible for going back in under any circumstances. Reinstating the draft just to make Congress think twice about going to war is rediculous. I don't want my congress deciding not to go to war just because their daughter might get hurt. That's being weak.
Bojangels
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bojangels »

Mort, I think you gotta be 25 or younger to enlist active duty, I could be off tho. Could probably go guard or reserve if not.
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

It's 29 I believe, basically can't be 30 I think.

-edit- found this.

Age. One would think that age would be a simple category. One is either old enough, or too old, right? Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work that way. By federal law (10 U.S.C., 510), the minimum age for enlistment in the United States Military is 17 (with parental consent) and the maximum age is 35. This is to ensure than anyone who enlists on active duty can be eligible for retirement (20 years of service) at the mandatory age of 55 (60 in some cases). However, DOD policy allows the individual services to specify the maximum age of enlistment based upon their own unique requirements. The individual services have set the following maximum ages for non-prior service enlistment:

Army - 34
Air Force - 27
Navy - 34
Marines - 28
Coast Guard - 27
Last edited by Krimson Klaw on January 14, 2003, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ajran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Ajran »

35 years old i don't think they'd take me... prior reservist left reserves over 10 years ago..

-Ajran
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

I'm prior service but am well beyond any recall. My inactive reserve period passed many years ago. If it did get to the point they called me up the world would really be in deep shit.

I would like to see re-instatement of the draft with a few changes from what is envisioned by most Americans. I think the draft should be opened to all men and women of the appropriate age and some form of government service be performed for a period of 2 years. This could be in the Peace Corps, Armed Forces, or some type of federal service agency as deemed appropriate.

I think a 2 year hitch in anything that requires some type of service to the country would be good for a lot of people.
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

Looks like you barely make the age req, Ajran. Oops, nm, I see the cutoff is 34 by the individual services. I bet if the crap hits the fan they would make an exception for ya though!
Ajran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Ajran »

heheh if they called me i'd go.. and actually i am only 35 by um 23 days..

My wife might not like the idea of it and i'd certainly need some brush up training on my 91A10 Combat Medic training.

but if they called i'd go quite willingly

-Ajran
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I am 36 right now. I honorably discharged as an E-5 from the Air Force at 22. Due to certain circumstances I was placed on IRR for 25 years after my discharge date. This leaves me eligible to be called back if needed.

My personal opinion is that everyone should be required to do a 2 year stint in the military right after highschool and before college. I feel that a lot of the bullshit problems our country faces internally would be solved if this were so.
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

If they reinstated the draft, I would go if they would have me.
Outside of that, I have family concerns and could not just "sign up" unless it was a massive deal or one that was very critical (IE: Imminent world distruction).
Hoarmurath
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Hoarmurath »

I have several very close, real life friends that could be sent to the Gulf region in the event of a war.

I am prior service, and a Gulf War I veteran.

I am no longer eligible to be recalled, but I'd be eligible for the draft if it was reinstated. Of course, I'd just save them the trouble and volunteer if they reinstated the draft. My old unit could probably use my mad skeelz. ;)

I'm pretty much against any kind of draft. It seems to me that if you don't have enough people volunteering, then you probably don't have enough public support for a war in the first place.
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

How many of you are prior service? (not designating country due to a common bond)
8 years US Army and damn proud

What are your thoughts on the possiblity of reinstating the draft in the US?
The draft is a waste, the modern army, short of a full scale global conventional war, needs good troops not just bullet stoppers.

Would war directly effect you then? (are you a potential candidate for being drafted?)
Cannot rejoin due to medical, Inactive Reserve does not qualify since I served 8 years active ( all enlistments are for 8 years, and any not served active is considered inactive reserve) and medical would stop that irregardless.

However since I work as a defense contractor, war is well good for business
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

I am Active Duty and will go in a heart beat.

There is no chance of a draft imho, this is not like Vietnam where we as a country did not want to go to war. Rather, this is a war that Americans on a whole are actually looking forward to. Also, the enlistment rate has recently gone through the roof since 9-11.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Millie

Post by Millie »

I have several friends who've been shipped off to Kuwait already (mostly ROTC people), and a few more who are being called out of the reserves.

The possibility of reinstating the draft is highly unlikely. It's only being tossed around by some shithead senator as an anti-war measure. He hopes that, if a draft is in place, Bush will think twice about sending his daughters off to combat -- as will the other hawks in the government think twice about sending their kids to Iraq. I doubt the draft would be a legitimate deterrant, considering most of those slimeballs in office wouldn't give two shits about sending the young generation to die for their causes.

On the unlikely occasion that a draft were called, I would serve my duty. I registered for the draft at age 18, and like it or not, it's part of my responsibility as a citizen here. I wouldn't be jumping for joy at my chance to get shot in the desert, but I would suck it up and go.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I retired from the military a little over 4 years ago, the odds of my getting recalled are extremely low. Even if I was recalled, my odds of seeing sand (again) are pretty small. I'd likely be back teaching, which is a whole lot of fun if you've never done it.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Toshira
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Toshira »

Missing too much of a finger to be eligible. Have a good friend who is a SEAL though, bit worried about him.
Fallanthas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fallanthas »

Went in, immediately got diagnosed witha medical condition, got to sit my ass in process for six weeks of nothing and sent back home.

I'm bumping up against the age limit, but if there were need for any skills I have then yes, I would go. (forget rifleman. I have the worst case of trigger flinch you have ever seen. Now, fi the needed a bow sniper for some reason....)

I would lose a LOT of folks around the office to a call up. I expect that to start happening soon, and it's not a comfortable thing. I salute them and let them know we will keep a chair and a pot of coffee warm.
Brotha
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Brotha »

I'm more concerned about El Nino.

http://bama.ua.edu/~jorda025/chrisfarleyclips.htm
Freedom of speech makes it much easier to spot the idiots.
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

ehh im not even gonna try
war=bad
Last edited by Xzion on January 14, 2003, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-xzionis human mage on mannoroth
-zeltharath tauren shaman on wildhammer
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

What did he just say?
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

he said hew ouldnt go ot war do you have a fucking reading problem?
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

XzionSek'TovaCT wrote:iw ouldnt go ot war being drafted against my will and stand and fight for some dumbfuck politicians who thinks that saddam might have weapons and might launch an attack, if he does, hes fucked by everyone admediatly...
BUT ME MIGHT BE A THREAT!!!!!!!! so we have kill US citizens in a war and many iraqi civilians
bye bye US if i was drafted

if it was for something i believed in and war was necessary, then id fight, but for this bullshit fuck no
This is one of Xzion's most literate posts to date. He is an utter fucking moron.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Krimson Klaw wrote:What did he just say?
Wouldnt is going to fight, to be sketched against my will and has supported and fighting for some politicians of dumbfuck that they think that Saddam could have arms and could mount an attack. If, hes it took from every admediatly... BUT THE FORCE IS!!!!!!!! of the THREAT we have therefore city of the E.E.U.U. of slaughter house in one war and many civilians of Iraqian. Good bye the E.E.U.U. if they sketched me
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Mort
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mort »

Go lie down...... and wake up again.
Morteus - 60 NE War - Cenarius
Warlord of <Driven>

"I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct....."
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

chomp chomp chomp:

Is thin it disseminates eight releases for Wouldnt in this place meddlesomely the politician which will fight it inside Saddam thinks, will fight the company by Korea which it will load to my will, it will have the dumbfuck support, it will be able to establish the attack, su khey pity. But, it have with, possesses this spatial matter... Admediatly is it follows in the plain ours hes force,! hyep, has the E.E.U.U city. Murderous wholly absorbed house one war and many Iraqian citizen. Only method in medicine. .. . When they to I su khey,
Last edited by miir on January 14, 2003, 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gordiken the Wicked
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Gordiken the Wicked »

Xzion ebayed to Slab I think
<3 Sajko IRL
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Gordiken the Wicked wrote:Xzion ebayed to Slab I think
Which Slab?
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cotto »

Since I'm colourblind my optician told me there would be several jobs unavailable to me.
Now this was a good 13 odd years ago (Im only 19). I've always wondered am I still eligible for service? (Bare in mind im in the U.K so it may be different from U.S law) Then again, it may not matter shit.
It could be that the only purpose for your every existence, is to serve as a warning to others.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

He said he tried to enter the military but was not literate enough to fill out any of the material, even with the help of the recruitment officers. Maybe if Sparty would help him communicate with pictures, someone might know what the hell he was saying.
Bojangels
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bojangels »

You can serve in the U.S. military if you're color blind, just not certain jobs. No color blind guys in EOD hehe :lol:
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:He said he tried to enter the military but was not literate enough to fill out any of the material, even with the help of the recruitment officers. Maybe if Sparty would help him communicate with pictures, someone might know what the hell he was saying.

Wouldn't they just make him a Marine? *ducks*
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

as i said i need to stop posting when im drunk and in a bad mood for some reason, sorry about that, always fun going back to boards and seeing what a jackass you are :wink:
Last edited by Xzion on January 15, 2003, 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

XzionSek'TovaCT wrote:gahh just cousa a couple typeos and misspellings couse i cant spell :?
Discounting words with less than 3 letters, you misspelled roughly 44% of the words in that sentence.

The spelling errors in your previous post wasn't so bad but it was so grammatically unsound, we were unable to understand what you were trying to say.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

miir wrote:
XzionSek'TovaCT wrote:gahh just cousa a couple typeos and misspellings couse i cant spell :?
Discounting words with less than 3 letters, you misspelled roughly 44% of the words in that sentence.

The spelling errors in your previous post wasn't so bad but it was so grammatically unsound, we were unable to understand what you were trying to say.
which may explain his character/VV name :p
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Well.

Post by Xanupox »

I have seen it, I see it everyday when I goto work.

I have lost 23 of 34 people in my work center to deployments, with more anticipated. I would be gone myself but I am the only one with any experience in the section, so they have to keep me stateside.

My airmen are in spread all around right now in Kurdistan, Afganistan, Qatar, Kuwait, Turkey, Saudi, Jordan, Cyprus and Israel.

We will be at war in less than a month.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Well.

Post by kyoukan »

Xanupox wrote:I have seen it, I see it everyday when I goto work.

I have lost 23 of 34 people in my work center to deployments, with more anticipated. I would be gone myself but I am the only one with any experience in the section, so they have to keep me stateside.
you think they could just hire a puerto rican to clean the food trays.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

OMG! I SNARFED!

Xan what AFSC is your unit comprised of?
Ahmik
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Ahmik »

I'm 38. I did 6 years of Army national guard, took a few years off and then followed that up with 10 years and 8 months of active duty USAF. I separated in 2000 as an E-6 TSgt. I decided that I had had enough. I go to school full time now, BUT I would return at a moments notice.

A draft? I don't think so, we have plenty of people currently enlisted in the active and reserve forces to weather the storm... and plenty of new recruits that are willing to serve. You can stay home if you choose, I'll go back for ya...

Good luck to all that are going, my prayers are with ya.
Ahmik
Just another retired 65 Cleric

Krahl
66 Ranger Extraordinare
beasted
No Stars!

Post by beasted »

We have some singular/plural noun disagreement (the word "errors" being plural, and the word "wasn't" being singular -- try "weren't" next time), and a run-on sentence here.

sorry.
i had to.
Sovereign
Masekle
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Masekle »

lol!! I caught that one earlier and I am linguistically challenged. I just kept my mouth shut.

Maybe it was some kind of a spoof of the other guy, on his part?

Bah!
Masekle/Sandrana
Gemily
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Gemily »

Que?
Last edited by Gemily on January 15, 2003, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gemily
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Gemily »

kyoukan type-R wrote:[

Nope, thats what Canadians are for.
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

kyoukan type-R wrote:
Xanupox wrote:I have seen it, I see it everyday when I goto work.

Im not that evil, to put YOU out of a job Ky.

I'm currently a meteorologist that forecasts for the southeast quadrant of the United States. I re-classified in 1997, the work I did prior was more "physical and combat oriented", thats about all I can say on that.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I can totally understand and relate why you can't discuss certain aspects of your career. nuff said.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

My airmen are in spread all around right now in Kurdistan, Afganistan, Qatar, Kuwait, Turkey, Saudi, Jordan, Cyprus and Israel
Just as long as you don't start talking about your semen.
I see you still haven't learned how to spell Afghanistan.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

beasted wrote:
We have some singular/plural noun disagreement (the word "errors" being plural, and the word "wasn't" being singular -- try "weren't" next time), and a run-on sentence here.

sorry.
i had to.
Yeah, knew I was gonna get burned on that, but I was on my way out the door and couldn't be arsed to make an edit.

"weren't" and a comma would have made that sentence grammatically correct.