Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

1-18-08

Post by Dregor Thule »

Anyone else really effing intrigued by the trailer for JJ Abrams new movie? No titles been released yet (rumor has it that the name will be revealed at the San Diego Comicon) so people are referring to it by the release date or some codename Cloverfield. Supposed to be a monster movie filmed in a Blair Witch style. Anyways, here's the trailer.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KQWFOgvPE20
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Re: 1-18-08

Post by Aardor »

I thought it was a really great trailer, it certainly is generating a prodigious amount of hype. The rumors I have read say that it will probably be a Mothra movie, but I don't really trust the rumors due to lack of any support.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Looks like end of the world movies will be all the rage at the theaters again next year. I Am Legend looks like a good one too.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Yeah, neat trailor--this will certainly be the buzz until it is leaked and/or comes out.

Speaking of disaster movies, Danny Boyle's Sunshine looks interesting. May go see a screening next week.
en kærlighed småkager
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

I was thinking it was gonna be some kind of alien giant robot, but whatevah - looks intriguing.
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

A person can be seen wearing a Slusho t-shirt in the movie trailer. It's visible when he leans toward the camera to ask if anything can be seen from the roof after watching the news broadcast. Slusho is a drink from J.J. Abrams' show "Alias" (2001) as well as this film's codename.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Hopin' for a Godzilla-like monster. Don't want Mothra nor Giant Robo.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cotto »

Canelek wrote: Speaking of disaster movies, Danny Boyle's Sunshine looks interesting. May go see a screening next week.

Very good film, excellent cast, script and music, certainly one to see.
It could be that the only purpose for your every existence, is to serve as a warning to others.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Cotto wrote:
Canelek wrote: Speaking of disaster movies, Danny Boyle's Sunshine looks interesting. May go see a screening next week.

Very good film, excellent cast, script and music, certainly one to see.
Oh? Do tell your impressions (spoiler free). :) I have really enjoyed most of his work.
en kærlighed småkager
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Mothra would rock - if only for the chance to see Gamera spin in and save the day!

Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Cotto and I went to see Sunshine a while back when it was in the cinema.

It was, as every Danny Boyle film is, a fantastic piece of work that everyone should give a chance. It's a bit of a more gung ho action flick than some of his earlier works, but it retains legitimacy by having a good set of actors (most notably Cillean Murphy), fucking mental plot twists that are actually really cool, great music and an overall story thats engrossing as hell.

Fucking great film, don't wanna give too much away though.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Excellent, thanks me Irish peeps! :D I really look forward to this and hope the line is not to long for the screening on Wednesday. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Yes, forgot to post on topic, this film looks awesome.

I think Lost is amazing, so I suspect anything by this dude in the same style will be fucking fantastic.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The working title is rumored to me "Monstrous".
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809873032/video/5200943/

new trailer up and movie is called Cloverfield.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Oooooooooooooh this looks great!
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

[Show]
Looks like the monster is some evolved/mutated whale. Everything that lived upon it was also mutated. E.g. thousands of tiny bugs that are now 10 ft tall.
Last edited by Keverian FireCry on November 29, 2007, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Shouldn't the angry whales be attacking Tokyo then?
en kærlighed småkager
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

maybe they already have...

:shock:
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I feel like that picture should be in a spoiler tag...
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

[Show]
that picture reminds me of Sin from FF10
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Zygar_ Cthulhukin »

That pic is not the monster, it's fan art.
{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \\(^o^)// --- I DID IT!!!! -Hiro
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Big update today. Three different countries all have a different viewpoint on the same footage. There is no monster shot. This is all part of the viral marketing, so no spoilers, just more hype.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO2Si3SlY18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWotblAy6Zk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KarNwKx5mGY

Also, there was a picture of the toy version of the monster hitting the Net, but those are not real. Up until this point, unbelievably, there have been no postings of what the monster looks like. I'm simply amazed they've kept it under wraps this long.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I love the angle they are taking with the marketing. I will see this, as soon as I follow the furry animal off of the cliff.

Then I will see it again.

and again....

and again

The anticipation alone is enough to make me see this, not at weird hours, but I will see this. Looks cool!
en kærlighed småkager
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

Web site for fake environmental group who may or may not be involved in the deep sea oil disaster referenced in the youtube videos

http://tidowave.com/

edit, there are some cryptic messages on the web site talking about how "something will fix it all"!!!!! or whatnot. there's also a web site for the company who runs the deep sea drilling operations http://www.tagruato.jp/ and a wiki for the viral marketting campaign http://cloverfield.despoiler.org/index. ... =Main_Page
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

As the reviews are rolling in, one thing is very clear. This is no ground-breaking, genre defining monster movie. It is exactely as advertised: "Blair Witch" handcam footage with a Godzilla-esque creature tearing up New York.

If you did not like the way Blair Witch was shot, I suggest you do not go see this film. It's more of the same.

Don't go in with soaring expectations. You will be dissappointed.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I'm interested to see how this turns out.

I haven't heard a peep about the movie out here in DC. None of my friends have heard of it. No one has mentioned being excited for its release. I mentioned the name of the movie once, and nobody even knew that it was a movie.

When I was in Los Angeles a little while ago, there was Cloverfield advertising everywhere. I understand that movie advertising is more prominent in Hollywood than it is on the East Coast, but this shit was really over the top-- huge billboards on the sides of buildings and so on. I saw far more ads for Cloverfield than I saw for Rambo or any other movie which actually gets some hype back east.

Clearly, they've got Hollywood watchers excited, and they've done a good job with the viral campaign to reach monster-movie nerds across the country. Will that be successful for them? I'm reminded of Snakes on a Plane, which a HUGE viral marketing campaign and dismal box office receipts. Of course, Snakes on a Plane was basically a joke movie, while Cloverfield is not, so maybe they will successfully set off an avalanche of excitement.

Either way, I'm more excited to track the business results than I am to actually see the movie. I may very well see it (even though I hate movies) because I like monster movies myself, which is why I knew about it and none of my friends did (plus, I hang out with you VV folks on the internet, which helps me know obscure things about nerdy sci-fi sorts of things). But my expectations for the movie are low, while my interest in its release is high.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sueven wrote:But my expectations for the movie are low, while my interest in its release is high.
This is very much my attitude as well. I certianly won't be going to a theater to see this, but I will definately buy it. The dark Knight Returns is the only movie I intend on seeing at the theater this year, and that will be at the IMAX. Well, I might see Iron Man as well, but only because I have a group of friends whom I tend to see comic book movie releases with as a weird tradition.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Ok, I saw it

It was pretty good but the shaky camera thing has been brought to a whole new level. Comments I heard during and after the movie rangged from, "I am dizzy." to "That's it?" Took the wife and my son and they both thought it was pretty good too.

I would give the movie a 7/10. The concept is cool, the buildup was cool and the movie is pretty good.

I don't want to go into the plot too much, so I do not ruin it for you guys. The wife and I had talked about some of the issues we had with the plot all the way home.

I do have one question though. Does this thing have impermeable skin or something? They were dropping bombs on it, shooting it, and when you see it later it looks perfectly fine. No damage at all.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

it has skin?

there goes my "its the bullshit fog from Lost" theory

i hate GayGay Gaybrams.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Monster movie "Cloverfield" has shattered the studio's box-office estimates by raking in $18.25 million for its opening day on Friday.

The number puts it on course to earn just over $50 million for the long weekend, easily shattering the best January opening record held by "Star Wars: Special Edition" with $35.9 million, and the Martin Luther King holiday weekend record which "Black Hawk Down" had with $33.6 million.
Consindering it only cost around 40 million to make, it's a bonified smash hit. Sequel talk is already emerging.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Monster movie "Cloverfield" has shattered the studio's box-office estimates by raking in $18.25 million for its opening day on Friday.

The number puts it on course to earn just over $50 million for the long weekend, easily shattering the best January opening record held by "Star Wars: Special Edition" with $35.9 million, and the Martin Luther King holiday weekend record which "Black Hawk Down" had with $33.6 million.
Consindering it only cost around 40 million to make, it's a bonified smash hit. Sequel talk is already emerging.
Did they learn nothing after Blair Witch 2?
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I think the numbers came from people like me hoping it was a good monster movie. I had heard its more of a love story and that the monster is just what brings them together. After hearing reviews by people I work with, I wont be seeing this in the theater, all of them said they wouldnt have gone had they known it wasnt really a monster movie so much. Perhaps the 50mil it made was due to the advertising and having us guess at what the movie was about. I dunno, since I didnt see it.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

The monster pops up quite a bit, but in little doses. As they turn this corner, they catch a glimpse, video footage in quick spurts and the camera moves and shakes so much you never get a clear picture. Most of it is them wandering around and trying to get to the woman he loves. It is a video diary of what happened to a small group of people on the day a monster attacked the city, not a monster movie.

A sequel would be easy to do. The ending does not reveal what happens to the monster, which may be the reason many are turned off and seemed to be the reason I heard several people say "is that it?" They could also "recover" video from other people and show their story as well.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

The monster pops up quite a bit, but in little doses. As they turn this corner, they catch a glimpse, video footage in quick spurts and the camera moves and shakes so much you never get a clear picture. Most of it is them wandering around and trying to get to the woman he loves. It is a video diary of what happened to a small group of people on the day a monster attacked the city, not a monster movie.

A sequel would be easy to do. The ending does not reveal what happens to the monster, which may be the reason many are turned off and seemed to be the reason I heard several people say "is that it?" They could also "recover" video from other people and show their story as well.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

saw it this weekend

this movie is just awful. a triumph of marketing and a defeat of cinema. should have seen national treasure 2 or the new burton movie
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I thought it was a pretty entertaining monster movie.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Actually, it only cost 30 million to make.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

According to The Numbers the production budget was $25 million. No telling what they have spent on advertising. I'm sure it wasn't a small amount.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Decent movie. I enjoyed the concept of a bigger budget Blair Witch type movie. I also enjoyed the non-traditional Hollywood ending.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I liked it. Then again it was exactly what I was expecting it to be. Was an interesting take on the giant monster movie, and it felt about as realistic as I could imagine a movie as far as how it would feel to be on the ground in that type of situation. There were a few parts that were humorous, a couple times I was startled and overall it was entertaining.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

i went to this movie feeling slightly nauseated. bad idea. we had to leave halfway through because i was so sick.

we got about an hour into it... is it worth going to see again?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Well, if it is only 80 minutes long, you probably didn't miss much.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I liked it. Then again it was exactly what I was expecting it to be. Was an interesting take on the giant monster movie, and it felt about as realistic as I could imagine a movie as far as how it would feel to be on the ground in that type of situation. There were a few parts that were humorous, a couple times I was startled and overall it was entertaining.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

miir wrote:I liked it. Then again it was exactly what I was expecting it to be. Was an interesting take on the giant monster movie, and it felt about as realistic as I could imagine a movie as far as how it would feel to be on the ground in that type of situation. There were a few parts that were humorous, a couple times I was startled and overall it was entertaining.
Do you just agree with me, or is this some schtick that I'm not up on. :?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

LOL, I was thinking the same thing Syl. I took me a few minutes to figure out where I had read that exact same thing. I thought maybe the board was representing this thread an unread in error or something.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Sylvus wrote:Do you just agree with me, or is this some schtick that I'm not up on. :?
Yes...
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

It was Miir being humorous. He's only one neckbeard!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Just saw and I liked it. Was mildly nauseus throughout but thought it was a good nail biter.
we got about an hour into it... is it worth going to see again?
I thought the ending was pretty good, but maybe you should just wait for it to come out on video. I wouldn't pay for another couple tickets just to see the last 20 minutes.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)