Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Pan's Labyrinth Trailer

Post by Fairweather Pure »

http://www.chud.com/demo/pantease.html

I've already read a few reviews on this and critics seem to absolutley love this film. It's been referred to as a film for the ages. It is apparently the type of film people will be enjoying for decades down the road because the premise is universal and timeless.

Guillermo Del Toro has said this is his greatest acheivement and is his pet project. Sure, his movies like Blade 2 and Hellboy were fluffy comic movies, but each was a well done film and I like his style a lot. I have high expectations for this even though it is only expected to recieve a limited release in theaters this winter.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I hadn't even heard of that movie, but judging by the preview it looks good. I'll have to go see that one in theatres if it makes it out anywhere near me.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Hmm, seems ok,.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Sparty
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sparty »

I saw this movie tonight. I absolutely loved it. Its basically a mix between a horribly graphic war story and a beautiful little dark fantasy. If Coppola had sexual relations with Jim Henson, this is what would be spit out.
Its not really much more dark then movies like Labyrinth, Mirrormask, or Legend, buts its much much more graphic.

Anyway, I highly recomend this movie. Especially for fans of dark fantasy's.

My name is Pan
Cracc
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cracc »

How did you see it tonight when it hits theaters the 29th? I dont think even release groups work that fast unless they got their hands on a workprint.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

There are still screenings prior to the date of release. It's generally about who you know or where you live. Many "Film Festivals" have screenings of movies before they come out as well.
Sparty
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sparty »

Well, I could lie and say that I saw a screening since I do live in the LA area. But the truth is, the movie was released in Spain quite a while back, and a DVD with Subs was leaked quite a while back =)

Anyway, great great movie. My favorite of 2006 along side Children of Men.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

I just got back from this. This is my favorite movie of 2006, hands down. Possibly one of my favorite movies that's been made in my lifetime. It incorporates certain themes from various genres of film which I've always loved, yet it's unlike anything I've seen. I enjoyed every minute of it.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I saw it and enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it's a film for the ages or anything like that, but it was interesting and provocative. I've been thinking about it for a few days, which is generally how I can tell I liked a movie. The connections between the fantasty and the reality were portrayed very well and I found it meaningful.

The only flaw I'd point out is a lack of character depth. I know that it's not a character-driven movie, but there are definitely parts where I would have felt a deeper emotional connection to the movie if I had a stronger attachment to the characters.

The two girls I was with didn't particularly like it. They complained that it was unnecessarily violent, the characters lacked depth, and the story wasn't compelling. They agreed that it was beautifully shot and involved some intriguing set pieces, but didn't seem to take much away from it beyond some interesting cinematography.
[Show]
I agree that it's unnecessarily violent at times. I don't need to watch some guys face get bashed in with a bottle, or someone's cheek getting sliced open, or whatever. Unless the graphic nature of the violence is key to the movie (like Saving Private Ryan, say), then I prefer a significant portion of it to be conducted off-screen; this crossed my threshold at times. The only point to showing much of the violence (like the bottle-bashing) seemed to be to demonstrate how evil the captain was. However, this is linked to my complaint about character depth above-- simply making him violent doesn't make him interesting. Saying "let's just make this character as fucked up as we possibly can" doesn't make for a compelling villain, it makes for a caricature.
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: BeaverButter

Post by Vaemas »

Terry Gross did a Fresh Air interview with Del Toro on January 24. I didn't get a chance to listen to the whole thing live, but what I heard was very enlightening. Here's a link to it (you can listen from here, too).

WARNING: Contains movie spoilers.

http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/r ... =storyview
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This movie is off the charts on Metacritic. It's average score is a 98 with a bunch of reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/panslabyrinth

It was a good movie. Different to be sure. I'd put this down as one of the subtitled movies to watch this year.

That 98 score is amazingly high on Metacritic. It's a strange mix of real life and fantasy.

86/100 overall rating from me
95/100 if just rating for horror/creepy/dark fantasy and for being different

This movie has some excellent gore special effects. If you are a fan of gore in graphic detail, this is the movie for you.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Terry Gross did a Fresh Air interview with Del Toro on January 24. I didn't get a chance to listen to the whole thing live, but what I heard was very enlightening. Here's a link to it (you can listen from here, too).

WARNING: Contains movie spoilers.

http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/r ... =storyview
Thanks for the link. Was a great listen.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Best film out in a long time.

Just watched it. Loved it. Incredible!
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

Saw this a couple weeks ago... fantastic flick - definitely buying
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

Watched it Saturday night. Not a bad movie but I feel like something was lost in translation. The special effects were very good but seemed to be just put in for the sake of having special effects.

I did enjoy the movie and would probably watch it again but overall I found it fairly predictable and several scenes were just not important to the movie. I.e. what was the point of watching the guy shaving all the time?
Deward
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

To show the evil look in the bastards eyes!

Also there was one of the shaving scenes that was related to the watch his father had (and how he was a cunt whereas his father was a true hero etc)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

That same mirror/table is the also the place for the one of the best scenes in the movie as, without spoiling things, he has his little mouth problem.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

8)
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

awesome double post
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

Probably what Winnow said, but I also think it has to be his obssessive orderliness and cleanliness. Everything has to be perfect, clean, pressed, polished, etc. Typical hardcore military type. I seem to remember him shining his boots in a meticulous fashion, but I could be thinkin of another movie.
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Just saw it this friday (finally came out in denmark), great movie. Although i was surprised to find it was in spanish, after seeing the trailer i thought it was in english.
Definitely a movie to own on DVD.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
a_guide
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Did you watch Pan's Labyrinth?

Post by a_guide »

No spoilers please, just wondering was it scary? I want to see it but my partner hates scary movies.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I didn't think it was scary. Disturbing at times, but not scary

You might find a little more info in the older thread: http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... hp?t=18509
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

Disturbing but not scary is right. No real jump out at ya scenes if I recall. Soem of the scary stuff is just more how it was filmed. THere are some gory parts IIRC.
Deward
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Disturbing and violent (don't forget the bottle scene!)

Scary, maybe a little if you're prone to nightmares.

I thought it was an excellent movie and I'm not into disturbing scary type movies.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Missing it would be the scary part...its truly a beautiful movie. Its gory and "in your face" at times, but overall, its very well done. Just drink your partner to sleep if they get scared.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

There is one disturbing scene and its only disturbing for about 5 seconds. It's weird because it's pretty out of character of the rest of the film.

Watch it, it's not scary, and to be put off this film because 5 seconds of it are disturbing and your partner hates scary movies (which this isn't) would be a crime.

It's a beautiful, fantastic film that you should watch if you actually like watching films in the slightest.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Pan's Labyrinth

Post by Aabidano »

Watched this last night, thought it was a great movie. The large "Not suitable for children" sign the video store had posted was deserved, there are a couple gory spots.

Good to great effects, enjoyable storyline though there are some holes. The actors are all good as well, never heard of any of them though, not surprising as it's a Spanish movie.

It's in Spanish with subtitles, a put off for some.
Last edited by Aabidano on June 27, 2007, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Pan's Labrynth

Post by Winnow »

*squawk* we need a merger on aisle 4 please! *squawk*

two other threads:

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... =labyrinth

and

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... =labyrinth

such a great search thingy at the top of the site too!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Pan's Labyrinth

Post by Aabidano »

Search only works if you spell it right :)
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Re: Pan's Labyrinth

Post by Sylvus »

Attempted merge of the 3 threads.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!