WWE Wrestler Chris Benoit - Dead

What do you think about the world?
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

WWE Wrestler Chris Benoit - Dead

Post by Moonwynd »

They found Chris Benoit, his wife and their 7 year old son dead in their suburban Atlanta home today at 2:30 PM. Police are treating it as a homicide.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/m ... ml?cnn=yes
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: WWE Wrestler Chris Benoit - Dead

Post by miir »

That's terrible. :(
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

This is horrible news. When I was into wrestling, he was one of my favs to watch.
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Waran

Post by Waran »

Latest reports is that it is a double murder homicide, which is just shocking.

He was supposed to wrestle at a Pay Per View yesterday but went home due to "personal reasons" and didn't go.

Now this happens..

Pretty much in shock here
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Waran wrote:Latest reports is that it is a double murder homicide, which is just shocking.

He was supposed to wrestle at a Pay Per View yesterday but went home due to "personal reasons" and didn't go.

Now this happens..

Pretty much in shock here

Do you mean a double murder - suicide?
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Terrible news. Now that it looks like it was a double murder suicide it's even worse. How could someone kill their own child? Sickening.
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

He was unable to make it to an event that was held last night and the WWE said it was due to "personal reasons". The preliminary autopsy findings state that he killed his wife and 7 year old son sometime over the weekend and he killed himself today.

I used to like Chris Benoit...and I would not pretend to know what demons he wrestled with that would cause him to do this...but fuck him for killing his family and depriving his 7 year old son of living out his own life.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I called it.

As soon as the initial reports said that he, his wife, and his child were dead, I immediately voiced my theory that he killed his family, then killed himself. People at work thought I was completely off base, but I stuck to my theory despite the entire office thinking I was wrong.

Q: Who would kill a wrestler and his family? A: No one but the wrestler himself.

Human nature is pretty easy to read when something morbid like this happens.

I totally called it. Tomorrow, I gloat.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

You're going to gloat over a murder/suicide?
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I called it.

As soon as the initial reports said that he, his wife, and his child were dead, I immediately voiced my theory that he killed his family, then killed himself. People at work thought I was completely off base, but I stuck to my theory despite the entire office thinking I was wrong.

Q: Who would kill a wrestler and his family? A: No one but the wrestler himself.

Human nature is pretty easy to read when something morbid like this happens.

I totally called it. Tomorrow, I gloat.

Wow. Is your ego so fragile that you need to eStroke it here? You sound like a twelve year old that got something right and can't stop talking about it ad nauseum.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I called it.
Way to call it, Rainbow Bright. Do you want a medal or a life to pin it on? It's pretty clear to the rest of us which one you need more.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Grats on you calling it!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

And what did the WWE do about it? They aired a tribute to Benoit instead of RAW. What.. The.. Fuck.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

The details / report of it being a murder / suicide was not released until after 2200. Raw aired at 2000 and the venue was already closed down due to the news of the death. If you were PR and development for a multi million dollar company, in all honesty; what would you do? I would have done exactly what they did and keep quiet about it from now on to save face. The decision to put him in the Hall of Fame is another issue for another day.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Morgrym wrote:The details / report of it being a murder / suicide was not released until after 2200. Raw aired at 2000 and the venue was already closed down due to the news of the death. If you were PR and development for a multi million dollar company, in all honesty; what would you do? I would have done exactly what they did and keep quiet about it from now on to save face. The decision to put him in the Hall of Fame is another issue for another day.
I'd go on with RAW as usual, or if that wasn't possible, play old footage... mention it and send regards out to the families... while waiting to find out what happened before I go and give anyone a tribute.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I bet a lot on stupid shit at work for no other reason than getting a free meal and being able to gloat. It's a fun tradition in my office. We bet on everything from elections to how long until the new person says "fuck" in front of us.

This is like, a week of free dinners, so I guess I am a little too excited for no real reason :) I also have a woman who is a real life wrestling fan. She was actually convinced this was some kind of publicity stunt, citing the fact that some wrestler's trailer blew up last week or some shit. Pretty soon everyone in the office had an opinion, and they were all pretty cheerful versions of what could've happened. Being the only one with a firm grasp on reality, I quickly cashed in.

Equal in importance to the actual betting is the ability to try and weasel out of the bet. For instance, I will imagine the smarter of my co workers will try and say that the fact he killed his wife and kid the day before, then sat around for awhile before shooting himself will somehow conflict with my prediction. The bastards will then try and downgrade my reward from a meal to simply a beverage of my choice or perhaps a dessert. I better have my ducks in a row when I head in there today. Those bitches have gotten pretty good at weaseling!

Morbid? Absolutely. I guess that's just how I deal with the emotional termoil I'm going through right now.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

It's actually better this way as it's likely to blow up in their faces when 'the public' finds out what's really happened, and the lifestyle in the WWE is called into question. Backlash can be a fun thing to watch. It's a shame something so horrible has to be the catalyst.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Fash wrote:
Morgrym wrote:The details / report of it being a murder / suicide was not released until after 2200. Raw aired at 2000 and the venue was already closed down due to the news of the death. If you were PR and development for a multi million dollar company, in all honesty; what would you do? I would have done exactly what they did and keep quiet about it from now on to save face. The decision to put him in the Hall of Fame is another issue for another day.
I'd go on with RAW as usual, or if that wasn't possible, play old footage... mention it and send regards out to the families... while waiting to find out what happened before I go and give anyone a tribute.
I would have had a mock funeral in the ring (complete with a coffin) and have the president of wrestling giving a eulogy. Suddenly, the Undertaker shows up to take the body away! OH NO THE CROWD DOSEN'T LIKE THAT ONE BIT! All of a sudden you have the Hulkster and Macho Man Randy Savage jump out of the rafters start kicking the Undertaker's ass! The place is going nuts by this time. Then, you have all the bad guys show up and beat the living shit out of Hulk and Randy, throwing them out of the ring, both unconscious. Will no one come to their rescue?!? OH JESUS CHRIST, IS THAT BRETT THE HITMAN HEART COMING DOWN FROM THE RAFTERS?!?! Hitman easily kicks everyone's ass until there is one man standing. The Undertaker stands alone and claims Brett's soul, defeating him utterly.

The crowd is completely in awe at the turn of events. Everyone thinks it's over. Everyone is wrong.

The Undertaker is too busy standing on the turnbuckles gloating to notice that the coffin containing the corpse of Chris Benoit is starting to open...

Tune in next week for the exciting conclusion!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

I think Fairweather is drunk with the power of coloured text. Honestly, I don't care about your comments, even if I don't 100% agree (the ringside funeral was funny tho), but I just don't understand the rainbow of colours in your first post. The use of red to emphasize the cursing in your other post was interesting tho, very Frank Miller-esque!

I would have shown a rerun of wrestling with a little message at the start saying their thoughts are with the families of the deceased.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Seriously, how could anyone pass up all those colors? It's too tempting. I'm dissappointed no one else is using them! Maybe I'll always color my text in some way or another from here on out. It could be my "thing"! Maybe I'll just color all the letter "a" in each post. Maybe I'll spell out a super secret message. Who knows? Tune in to find out!
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Dregor Thule wrote:I think Fairweather is drunk with the power of coloured text. Honestly, I don't care about your comments, even if I don't 100% agree (the ringside funeral was funny tho), but I just don't understand the rainbow of colours in your first post. The use of red to emphasize the cursing in your other post was interesting tho, very Frank Miller-esque!

I would have shown a rerun of wrestling with a little message at the start saying their thoughts are with the families of the deceased.
:vv_yeahthat:

Can we possibly disable the fucking (just for you fair) color scheme on his profile?
Timmah.

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Equal in importance to the actual betting is the ability to try and weasel out of the bet. For instance, I will imagine the smarter of my co workers will try and say that the fact he killed his wife and kid the day before, then sat around for awhile before shooting himself will somehow conflict with my prediction. The bastards will then try and downgrade my reward from a meal to simply a beverage of my choice or perhaps a dessert. I better have my ducks in a row when I head in there today. Those bitches have gotten pretty good at weaseling!
Did your bet include him shooting his family and himself? Apparently that is not what happened, but the authorities have not released any details on how they did die...just that it was bizarre.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

No idea how credible it is, but in a blog posting I just read for a guy that covers a lot of sports news (read: I haven't seen him make too many outlandish claims), the guy said that he just heard on the radio that:
Awful Announcing wrote:The details of the Benoit Family deaths are pretty grim, but I'm going to give them to you in a nutshell. The rumor/report is that WWE Star Chris Benoit gets a call from his wife and he has to leave a scheduled PPV appearance for an emergency. He comes home to find his son dead by the hands of his wife. In a fit of rage he kills his wife, and then later himself. Just terrible terrible stuff.

UPDATE: There are varying reports out there, but the above one is the latest I heard on the radio on the way in.
It's certainly nowhere close to confirmed, but possible.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Fairweather may want to cash in on those bets FAST!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111!!!!!!!!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Wow, if that's true, it's getting creepier every day.

My weaseling skills will surely be tested.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Btw, all you motherfucking bandwagon-hoppping color fags can stay away from my new board defining identity.

Color belongs to me now. I claimed it first. It's my thing. Don't dilute my rainbow majesty.

If you must try and stand out, I'll give you Bold, Underline, and Italics.

It's a fair deal IMO.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Fairweather Pure wrote:It's a fair deal IMO.

I guess the real question is:

Who asked for your opinion?

:P
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

HaHa, I know how long it took you to color that :P
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Fairweather Pure wrote:HaHa, I know how long it took you to color that :P
It didn't take too long. I just left the mouse over the boxes and hit the letter, end, click, letter, end, click :P

on topic from CNN:
A law enforcement official close to the investigation tells The Associated Press that pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son before hanging himself in his weight room.
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

That's hardly "bizzare"

Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

From TMZ.com (yeah not that reliable but CNN is confirming it)
Atlanta-based law enforcement sources have told TMZ Benoit may have strangled his wife on Saturday, then smothered his son in his bed a day later. Investigators refuse to officially comment, pending final confirmation by the coroner on the cause and time of the deaths.

One source told TMZ that Benoit was texting friends during Sunday’s WWE “Vengeance” Pay-Per-View program — possibly watching the show with his son, who may have been alive at the time.

According to sources, Benoit then hanged himself Monday in a weight room inside the family home
Timmah.

Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

"Sensational" Sherri Martel also died last week at the age of 49.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I took a quick look at his Wiki entry and saw nothing beyond wrestling and "feuds" mentioned. It's a shame for the kid involved but other than that, it was just a WWF roided up wrester and most likely a gold digger wife.

Any word from kyoukan in the past few days?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

it was just a WWF roided up wrester and most likely a gold digger wife.
I don't think he was a heavy steroid user. He's has pretty much the same physique for the past 15 years... 5'10, 220lbs is certainly not extreme... and he's not ridiculously cut and toned. He's never really shown any of the telltale signs of steroid use.

I very much doubt that his wife was a gold digger.

And besides, it's pro wrestling.... it's fake.
They aren't really dead!
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

While updating their coverage of the Benoit family tragedy, the Atlanta-Journal Constitution has posted a report that Nancy Benoit filed for divorce and an order of protection from Chris Benoit in May 2003.

Nancy Benoit alleged in the divorce petition that Chris, "lost his temper and threatened to strike the petitioner and cause extensive damage to the home and personal belongings of the parties, including furniture and furnishings. Petitioner is in reasonable fear for petitioner's own safety and that of the minor child."

This prompted the judge to issue a restraining order on Chris Benoit from entering their family home. In August 2003, his wife Nancy requested that the petition be dismissed. The couple later reconciled and celebrated Benoit’s WWE World Heavyweight Championship win at WrestleMania 20 in the ring together.

Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Should there be consequences to making those types of threats, other than a court ordered 'cool off' period?....
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

But can they be proved? In a 'my word against yours' situation what sort of real consequences would you think are valid?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna wrote:But can they be proved? In a 'my word against yours' situation what sort of real consequences would you think are valid?
death?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:It's a shame for the kid involved but other than that, it was just a WWF roided up wrester and most likely a gold digger wife.
She was involved in the wrestling business with her husband as a "Manager" for several wrestlers.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Aslanna wrote:But can they be proved? In a 'my word against yours' situation what sort of real consequences would you think are valid?
Good point... there's no real good way to determine if the bitch is crazy or making it up...

It really bothers me how people want to take people with them when they go... really, just fucking kill yourself and let everyone else go... I will never fucking understand that.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Fash wrote:
Good point... there's no real good way to determine if the bitch is crazy or making it up...

It really bothers me how people want to take people with them when they go... really, just fucking kill yourself and let everyone else go... I will never fucking understand that.
If you're going to take someone with you, take a bad guy, not an innocent.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Boogahz wrote:
death?
That makes no sense. Consequences pertaining to the accused. Unless there is proof the accuser could easily be making up things and lying.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:
Winnow wrote:It's a shame for the kid involved but other than that, it was just a WWF roided up wrester and most likely a gold digger wife.
She was involved in the wrestling business with her husband as a "Manager" for several wrestlers.

That doesn't tell me anything. WWF is known for having big titted, airheads carry the title of "manager" so they can have something for the crowd to look at in the WWF magazines.

This was his wife from what I could gather (if it doesn't red-x):

masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Steroids can do fucked up things to people's heads, especially when used for long periods, and especially when stacking two or three different types to maximize gains. Someone said he's had the same physique for 15 years. To me, that just means he's been juicing for that long.

Now you add in a golddigger who's got a hold on your wallet for 18 years (18 years for just one of yo kids) and you have a powderkeg waiting to go.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Shocker!

Police: 'Roids found at scene of Benoit murder-suicide
Wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife, suffocated his 7-year-old son and placed a Bible next to their bodies before hanging himself by the pulley of a weightlifting machine, authorities said Tuesday. Investigators also found prescription anabolic steroids in the house.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/m ... ml?cnn=yes
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

That's awesome.

One more strike against steroids. Love it.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Btw, all you motherfucking bandwagon-hoppping color fags can stay away from my new board defining identity.

Color belongs to me now. I claimed it first. It's my thing. Don't dilute my rainbow majesty.

If you must try and stand out, I'll give you Bold, Underline, and Italics.

It's a fair deal IMO.
Hate to break your heart there buddy, but in this thread I employ several colors. You don't have to read it, just scroll through and see true colors shining through... true colors...
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

You can both form up and make the new rainbow posting brigade, you can get matching belt buckles and everything
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I'm sure those steroids were for his wife or kid because no one in the WWE even uses steroids.

In that thread, Benoit was pretty much universally regarded as one of the people who for sure did not use steroids... even I said that. I'll take that back now and go back to saying that they all do. And when I say "all", of course there are an exception or two.

And on a lighter note, my new gimmick is going to be marquee.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Got this from the Bill Simmons chat yesterday: http://prowrestling.about.com/od/whatsr ... deaths.htm . The number of deaths seems extremely high to me.

edit: http://www.pwtorch.com/artman/publish/a ... 0656.shtml , I have heard rumors about his son being sick on a few news stations (my hotel only gets espn and new stations =(), though i have no idea how accurate that report is.