Gore to petition Congress to take action on Global Warming

What do you think about the world?
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Gore to petition Congress to take action on Global Warming

Post by Arborealus »

Independent of politics as a whole global warming is a huge issue. Al Gore will be presenting a petition to Congress on March, 21st. The petition is simply asking that congress take immediate action to ameliorate global warming. You can sign the petition by following the links below or by going to http://www.algore.com.
Al Gore wrote:On March 21st, I will testify before Congress on the immediate action that needs to be taken to end the climate crisis. At the hearing, I will deliver the 294,374 messages you signed, demonstrating that hundreds of thousands of people share my sense of urgency.

If an additional 55,626 people sign our message, it will be as though 350,000 of us are there at the hearing expressing our determination to convince Congress to act. Having served in the House and Senate, I can tell you that members of these committees would find this to be a meaningful and impressive show of support.

There are only 5 days left before the hearings begin, so please do not pass up this opportunity to join in showing the broad public support we need in order to solve the climate crisis. I know you have friends or family who care deeply about this issue but have yet to sign our message to Congress.

Ask them to help fill that committee room with 350,000 messages by visiting:

http://www.algore.com/cards.html

The reason Congress has so far failed to act is not because there are no solutions to the problem. Nor is it because the majority doesn't believe that the climate crisis is real. They have failed to act, because they have not yet faced a sufficient expression of political will on the part of the American people demanding they confront our climate crisis head on. You and I know that political will is a renewable resource, and enough already exists to start solving this crisis. We just have to communicate that forcefully to the political leaders of our country.

In the last two weeks alone 101,673 people visited AlGore.com and signed our message to Congress. This is an incredible demonstration of the energy behind this issue.

In my testimony, of course, I will speak about the scientific evidence for global warming - just reiterated six weeks ago by the world's scientists in the latest report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. But frankly, the debate on the science has long been over -except for a diminishing number of skeptics and deniers.

At this point, it is far more important to deliver your message about the urgency with which this crisis must be faced. Political leaders need to know that you intend to reward those who do the right thing and that you will work to replace those who do not.

That's why it's vital we fill up the hearing room with 350,000 messages.

Please ask your friends to sign our message to Congress today by visiting:

Together we are building a movement that has the potential to translate your strong feelings into effective change for our country. And we all know that when the United States changes - and offers leadership - the entire world will follow.
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Gore to petition Congress to take action on Global Warmi

Post by Cartalas »

Arborealus wrote:Independent of politics as a whole global warming is a huge issue. Al Gore will be presenting a petition to Congress on March, 21st. The petition is simply asking that congress take immediate action to ameliorate global warming. You can sign the petition by following the links below or by going to http://www.algore.com.
Al Gore wrote:On March 21st, I will testify before Congress on the immediate action that needs to be taken to end the climate crisis. At the hearing, I will deliver the 294,374 messages you signed, demonstrating that hundreds of thousands of people share my sense of urgency.

If an additional 55,626 people sign our message, it will be as though 350,000 of us are there at the hearing expressing our determination to convince Congress to act. Having served in the House and Senate, I can tell you that members of these committees would find this to be a meaningful and impressive show of support.

There are only 5 days left before the hearings begin, so please do not pass up this opportunity to join in showing the broad public support we need in order to solve the climate crisis. I know you have friends or family who care deeply about this issue but have yet to sign our message to Congress.

Ask them to help fill that committee room with 350,000 messages by visiting:

The reason Congress has so far failed to act is not because there are no solutions to the problem. Nor is it because the majority doesn't believe that the climate crisis is real. They have failed to act, because they have not yet faced a sufficient expression of political will on the part of the American people demanding they confront our climate crisis head on. You and I know that political will is a renewable resource, and enough already exists to start solving this crisis. We just have to communicate that forcefully to the political leaders of our country.

In the last two weeks alone 101,673 people visited AlGore.com and signed our message to Congress. This is an incredible demonstration of the energy behind this issue.

In my testimony, of course, I will speak about the scientific evidence for global warming - just reiterated six weeks ago by the world's scientists in the latest report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. But frankly, the debate on the science has long been over -except for a diminishing number of skeptics and deniers.

At this point, it is far more important to deliver your message about the urgency with which this crisis must be faced. Political leaders need to know that you intend to reward those who do the right thing and that you will work to replace those who do not.

That's why it's vital we fill up the hearing room with 350,000 messages.

Please ask your friends to sign our message to Congress today by visiting:

Together we are building a movement that has the potential to translate your strong feelings into effective change for our country. And we all know that when the United States changes - and offers leadership - the entire world will follow.

Do me a favor, Tell Mr. Gore to make sure to run that petition through China.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

seriously, what climate crisis?
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Spang wrote:seriously, what climate crisis?
http://www.ipcc.ch/
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Cartalas wrote:Do me a favor, Tell Mr. Gore to make sure to run that petition through China.
He has...thx
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Can any of that be summed up in a paragraph or something?

I'm not trying to be lazy but none of that makes any sense to me.

The Earth is becoming warmer, ice is melting and sea levels are rising, right?
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Spang wrote:Can any of that be summed up in a paragraph or something?

I'm not trying to be lazy but none of that makes any sense to me.

The Earth is becoming warmer, ice is melting and sea levels are rising, right?
Billions of people will suffer water shortages and the number of hungry will grow by hundreds of millions by 2080 as global temperatures rise, scientists warn in a new report.

The report estimates that between 1.1 billion and 3.2 billion people will be suffering from water scarcity problems by 2080 and between 200 million and 600 million more people will be going hungry.
Sea Level changes in the IPCC report are already outdated CSIRO (Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation) released a report monday, saying that changes in Sea Level within 100 years are more likely to be in the tens of meters...So you know add 30 feet to every body of water around you for a rough impact assessment...

Here are a series of Q&A PDFs summarizing some data written for non-scientists...These don't include this weeks reasearch results from CSIRO...

http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/science/ho ... index.html

You will notice I use CSIRO's data a lot...I have a couple friends directly involved in their research in Hobart, Tasmania. I have a very high degree of confidence in their data as I get summaries first hand.
Last edited by Arborealus on March 17, 2007, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Is there some way to stop Global Warming while also preventing another Ice Age?

Seems to me a person will starve to death in either scenerio.

I take it that report has solutions to both scenerios?

*edit* posted before the additional Q&A link
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Arborealus wrote:
Cartalas wrote:Do me a favor, Tell Mr. Gore to make sure to run that petition through China.
He has...thx
Did he invent China?
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

So much information on global warming is based on junk science and shrill environmentalist groups that I refuse to take much of it seriously. The exact same "climate experts" that were screaming about how the earth was heading towards another ice age in the 1970's and 80's are the same ones that are saying that now were heating up the earth once their old theory was disproven with credible research.

Not that I don't agree that humans should and could pollute less, but my reasons are more pragmatic than that. I just think we can be less dirty. It's pretty sad when fucking China has more stringent emission standards than we do, and the rate that our industries dump toxic waste into the environment to save a few dollars is criminal.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

kyoukan wrote:So much information on global warming is based on junk science and shrill environmentalist groups that I refuse to take much of it seriously. The exact same "climate experts" that were screaming about how the earth was heading towards another ice age in the 1970's and 80's are the same ones that are saying that now were heating up the earth once their old theory was disproven with credible research.
I am referring to is pretty conservative non-alarmist science of the sort published in Science and Scientific American not pamphlet hand outs from hemp wearing idiots looking for any cause. And the scientists are pretty alarmed by their best case data. The current models are pretty good thanks to the availability of supercomputers, satellite thermal imaging, and satellite sea level measuring. We also have a much better grasp on Milankovich cycles now thanks to antarctic deep core data.

Look at the mean temperature data trends for the last half million years. It is quite straightforward.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Here are NOAA's estimates for the 2050's:

image courtesy NOAA
GFDL CM2.1 model-simulated change in seasonal mean surface air temperature from the late 20th century (1971-2000 average) to the middle 21st century (2051-2060). The left panel shows changes for June July August (JJA) seasonal averages, and the right panel shows changes for December January February (DJF). The simulated surface air temperature changes are in response to increasing greenhouse gases and aerosols based on a "middle of the road" estimate of future emissions.
source: http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2007/s2787.htm
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Arborealus wrote:Here are NOAA's estimates for the 2050's:

image courtesy NOAA
GFDL CM2.1 model-simulated change in seasonal mean surface air temperature from the late 20th century (1971-2000 average) to the middle 21st century (2051-2060). The left panel shows changes for June July August (JJA) seasonal averages, and the right panel shows changes for December January February (DJF). The simulated surface air temperature changes are in response to increasing greenhouse gases and aerosols based on a "middle of the road" estimate of future emissions.
source: http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2007/s2787.htm

Woot , I think Ill start my car an extra 15 min in the morning to try to bump that to 2035 whos all with me.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

If they can halt the increasing tempratures of the Earth while also preventing an Ice Age, I'm all for it. If saving the environment means I'll have to freeze my nuts off, they can go fuck themselves.
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

20 years ago they said if we didn't change our ways there would be global warming. The naysayers said nay and insisted we don't need to change our ways.

15 years ago they said "look, global warming!" and the naysayers refused to believe and insisted we don't need to change our ways.

10 years go the naysayers finally believed warming was taking place but insisted it was natural and insisted we don't need to change our ways.

5 years ago evidence was presented that man was having an effect on climate change. The naysayers said it was too expensive to fix things and insisted we don't need to change our ways.

And now there's no point doing anything anyway cos of China, they said and insisted we don't need to change our ways.

I'm still of the opinion that reducing our profligate waste of fossil fuels is a good thing to do. Even if China ignores it, everyone else doing so will be a benefit even if it only slows the rate of change.

And as info, the ice age they were predicting in the 70s was due to be triggered by global warming. Melt the ice caps -> dilute the salinity of the Atlantic -> stop the Atlantic Conveyor current -> Stops the gulf stream -> Hello frigid northern hemisphere and several centuries of knock-on effects from that.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I'll come back and post on this thread THE DAY AFTER TOMARROW.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

So if we keep it up, Europe will be locked in ice? Awesome!
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Total Signatures 519,414 as of his presentation yesterday morning.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

\o/
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

:evil: fucking double post
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

kyoukan wrote:So much information on global warming is based on junk science and shrill environmentalist groups that I refuse to take much of it seriously. The exact same "climate experts" that were screaming about how the earth was heading towards another ice age in the 1970's and 80's are the same ones that are saying that now were heating up the earth once their old theory was disproven with credible research.

Not that I don't agree that humans should and could pollute less, but my reasons are more pragmatic than that. I just think we can be less dirty. It's pretty sad when fucking China has more stringent emission standards than we do, and the rate that our industries dump toxic waste into the environment to save a few dollars is criminal.
A lot of the louder voices are indeed just a step away from eating their own feces and living on the Jesus ranch, but a lot of the deniers are just as bad. Bjørn Lomborg, the guy who wrote The Skeptical Environmentalist, is one of them. The publications of the Environmental Assessment Institute are 90% bollocks. And someone this influential in this field would of course have a background in meteorology, biology, geology, right?

Nope. He's a polisci major and works as a lecturer in statistics at a business school.

I hate he in face.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I think it's cute that we think we can stop Earth's natural cycles from going on as they always have. Fact of the matter is, eventually something will happen and we will have another ice age. Yes, what we are doing might be speeding it up by a couple hundred years (hell even a thousand for arguments sake) but do you honestly think that is significant in the grand scheme of things? I sure don't, but I guess we'll see.

I also would like to add that I think it is well beyond pathetic that Gore is making this the thing everyone knows about him.... What an important focal point. But then again Gore is an absolute moron, and I really hope he runs for president so I can see him lose.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Funkmasterr wrote:I think it's cute that we think we can stop Earth's natural cycles from going on as they always have. Fact of the matter is, eventually something will happen and we will have another ice age. Yes, what we are doing might be speeding it up by a couple hundred years (hell even a thousand for arguments sake) but do you honestly think that is significant in the grand scheme of things? I sure don't, but I guess we'll see.

I also would like to add that I think it is well beyond pathetic that Gore is making this the thing everyone knows about him.... What an important focal point. But then again Gore is an absolute moron, and I really hope he runs for president so I can see him lose.
I think that man's effect on the world is immense, and I think it's almost impossible to underestimate. And I think that *any* day of the week, safe is better than sorry. Considering how we're already doing on fossile fuels, I think that focusing on "greener" energy sources, looking to reduce the footprint of humanity on the planet and generally being environmentally conscious is a *good* thing. YMMV, but considering your trackrecord I doubt you get much more than a couple to the gallon.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Funkmasterr wrote:I think it's cute that we think we can stop Earth's natural cycles from going on as they always have. Fact of the matter is, eventually something will happen and we will have another ice age. Yes, what we are doing might be speeding it up by a couple hundred years (hell even a thousand for arguments sake) but do you honestly think that is significant in the grand scheme of things? I sure don't, but I guess we'll see.
So as long as it doesn't hurt you, you don't much give a fuck.
Funkmasterr wrote:I also would like to add that I think it is well beyond pathetic that Gore is making this the thing everyone knows about him.... What an important focal point. But then again Gore is an absolute moron, and I really hope he runs for president so I can see him lose.
Because nobody would want to be known as someone giving up their own personal time to make the world a better place for everyone else.

You're really beginning to reach the official Midnyte and Cartalas level of stupidity.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Nah, Midnyte can be reasonable on occasion when he isn't just in troll mode. Cartalas is the official say nothing but insults troll (valuable to any forum!) but Funk....Funk really seems to believe the shit he spews.

It's hilarious to watch.