Anyone help me with this mechanical problem?

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Anyone help me with this mechanical problem?

Post by Kryshade »

Hoping someone can help me with this that may know a good bit about cars/trucks.

I have a 1996 Chevy S10, 2.2L, 4 cylinder, manual transmission, 57,000 miles. It ran like a dream until recently.

The problem I have is once the truck warms up. (rarely ever happens when cold, or when truck has sat for a day or two)

When shifting between 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th, the truck will bog down and then lurch forward. This seems to only happen just after shifting gears, and only while first accelerating in that gear. It never happens in 1st or 5th gear either. I replaced the spark plugs and spark plug wires. After replacing the wires the truck ran fine for about 2 weeks, but now it's back to doing it on a regular basis. I tried using some fuel system cleaner thinking maybe my injectors are clogged up, but it didn't seem to help. Is this a transmission or fuel system issue or something else? What can I do to test and/or fix this? I'm really hoping it's something simple and inexpensive! Thanks for any and all help with this!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Preface: I know jack and shit about cars.

Possibly the fuel filter?
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

First of all, how the hell do you have a car for 10+ years now and only have 57k miles on it?

Second, there was a recall on 96 chevy s10's for a transmission problem. But it only affected like 24k vehicles or so. Have you taken it in for all it's recall fixes (there are quite a few I found on search).

Assuming it only has 57k miles on it, and that wasn't a typo. Have you had the fluids replaced recently? Fluilds (oil, transmission, brake, etc.) are supposed to be changed either at a certain mileage, or a certain date, whichever comes first. In a low mileage situation, I could imagine a vehicle having some very old oil in it, but still be within mileage.

Last, it's pretty hard to say with the information given. I did a little searching, but couldn't come up with much in what was essentially a needle in a haystack situation.

Have you noticed any noises (like vacuum hoses that are disconnected)? Are there any leaks? You say it ran great until recently. When exactly is recently? Was there anything noticeable that changed around that time? Has the car ever been wrecked?

Disclaimer. I'm not a professional automobile technician. (just covering my ass)
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Most problems like that are pressure related. Things to check:

1.) Fuel Line and Filter
2.) Exhaust (Looking at the catalytic converter here)
3.) Vacuum hoses

Backpressure from the exhaust can cause weird symptoms like "lurching" at lower RPM's. If the backpressure is off, bam, you get not enough oxygen to complete a proper explosion in the engine.

If the car is that old, its possible your catalytic converter is muffed. Hit it with a screw driver handle and listen for rattleling. If the honeycombs are falling apart, they tend to congregate and semi clog at the rear of the converter.

Its one possiblity among many, but the age of the vehicle makes me suspect it first.
Zver
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Zver »

i had a somewhat similar problem on my Mustang - bad H2O sensors.