Gran Turismo HD

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Gran Turismo HD

Post by kyoukan »

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/movie/d483.html
http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/movie/d485.html

Everyone interested in racing games needs to download the 720p videos. This shit is the sickest graphics I've ever seen. A trial is coming out as a free download in the PS3 store tomorrow with 10 cars (plus 10 tuned versions of those cars) and some tracks.
PLAYSTATION(R)Store Offers Gran Turismo(TM) HD Concept Free for PLAYSTATION(R)3 Owners This Holiday Season

World's Most Popular Driving Videogame Franchise Available in Full HD

Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) announced today the December 24 North American release of Gran Turismo(TM)HD Concept, available for free download, exclusively on the PLAYSTATION(R)Store (PS Store) for the PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) computer entertainment system. Developed by Polyphony Digital Inc., this driving game features an all-new course for players to be the first to drive a Ferrari on a PS3, as well as have the option to select a car from nine other worldwide manufacturers that include Infiniti, Lotus, Mitsubishi, Nissan and Suzuki. Available only for a limited time, Gran Turismo HD Concept takes full advantage of the PS3 PLAYSTATION 3 hardware performance by providing full HD 1080p resolution and next-generation car physics ushering in a new era of racing for the gaming industry.

"Gran Turismo HD Concept provides PS3 and automotive fans a glimpse into the future of Gran Turismo," states Kazunori Yamauchi, famed creator of the Gran Turismo franchise. "With the power of the PS3 technology, the world of Gran Turismo is refined by its full HD visual presentation and unique interactive experience, resulting in an even more realistic and true driving simulator."

Upon downloading Gran Turismo HD Concept, PS3 users have access to the Eiger Nordwand course and can compete in Time Trial races to collect and unlock new cars. Upon unlocking the initial 10 cars, the player has access to 10 more "Tuned Cars," as well as access to a new driving mode called "Drift Trial."

In the "Drift Trial" mode, the player can master the art of drifting and achieve ultimate control of their car. Furthermore, when connected to the PLAYSTATION(R)Network (PS Network), the player can upload their times and view the Top 10 rankings for each car and mode, as well as play and save replays online.

Featured Automobiles in Gran Turismo HD Concept (Year, Manufacturer, Model)

In order of appearance in game (available in stock and "tuned" versions):

-- 1995 Suzuki Cappucino
-- 1989 Mazda Eunos Roadster
-- 2004 Honda Integra TYPE R
-- 1996 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR
-- 2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe
-- 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR
-- 2005 Lotus Elise 111R
-- 1994 Nissan SKYLINE GT-R Vspec II
-- 1995 Toyota Celica GT-FOUR Rally Car
-- 2006 Ferrari 599

Additional Information About The Game Modes in Gran Turismo HD Concept In "Time Trial" mode, the player selects a car and must complete the Eiger Nordwand course within the target time indicated at the top of the screen. Each time the player beats the target time, a new car is unlocked and made available for selection. As stated, upon unlocking all of the cars, the player can access tuned cars, along with the option to race Eiger Nordwand in the opposite direction.

In "Drift Trial" mode, the player's drifting technique is tested, rather than their lap time. The player earns drift points based on their drift angles, racing lines, and speeds within evaluation zones located at various turns on the course. For each evaluation zone, the results are based on the number of flags and a numerical figure. The point total from all zones determines the player's drift points for the lap and is counted toward the rankings.

The following settings are available during gameplay: 1) Transmission -- the player can select either Manual or Automatic. 2) Stability Management (SM) -- the player can turn this ON or OFF during gameplay. ASM is designed to prevent vehicle skidding by controlling each of the four wheel brakes independently. 3) Traction Control (TC) Level -- the player can set the TCS level, which senses drive-wheel slip and prevents wheel spin. 4) Tires -- the player can select front and rear tires from nine types of brands.
Sparty
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sparty »

The game looks great. The thing im most impressed with is the lighting. Ive played most of the gran turismo games, but for the life of me I cant remember, are you able to race a track at night? If so, very curious to see how the game holds up at night.
I know a big problem we have at 2k is that we have to set up a lighting system that compliments both day and night, which more often then not causes tons of headaches. Just this week I had a couple 14 hour days where I was basically fixing textures that look fine in our engine during the day, but get blown out at night.
Anyway, im ranting, the game looks damn nice. Cant wait to try it.
My name is Sparty
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I cant remember, are you able to race a track at night? If so, very curious to see how the game holds up at night.
The Japan tracks (Rte 245 [I think it's called], Special Stage 11, etc) in GT were always sort of night races. I'd say they were night races that didn't need headlights.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I read that the demand for downloading this thing knocked the PSN on it's ass. Any truth to this?
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I dunno. I downloaded it on the 24th in about 5 minutes. Playstation store is pretty awful though. Well, I suppose its better than XBox Live Marketplace in functionality, but it is basically a standard point of sale webpage so it is harder to navigate with a controller than marketplace because you have to be so accurate with your clicking. I think you can use a USB mouse, but I haven't tried it. I used a keyboard to register an account and shit tho.

It has been down a couple of times I tried to access it. It's possible that 100k people getting a PS3 for xmas and all trying to DL it at once knocked them out. Fortunately those kinds of things are easy to solve with more servers.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

kyoukan wrote:I dunno. I downloaded it on the 24th in about 5 minutes. Playstation store is pretty awful though. Well, I suppose its better than XBox Live Marketplace in functionality, but it is basically a standard point of sale webpage so it is harder to navigate with a controller than marketplace because you have to be so accurate with your clicking. I think you can use a USB mouse, but I haven't tried it. I used a keyboard to register an account and shit tho.

It has been down a couple of times I tried to access it. It's possible that 100k people getting a PS3 for xmas and all trying to DL it at once knocked them out. Fortunately those kinds of things are easy to solve with more servers.
I haven't heard much about the PlayStation Market really. What added functionality does it offer over XB Marketplace? Is it just a wider selection of stuff than what is available on Live (ie more than just demos, DLC and Pictures/themes)?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Well, I guess I'm gonna have to get a PS3 now.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

kyoukan wrote:I dunno. I downloaded it on the 24th in about 5 minutes. Playstation store is pretty awful though. Well, I suppose its better than XBox Live Marketplace in functionality, but it is basically a standard point of sale webpage so it is harder to navigate with a controller than marketplace because you have to be so accurate with your clicking. I think you can use a USB mouse, but I haven't tried it. I used a keyboard to register an account and shit tho.

You would be the only person I have heard say the PS3 online store is better then XBL Marketplace. I have seen both, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that XBL is better in every way.
lmnt9
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by lmnt9 »

Ummm... I'm sold. GT was the single reason I ever purchased a PS1 and 2. I checked out NFS:Carbon over the weekend on an Xbox360 and was pretty impressed, but my decision has been made. Wow.
lmnt9
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by lmnt9 »

I'd be interested in seeing what happend when you plow into a corner full of spectators.

I always loved Carmageddon...
lmnt9
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by lmnt9 »

Leonaerd wrote:
I cant remember, are you able to race a track at night? If so, very curious to see how the game holds up at night.
The Japan tracks (Rte 245 [I think it's called], Special Stage 11, etc) in GT were always sort of night races. I'd say they were night races that didn't need headlights.
Yes I remember them being run through a cityscape at night.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It needs to vary the spectators a bit more, I kept seeing the same dude with the shorts, hat and vest with t-shirt underneath. perhaps limitations on textures prevented more than a handful of unique spectators. I liked the greenery and "Swiss Alps" setting. There's been too many desert or city settings lately in racing games.

Interesting that the poster here says Sony's marketplace is better than XBox Live's. That's the same poster than said Resistance looked as good as Gears of War, which is also the only place I've seen someone say that on any level...gameplay, visuals, audio, etc.

On another note, some are starting to mention that the games you want to see on the PS3 (Final Fantasy XIII and Metal Gear Solid 4) may not even make it out in 2007. While the PS3 will eventually have games to compete with the 360, a "proof of concept release" isn't much to go on for the next year. It's going to get downright ugly if Sony can't get a major release out the door by Xmas 2007. To the 360's credit, it only took about six months before the decent games began to flow on a regular basis and there's a monster lineup of original games on tap for 2007.

Early 2008 is looking like the time to buy a PS3, if the games make it out by early 2008, the price of the PS3 should be a little more reasonable as well and if lucky, a redesigned PS3 v2 motherboard to fix the bluetooth/wi fi issues.

Not to ignore the 360, the new 65nm CPU for it should be in consoles by mid 2007, making it a cooler/quieter machine.

Vanguard needs to use Grand Turismo HD's backgrounds and use them
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'd be very surprised if Sony lowered the price on the PS3 by the end of next year (or early 2008). If anything it would be $50 or less off what it currently is.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Funkmasterr wrote:You would be the only person I have heard say the PS3 online store is better then XBL Marketplace. I have seen both, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that XBL is better in every way.
yeah there is nothing easier or more convenient that XBLM's sorting through lists of hundreds of titles and waiting for it to load each one while you're scrolling through it and having to drill down on sub categories and sift through billions of worthless crap in a game category to find something worth downloading or buying.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

wow look, winnow is shitting on another ps3 thread with his console penis envy.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

It needs to vary the spectators a bit more, I kept seeing the same dude with the shorts, hat and vest with t-shirt underneath. perhaps limitations on textures prevented more than a handful of unique spectators. I liked the greenery and "Swiss Alps" setting. There's been too many desert or city settings lately in racing games.
Are you fucking serious?

So the camber and body roll of the cars didn't impress you?
The absolutely flawless physics?
The interior driver animations?
The dynamic rubber marks on the tarmac?
The lightsourcing and photorealistic reflections on the cars?

One frame I can see 27 unique spectator textures.
On another note, some are starting to mention that the games you want to see on the PS3 (Final Fantasy XIII and Metal Gear Solid 4) may not even make it out in 2007. While the PS3 will eventually have games to compete with the 360, a "proof of concept release" isn't much to go on for the next year. It's going to get downright ugly if Sony can't get a major release out the door by Xmas 2007. To the 360's credit, it only took about six months before the decent games began to flow on a regular basis and there's a monster lineup of original games on tap for 2007.

Early 2008 is looking like the time to buy a PS3, if the games make it out by early 2008, the price of the PS3 should be a little more reasonable as well and if lucky, a redesigned PS3 v2 motherboard to fix the bluetooth/wi fi issues.
Why would anyone even listen to anything you have to say about the PS3... or any console other than the 360, for that matter...

The negative shit you constantly spew about the PS3 has been proven wrong, time and time again.

Give it a rest, Winnow.
We get it, you're a 360 fanboy and you don't like the PS3.

It's like me criticizing WOW... eveyone knows I don't like the game but I don't faggot up every single thread in the WOW forum like you faggot up every single PS3 thread.

You're like a broken fucking record that nobody listened to in the first place.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote: The negative shit you constantly spew about the PS3 has been proven wrong, time and time again.
It has?

Oh, and the "The dynamic rubber marks on the tarmac" fucking rock. I missed that. Thanks.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

It has?
I've often wondered if you actually read the crap that you post.
I guess you don't.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Oh, and the "The dynamic rubber marks on the tarmac" fucking rock. I missed that. Thanks
I guess you don't bother to steal racing games.

People who actually enjoy and pay for racing games appreciate things like physics and dynamic track environments. Backgrounds and spectators are pretty unimportant.

When driving a circuit areas where heavy braking occurs will have noticeable rubber on the track. Areas where there are dips or ridges will also have visible rubber.
These things add greatly to the realism and immersion in a driving game as you can judge your racing line and braking/acceleration zones from what you see on the track.

But you probably already knew all of that.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
It has?
I've often wondered if you actually read the crap that you post.
I guess you don't.
Yet another diverting non response. What's been proven wrong?

And if you haven't noticed rubber marks on previous console games, you need to have your eyes checked. Even Riiiiiiidge Racer has them.
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Janx

Post by Janx »

And still no damage modeling eh. Getting old GT..getting old.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Janx wrote:And still no damage modeling eh. Getting old GT..getting old.
it is kind of stupid, but some car manufacturers will not liscense their cars to a game publisher if they are going to wreck them. this is why most games use either drop brands and use only american cars or just use generic look alikes. it has nothing to do with lack of effort.

my biggest gripe about gt games have always been how they bounce off walls and other cars.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

kyoukan wrote:
it is kind of stupid, but some car manufacturers will not liscense their cars to a game publisher if they are going to wreck them. this is why most games use either drop brands and use only american cars or just use generic look alikes. it has nothing to do with lack of effort.

my biggest gripe about gt games have always been how they bounce off walls and other cars.
Or the fact that every GT game is the same tracks, cars, game modes recycled with a little better graphics each time??

Oh and Kooky - I have only had a list still populate as I am scrolling down through stuff one time. I think that XBL is set up about as good as you can get it, a 4 year old could navigate through it and find what they are looking for.
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Janx

Post by Janx »

kyoukan wrote:

Thats my feelings exactly. If I go 200mph into a freaking wall, my car should EXPLODE/Shatter into little bits. not bounce off ;( For a game thats always titled itself "real driving simulator", its far from it in a major area.