Handy tips for today

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Handy tips for today

Post by miir »

Ripped from EQ2 forums:
If you are using a Custom UI you should delete it and remove from your eq2.ini file. If your custom UI did not get updated for EoF, you will probably crash after. Check your UI page (or http://www.eq2interface.com) for EoF updated version of your UI

Don't forget to update your EQ2MAP. New zones comes with maps, and if you don't update your eq2map, you will not be able to see new zones. EQ2MAP new files cover that.

If you have purchased EoF, expect a download between 1.6 GB to 2.0 GB. So it may take a bit long than you expect. If you did not buy it yet, you can still expect about 200 MB's (might be lower) of download due to many changes in rest of the world.

While first day of expansion generally crowded as hell, you may try to refrain from visiting crowded places, however, with new outdoor instance zones of EoF, we will not be seeing thousands of people in one zone and crash.

Travel to Faydwer is through boats, boats are located in Nektulos Forest and Thunderring Steppes docks. You might have to wait a few minutes for boats and some travel length, but it is not as boring as waiting 5 minutes doing nothing at spires. Enjoy the sight. Destination is Butcherblock Mountains Docks.

If you want directly hit to Kelethin and Greater Faydark, take NE road over Butcherblock Mountains, be careful of high places...

Don't jump from Butcherblock Mountains to down towards docks, because even with 350 safe fall you are toast (Kelethin is safe tho )

When you see your stats, don't gasp much. Big changes happened. So try your combat before boards.

Don't give peanuts to Fae, they are just kids (and bring anti-insect meds because some can be annoying shouting in zone 'Aww scho schweet' type like a broken record makes me want to go to PVP server for carnage)

And tonight, for last time, hug your horses and take your screenshots, this is last time you see them as they were.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fenna
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fenna »

Man, I would add to that "start your patching in the morning before work." I was dumb enough to forget that.

I bought the DVD and installed it, but my patch went quickly from 7 minutes to 6 hours. I imagine thousands of other folks made the same mistake and are as frustrated as I am. Looks like I'll be logging on tomorrow night.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

I picked it up at lunch and started patching, had about an hour and a half left when I went back to work but I came home to find my computer offline because my CAT had stepped on the surge protector... no idea how long I'm going to have to wait, doing a thorough file scan now...

Marb
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Yeah. I forgot to patch before work. 6 hours after getting home, it's almost ready to go!
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Well, it stopped nearly at the end and now I can't get the updater to initialize, so either I'm messed up somehow, or (more likely) their server is screwed. Sad to see this still happens on launch days.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Mine's chugging away.
Started it after work and it's nearly done.

Apparently they weren't anticipating this much interest/demand for EOF.
Fenna
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fenna »

As an update, my initial patch completed and I was presented with the "Play" option. Instead of doing that, I restarted and realized I had yet to register the expansion. After registering, I chose to do a complete file scan (assuming I wouldn't need too much, but I'm a completist).

That was an hour ago. I'm at 2 hours left, and headed for bed.

FYI: I noticed my installer was stalled on a file, with no progress. I chose to cancel and then download again, and it resumed. It was still slow, but better than nothing.
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

I bought EQII-EOF today on a whim. I have an estimated 16 hours to go of downloads before I can play (2.5 hours into it so far). This is A+ new customer experience ;)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

archeiron wrote:I bought EQII-EOF today on a whim. I have an estimated 16 hours to go of downloads before I can play (2.5 hours into it so far). This is A+ new customer experience ;)
Yeah, when I started the download, it said 743 hours.
The patch servers took a real beating tonight when the PST players came on. I was getting a very good download speed until around 9 est.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

we-ell! I guess I won't bother with the expansion until I'm planning on going out of town for a weekend! Maybe I'll give it a couple weeks for the craze to ebb.
If you want directly hit to Kelethin and Greater Faydark, take NE road over Butcherblock Mountains, be careful of high places...
Just seeing the names of the old zones where I started EQ1 kind of makes me excited. It seemed like I spent ages in Greater Faydark when EQ1 released and I remember the very first time I zoned into Butcherblock.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Does anyone really expect speedy downloads when a million people are all hammering the server for it at once? One of my machines stopped the download after the other finished.....so I copied it over with a USB drive and all was right in the world. In the good old days, someone would always get the downloads onto an FTP server for all their friends since it was much faster that way.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

we-ell! I guess I won't bother with the expansion until I'm planning on going out of town for a weekend! Maybe I'll give it a couple weeks for the craze to ebb
No need to wait.

Once I got the updates downloaded, it was smooth as could be.
I started a noob fairy thinking GFay would be packed, laggy and unbearable but it was everything but. There were multiple instances of the zone running, minimal competition for mobs and no lag at all. 100 players per instance in a zone the size of GFay is fine.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Mine ended up taking only about 20 more minutes but it did hang on a file, I just restarted everything and it finished up and I had a "PLAY" by time I was done with dinner.

Yea GFay is so big they could probably go 150 but it's nice not having to wait on MOBs... still have nightmares about LGuk pre Kunark.

I started a Dirge Fae, kind of fun so far but will probably continue to focus on my Necro and Monk primarily.

I hope with this expansion more people give EQ2 a try, I may have to pick up Burning Crusade just to see it but I haven't played WoW in almost 2 years, from my experience EQ2 is now far superior, there is just so much more to do while at the same times they have made it much easier and WoW like for the newbs.

Marb
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

archeiron wrote:I bought EQII-EOF today on a whim. I have an estimated 16 hours to go of downloads before I can play (2.5 hours into it so far). This is A+ new customer experience ;)
That's all part of the EQ experience! :twisted:

---

I remember people calling in sick, planning vacation days, etc when new EQ expansions came out (and when the original game was released). They turned into wasted days of frustration.

I would have been in the same boat for the original release but had something going on at work I couldn't ditch!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Marbus wrote:
I hope with this expansion more people give EQ2 a try, I may have to pick up Burning Crusade just to see it but I haven't played WoW in almost 2 years, from my experience EQ2 is now far superior, there is just so much more to do while at the same times they have made it much easier and WoW like for the newbs.

Marb
I've had almost exactly the opposite experience ><
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.