Carly on 60 Minutes...

What do you think about the world?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Carly on 60 Minutes...

Post by masteen »

This stupid bitch, as CFO of Lucent, gets the company into a debt load that could only be sustained by the incredible market growth seen during the bubble years. The company tanks, and her reward is to be made CEO of HP, which she then proceeds to ruin through her trademark brand of piss poor financial management.

And 60 Minutes gives her a sympathetic interview as if she's some kind of fucking VICTIM. There was no conspiracy of the phallocracy; she's just really bad at her job. If she didn't have a goddamn vagina, she'd be a punchline on Wall Street, not on television. I hate the fucking media.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

What specifically did she do to make her bad at her job?
Animale
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Animale »

I thought that the retrospectual view was that she kind of saved HP for the long-term (i.e. they would be completely bankrupt now instead of in the black) with her moves and that it would have failed if she hadn't of done the Compaq thing. Maybe I'm reading the wrong newspapers here in San Francisco though.

Animale
Animale Vicioso
64 Gnome Enchanter
<retired>
60 Undead Mage
Hyjal <retired>
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Animale wrote:Maybe I'm reading the wrong newspapers here in San Francisco though.
Probably not misogynistic enough? Try perusing the Get Back In the Kitchen Gazette, or Where's My Dinner Post Intelligencer. Masteen can probably recommend you some others.
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Al »

Where's My Dinner is a great daily read! I give it 2 belts up!!
Hoarmurath
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Hoarmurath »

It's okay kyoukan, you don't have to stand up for every woman's reputation. I'm not sure how misogyny had anything to do with it, unless you mean that women can do no wrong, and if anyone ever thinks they did wrong, they are just woman-haters.

Carly Fiorina had a very ambitious plan, and her failure to see her plans realized is just as much the fault of HP's board of directors as it is hers. It's not like HP didn't know what they may be getting themselves into when they hired her. It was a risk that could have paid off very well. It was either going to be a spectacular success or a dismal failure. Now that it appears to have been a failure, everyone wants to assign blame away from themselves. This would have happened to whoever was the CEO, it's not just because she is a woman.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I can only speak as a business customer of HP(Servers and Desktops are HP only) but since Carly left, they've obviously made cuts in their support operations because service isn't nearly as good as when she was there.

Getting support then was easy. Attempting then to RMA a peice now is like pulling teeth and you havta humor the dude on the phone while he goes through all his troubleshooting scripts.

What used to be a 10-15 min call with wait time is now a 45-60 minute ordeal.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I have nothing against successful business women. I've had a couple great female bosses.

Carly isn't exempt from criticism because of her gender. There are many other better candidates to look up to:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/ ... omen/2006/

-------------------
I am woman, hear me roar
In numbers too big to ignore
And I know too much to go back an' pretend
'cause I've heard it all before
And I've been down there on the floor
No one's ever gonna keep me down again

CHORUS
Oh yes I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to, I can do anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman

You can bend but never break me
'cause it only serves to make me
More determined to achieve my final goal
And I come back even stronger
Not a novice any longer
'cause you've deepened the conviction in my soul

CHORUS

I am woman watch me grow
See me standing toe to toe
As I spread my lovin' arms across the land
But I'm still an embryo
With a long long way to go
Until I make my brother understand

Oh yes I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to I can face anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman
Oh, I am woman
I am invincible
I am strong

FADE
I am woman
I am invincible
I am strong
I am woman
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

kyoukan wrote:What specifically did she do to make her bad at her job?
I don't know specifically but she's kind of a joke in the IT industry it seems. I hear lots of jokes and other crap about her at work and I didn't even know who she was until I saw 60 minutes last night.

well not lots i guess /shrug
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

She was Chief Financial Officer of Lucent when I worked there. She, as CFO, lead Lucent into a debt load with payments so astronomical that unless the company maintained the abnormal growth rate it saw during the early bubble years, it would (and did) be reduced to little more than a junk bond.

Stock went from $80/share just after a 2:1 split to less that $5/share. I personally lost $42,000 bucks in just under a month, and that's just with what I was putting in throught the ESPP. If you factor in stock options, I lost over $100K.

I actually lost a lot less than I could have, as I finally started looking at our quarterlies and sold my shares before they compeltely tanked, but it was way too late to try and exercise the options.

That's what I have against her. But don't think I only hate her because of her gender. I hate her old boss Rich McGinn (who was CEO)even more.
Last edited by masteen on October 9, 2006, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Hoarmurath wrote:It's okay kyoukan, you don't have to stand up for every woman's reputation. I'm not sure how misogyny had anything to do with it, unless you mean that women can do no wrong, and if anyone ever thinks they did wrong, they are just woman-haters.
yes because there was nothing even vaguely misogynistic about the original post. and masteen doesn't have a history of being a sexist asshole. GOOD CALL.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Sexist? I am a non-specific asshole. In my eyes you are all equally worthless!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Except Masteen doesn't have a history of being a sexist asshole.
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

I think the biggest mistake she made as CEO of HP was the purchase of Compaq. Far as I can tell they did it to diversify their business model but all it did was assume the debt load of a struggling company. On top of that they way overpaid for a company that was in its last throes and on the verge of bankruptcy. HP should have stuck to what they do best in printers.
Deward
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

I'm the sexiest asshole.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Momopi
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Momopi »

I thought this was going to be about Carly Simon...
Momopi Down warder of PD
Naala Momokitty Raid Assassin of PD Meow Meow
Naala the Breeder in Ted Club
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Deward wrote:I think the biggest mistake she made as CEO of HP was the purchase of Compaq. Far as I can tell they did it to diversify their business model but all it did was assume the debt load of a struggling company. On top of that they way overpaid for a company that was in its last throes and on the verge of bankruptcy. HP should have stuck to what they do best in printers.
According to a technology radio program I was listening to about a month ago, HP now leads the market in notebook PCs and people are now buying more notebook PCs than desktop PCs. Good thing you aren't their CEO :)
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Momopi wrote:I thought this was going to be about Carly Simon...
Me too actually.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

According to a technology radio program I was listening to about a month ago, HP now leads the market in notebook PCs and people are now buying more notebook PCs than desktop PCs. Good thing you aren't their CEO
Probably the only thing she did right was aggresively persuing the Indian market. That alone is responsible for the surge in PC/Laptop marketshare... but then again personal computer sales represent only about 25% of their revenue.

She did do some good things while at HP but they were overshadowed by all of her fuck ups.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

And all her fuck ups at HP were financial ones (namely assuming Compaq's debt) that greatly paralleled her fuck ups at Lucent.

But it's cool, cause she's a woman in a man's world! :roll:
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

They used to joke at IBM that Carly was a IBM plant whos only job was to run HP into the fucking ground... she almost succeeded.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Personally I think she is an idiot. Coming from a person who was a big Lucent / Ascend proponent in the 90s which she screwed up, then a big user of Compaq and HP of which she screwed both of them up... she doesn't rank high in my book and that has nothing to do with wheither or not she has a dick. She is just a bad CEO, plain and simple. She got the jobs through reverse discrimination because no man who failed like she did would have even been giv... ok... wait let me take that back. She got the jobs I'm sure on some level because she was a woman but at the same time, knowing some of the stupid people that somehow get to the top, I truly can't say they wouldn't have given some man the same chance again if his resume looked good, hell half the country voted for GWB last time...

However I think she was a piss poor CEO, some of the changes may have been necessary and I'm sure were hard decisions but others but bullshit. Everyone I know who works for HP is happy that she is gone, and those are both men and women.

Marb
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

masteen wrote:She was Chief Financial Officer of Lucent when I worked there. She, as CFO, lead Lucent into a debt load with payments so astronomical that unless the company maintained the abnormal growth rate it saw during the early bubble years, it would (and did) be reduced to little more than a junk bond.
I'd say Rich and his pipe smoking buddies had more to do with that than Carly did.
masteen wrote:Stock went from $80/share just after a 2:1 split to less that $5/share.
Don't know if you were there when we split from AT&T/Paradyne, but those founder shares are still sitting around waiting to be purchased. They're about as useful as the pens & pencils they handed out on Lucent's first day. Think I sold my first set at $74 a share.. just before it tanked. Anyone that held on to them (that worked for the company and knew how things were being run) was just silly imo.
masteen wrote:I hate her old boss Rich McGinn (who was CEO)even more.
Rich was a fucktard. You ever hear the story about why Lucent & Cisco wouldn't partner? An argument during a golf game. (Granted, that didn't affect the majority of Lucent as much as it did my 'group') Then when we bought Ascend and did.. nothing. Don't get me started on the (lack of) quality of Lucent networking products. Devices that crash if you snmpwalk them.. devices that just stop working.. Devices with no thought at all given to managing them.. etc.

I feel sorry for corworkers that ended up staying with Lucent in the last company split.