Gears of War coming out Nov 12th

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Gears of War coming out Nov 12th

Post by Animalor »

5 days before the PS3 launches, MS is going to try and trump it with Gears of War.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/03/emerg ... sp-nov-12/

Retail is expected to be 59.99, with a 69.99 rip-off Collector's Edition.

I'm going to have to be seriously impressed with a demo of this to actually buy it.
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Hamlas3r
PSN ID: Hamlaser

Post by Trias »

you'll be impressed; gears of war is looking awesome so far.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

They've already said that there isn't ever going to be a Gears of War demo sir.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I don't see any way we could do a demo before the game comes out. We've said that before. Demos take a long time to create and polish and we can't afford to get derailled like that if we want to have the game in stores by Thanksgiving. Given a choice of the game this year or a demo this year and the game next year I'm sure every one of you would rather have the game this year because you're already planning to buy it. No idea if we'll do a demo or not after the game ships. I know we have some very cool plans (not 100% solid so too early to give any specifics) for additional downloadable so that might take a higher priority than creating a demo.
You can always wait for the demo later and then decide, or rent it. DOA-4 eventually came out with a demo. Or you can wait a day or two after release and read the thousands of posts about the game on Xbox forums to help get an idea.

I'm curious if all the PS3 and Wii games are going to have downloadable demos. As it stands, the 360 has been the best console ever for providing free demos of games, trailers and Live Arcade games.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

can you link that article pls
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

I really don't think they're going to release a demo for this. I think they are going to bank on just how awesome this game will be, that the massive amount of good press/word of mouth it gets will be enough to sell someone who is apprehensive.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

So I was in Circuit City today and decided to just pay for this now before it came out. The release date I was given is November 8th. I was just curious to who else is going to be getting this game and maybe what your XBL tags are so we can play online, the multiplayer is supposed to be amazing.
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Janx

Post by Janx »

Got it preordered. I go by the super secrent tag "Janx" on xbl
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

ToPsHoTTa47

Don't ask. I spent about 2 hours trying for a xbl tag before my creativity took a dive.
Midgen
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: MidgenPlays

Post by Midgen »

Pre-orders (and only pre-orders) are being delivered Nov 7th.

Don't wanna pre-order? You'll have to wait a week sir! (or ma'am)

At least that is what I was told my a person 'in the know'...
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I'm waiting til the reviews are out. The graphics look great, but the gameplay movies I downloaded all consisted of ducking behind cover, popping out and killing some aliens and then moving to the next piece of cover, with some scripted sequences every five or six pieces of cover or so.

I love Epic and CliffyB tho, so I might just get it anyway.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Well I'll let you know what I think right away and you can take that for what it's worth. What is your XBL tag Kooky?

Anyone want to link the thread that was started a long while ago with everyones XBL tags?
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Gear of War LOOKS to be one of the best games in 2006.

Not sure if it's as fun as it looks though in the gameplay-department.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Funkmasterr wrote:Anyone want to link the thread that was started a long while ago with everyones XBL tags?
I thought that list got eaten around the time of the move...could be wrong though.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Time to get fired up for Gears of War release tomorrow.

Here's a GoW trailer remixed to Metallica's "One".

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/de ... wsid=22678

I was listening to a 1UP podcast (gaming site) Those guys are pretty critical and while they couldn't talk about it in detail yet, they were playing it non stop and loving it. Hope it's good. I don't normally like shooters but make exceptions for all genres when it comes to the top games.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I got my Gears pre-order. My Local EB is saying it won't be in till Thursday though.

I'll be patient this time around though since I got FFXII last night from my rental place and it'll keep my evenings nice and busy till I get Gears.

Reviews!

Gamespot - 9.6 - http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/ ... eview.html

Team Xbox - 9.6 - http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/12 ... of-War/p1/

1up - (perfect 10 apparently) - http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3154958 (website appears to be pooched as of this posting)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The 1UP review is good in that he gives it a 10 but then spends the entire article discussing the negatives of the game so at least you know that they are.

Gamespot lists difficulty as Hard so some may dis the game that can't figure out how to use cover.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I am excited, Circuit City is supposedly going to have it tomorrow at 5pm, so I should be able to pick it up on my way home from work!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The fucking Euros are bringing Gear's overall rating down. (currently 93). A 90 and two 80's from UK and a Euro site are doing the damage. What do they know about ruthless killing like the Americans? Maybe a German rag will come along with a 100 score.

Ignore the unshaven beasts of Europe and the GoW score is off the hizzy.*

I went to Fry's Electronics at lunch and they had a sign saying they'd have it in stock tomorrow (Nov 8)

*yo
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I think the Eurogamer at least provides an explanation of why their scores are a tad lowish.
Inevitably the multiplayer component of Gears of War is big news, but it's important to stress that until boxed copies arrive, we're limited to testing the offline portion of the game. When that time comes (expected to be next week) we will put that side of the game into its proper context and provide an update to this review to take all of that into account. In the meantime, be sure to check out our in-depth hands-on with all three multiplayer modes here
360-gamer.com did mention not trying the game on live but do say they're tried multiplayer in a lan environment (Is this even possible?)
Whilst we are unable to assess how good it is on Live until the servers are swamped by gamers across the globe, we did thrash the Local Network and Co-Op options to an inch of their lives. Four-on-four matches are pure quick-fix gaming at their best, seemingly distilling the best elements that we loved from classic FPS games from our past (GoldenEye, Quake, Doom and Unreal Tournament) and giving them a new next-gen lease of life.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah apparently the options are system link, xbox live or local and you can play any way you want.

You can even play the co op campaign mode with a friend over xbox live which is fucking awesome.
Sparty
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sparty »

Been playing this game all day. The environment visuals are breath taking. Easily the best Ive seen in a game.
The controls took a little getting use (The combat is not exackly what I expected, which is a good thing), and the gameplay rocks. I really really love this game =)

My name is Sparty
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Hamlas3r
PSN ID: Hamlaser

Post by Trias »

i just played two hours of co-op on xbox live with my best bud; this game is awesome.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I played GoW a little last night. The visuals are as good as advertised. The gameplay is easy to learn and a nice change. The quick tutorial part in the beginning is enough to get you going.

I only played a few minutes because I'm addicted to FXII, which BTW, has totally screwed up my ability to control other games now. I finally got used to FFXII's oddall camera axis controls and now have to readjust to the normal view of GoW (it can only adjust one axis, not both) If FFXII had the HD support and character model detail of GoW, it would break the ratings system and get 11 out of 10.

For those that like intense games, this one should be at the top of your list. The first scenes are a little dark (the visuals, the subject matter is of course dark) but that's by design.

Looking forward to trying out split-screen CO-OP GoW play with a friend soon. My only knock on GoW, and this is just personal preference, is that I prefer to kill things I can recognize..the more human the better...makes me feel warm and fuzzy to recognize what I'm killing. I also like brighter, more colorful texture pallets which also wouldn't work for GoW so that's not a negative.

I'd say GoW and Dead Rising are the best 360 games so far for showing off the system's capabilities.
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Waran

Post by Waran »

Bought my copy today

Can't wait to do the co-op
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm really pissed off. I went to Circuit City to pick my copy up today and they didn't get it in. I called around to gamestop, target, and best buy and none of them had got their copies either.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

This game is sheer wow even on an SDTV. I played Act 1 and some online MP tonight and am loving it.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Have not tried Live yet (need to re-wire some CAT5 to living room (yeah, I don't want to buy wireless NIC, since I have a easy wall drop for CAT5)...

Split screen co-op campaign is the shit, even on just a 30in HDTV SlimLine Samsung. Visuals, sound, light, textures, animation, etc...all top-notch. The one-button cover n' roll, etc takes a page from GRAW and makes it actually usable in both single and multi-player.

A little long on cut scenes, but even they are interesting and gorgeous. I had to dial the game back to 'Casual' difficulty until I get used to the targettingand weapon selection a bit better to step up to 'hardcore'.

We got to the first beserker boss scene, which is a ton of fun!

Aside from the cover n' roll ability, I really like the ease of use when reviving a fallen comrade....especially in co-op.

Split screen obviously is not ideal, so I am sure co-op truly shines over the wire or networked consoles.

My favorite FPS to date and rarely does this genre keep my attention too long. Great buy!!
en kærlighed småkager
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

the game is wonderful but i am let down once again in two ways

the blood/gore etc when you shoot people looks so awkward and out of place and crappy

and the cover/terrain etc isn't destructable hardly at all

i am sad about this but the game is still amazing
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Canelek wrote:Have not tried Live yet (need to re-wire some CAT5 to living room (yeah, I don't want to buy wireless NIC, since I have a easy wall drop for CAT5)...

Split screen co-op campaign is the shit, even on just a 30in HDTV SlimLine Samsung. Visuals, sound, light, textures, animation, etc...all top-notch. The one-button cover n' roll, etc takes a page from GRAW and makes it actually usable in both single and multi-player.

A little long on cut scenes, but even they are interesting and gorgeous. I had to dial the game back to 'Casual' difficulty until I get used to the targettingand weapon selection a bit better to step up to 'hardcore'.

Aside from the cover n' roll ability, I really like the ease of use when reviving a fallen comrade....especially in co-op.

Split screen obviously is not ideal, so I am sure co-op truly shines over the wire or networked consoles.

My favorite FPS to date and rarely does this genre keep my attention too long. Great buy!!
get on live dawg we can coop it up on both of our slimfits )
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

thats what the ladies (men) call it too!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

*~*stragi*~* wrote:
Canelek wrote:Have not tried Live yet (need to re-wire some CAT5 to living room (yeah, I don't want to buy wireless NIC, since I have a easy wall drop for CAT5)...

I have one too! (grabbing the game on the way home from work though)
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

*~*stragi*~* wrote:the game is wonderful but i am let down once again in two ways

the blood/gore etc when you shoot people looks so awkward and out of place and crappy

and the cover/terrain etc isn't destructable hardly at all

i am sad about this but the game is still amazing
Ciment and Cinderblocks aren't very destructible no. Covering behind a couch or shairs is a bad idea.

I think the cars will blow up if enough lead is pumped into em. I believe I blew one up in SP last night with the Hammer of Dawn.
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Finally have my copy!
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Waran

Post by Waran »

I am absolutely loving this game so far

Big thumbs up, you need to buy this game. Definitely a classic

Quick perfect reloads I wasn't really aware of until a friend told me, so might be useful for some playing.

While reloading, there is a progress meter that has a small square area within the meter. If you hit the reload button, while the meter is filling up , accurately within the target, you'll do a fast reload. Not to mention some achievement points if you can pull off 5 in a row, then 25 total.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Waran wrote:I am absolutely loving this game so far

Big thumbs up, you need to buy this game. Definitely a classic

Quick perfect reloads I wasn't really aware of until a friend told me, so might be useful for some playing.

While reloading, there is a progress meter that has a small square area within the meter. If you hit the reload button, while the meter is filling up , accurately within the target, you'll do a fast reload. Not to mention some achievement points if you can pull off 5 in a row, then 25 total.
Odds are you'll pull off the 25 total perfects before you pick up the 5 in a row one.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

*~*stragi*~* wrote:

Word G-sally. I will hook that fucker to the cloud and pop mad caps when I gets back from the middleoregon next week.
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I got it finally tonight too. I love the game, even on my old ghetto tv it looks great. The controls did take a little of adjusting, but you catch on quick.

And yes, you can blow up cars, I did with a grenade not too long ago. It's cool because when it first blows up the flame is blue, then it really goes up.

I have found the guys that get on the turrets to be a major pain in the ass! You don't even have to be shooting at them and they know when you pop up and switch to shooting at you.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Wait till you run into the Krill for the first time.

And OMFG! Act 3 graphics are beautiful.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Anyone want to play coop?, name is Phoenix612 if you do
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Kryshade »

So I'm not a huge console gamer. I have a 360 that was given to me as a gift, but up until oblivion didn't really think any of the games were that awesome. I picked this up after reading all the hype.

All I can say is OMFG!

This game rocks. I can't put my finger on what it is exactly, but the entire game is just done "right". I love the camera action when you crouch and run, I love the sounds, the way the designers made each level, each street, each combat situation alittle different from the last. I like all the scripted events and the overall general feeling I get of "Holy shit this is intense!"

I'm still not all that great at using cover very effectively. I tend to want to fire at stuff for too long and not realizing I'm getting hit back.

The graphics certainly are good, but I wouldnt' tout them as being the best I've seen for a console. Oblivion still holds that title for me at least. I'm only on act 2 though, so maybe act 3 is nicer like mentioned above.

Anyway, I may have to actually pick up an xbox live subscription to try out the multiplayer aspect of this, because the single player is unbelievable!

Even if your not a big fan of shooters, this game is soooo emersive in everyway you don't want to miss out on it!!!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

If you have not already done so, you get a free month of the Gold plan when you register an account. I had three different online accounts for the three free months I got. After those, I just went ahead and paid for the service since I was using it enough to justify it.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Has anyone finished the game yet? I have been playing through on casual first, then I will play through all the way on hardcore. The only thing that has came to mind is that the single player campaign may be a little short. I have played for about 6 hours total (granted 4 of those were co op with a friend which probably made it much easier) and I am on act 4 ( I don't know how far in.)

Either way, like I said I have liked this more than enough to give it that replay value to go through it on every difficulty. Not to mention I haven't even got the chance to touch the multiplayer yet.

The graphics on act 3 were great. What it really reminded me of though was the movie Pitch Black. Because of having to keep it bright so the bat things don't attack you.
Denadeb
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Denadeb »

I picked this one up earlier myself most places were sold out was kinda hard to find it.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I'm currently on Casual Act 5. Love the variety of the levels.
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

I guess my favorite gaming experiences have always been persistent/multiplayer environments. I have an original Xbox that a won at a Microsoft event a few years ago. It has maybe an hour of total playing time on it. I have just always preferred PC based gaming to console gaming.

With that being said...this title has me leaning toward getting a 360 in the near future. It takes a lot for a single game to get me to drop that cash on a system.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I just finished the game on casual and it was a blast. I was very impressed with all aspects of the game, and like I said before my only complaint is that it was pretty short (I think I probably beat it in under 15 hours.)

However, I am sure it will take me a lot longer to beat it on hardcore and insane.
[Show]
The end boss fight was really hard and pissing me off until I decided to wander around and I found the damn turret, then he went down in a matter of 5 seconds, lol. I really like how they set the game up very well for a sequel at the end, because this is one game I would love to sequels to.
I like the big variety of achievements for both offline/online gameplay, it gives you plenty of things to try for.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

There's some kind of error with my copy, after I kill the first Berserker that I've seen, the screen just goes black like it's cutting to another scene, and it stops like that. :( I can still move around and shoot, but it never goes to the next level. Rather frustrating.
Last edited by Sylvus on November 12, 2006, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

That sucks. Is it sold out around your area or are you going to be able to pick another copy up?