What to look for in a starter bike?

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

What to look for in a starter bike?

Post by Ransure »

Ok, so Im pretty new to all this stuff. I have avoided buying a bike in the past due to fear of killing myself... which is still a possibility, but I also think I can learn to ride responsibly.

I am going to be taking the MSF class as soon as I can, but I want to be looking at bikes at the same time.

So, what things should I be looking for in a starter bike? Can I get away with a $2k budget for a bike that might only last me until next spring? Also, what size engine? Im 6' 210lbs... so Im not small by any means. Any brands or models that are particularly reliable? stay away from? Im looking for a street bike, something that wont leave me stranded and can cruise a bit on the highway, I dont need crazy 0-60 times or anything else...

Here are the bikes that others have recommended, but thats just models.. not milages and things to look for.

CBR F2/F3, FZR600 or a SV650... any others to look at? and what stuff should I be looking for when shopping Ebay and such...
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

Ransure - Just some basic tips for starter riders -

1) Don't get anything with too much "balls" - like you said, you want a bike to learn on - not kill yourself on. Once you ride it for a year, then upgrade - most bikes in that price range if you take care of it, you can get the same money back out of it easy with only 500-1000 more miles.

2) Are you looking for a crotch rocket or a cruiser? For starter bikes - I always recommend a cruiser. Stay away from Harley - they are generally over priced. If you want a harley "look alike" - Honda makes several really nice bikes.

3) Keep an eye in the paper - you can get some REALLY good steals - bikes are a lot like pool tables. They are a toy - which not everyone can still have if their life situation changes (money is tight / move and don't have room for it / move to a climate where they can't use it as much etc etc etc).

I'm by no means a bike expert, so I'll defer to others on specifc makes / models. I've been around "bike" people for a long time, and these are the tips they gave me when I was looking for my first bike.

As far as what to look for in Ebay - same thing you would look for in a car - low miles - well maintained etc etc.

Not extremely helpful i know, but these are some basic guidelines to stick by.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

I disagree with the cruiser vs sports bike comment but that is purely subjective. I prefere to ride a sports bike because I like the sitting position better. Plus they handle better imo.

That said, a 600 is the larges you should look for imo. Older CBR 600s are very nice. FZ or FZRs are not bad either. Ninja 500 is kind of big and heavy but not a bad bike to ride for a summer at all. Same with older Bandits (which I know you can get for a good price, somebody is selling one for $2K right now in good shape). I've heard good things about the SV650 but don't know it personally.

MSF class is a good thing. I would also highly recommend always riding with at least gloves and a helmet.

Best advice I can give you: Always ride with the thought that everyone else are definitely doing their best to try and kill you. Yes that car is trying to hit you. After a while this becomes second nature and you don't really think about it. It saved my ass once at a red light where I was first in line and the car behind me never hit his breaks. Luckily I had made it a habit to always look in the mirror to make sure the cars stopped.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I drive an SV650, and its plenty of bike. Plus, there is a great rider base here so lots of help on the forums if you have problems and want to be mechanicaly inclined to fix it yourself.

Have fun at the class, you taking it in Alexandria? Good instructers down there, even if they can be a bit "dickish", but they are trying to teach folks the right way, so they really push it.

Take the class first though, you will learn about the different types of bikes at the class as well, so that always helps.

I picked my SV up off of some guy in Baltimore for $2700. They are "dirt" cheap new, so their used value is always nice and low for a relatively new bike...compared to what that same amount buys you in a different make/model.

Good luck, have fun!
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

Kelsh has a point (of course) - Cruiser vs Sport Bike is personal preference - I'm more of a cruiser type of guy - so that's what I recommend as that's what I was most comfortable with.

Go with what you comfortable sitting on and riding (and the look you are going for of course!).
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Some (not many, but a few) MSF courses will have both types of bikes. Generally like a rebel for the cruiser, and a ninja250 for the sportsbike for you to find what you're comfortable with. Many will just have a small cruiser though.

But here is something you can do to help make up your mind.

Dealerships won't let you test drive a bike (obviously since there's nowhere for the salesperson to ride to make sure you come back), but you are allowed to sit on a bike at the dealership while it's stationary. So go climb on one, and sit on it for a while to make sure it's comfortable. Make sure the footpegs are somewhere that don't bind your legs up and whatnot.
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

If you dont have anything against cruisers take a seat on a Honda Magna, I had one and absolutely loved that bike. Incredibly comfortable for long rides, fairly peppy and easy to have a passenger.

If not then of those you listed given your size I would recommend the SV650.
Sendarie
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

It looks like a lot of similar information was also posted in Stragi's thread below: http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... hp?t=17696

Might find a couple other useful bits of information there.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

I forgot Katanas :) Very good starter bikes.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: What to look for in a starter bike?

Post by Zaelath »

Ransure wrote:Ok, so Im pretty new to all this stuff. I have avoided buying a bike in the past due to fear of killing myself... which is still a possibility, but I also think I can learn to ride responsibly.

I am going to be taking the MSF class as soon as I can, but I want to be looking at bikes at the same time.

So, what things should I be looking for in a starter bike? Can I get away with a $2k budget for a bike that might only last me until next spring? Also, what size engine? Im 6' 210lbs... so Im not small by any means. Any brands or models that are particularly reliable? stay away from? Im looking for a street bike, something that wont leave me stranded and can cruise a bit on the highway, I dont need crazy 0-60 times or anything else...

Here are the bikes that others have recommended, but thats just models.. not milages and things to look for.

CBR F2/F3, FZR600 or a SV650... any others to look at? and what stuff should I be looking for when shopping Ebay and such...
Your height means you might as well just go to a few bike dealers and sit on their bikes to test for leg room. 6' isn't overly tall, but it's a good bit taller than most Japanese; and if you think they make or tailor their bikes for the US market... hehe

Personally I'd be looking at the weight of the bike (and it's weight distribution) as a newbie, because most of the accidents you have a low speed or stopped and a little too much front brake or a slippery surface makes the bike lurch and you drop it, which given you want fairings on the bike, is a bad thing ;)

I'd also avoid two-strokes like the plague on the road.

Find a good mechanic in the area to look over any bikes you're thinking about buying too.. there's an awful lot that can be wrong with a bike that looks shiny.

I'd get this personally (unless you intend on doing touring in hilly areas) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-V ... 1619QQrdZ1
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

They don't make 2 strokes anymore (at least not here anyways), and you have to get REALLY used (like vintage!) to find one.

Just clarifying, but I agree with you.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Truant wrote:They don't make 2 strokes anymore (at least not here anyways), and you have to get REALLY used (like vintage!) to find one.

Just clarifying, but I agree with you.
20 years ago isn't vintage! :) http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mctext/rzstory.html

Dunno when they stopped making RZ500's (scariest bike I ever rode).

Surely there has to be something more recent than that though... oh well.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.