Big Ben injured in Motorcycle accident

What do you think about the sports world?
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Big Ben injured in Motorcycle accident

Post by Tyek »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2480830
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was involved in a motorcycle accident in Pittsburgh on Monday morning.

"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service.

Witnesses told authorities that the player's motorcycle collided with a car near a downtown intersection and that Roethlisberger's head hit the windshield and was bleeding. Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet. In previous interviews, Roethlisberger has said that he does not like wearing a helmet while wearing a motorcycle.

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports that early indications are the injuries are not life-threatening.

One of his agents, Ryan Tollner, is in route to Pittsburgh for what was supposed to be a pre-planned trip and will arrive later Monday.

One witness told KDKA television that Roethlisberger was conscious but appeared disoriented before he was taken from the scene to Mercy Hospital.

A Steelers spokesman is at the hospital and confirmed Roethlisberger is being treated there, but wouldn't provide additional details.
I don't understand the helmet thing, you are young, a Super Bowl Champ and have a great career ahead of you. Put on a fucking helmet idiot.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Horrible news for Steeler fans. The idiot should have been wearing a helmet.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding.
Is he a fucking retard?
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Big Ben injured in Motorcycle accident

Post by Boogahz »

but
...In previous interviews, Roethlisberger has said that he does not like wearing a helmet while wearing a motorcycle...

Personally I think I would wear a helmet whether I was a professional athlete or not. I have heard from opponents to the helmet laws that they feel a loss of peripheral vision when wearing one though. I guess they don't mind seeing what they are about to slam their heads in to :(
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

No broken bones? Hard to tell how severe it is so far.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Boogahz wrote:I have heard from opponents to the helmet laws that they feel a loss of peripheral vision when wearing one though.
That is, in my experience, a total non-issue. Not to mention that being hit by small rocks or even bugs fucking hurts.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

There are only a few states that don't require the use of a helmet while riding.. I for one have never seen someone with a helmet in Delaware. So if you have the right, fuck the helmet. More power to you for ballsing it up like that.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

I am of the firm opinion that everyone should have a right to wear or not wear a helmet. That being said I think it is extremely stupid not to wear one and I always do, even if it is 95 degrees outside. It isn't comfortable but it is like a seat belt and can save your life.

As for Ben, I wouldn't surprised if he had soem clause in his contract against this sort iof thing. A lot fo big money athletes have clauses that don't allow them to engage in dangerous activities. Motorcycling without a helmet would fall into that category. I guess we will see what the long term affects are going to be.
Deward
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Teh warrior dumbass TE from Cleveland last season all over again...

Big Ben, how dumb can you be?
ESPN wrote:Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."
When a dumbass hick motherfucker like TB is sounding like Miss Cleo, you need to get your fucking priorities straight.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Motorcycles are dangerous enough by themselves but it's the other people on the road that makes it too great a risk.

If you want to ride motorcycles, do it off road. While you still have a god chance for injury, fatalities are much less frequent.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Kelshara wrote:
Boogahz wrote:I have heard from opponents to the helmet laws that they feel a loss of peripheral vision when wearing one though.
That is, in my experience, a total non-issue. Not to mention that being hit by small rocks or even bugs fucking hurts.
No kidding, that little crap stings the little part of my neck that's exposed. I wear full face even though I ride a cruiser and never had a problem w/ peripheral vision.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Winnow wrote:Motorcycles are dangerous enough by themselves but it's the other people on the road that makes it too great a risk.

If you want to ride motorcycles, do it off road. While you still have a god chance for injury, fatalities are much less frequent.
They are dangerous to riders if riders and/or drivers are stupid. It's an inherantly risky activity but it's just plain fun as well as miserly on gas for those that use them as commuting vehicles.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Chidoro wrote:No kidding, that little crap stings the little part of my neck that's exposed. I wear full face even though I ride a cruiser and never had a problem w/ peripheral vision.
I forgot my gloves when I picked up my bike and rode from Dallas to San Antonio without them. Every little bug that hit me on the hands hurt like a mofo. Almost bought new gloves just for that ride heh.

When you have a very short time frame to earn enough money to set up not just yourself, but your family for generations it is incredibly stupid to do anything like this. You will still be a young man when you retire and you can do whatever the hell you want to then.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

Helmets should be required by law. For a quarterback, they should be required by law and by contract.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

62 year old woman travelling in the opposite direction turned left directly in front of him. Maybe it is time to enact a law banning 62 year old women from driving giant steel cars.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:62 year old woman travelling in the opposite direction turned left directly in front of him. Maybe it is time to enact a law banning 62 year old women from driving giant steel cars.
I agree! Might as well ban smoking while we're at it
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Looks like a broken jaw and nose so far:
Roethlisberger breaks jaw, nose in motorcycle crash0-6083

By Associated Press

Monday, June 12, 2006 - Updated: 05:41 PM EST

PITTSBURGH - Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship, broke his jaw and nose in a motorcycle crash Monday in which he was not wearing a helmet.

Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition, Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital said before surgery.

The player’s agent, Leigh Steinberg, described the injuries to The Associated Press and said he did not know if there was further damage.

“He was talking to me before he left for the operating room,” Jones said. “He’s coherent. He’s making sense. He knows what happened. He knows where he is. From that standpoint, he’s very stable.”

Roethlisberger’s mother, Brenda, was crying as she arrived at the hospital.

Steelers president Art Rooney II said the team was “encouraged by the early reports from the medical team” at the hospital. “I am sure Ben knows that we are praying for his complete recovery.”

The 24-year-old Roethlisberger was without a helmet, police said. He has said he likes to ride without one, a habit that once prompted a lecture from Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher.

Roethlisberger was on his black 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa - the company calls it the world’s fastest bike for legal street riding - and heading toward an intersection on the edge of downtown. A silver Chrysler New Yorker traveling in the opposite direction took a left turn and collided with the motorcycle, and Roethlisberger was thrown, police said.

The other car was driven by a 62-year-old woman, police said. They didn’t immediately release her name and no charges were filed.

Witness Sandra Ford was waiting at a bus stop when she said she saw the motorcycle approach. Seconds later, she said she heard a crash, saw the motorcyclist in the air and ran toward the crash scene.

“He wasn’t moving and I was afraid that he had died. ... He wasn’t really speaking. He seemed dazed but he was resisting the effort to make him stay down,” said Ford, who didn’t realize the motorcyclist was Roethlisberger.

Police spokesman Lt. Kevin Kraus said police and homicide units were leading the investigation, a standard practice when there is an accident with critical injuries.

In only his second year in the NFL, Roethlisberger helped guide the Steelers to the Super Bowl title in February at age 23. Training camp for next season begins at the end of July.

Several teammates, including backup quarterback Charlie Batch, linebacker Joey Porter and safety Mike Logan, arrived at the emergency room.

Some fans also gathered at the hospital, including Juanita Clark, who sells Steelers paraphernalia.

“I just feel like he’s a family member,” said her daughter, Loretta Clark.

Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania’s state law requiring helmets to be worn was repealed in September 2003.

In May 2005, Cowher warned him about safe riding after Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident. Winslow tore knee ligaments and was lost for the season.

“He talked about being a risk-taker and I’m not really a risk-taker. I’m pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful,” Roethlisberger said at the time. “I’ll just continue to be careful. I told him we don’t ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe.”

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow’s accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers’ training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: “Ride it when you retire.”
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

More power to you for ballsing it up like that.
And it is that mentality, thankfully, that helps cull out some of the fucking idiots in our country.
en kærlighed småkager
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I love motorbikes, been a part of my life since I was born, anyone who doesn't use a helmet is a fool :evil:
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Nick wrote:I love motorbikes, been a part of my life since I was born, anyone who doesn't use a helmet is a fool :evil:
Even on a bicycle, anyone that doesn't wear a helmet is a fool.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

Canelek wrote:
And it is that mentality, thankfully, that helps cull out some of the fucking idiots in our country.
So im an idiot because id prefer to ride a bike without a helmet?

Dont get me wrong, i think Ben is an idiot for doing it, because he is a big time athlete, he can get his thrills in a game.. But an average person like me that can't afford to get the rushes i need to get.. The best rush for me right now is biking with no helmet.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Gonzoie - Luclin wrote:
Canelek wrote:

Dont get me wrong, i think Ben is an idiot for doing it, because he is a big time athlete, he can get his thrills in a game.. But an average person like me that can't afford to get the rushes i need to get.. The best rush for me right now is biking with no helmet.
Are you serious?
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Gonzoie - Luclin wrote:
Canelek wrote:

Have you tried...sex? with a female? with a human?
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

They reported on ESPNradio yesterday that he had:
9 inch gash in the back of his head
broken jaw
broken left sinus cavity
missing teeth
undisclosed level of knee injuries from hitting the ground
Sabek
Just Sabek
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

broken jaw is not a good thing if it needs to be wired shut. It's real hard to keep your strength and weight when you're being fed liquids.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Gonzoie - Luclin wrote:
Canelek wrote:
Yes. Clear enough for you?
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

Gonzoie - Luclin wrote:
Canelek wrote:

being on the road with no helmet gives you a rush? what kind of massive bitch ass pussy are you?

Does your heartbeat speed up when you dont buckle up in your mom's caravan too? I bet she yells at you for that, though.

give me a break you fuckin prick
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Yeah, but don't let that stop you.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ben's got to be out for at least half the season.

Charlie Batch? Oi!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

They said he will be back by the middle of training camp.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:They said he will be back by the middle of training camp.
He's missing teeth!
After undergoing what's known as a "Glasgow Coma Scale," which is used to evaluate brain function, they say Roethlisberger scored a 13 or 14. A person with normal brain function would rate around a 15, while someone in a deep coma would score about a 3 on the scale.
Searyx scored a 13 too!

It's too early to tell either way although recently, it seems that doctors are over optimistic when it comes to player recovery times. The sprained knees could be worse.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Gonzoie - Luclin wrote:
Canelek wrote:

Hey, it's not against the law to smack yourself in the head repeatedly with a fucking two by four.

So go ahead and do it.

Common sense should not have to be legislated.
Natural selection usually does a good job in weeding out the morons who should not be allowed to breed.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

I used to ride a suzuki motorcycle. I always wore my helmet because, well... i'm not an imbecile. I wrecked the motorcycle making a turn in a neighborhood going less than 25 mph. The wreck was very minor and yet I suffered several bruises, scraped the skin completely off of my knee, and the pain lasted for months.

I learned that day how incredibly vulnerable you are when riding. To not wear a helmet is about the most idiotic thing a person can do, and it goes to show how little fucking respect you have for your own life.

As far as seatbelt and helmet laws go, I used to be against them because I had the attitude that the government should not be protecting me from myself. However, since then I have realized that every time some idiot without a seatbelt or helmet gets injured or dies, our collective insurance policies go up.

Every moron that does this deserves to die.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Xyun wrote:As far as seatbelt and helmet laws go, I used to be against them because I had the attitude that the government should not be protecting me from myself. However, since then I have realized that every time some idiot without a seatbelt or helmet gets injured or dies, our collective insurance policies go up.

Every moron that does this deserves to die.
The choice is each rider's to make. That said, your above argument is whacked. Someone getting into an accident on a motorcycle is very likely to have high medical costs as a result. So what, you want the government to ban motorcycles?

Nothing makes me laugh harder in regards to seeing a motorcycle rider, than when I see some kid and his girlfriend on their cycle riding around with helmets on.. with shorts.. and t-shirts.. and flip-flops.. But I sure as fuck don't want to see laws introduced for "cycle clothing & protection".

Everyone has the right to be an idiot and make stupid choices.
Stalker Vacio
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Stalker Vacio »

Why couldn't this happen on Feb 4th :(
"Patience is a foolish virtue. It never gets you what you want when you want it. " -King Zad
Voidstalker
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Stalker Vacio wrote:Why couldn't this happen on Feb 4th :(
More like 2 weeks prior to that...
en kærlighed småkager
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

Siji wrote: The choice is each rider's to make. That said, your above argument is whacked. Someone getting into an accident on a motorcycle is very likely to have high medical costs as a result. So what, you want the government to ban motorcycles?
No we want helmets to be required. To reduce the number and severity of head injuries. To reduce medical costs. To reduce insurance rates. Isnt there a Schoolhouse rock about this that you can watch or some shit?
Nothing makes me laugh harder in regards to seeing a motorcycle rider, than when I see some kid and his girlfriend on their cycle riding around with helmets on.. with shorts.. and t-shirts.. and flip-flops.. But I sure as fuck don't want to see laws introduced for "cycle clothing & protection".
Did you know that protecting your brain is just as important as protecting your skin from road rash? Its like practically the same thing, and I bet the man is trying to pass laws to keep me from getting my sandal-rush!
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Stalker Vacio wrote:Why couldn't this happen on Feb 4th :(
Have YOU tried to ride a bike in Pittsburgh during the winter?!? :lol:
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Apparently he didn't even have a valid motorcycle license either.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I still don't think he should be called "Big Ben". He's not that big. Plus people were calling Ben Wallace that while Rothliesberger was still in short pants.

Sounds like his injuries weren't as bad as initially reported, that's good. He's still a jackass though.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Are you speaking from experience?

When you break records as a rookie that Dan The Man set, lead your team to a 15-1 record, then win the Super Bowl in your second year, they will call you whatever you want them to.

I think you are just upset that michigan doesn't have a pro football team (although the whoreverines have a higher payroll for their roster than a few NFL teams)
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

says the ohio resident who cheers for pittsburgh.

bastard
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

He just lives in Ohio to get all the mansex. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Canelek wrote:He just lives in Ohio to get all the mansex. :)
cornhole?
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Rich is just all bitter about his Broncholes getting a complete ass whipping at Mile high in the AFC title game. :-)

If you thought that was painful, wait until you get to experience the second half Mets collapse....right when you thought they had it locked up.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Rich is just all bitter about his Broncholes...

Those would be Donkeys, TYVM.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Rich is just all bitter about his Broncholes getting a complete ass whipping at Mile high in the AFC title game. :-)

If you thought that was painful, wait until you get to experience the second half Mets collapse....right when you thought they had it locked up.
Go Jay Cutler? :D

As far as the Mets...well, it is only 101.4 games in! Hope for a collapse all ya want sir--I am happy so far. D-Wright fo MVP! :P I don't think it will be like the 1988 regular season (talk not to me about NL Championship that year), but you must admit, even for a hated rival, you have to be impressed with the Mets so far! :)

(I hope they ban the new theme song)
en kærlighed småkager
Stalker Vacio
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Stalker Vacio »

Apparently the Steelers are requesting a copy of the video tape from the police...yeah they want inclusive video evidence his face crossed the plane of the windshield

Yes I am still sore over the superbowl...
"Patience is a foolish virtue. It never gets you what you want when you want it. " -King Zad
Voidstalker