Dungeons and Dragons Online - 7 Day Trial

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Dal-KoE
Gets Around
Gets Around

Dungeons and Dragons Online - 7 Day Trial

Post by Dal-KoE »

Right now Turbine is offering a 7 day free trial of DDO.

http://trial.ddo.com/

The game from what I have seen (all of 4 hours) is not a bad game and has some nice features and some pretty cool stuff. A free game (trial) IMO is not a bad thing. Not sure if I will buy it yet ... but I like getting a "free" test drive for any game.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

7 free days is about all you need.

I bought it and played for a weekend and then forgot I even owned it for about a month. Oblivion is a lot more fun, just get that!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

The thing with DDO is: you need a steady group of people or you are not going to make it a month of playing.

If you have a steady group it can be a lot of fun.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

that and you have to like killing kobolds

A LOT.

I MEAN A LOT OF KOBOLDS
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

And you must join CT to roll on dem Kobolds!
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Only kobolds I kill is when I am gimping. Compared to EQ/WW/DAOC/AO/UO it is a heaven of non grinding.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Farted around with it for a bit yesterday. Kind of cool, don't know that it'll hold my interest though.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Dal-KoE
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dal-KoE »

Aabidano wrote:Farted around with it for a bit yesterday. Kind of cool, don't know that it'll hold my interest though.

Same here... I doubt I will actually buy it and the $15/month sub price is a bit steep for the amount of content avaialable. Overall it has some nice things and will probably have a niche following. If your into soloing or like hard core playing/grinding, it is probably not for you. DDO does require (force) you to do most content in a group and if you approach games with the mindset of playing 12 hours a day and "winning... you will be pretty much finished in about a week. But hey .. its a free trial..
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Kylere wrote:Only kobolds I kill is when I am gimping.
Exactly. A LOT.
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Umm I think DDO must have been too hard for Kyoukan, hell she could not do hate without camping out on the walls after a real guild had broken the zone in.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

WOW MAN NICE COMEBACK
en kærlighed småkager
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

kylere is too busy forming epic pet tanking stratz for Tunare encounter to come up with a funnier comeback.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I have seen no dungeons past level 4 or 5 CR ratings that have many kobolds in them. hell, I can probably only name 3 or 4 that have ANY kobolds in them past CR 5.

Grats you on not knowing what you are talking about. Again.
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

Doing the trial. So far, it's decent. It will begin to suck as soon as the content is not duoable. Never been much for random p/u groups.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

I was not attempting to slam Kookie, merely pointing out facts.
She Dreams in Digital
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

You can Duo 90% of the game if you have the right classes.

Battle Cleric and Trap Rogue.

Party size is 6, but I think the game is really balanced for groups of 4. If you have 6 it is really overkill on Normal difficulty. Once you finish a quest you can repeat it, with the option of pushing the difficulty to Hard, I would reccomend taking a group of 6 then, as all the monsters in the quest get a significant CR boost in level and abilities.

If you finish a quest the 2nd time around, you have the final option of pushing it up to Elite difficulty... this does not scale like Normal to Hard. Elite is like Normal to Hard... to WTF. Monsters usually gain 3-4 CR ranks and things are really rough. Maybe not too rough at the lower level quests but when you bump a Level 10 Quest up to level 12, the mobs go from CR15 to CR24, thats a big jump.

Anyway, the game has around 2-3 months worth of content, if you take your time and do the quests for all they have to offer. If you rush, just focusing on leveling and XP, then I would say you could max and be "finished" in a month or so.

Turbine has yet to offer any real word on expanding the content of the game, but something needs to happen sooner than later.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Dal-KoE
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dal-KoE »

Going to see how far the kids and I can get this weekend (before the 7 days are up) with a group of three newbie toons.. daughter on a Cleric (1.1) and son on a rogue (1.1) and me playing a Fighter (1.4).
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Second module is being previewed at E3 in early May. Release for it should be early June. If they keep putting out modules every 3 months, it would keep giving people the content to continue playing.

My guess is they are introducing the Monk class with the next module. I know they have already said new monsters will be in it.
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

Might pick this game up as a filler until Vanguard comes out. Went back to the EQ thing and find it ultra boring. Figure DDO can hold my interest for about 6 months or whatever. Wish I could just roll into monthly payments after the trial instead of being cornholed into spending $50 on something I already have installed.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

If you want to play, feel free to try Argonessen, any prominent VV'er can send me a tell (Kylere, kailere, kylire) when I am on for any help or info you need. Except Midnyte and Kookie of course, I do not have that much time, or Xzion because I do not have that much patience.
She Dreams in Digital
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I think after reading your posts in the CT forum (that everyone on veeshan had hilariously free and easy access to), nobody is going to ask you for any fucking advice beyond best place to get a $5 blowjob in Flint.

And no, neither myself nor my mother live in Flint, so you will have to dig deeper into your intellectual reserves for a witty comeback.
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

Kylere wrote:I do not have that much time, or Xzion because I do not have that much patience.
Like we didn't gather that back when CT was steamrolling guilds in EQ?
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

kyoukan wrote:nobody is going to ask you for any fucking advice beyond best place to get a $5 blowjob in Flint.
damn, i thought he got married to her so she wouldn't charge him 5 dollars.

tough break man.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

kyoukan wrote:And no, neither myself nor my mother live in Flint, so you will have to dig deeper into your intellectual reserves for a witty comeback.

At least we know that Flint Michigan is safe from soul stealing demon whores.
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Ahh Kookie that Hate thing still really does make you mad, I am sorry that it hurt your feeligns that much, and I hope you seek treatment soon.
She Dreams in Digital
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Zamtuk wrote:
kyoukan wrote:nobody is going to ask you for any fucking advice beyond best place to get a $5 blowjob in Flint.
damn, i thought he got married to her so she wouldn't charge him 5 dollars.

tough break man.
Zamtuk, I think we both know you are my bitch, so keep on flapping your pussy lips.
She Dreams in Digital