Scion tC

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Scion tC

Post by Siji »

So I don't need a new car, but I'm getting the itch to get a new car.. I don't want to spend an assload of money (or I'd get a 350z) because I really don't drive that much.. But the Scion tC's look pretty good for the price and such. I'd thought about the xA's, but read somewhere they're going to be replaced with something else next year; I'm not into buying end of life automobiles.

Anyone have any experience with these?

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

They are Toyotas.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

If that's your price range, it's probably one of the best cars available (though I'd take a look at the Mazda 3 -- think the 3 might be a bit more but it's a nice car). I found the internal build quality of the car to be pretty plasticy and cheap, but as Miir said, it's a Toyota and they run forever.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Scion tC

Post by Aabidano »

Siji wrote:I'd thought about the xA's, but read somewhere they're going to be replaced with something else next year; I'm not into buying end of life automobiles.
Why? Shouldn't be an issue from a parts perspective, other than sheet metal everything interchanges with other Toyotas.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

End of life is better than buying begin of life. Most of the bugs worked out!

What do you have now? Seems like a large expense just to have something you admit to not really needing.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Car companies have to provide parts for a car for 9 years after it is taken out of production if I'm not mistaken.

The tC is actually the first Scion designed and produced for the US market. The xA and xB are just rebadged and slightly modified previous models sold in Asia. At least that is what I was told.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Life isn't always about need, it's also about enjoyment.

Their being Toyotas is one of the reasons I've been considering them. I don't know much about Mazda, but I'll have to look into them. If the 3 is the one I'm thinking of, I'm not too crazy about the body shape. The new Accords are nice, but I hate the integrated radio/AC system. If I can't put an aftermarket radio in, I'm not interested. Very, very stupid design. The Acura RSX's are nice too.. but the dashboard is just boring to look at. Least the 2005's that I looked at before were.

The price range isn't so much as important, but like I said I don't drive that much so I don't see a reason to buy a car with a mortage size payment each month. Just something inexpensive and fun to drive.

The xA's, after looking at them further, are fugly. End of life or not, I wouldn't buy one. Same with the xB's. I'd been looking at the Cellica's before, until they discontinued them. :( Guess they just replaced that buyer line with the tC's.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

The newer Mazdas seem kind of pricey to me for what you're getting. It's a nice car, but Mazda quality has historically been below Toyota and Honda. They run forever, but start to rattle after a wihle. The prices used to reflect that.

The VW dealer in Brandon has a bunch of diesel Jettas in stock. Something else in the same general range to look at.
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

A good friend of mine just bought one about 6-7 months ago.

While its not a car I would own it is a damn nice car. Price is respectable and the build quality and features along with "feel" was very nice.

Riding around its feels like a much more expensive ride that what you pay for it.
Sendarie
Hoarmurath
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Hoarmurath »

My wife and I bought a (blue) Scion tC for her to drive, and she absolutely loves it. The car itself is rock solid, with a Toyota Camry engine/drivetrain that provides plenty of power (for her) as well as good fuel economy. Also, while the car is rather inexpensive, it doesn't "feel" inexpensive, if you know what I mean. It feels like a solid car. Scion's are also pretty "hip" if you're into that kind of thing, and seem to enjoy an almost cult following.

Personally, I think it would be a great choice.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Plus you can supercharge it! 8)
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

Kelshara wrote:Plus you can supercharge it! 8)
....oh jesus. Dont forget the NAWSSSSSS and stickers yo!
Sendarie
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

It is without a doubt a solid car
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Do you prefer the coupe styled cars in general? Or is just moderate cost, smaller, and fun to drive the criteria?

The Tiburon and the Civic are the only coupes I could think of, but if I had to chose from those three, I'd also go with the tC (just can't stand the Civic interior and I don't trust older modeled Hyundai's).

If you can wait a couple of months, the Honda Fit looks great and it looks to have the making as being better choice over the xA. I can't think of anything else off of the top of my head.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Chidoro wrote:Do you prefer the coupe styled cars in general? Or is just moderate cost, smaller, and fun to drive the criteria?

The Tiburon and the Civic are the only coupes I could think of, but if I had to chose from those three, I'd also go with the tC (just can't stand the Civic interior and I don't trust older modeled Hyundai's).

If you can wait a couple of months, the Honda Fit looks great and it looks to have the making as being better choice over the xA. I can't think of anything else off of the top of my head.
You don't like the new civic interior?

Jefferson
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:You don't like the new civic interior?
Don't like the exterior myself, interior is fine.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Pherr the Dorf wrote: You don't like the new civic interior?
Nah, I can't stand it is code for, it's really really snappy.

I sat in the car, drove it for awhile and the interior experience was right up there with the crap that is center dash consoles. And trust me, I'm a Honda guy before I try any other car
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

I'll admit, the split level dash is abit odd, the rest of it is refreshing imo. It's definately a much better car then that old tired (in the case of DX VP and LX non vtec) underpowered peices of metal I used to sell.

Side note, I can stick someone in a Ridgeline RT on a 42 month lease for the exact same as Civic with 2k down... there is logic for ya!

Jefferson
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Sendarie wrote:
Kelshara wrote:Plus you can supercharge it! 8)
....oh jesus. Dont forget the NAWSSSSSS and stickers yo!
rofl actually the supercharger on the tC would be interesting for a daily driver. Pops it up to 200something HP which is fine for a DD with a little kick.