Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Food question

Post by Funkmasterr »

I just got back from New York a few days ago, and I am already disgusted by the bland and otherwise boring food in the better part of the rest of the country.

The one thing I liked a lot when I was there were from the dominican restaraunts (and jamaican actually) that they simply called "patties".

They are in some kind of a shell, with seasoned beef and sometimes cheese and pepperoni. Sounds really simple but I think its a cross between what they season the beef with , and the shell its in.

What I need to know, is if someone knows what I am talking about, and knows what the shell you put them in is. I desparately want to make these at home so I can at least pretend like im not in minnesota once in a while.
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

Ahh, Jamaican meat patties!

For the filling you cook up ground beef/pork/goat/what have you with salt, pepper, hot sauce, curry, allspice, hot peppers, onion and a splash of dark rum. If you can get some Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning add a little of that to the mix as you saute it.

The dough is a dense dough, mostly flour and lard (or shortening) with some paprika or annatto added for colour. Add just enough water to make the dough clump, knead very slightly and roll out into circles. Chill them a bit, then spoon the filling in and bake at 400 or so until browned.

You should try curried goat sometime, that's my favourite Jamaican food. The servers at Sandals were like "you sure you want curried goat mon?" when I ordered it there. Fucking yum, watch out for bones though.

For breakfast, ackee and saltfish is great also.