Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

10/18/05 DVD Releases

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Batman Begins - Must own. I bought the Special addition stricktly for the 3D cover. I'm such a consumer whore.

All the Batman movies had 2-disc special additions released today (I bought The first one only). There's also an Anthology with all 4, but I figure I'm only going to watch the first one :P

The Big Lebowski SE - I bought this because I never owned the first release and it was only 12$.

Land of the Dead - I passed on this one. I saw it in the theater and I'll wait until I see it for 10$ on sale. Don't get me wrong, it was decent, but I'm in no rush for a repeat viewing, especially with a 19$ sale price.

Saw SE - I was very close to buying this and I may still pick it up this weekend. It has a free ticket to see Saw 2, so I would only be paying about 4$ for it and the packaging is totally awesome. It has "blood" on the clear cover you can move around. I'm a sucker for gimic packaging...

Next week is a pretty dead week for DVD releases, with only Tales from the Crypt Season 2 on my "to buy" list. However, Novemeber is a fucking goldmine, with such titles as Star Wars Episode 3, Office Space SE (I never bought the first release), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, War of the Worlds, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Family Guy Season 4, Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo, and some other big summer blockbusters.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hmmm what's on the Office Space SE? I wouldn't mind seeing some cut scenes.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

when's The Aristocrats coming out?
Burke
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Burke »

Aristocrats gets released on January 24.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

I can't understand how some people buy DVD's every week =P I can barely stand seeing a movie 2 or 3 times when I LOVE it. That being said, I only have about 10 DVD's, half being sequals (Austin Powers 1 2 3, Matrix, etc) and the other half being random movie gifts.

I don't get it. You guys must be rich.
miir and I are best friends. <3
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

When one of my friends made a similar comment about my DVD collection, I pointed out that neither of us smoke or drink which frees up a lot of disposable income. The best thing about owning a shitload of DVDs is being able to watch what you want, when you want. We started out small but through Christmas, birthdays, ect., it started to get rather beefy. We're at the point now where we're seeking out collections and older movies we liked at one time or another. I think the majority of our "must haves" are out of the way. I'm only buying new releases and any titles I see onsale for 10$ or less. New releases are touch and go. At times I can go weekes without buying a single movie, but then 3 titles and a couple boxed sets are released on the same day :P I'd say I buy about a movie per week on average, but it should be taken into account that I no longer watch movies in the theater. All in all, it's not as expensive as it sounds. WHen you see 400+ DVDs in a library, you have to realize they've been bought over the course of 3-4 years. Fuck, a book habit is much more expensive!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

i buy a lot of used dvd's myself. any good used dvd place will get you a dvd for 7-14 dollars a week or two after is been out. not to mention a lot of boxed sets are like 30 dollars where as new they would cost about 80-100.
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

My brother buys DVD's quite often because its just as expensive as going to the movies with his wife and two kids. Aside from the fact that he can watch it over and over if he likes it, have the comfort of his own home and cheaper food/drinks. I know some movies really ought to be watched on a big screen, but I can see how needing to pay for 4 people to go see a movie worth buying DVD's.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Even though I don't watch DVDs, I'll buy my favorites. I'll still go out to the newsgroups and grab a Divx, Xvid , etc copy of it for my HD as that's so much more convenient and also spares me the time of encoding the copy I own myself.

Another good reason to buy DVDs is if you are unsure if a movie will be any good and grab a copy off the net. If it turns out to be good, buying the DVD is a good way show support for a quality movie.

Until HD-DVD's come out, the problem with DVDs is that:

-they have inferior quality to a copy you can get off of HD-HBO.

-they are less convenient to play and replay than a copied version on your hard drive (HDs are cheap!) When burnable HD DVD's are mainstream, you'll be able to archive ~20 high quality Divx/Xvid movies on one HD-DVD if you prefer more permanent storage than a HD.

Basically, I'm buying DVDs to support movies I like as their image quality doesn't cut it anymore with the new generation of HD equipment.

That should change with HD-DVDs and the built in ability to burn your own backup (hoping that means being able to store it on your HD as well)
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
When one of my friends made a similar comment about my DVD collection, I pointed out that neither of us smoke or drink which frees up a lot of disposable income. The best thing about owning a shitload of DVDs is being able to watch what you want, when you want. We started out small but through Christmas, birthdays, ect., it started to get rather beefy. We're at the point now where we're seeking out collections and older movies we liked at one time or another. I think the majority of our "must haves" are out of the way. I'm only buying new releases and any titles I see onsale for 10$ or less. New releases are touch and go. At times I can go weekes without buying a single movie, but then 3 titles and a couple boxed sets are released on the same day :P I'd say I buy about a movie per week on average, but it should be taken into account that I no longer watch movies in the theater. All in all, it's not as expensive as it sounds. WHen you see 400+ DVDs in a library, you have to realize they've been bought over the course of 3-4 years. Fuck, a book habit is much more expensive!
<-- Poor college student. I'm not a drinker nor smoker, I just don't have any regular income =P
miir and I are best friends. <3
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Some of my friends that don't have a lot of extra cash so they just borrow my movies :P If I charged 1$ per borrow, I'd most likely be able to buy 1 movie per week from the rentals. Oh well, I'm happy to share.
Adelrune Argenti
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Adelrune Argenti »

I don't have time to go to the movies much plus the cost of two people going to the movies is more than just waiting 4 months and buying the DVD. Plus, I have something to show for the experience which I can watch again.

Also, I will second the comment that a book habit is more expensive. I have that big time and have run out of room for books. I hate adding up how much I spend on books a year but its my only vice really.
Adelrune Argenti