DirecTV "mod"?

Support, Discussion, Reviews
eOmniz
Gets Around
Gets Around

DirecTV "mod"?

Post by eOmniz »

My company is investigating a way to make DirecTivo work over VOIP. It isn't working because it goes from digital to analog like 6 times and we lose too much signal. We could fix this by enabling the USB ports on the DTV box (DTV cancels accounts that don't connect when they use service). Has anyone done anything like this? They aren't working with us at all and was just curious if anyone has experience with something like this.
Current Incarnations:
Flintler, EQ2, Crushbone, HOOAC
Grahmiam, WoW, Firetree, The Crazy 88
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Look for info here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php?

I have the HR10-250 but haven't modified it.

I know what you're talking about though. I don't have a land line phone so when I first purchased the DireTivo unit, I went to Radio Shack and bought a Vonage VOIP package. It took me severel HUNDRED tries to get the initial setup call from my Tivo unit via Vonage phone to complete and that was just a short call that downloads the list of local phone numbers. I then returned the Vonage crap phone package to Radio Shack for two reasons. One, they double charged me as the retard at the store I went to insisted I set up my account at the store which it expressly says not to do in the instructions. If someone at a store asks you for your password to enter for you, a light bulb should go off that something's not right which it did. I refused to give him a password and so I ended up behind counter entering info into the cash register. lol. I said, "don't you think it's strange that you're asking me to give you a passord verbally that is linked to my credit card info and new phone account? Never ever ever go to a Radio Shack unless you absolutely have to (which I did in the case of needing a quick way to make a "land" line phone call) They have less knowledge than Best Buy employees. The second reason is I spent several hours with Vonage Tech support to get my phone working because the retard at Radio Shack entered the wrong codes at the store and then another 30 minutes with customer service to get the second set of Vonage charges removed from my credit card.

You must make that stupid initial call. After that, your DirecTivo doesn't need to be connected to a phone as everything is downloaded directly from the satellite. What you will get is a daily message after the initial 30 days that reminds you that you haven't made a daily phone call in XX amount of days. My message says I haven't made a call in 300+ days.

The whole thing about the land line is that Tivo wants to gather info about your viewing habits. Fuck them. Requiring a land line is lame these days. You also need the land line to download new software if it's updated. If you really need that, just take your Tivo unit to a friend's house and let it make it's outbound call once a year or so.
eOmniz
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by eOmniz »

Thanks Winnow, that was exactly what I needed to know.
Current Incarnations:
Flintler, EQ2, Crushbone, HOOAC
Grahmiam, WoW, Firetree, The Crazy 88