Need Help, what would you do?

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Need Help, what would you do?

Post by Tyek »

In the spirit of a couple people who posted about jobs, I am asking for help with a quandry I have.

For 1 month I had a company offer me a job everyday. The pay was the same, better insurance, company car (i get mileage only), life insurance, 401K, pension, and unlimited quarterly bonuses (my current company caps at 5K a quarter and bases it on how the sales team does together). The new company has individual bonuses, as well as smaller team based ones.

I said no 4 times. I like where I am at. I am the top sales guy and they treat me well. We went on vacation and two weeks later they call again. This time offering 10K a year base more, plus guaranteeing 6K for the rest of this year and 10K for next. They also offer 2 weeks vacation instead of the normal starting time of 1 week. I also get annual raises of 1-6% at the other company. I say I will listen and they fly me overnight to South Carolina, I meet them for 3 hours and fly back to LA (I am exhausted by the way).

Here is the issue. My current company is great. They love me and treat me well. We do have tons of paperwork and they are know for being hard workers and expecting more from their company, but I can do it in my sleep and be good at it. The new job has a few similiar customers, so I will know the base, but it is a new product and much more utility market based then I am doing now. So do you follow the money, start over at the bottom and have to relearn things? Or do you stick to what you know, where you are happy and where people respect you already?

I am probably overthinking this. My wife is in school and has a year left to become a nurse. So in one year our income will rise significantly and some of the financial burden will lift off my shoulders, so the money is really more important only now, in a year the money will just be used to buy her the damn Mini Cooper convertible she wants. Hehe.

Thanks for the imput and sorry about the rambling, I thought this thing over the entire time I was in the air and all night last night, so my brain is fried.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

if it aint broke, don't fix it.
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Tyek,

A few years ago I hated my life, my wife and the world at large enough to be a right wing republican. and one day I had a bumper sticker level relevation that has changed everything negative in my life positive. So far in 2 and a half years it has not done me wrong.

That simply is, "The hard choice is always the right choice" take it for what it is worth, it could mean either way for someone else, but YOU know what the hard choice is, even when no one else has a clue.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Does your current company know you are being shopped by someone else?

If so, it sounds as though you are comfortable enough with your current job to renegotiate a bit. Obviously, don't ask for the world, but if you can get more and stay put, that is what I would do. Kinda like having your cake and eating it too.

Oh yeah, nurses make great money. Your wife's added income will be very welcome indeed. Just the sign on bonuses can pay of her college expenses if you go to the right hospital.
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

If you are happy, don't move. Happiness at a job can be an elusive thing.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

if your current company loves you and you generate revenue for them, then tell them about your new job offer and you're thinking about taking it because of your financial situation and the fact they have better bennies. if you are truly valuable and make a lot of money for them, they will negotiate with you. there's no reason why you can't have the best of both worlds if you're good at your job.
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Does your current company know you are being shopped by someone else?

If so, it sounds as though you are comfortable enough with your current job to renegotiate a bit. Obviously, don't ask for the world, but if you can get more and stay put, that is what I would do. Kinda like having your cake and eating it too.
Bingo.

If you are happy where you are working - few people can say that, I wouldn't move. However as Fairweather said, you might be able to use this to get a bump in pay, so get the benefit of staying where you are, and raising your pay - that's what I would do.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

If the company I am talking to was not such a well known and respected company then I would automatically say no again. As for the other company I am at, they know I was being approached, but I am already the highest paid employee, sans them of course. They mentioned a small raise when they heard, but nothing has come of it. I am not sure they can match, they would probably have every other employee asking for raises.

As for value, I guess that is a subjective thing, but myself and one other salesman combine for over 25% of the company revenue, the other 22 split the 73% or so.

The one thing that really is making me think of switching is insurance. At my current employer we are small so I pay 750 a month in premiums for a 40 dollar copay and crap insurance. I spent over 12K the last 2 years in premiums and other medical. The new company will cost me 300 a month and include disability insurance, life insurance and better coverage.

That said. I still feel loyal to the main one. I left them 3 years ago for another company and was LIFO'd out with the last layoff. My current company came back after me hardcore and I have been back 2 years.

Edit - Ok I have to share this. I explained to the company that I interviewed with that I am very conservative in these types of situations. I told them a story of me as a kid, that still applies to me today. When I was young, I was sitting in my high chair and my mom set up a row of jelly beans. I ate one and looked at her. She tried to get me to eat more, but I would not. When she put another one down I would eat it. I was fine as long as I knew my supply was steady. I told him this story and he understood. Today I just got a Saturday delivery FED-EX box of Jelly Beans with a note that says.

Bryan,

We have enough Jelly Beans to keep your plate full for years to come...
looking forward to your positive response...

LMAO.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Honestly, this new job sounds like it is damn good. Not sure what you should do, but I know that if I was in that position I'd definately go for the new job...then again, my dream is to make $100,000+ a year.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

You have to make that to live in California.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Money isn't everything Tyek. There's a secretary where I work with an MBA that doesn't want to go anywhere because she loves the stress free position she's in and is comfortable with it.

A few thousand more and a miserable life isn't a good trade off. Are there any differences in schedule? I'd kill for 4 X 10's as opposed to 5 X 8 weeks and would take a drop in pay simply because one more totally free day a week holds extreme value to me. Also, take into consideration a job you can completely forget about the minute you walk out the door as opposed to one that haunts you during your personal time because of numbers you must meet every week/month, etc.

If the jobs are basically the same and you just need to learn a new product, you might consider the new job if the area you would work in is acceptable to you and your wife. It sounded like the new job might have less paperwork? That's a plus. How about opportunity? The new company is larger with more possibilities in upward mobility? Size of the company is also a factor. In a small company, there's less flexibility which causes more stress when you take vacation days or are sick as opposed to a position that won't cause as much havok if you happen to be gone for these reasons.

I'm on the verge of leaving my present company accepting a new job with a big bump in pay. The reason I'm considering it is not the pay but that my current job is starting to keep me a little more busy and if I'm going to be busy, I may as well make some more money for the effort.

Here's your checklist:

-will new job impact your personal time more or less?
-which job offers more opportunity down the road?
-does either job have an advantageous work schedule?
-which job requires less "busy work"?
-is the new location more or less desirable to you and your spouse?
-will you be losing lots of local friends that you see often?
-job stability?

If you do accept the new job, leave your current job without burning any bridges so you can come back if the new job sucks. Having a backup job to return to is always a good thing. Your current employer should have no problem understanding that a sizable jump in pay is worth you leaving the company unless they can offer you a reason to stay. Blame the decision on your wife to your current employer so it's easier to return later if need be.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Edit - Ok I have to share this. I explained to the company that I interviewed with that I am very conservative in these types of situations. I told them a story of me as a kid, that still applies to me today. When I was young, I was sitting in my high chair and my mom set up a row of jelly beans. I ate one and looked at her. She tried to get me to eat more, but I would not. When she put another one down I would eat it. I was fine as long as I knew my supply was steady. I told him this story and he understood. Today I just got a Saturday delivery FED-EX box of Jelly Beans with a note that says.

Bryan,

We have enough Jelly Beans to keep your plate full for years to come...
looking forward to your positive response...
That's a pretty sharp recruiter/boss if they did that for you. It sounds like they want you pretty bad.

You should have told them the story about buying cars instead of jelly beans! :)
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

If you do accept the new job, leave your current job without burning any bridges so you can come back if the new job sucks. Having a backup job to return to is always a good thing. Your current employer should have no problem understanding that a sizable jump in pay is worth you leaving the company unless they can offer you a reason to stay. Blame the decision on your wife to your current employer so it's easier to return later if need be.
I already did that once, this is my second time with the company. Is it more paperwork or less, I don't know. I do know I will have far less meetings. I am expected to entertain more. I know the guy in No Cal takes his customers golfing every Friday. I asked them to have 2 or three salesmen call me next week so I can ask them questions. I know they will give me the pretty picture, but I should be able to get a better grip on the paperwork.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Stay, because of the jelly beans.

they know you, they love you. that alone is worth it.

You will be the FNG at the new position. and if there are ever lay offs there... guess what. yer out.

Keep your tenuer. Dont give up a great position in a company that does care to be the fng for a 10% increase (and a move?)
Sick Balls!
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

I would say give your current job to match what you are being offered, if they can't or won't, leave them for the new job, but as said above burn as few bridges as you possibly can. It sounds like the new job is a great opportunity and the recruiter sure sounds pretty sharp.
Fortune favors the brave!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

I think I will talk with the salespeople from the new job and get a feel for the paperwork, travel etc, then make a final decision. I will give my current employer every chance to match, but I doubt they can. If I hit my numbers I can make as much as 50K a year more. Just the base and benefits equal about 1500-2000 a month more for me. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Oh and the new company just had a plant sent to the house thanking me for coming out. Lol I have jelly beans and a plant now.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Make a list of the differences between your offer and your job. Look at the list and decide how much your current company would have to offer you to keep you. Make a second list of the additional benefits you would need to be given to stay. Give both lists to your current company. See what they say.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

You are right to weigh both options. Companies will give much less thought in most cases as far as weighing the value of employees after all... You have solid business ethics, and I am sure both companies understand and appreciate it.

However, being loyal and being smart are two different things. I think your honest approach will help you find your answer. Also make sure you have a lock before attempting any serious negotiations. ;) Sometimes the only way to get a decent raise is to change companies. All aboat the leverage!
en kærlighed småkager
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

When negotiating with your current company, don't expect them to match an offer. If you are happy there and they are willing to show even a smaller raise then I would stay. By smaller I would mean meeting you at least halfway between your current salary and the new company's offer.

This new company sounds pretty interested in having you come to work for them. That kind of interest is pretty rare and I think I would take it given the chance.
Deward
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Need Help, what would you do?

Post by Aabidano »

Not knowing more details, I'd stay where you are myself. Money isn't everything, being in a situation where you enjoy what you do and the folks you work with is hard to come by. Assuming you can get by on the salary you make until your other half starts working, why leave a good situation?

By "new product", do you mean a new\young company? If so, odds are they'll get bought by Megacorp in a couple years if the product(s) is good. If it flops over time you're looking for another job with a failed comapny on your resume.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

The new company is a 2 billion dollar market leader. The company I am with is a 200 million dollar local firm. I am going to talk with my bosses tomorrow and make a final decision. If I quit and get my 2 week pay I am heading to Vegas to celebrate if I can find a sitter. If I just match the bonus of the person I am replacing, I will see an additional 45K a year before the benefits and while money is money, that is a big amount of it.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Winnow wrote:Money isn't everything Tyek. There's a secretary where I work with an MBA that doesn't want to go anywhere because she loves the stress free position she's in and is comfortable with it.
I'm going to have to read through Tyek's messages regarding what his work schedule in sales is actually like, but, money is everything in sales. Now, I'm not sure what Tyek sells but the sales folks that try and sneak shit contracts my way make veritible shit-tons of cash. They are paid to bust their ass. If you're good, and by Tyek's co.'s gestures, he is, you better damn well get your current company up to speed or move on out.

If you don't value your contributions, they won't. Ask for it, get it now, sales is lucrative, but it's a bitch of a lifestyle so it has to be earned while your iron is hot.

Bright sales folk can file into nearly everything regarding their business. Upper mgm't values folks who, flat out, know how to make a buck. Don't devalue that, it's your strength in the marketplace.

I think the important thing to differentiate for some people is to understand that certain positions are subject to certain criteria that may be vastly different from their own. Some analyst walks up to me and asks if s/he wants a raise of 5k because they are getting an offer for 8k somewhere else doing the same thing, s/he may just be trying to leverage themselves a little better because they feel they are undervalued. They like their work, they just want to remain at par. They like their work, and as a result, are willing to go a little under their perceived value because they do enjoy their work. If a sales guy in my business wants a raise because they are looking at options that don't breach their non-competitive agreements and they earna ton of cash for the co., you pay. You don't want this person selling their items with the knowledge of yours. You can shift an entire division of field sales as a result.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Tyek sells electrical components. I think I am good at my job. When I asked a couple of customers what they thought of the company I was considering, they asked if I would consider working for them.

I work a lot of hours at my current job, we are known for having hard work schedules, and this one would be easier I think. I would have to learn some new products, but I pick things up fairly quickly.

I think after talking with a couple of the people there, and with a couple people I work with that I respect, that I will probably make the change. I am going to talk with my bosses about the situation tomorrow and it may be a shitty day because I like them and do not want to hurt them. I do realize though that if they could get someone for 50K less then me to do the job, they would. I guess I need to worry about my wife and kids first.

I want to thank everyone here who contributed, your thoughts were all carefully considered. This has been the hardest 2 months I have had in my professional career.
Solipsis
No Stars!

Post by Solipsis »

Do what ever will make you and your wife and kids the most content.
Often for them having a happy and stress-free dad will be much more valuable day-to-day than you making an extra k per month.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I say go for it. The cost of living in South Carolina has got to be a whole lot less than living in LA. I have never been to LA or SC so I can't comment on the quality of life. I can guess however that it will be better than in LA, at least from my perspective.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Sorry if I did not clairfy that. The job is in LA. South Carolina is where the Corporate office is. I will be calling on a number of the same accounts I am calling on now.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Tyek,

I've been in the same situation many times over the past 10 years except that each time I would have to move from Arkansas to CA or Chicago etc... each time I eventually turned it down to take the "safe" route. I liked my job, the company loved me because I made them money or kept their costs down. However now 5 years at a job I dearly love the pressures are starting to set in.

While I've been responsible for partially responsible for almost a half a billion in sales over the past 3 years my team doesn't get comission. The first year I got here everyone took a 5% decrease in pay, we got that back 2 years later and found out last month we aren't get raises again this year. As my wife works here as well it's really starting to take it's toll oun our financial situation.

What I would say is this, work is what you make of it (most of the time). I love my job and those people I work around. Most of them I have known for over 10 years as we all came from my last job over to here. However I only knew a few of them before that position. I have to admit that the last year at most old position was living hell, partially due to my own choices of not letting my guys get the shaft but hell none the less. If the company wants you, will pay you well and is in a better financial situation as a company, that might be the best place to go. If its a decent place, you can make it a very happy place for you.

Marb
Seebs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Seebs »

Marbus, that company sounds mismanaged, poorly run and a horrible place to be right now.

I'm guessing that morale is low and people are beginning to jump ship there.

Just a guess.
Seeber
looking for a WOW server
Stalker Vacio
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Stalker Vacio »

"It's better to regret something you HAVE done...then to regret something you haven't. Then you don't spend so much time wishing that you could have enjoyed doing something when you were younger, or had the money, or for whatever reason is stopping you from doing it now."
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=73635

Personally, for better or worse, I like change...keeps things interesting. If the price is right I say go for it.
"Patience is a foolish virtue. It never gets you what you want when you want it. " -King Zad
Voidstalker
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Seebs wrote:Marbus, that company sounds mismanaged, poorly run and a horrible place to be right now.

I'm guessing that morale is low and people are beginning to jump ship there.

Just a guess.
Too many people in that company play EQ. Bad sign.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Wow,

Well now my company is offering to get close to the 20K plus side deals and soft issues.

The plot thickens.

I am dying here. If I was not a loyal person I would have left already, but the smaller company has been great and wow they made a serious effort to keep me.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

It's better to regret something you HAVE done...then to regret something you haven't.
...and when you get home, tell your mother, SATA, SATAN, SATAN! :D

ok, maybe misquoted there....

Back to topic.

Wow, that is a tough one Tyek. I was in a similar situation last year when a mess of people left my former company. The CEO basically said, "Rich, I really need you here to help keep the company going. Here is a 10K raise." Well, 3 months later, I was laid off. Startup companies are cruel like that when the burn rate is too high.

Remember, this is YOUR life and you are responsible for both it and those that you take care of. Go with your gut, man. Either way, it is good to see folks with good business ethics. Do what is right for YOU and YOURS...that is all! :D

-Rich
en kærlighed småkager
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

This would be the letter I give to my bosses, what do you guys think?

I know that resignation letters are supposed to be short and sweet, professional and to the point. If you would bear with me I would like to break that tradition. First lets get to the formalities, I am tendering my resignation, I am giving my formal 2 week notice, my last day will be Wednesday August 24th, 2005.

This choice is not strictly about money. It is about my future. You hired me because I am driven to succeed and I believe in my short time back we have done that. That same drive is challenging me to try this new venture, this new challenge, and the possibility of promotion is too strong. I know at ******* I can be the best salesperson, but I can never be a Regional Vice President, or any other position. It was never my goal to stay a salesperson my whole career, I feel that I have learned a lot about how to manage a territory and also people during my career and this new position will give me the opportunity to pursue that goal.

I also had to consider the insurance issues. My son is still on growth hormones and may need more surgery. Medical costs are killing me right now as Todd knows and the insurance at ****** is very good.

Hopefully you have not stopped reading at this point because I wanted to say some things personally to you both. Never in my professional life have I had to make such a difficult choice. I have spent sleepless nights, including today on this issue and I know that today is going to be a horrible day for me.

Kurt has always said he wants his people to be better when they leave then when they started. I know that is true in my case. You took a chance on me 14 years ago. I was green and unpolished and you turned me into someone people want to work with, someone people want to hire. Everything that I have done I owe in part to you. I will never forget that.

At the same time I watched you build this little company into a powerhouse. I cannot express enough my admiration for how you have done this. The company that I came back to in 2003 was a much different one then the one I left in 2001. You survived the downtimes better then anyone I know and you will no doubt be a major figure in the market for years to come.

Kurt, your marketing prowess is second to none. I know that I will be stealing your ideas for years to come. I have leaned on you for support from day 1 and you have always been there. Thank you.

Todd, my bond with you is more akin to a big brother. You have always been there when I wanted to talk and have the quickest mind I have ever met. The fact that you called me as you got off the plane to try and keep me means a lot to me.

KK has always been a great boss and I will miss her tremendously. The reaction she and Shawn gave me when I called means a lot. There was no finger pointing, no accusations, they listened as friends, told me what to consider and let me know that they understood how difficult this decision was.

I know that tomorrow will be a new day and ****** will easily survive my departure. I think that is why I am ready to go. You proved before you do not need me to thrive. You will pick up right where I left off. Hopefully I have helped get a couple of my accounts back on the right track for you.

Thank you again for the amazing opportunity, I am sad to leave, but this opportunity holds huge potential for me. I hope that when I see you both we can still talk. I may one day be in position to hire an agency and I know of no better one then yours.

Sincerely,

Bryan
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

make the people who want to hire you give you a better offer.

then take that unless your current employer wants to BEAT it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It sounds like you could use the extra money with the medical issues you mentioned.

After reading that letter, your current employer is still angered by your departure then it's for their own selfish reasons and looking out for themselves, not you. If they're smart, they'll leave the door open for you to return if things don't work out.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

I agree with Winnow :)

Check the letter again I think there were a couple of typos but I may be wrong. Otherwise is sounds very sincere.

If medical expenses are killing you and it's cheaper at the new company I think that is a good decision. If they hire you the insurance company will have to offer you insurance regards of previous conditions in most cases. That could be a very good thing. Sorry to hear about your son have to take hormones, I'm sure that is a difficult thing for all of you.

Sincerely,
Marb
Fyndina
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fyndina »

Only one person in the world has YOU as their #1 priority.

That is my normal guideline for when thinking about job changes etc.
Ardel i'Fallegar, Wizard long dead

Fyndina i'Fallegar, L60 necro, Veeshan
Aateni i'Fallegar, L65 SK, Veeshan

Korte i'Fallegar, L43 Illusionist, Lucan

Gun Carrying Liberal
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Thank you again everyone. Last night I came home from work completely drained over this and my wife said "get your ass up I got us a babysitter and I am taking you to go get drunk and forget about this whole thing for a bit". After 7 Captain Morgan Tattoo (A great new drink by the way) drinks I felt relaxed. I got home could not sleep again and at 5:30 pacific phoned my boss and resigned. I feel a weight is lifted.

I do not know what will happen at work yet. He will call me back and tell me how to proceed. I may get 2 weeks paid time and be asked to not work, I may have to work for 2 weeks, either way I have made my choice and I feel better.

Thanks again for the help.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tyek wrote:. I got home could not sleep again and at 5:30 pacific phoned my boss and resigned. I feel a weight is lifted.

Thanks again for the help.
I hope you accepted the other job first before resigning! : )

Grats on the new job!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

LOL, Yes I accepted the other job. They are very happy and the owner of the company I am leaving will not return my calls today. I am meeting with my sales manager tomorrow to go over my account folders and turn my stuff in and the new company said they will start me whenever I want. They said if tomorrow is my last day and I want to go to Vegas Monday, they will start me Monday and to enjoy Vegas while getting paid from both companies for 2 weeks. Nice.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sounds like you made out like a bandit to me :) grats
Xorian
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Xorian »

Good for you if a weight has been lifted ! Congratulation on new job.

Better keep us informed in like 3 month to see how the new company treating you !
Xorian the (sometimes) drunken ench

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black, He's gone so far to find no hope, He's never coming back"
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Excellent. Congrats on the new job, vacation, and a weight lifted from your shoulders. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Aye grats :D
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Congrats Tyek, sounds like this was a decision made with yours and your family's best interests in mind.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Thanks again everyone, will let you know how it is going after a few months.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

I wanted to update this thread since the year is ending.

Thanks again for all your imput. I did make the change and the results so far have been

WONDERFUL

My new job is challenging, it is hard, I used to be the go-to person with my old company. The one who did the trainings, made the best numbers, etc. That has not happened at the new company yet, but I am learning and it is kinda fun learning new things. My customers have taken me under their wings and teach me things, I get them answers when they need help and I learn at the same time. Quite simply, the job is challenging again, and I love that. My mind needed the work.

The benefits are significantly better. My next company car is going to be a Dodge Charger, and this is honetly the first company I have been to that says family first and seems to mean it.

My boss is great, he looks just like Cooper Anderson, has a great sense of humor and lets us do our thing. If he has a suggestion he makes it, but he does not interfer or screw it up.

The hours are more flexible. I spend more time at the home office with this job, so I see the wife more, I schedule my week, so I can watch the kids if the wife has to be at school for something.

Finally, they knew I needed knee surgery when they hired me, I warned them before they offered the job and true to their words, they are letting me work from my home while I recover from a very very significant surgery. I am scheduling training times with them, so I can learn while I am at home. They gave me a list of books to read to learn more about the industry and they have been fully supportive of the situation. When the surgery was postponed, they let me reschedule even though now I will be missing when the work starts getting busy. They have some people flyig out to work with me (drive me around) and visit accounts, so they have been wonderful.

It probably did not hurt that I was up 33% my first three months, but they have been great. Thanks again for all your suggestions, I feel I made the best choice and you all helped. And no I am not giving you any money for the suggestions, maybe some VV's though.

Sorry for rambling, I have been working out 3 hours a day getting ready for surgery and the vicodan I take after makes me chatty.
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Cool Tyek, those hard choices surely start off tough but give such great returns.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Congrats on the new job... if my sales job didnt challange me, I would quit (again, Ive quit 4 times in 5 years :))...

Knee surgery sucks ass... I just had my ACL reconstructed, and let me tell you, the fix is more painfull than the problem, but if it gets me skiing again next year Im in....
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Having an Osiotomy http://www.webmd.com/hw/osteoarthritis/hw125548.asp

and Carticel procedure - http://www.carticel.com/home.asp as well as fixing a torn ACL and PCL. I am working out 3 hours a day to build up my muscles for a hopefully faster recovery.

Thanks again for all the well wishes and I hope your knee gets better Ransure.