Salvage

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Salvage

Post by Sueven »

I have a 1995 Subaru Legacy. I also have a 1987 Ford Taurus. The Taurus does not run (something is fucked up with the electrical system). Both of these vehicles are parked in my apartment parking lot. Based on the Taurus's non-functionality and the fact that I have to push it from spot to spot when construction folks work on our parking lot, I want to get rid of it.

The car itself is a piece of trash. It's not in such bad shape that it couldn't be restored to working condition with a little effort, but it is assuredly not worth the time or effort. Thus, I want to get the thing out of my possession as easily as possible.

I assume that I'll just have a salvage company come and take it away. My questions:

1. Will I need to have any papers in order? I'm very disorganized.
2. Is there any difference between one salvage place and another?
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

I've found that sometimes if there are parts on it worth a crap (tires, battery, even the metal can be used for scrap) a salvage yard will take it just to cut it apart and trade you even for the towing fees. Not sure if you need the title, I can't remember, haven't done it in several years.
nobody
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by nobody »

every ford i've ever known has had tons of electrical problems.
My goal is to live forever. So far so good.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. - Benjamin Franklin

خودتان را بگای
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Had to scrap an ancient dodge while I was in the US.. cooling system was screwed and it held together just long enough to drive it to the car yard. Even with the car being 'sold' to them for $0 I still needed the title.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Salvage

Post by Aabidano »

Sueven wrote:1. Will I need to have any papers in order? I'm very disorganized.
2. Is there any difference between one salvage place and another?
It varies by state, usually depending on the vehicles age. The state DMV pages should show it, at a minimum make sure you get a reciept showing the VIN to avoid future liability. FL has a form you can file for letting them know you no longer have custody\liability for the vehicle.

Prices you get will vary, it's not a bad idea to shop around a bit. Generally on cars once the glass sells off an older vehicle it gets smashed and recycled. On newer ones they may pull the drivetrain and plastic bits before doing that depending on demand.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
ooloof
No Stars!

Post by ooloof »

How bout trying to donate it and get a little write off? i had a car waaaay back in the day that i tried to get rid of and some places wanted me to pay a removal/towing fee. I thought of it more like, they are getting a parts car, but they think they are doing me/us a favor by throwing away our "junk". any yes, places vary with what they require, some places need titles some dont, some will do it for free, some wont.
Elder Ooloof
Retired