Bad news for time travel (and sci fi geeks!)

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Bad news for time travel (and sci fi geeks!)

Post by Nick »

Didn't think this was necessarily current events, as it is more a theoretical scientific thingymajingy.

Some of you sci-fi nerds (I am a little guilty myself) must be interested in this so I thought I would post the info below from this interesting little article I came across.
For budding time travellers, the future (or should that be the past?) is starting to look bleak.

Hypothetical tunnels called wormholes once looked like the best bet for constructing a real time machine.

These cosmic shortcuts, which link one point in the Universe to another, are favoured by science fiction writers as a means both of explaining time travel and of circumventing the limitations imposed by the speed of light.

The concept of wormholes will be familiar to anyone who has watched the TV programmes Farscape, Stargate SG1 and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

The opening sequence of the BBC's new Doctor Who series shows the Tardis hurtling through a "vortex" that suspiciously resembles a wormhole - although the Doctor's preferred method of travel is not explained in detail.

But the idea of building these so-called traversable wormholes is looking increasingly shaky, according to two new scientific analyses.

Full article at - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4564477.stm

Hope some of you find it interesting :)

I find this sort of thing really fascinating, although the extent of my knowledge in this field ends right about.....now.

Edit: WTF HAPPENED TO THE [YOU] CODE? Is it gone? Or did I just do it wrong? :( #-o
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm sure radio transmissions looked a little "shaky" back in the day too.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Time is neither linear or static, this has been proven, with that in mind anything is possible and everything is impossible.... NEXT!
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

[you] was never reinstalled (purposefully) by the admins during the red (theme) scare.
miir and I are best friends. <3
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Rellix wrote:[you] was never reinstalled (purposefully) by the admins during the red (theme) scare.
Booo, i want you.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I agree Pherr. We just haven't figured out a way of 'controlling' it.

I want [you] back too, help! We are being oppressed!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Time may not be static, but it is certainly linear. No experiment has ever shown time moving any direction other than forwards.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

time may or may not be linear, but there is absolutely a "direction" in which it flows.

The second law of thermodynamics is not something that is in doubt.

To use Steven Hawkings illustration of "the Arrow of Time", imagine a tea cup assembling itself from fragments on a floor, reclaiming its contents, and jumping upon a table.

<strike>i wasn't under the impression that it was a subject of serious debate as to whether time travel was ever possible.</strike> [fade] but[/fade] i'm no physicist =D

or to quote from his Chronology Protection Conjecture:
"Where are the hordes of tourists from the future?"
Homercles
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Homercles »

or to quote from his Chronology Protection Conjecture:
"Where are the hordes of tourists from the future?"
Us tourists are/were trained to blend seamlessly in with the culture in which we are/were asigned to.

I for one, dont believe the future has been written. Holding that belief, time travel is not possible.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

masteen wrote:Time may not be static, but it is certainly linear. No experiment has ever shown time moving any direction other than forwards.
You've obviously never been married.
Stalker Vacio
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Stalker Vacio »

Worm holes are real

0X 0X 0X 0X 0X 0X 0X
"Patience is a foolish virtue. It never gets you what you want when you want it. " -King Zad
Voidstalker